PDA

View Full Version : 20G Flash ipod

w00dy
Apr 17, 2006, 03:05 AM
My daughter had a 20G 4th Gen ipod, on which the hard drive died, and it was replaced under warranty. Seems to me that conventional hard drives are still vulnerable to rough treatment. With flash drives being free from this problem, and the 4G nano being so small, does anyone know how hard would it be for Apple to create a standard size ipod with 20 or 30G of flash drive?
:cool:

NicP
Apr 17, 2006, 03:39 AM
My daughter had a 20G 4th Gen ipod, on which the hard drive died, and it was replaced under warranty. Seems to me that conventional hard drives are still vulnerable to rough treatment. With flash drives being free from this problem, and the 4G nano being so small, does anyone know how hard would it be for Apple to create a standard size ipod with 20 or 30G of flash drive?
:cool:

Not hard, just expensive!

mfacey
Apr 17, 2006, 04:09 AM
The fact that Apple is using the only affordable flash drives in the nano and not in their entire range says enough. However, I'm guessing its just a matter of time before 20-100GB flash drives will become more common and more affordable.

BlizzardBomb
Apr 17, 2006, 04:29 AM
Yeah, in 10 years time we'll be like "Remember when the Nano only had 1GB!" and then someone will say "Ha! My Nano has 100GBs!".

Well anyway, maybe if you sign up to the AppleCare you can get a replacement if the HD would fail on a Hard Drive iPod.

Platform
Apr 17, 2006, 05:11 AM
There is a thumb drive with 64GB Flash memory...but it costs you $4500+ ;)

student_trap
Apr 18, 2006, 03:57 AM
There is a thumb drive with 64GB Flash memory...but it costs you $4500+ ;)

sheesh, considering how i tend to loose things like thumb drives, this would probably be a baaaaaad purchase!