PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Anticipation

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MacRumors
Apr 17, 2006, 06:45 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

The wait for the revised Intel iBook (aka MacBook) continues, alongside speculation about the release date of the MacBook. Several readers have pointed out analyst speculation (http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=14373) that the Intel iBook could be released as soon as tomorrow. This would be on the eve of Apple's Q2 2006 Financial Results (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/04/20060410074735.shtml).

If that date falls through, according to reports, internal CPU sales goals at retail Apple Stores have been increased substantially starting in May. These estimates suggest Apple is expecting a boost to sales for their CPUs in the next four weeks.

The most recent reports have claimed (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/04/20060412101438.shtml) that the 13.3" Intel MacBook is in production with target release dates ranging from May (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/04/20060407144028.shtml) to June (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/04/20060403221422.shtml).

Jesus
Apr 17, 2006, 06:47 AM
Great, if an analyst says it, it must be true.

docgraham
Apr 17, 2006, 06:48 AM
I've been waiting for the new ibooks (macbooks), the wait is starting to drive me crazy!

boogieman
Apr 17, 2006, 06:48 AM
And hopefully wont take 3 months to ship!!

thejadedmonkey
Apr 17, 2006, 06:49 AM
I've been waiting for the new ibooks (macbooks), the wait is starting to drive me crazy!
Same..I'm selling soo much crap to be able to afford one too!

BlizzardBomb
Apr 17, 2006, 06:51 AM
Let's hope we get blown away by the design ;) And how about the 17" MacBook Pro too Apple! :D

charris
I still think a 13.3" widescreen will feel small, but I'm interested in seeing if Apple goes back to offering different colors.

sintaxi
I cant believe how used to waiting I am. Even though I am waiting with great anticipation, I no longer expect a release. Anyone else feel the same?

amateurmacfreak
Apr 17, 2006, 06:54 AM
I never want to think about the i/MacBook really again. I've been wanting them to come out since... forever. It was the one thing I told someone I really thought would be coming out in MWSF, then I told them coming out probs at beginning of April and....
We've been seeing speculation on new iBooks since when, December?
This is so stupid and theey need to get updated. Most people aren't willing to pay $2000 for a laptop and the general consensus I've sensed is that the current iBook's are slow.
This is so annoying. I will be interested to see if there will be colors, though. :p

mac-x
Apr 17, 2006, 06:55 AM
yeah, im still thinking june, better to expect the 'worst'.
And why would they show it on there financial event, all of the invited people want to hear about numbers,money money,stocks etc. did they ever released anything on these events?

shrhaider
Apr 17, 2006, 06:55 AM
Totally. I've gone numb. No more excitement to be gained from all this speculation. I've got forum overload. I have to start limiting myself from checking this site more than once a day.

Multimedia
Apr 17, 2006, 06:57 AM
Let's hope we get blown away by the design ;) And how about the 17" MacBook Pro too Apple! :DWorst case for the 17" MacBook Pro is most likely this coming Sunday's April 23 Apple NAB Press Event. Meanwhile the MacBook might surface this week as all of next week's BUZZ AIR will be centered on what is announced Sunday. Then we're into May so this week looks promising.

I can't tell which is a better way to deal with the MacBook announcement, before or after NAB. Anyone know which order would be more effective? :confused:

spine
Apr 17, 2006, 06:59 AM
My iBook G3 800 just died last week - logic board.
Suddenly, I am very interested in the MacBook!!
Wouldn't there be a special event held for this release?

amateurmacfreak
Apr 17, 2006, 06:59 AM
I cant believe how used to waiting I am. Even though I am waiting with great anticipation, I no longer expect a release. Anyone else feel the same?
Greatly agreed. It's like I expect the iBooks G4 to be immortal. When a new iBook comes out I might just think "okay, whatever," or I may be very excited. No telling. Kind of depends on the specs.
Totally. I've gone numb. No more excitement to be gained from all this speculation. I've got forum overload. I have to start limiting myself from checking this site more than once a day.
Same with the no more excitement. Not really same with the forum overload, b/c this is the only forum I regularly visit.
But I do need to keep myself from coming here more than 5 times a day.... :o
Jk.... sort of. XD

macpastor
Apr 17, 2006, 07:01 AM
Wouldn't there be a special event held for this release?

I wondered too if they would have a special release for the MacBook. However, all the people there would most likely just yawn since they were expectng it anyways. That being said, it would not surprise me if they gave invitations on this Tuesday for a special event next week. Of course everyone knows what the special event would be, but the anticipation of a radically differnt MacBook could give enough suspense that people actually go to the event to see what it up.

Austin.xstone
Apr 17, 2006, 07:02 AM
I had my excitement, at MWSF, and then in at the start of April, im just numb with having to wait. There is only so much waiting you can do before getting board - I am board. I'll be board until they release the silly things... Maybe then I might be interested again?!?

twoodcc
Apr 17, 2006, 07:02 AM
that would be great if they released tomorrow!

sintaxi
Apr 17, 2006, 07:03 AM
ha ha its good to know Im not the only one who obsesses over checking this site.:p :p :p

(L)
Apr 17, 2006, 07:03 AM
Umm, wouldn't Apple want an event for that sort of thing?

peanut48
Apr 17, 2006, 07:05 AM
Gimme Gimme a Macbook after (monday) midnight.....haha....am getting so excited..... :D abba's song had to come to mind

wedge antilies
I'm taking a wait and see approach with these iBook/macBooks if the specs are worthy, I'll upgrade, as I'm not in a desperate need.
Although, I want apple to bring it out just to keep things moving along nicely...

-Red 2

Chris Bangle
I went ot the Apple store in Bluewater on Saturday and I dont think I saw any ibooks on display. I remember seeing macbook pro and imacs and mini and i only saw the 2 powermacs they usually have on display. There was a table and I cant remebr what was on it but i think it was either macbook pros or powerbooks not ibooks. I also went to John Lewis and they had no new 60gb only customer returns... No new powermacs only ex-demos and they ibooks all had big reductions.

This seems like a promising week.

spine
Apr 17, 2006, 07:08 AM
I went ot the Apple store in Bluewater on Saturday and I dont think I saw any ibooks on display. I remember seeing macbook pro and imacs and mini and i only saw the 2 powermacs they usually have on display. There was a table and I cant remebr what was on it but i think it was either macbook pros or powerbooks not ibooks. I also went to John Lewis and they had no new 60gb only customer returns... No new powermacs only ex-demos and they ibooks all had big reductions.

I too was in an Apple Store this weekend (Burlington, MASS) and the ibooks were in the corner - just 2 on display. All the attention was on the macbook pros. Hmmm....

monkeyandy
Apr 17, 2006, 07:11 AM
:(

Along with all the other people my excitment has been dampened due to the waiting. I'm sure they will be really cool but i'm so used to waiting for these now that i too am just expecting the worst case scenario..maybe June.

It would be sweet if it was tomorrow but i ain't gettin my hopes up :mad:

I hope it has a semi decent gfx card built in maybe 64mb vram at the min on the higher end or maybe a deal like dell do where you can get integrated gfx or pay xtra for gfx card. Also dual core 1.66 at min!

Even it does have integrated gfx i'll prob still end up buying it. no matter how much i want a MacBook i just can't afford one, and even if i did i would be scared of taking it anywhere just incase i dented or scratched it ;)

It would be good if you cud run boot camp on it well enough to play a few PC games. I have a copy of GTA San Andreas waiting to be played on it but when I played on my PC with integrated 64mb gfx it was a bit naff!

Chris Bangle
I too was in an Apple Store this weekend (Burlington, MASS) and the ibooks were in the corner - just 2 on display. All the attention was on the macbook pros. Hmmm....

Why is there so little attention towards powermacs. I was thinking that NAB is a pro event and there is a possibilty of new Powermacs but I thought that not all software was universal yet so they wanted to wait a while??????

baby duck monge
I'm not holding my breath for tomorrow, but I would definitely love to see one released in the next 4 weeks and shipping by August. That would, naturally, be perfect for the education market (which should be a big target for the new iBook whatchamacallits). I will be first in line with a credit card as soon as they go live on the Apple store.

(L)
Apr 17, 2006, 07:19 AM
Oh well, my 12" PB will last me some time. 12" to disappear? Then my model will become novelty...:eek:

Sol
Apr 17, 2006, 07:25 AM
I look forward to the first post-Boot Camp Mac. I hope it includes a proper graphics card.

BornAgainMac
Apr 17, 2006, 07:25 AM
The bigger news would be the final end of the G4 in a Mac.

KindredMAC
Apr 17, 2006, 07:35 AM
But they've been like that all of this year since the MBP's were announced and released. All they are doing is trying to push the more profitable products. Our Apple Store (Syr, NY) has always relegated the iBooks to the only two models there are and they are over in the corner by the front door. They have always pushed the iMacs more.

spine
Apr 17, 2006, 07:41 AM
But they've been like that all of this year since the MBP's were announced and released. All they are doing is trying to push the more profitable products. Our Apple Store (Syr, NY) has always relegated the iBooks to the only two models there are and they are over in the corner by the front door. They have always pushed the iMacs more.

Perhaps its just my wishful thinking!
Damn Apple - just make an announcement so we can all move on....

monkeyandy
Apr 17, 2006, 07:44 AM

I know....just get it released ASAP! :D

supremedesigner
Apr 17, 2006, 07:45 AM
I don't think I'll wait till tomorrow. I'm gonna order the slowest, cheapest, ugly iBook right now. :D ;)

Leoff
Apr 17, 2006, 07:49 AM
I'm curious which type of release people would prefer:

1) A scheduled announcement in Late June, the MacBooks available for purchase on the day of the announcement

or

2) An earlier announcement, say in a week, but with the MacBooks available for pre-order and "shipping in June/July"?

BlizzardBomb
Apr 17, 2006, 07:49 AM
I don't think I'll wait till tomorrow. I'm gonna order the slowest, cheapest, ugly iBook right now. :D ;)

Surely its a crime to call the current iBook ugly! :eek: :p

Leoff
Apr 17, 2006, 07:50 AM

You're buying a Dell?

Apr 17, 2006, 07:51 AM
The new MBs will only appear by the end of April...sorry to burst the bubble, guys...nothing planned for this week..!

spine
Apr 17, 2006, 07:51 AM

1) A scheduled announcement in Late June, the MacBooks available for purchase on the day of the announcement

or

2) An earlier announcement, say in a week, but with the MacBooks available for pre-order and "shipping in June/July"?

An early announcement - I'd rather be waiting for it to arrive than waiting for real info.

milo
Apr 17, 2006, 07:53 AM
Why is there so little attention towards powermacs. I was thinking that NAB is a pro event and there is a possibilty of new Powermacs but I thought that not all software was universal yet so they wanted to wait a while??????

Because the current quad is pretty killer, and intel doesn't really have the next-gen workstation chips ready. Plus, tower users are the most concerned about performance, and thus the most likely to wait until all apps are universal. Steve pretty much said it in the intel announcement, the towers will be the LAST to go intel. And I wouldn't expect any upgrades to the g5's in the meantime.

itcheroni
Apr 17, 2006, 07:53 AM

or

Definitely 2, so people can make a decision.

monkeyandy
Apr 17, 2006, 07:54 AM
The new MBs will only appear by the end of April...sorry to burst the bubble, guys...nothing planned for this week..!

How do you know that then? Steve Jobs your mate? :)

aegisdesign
Apr 17, 2006, 07:58 AM

Simple. They haven't got an Intel CPU fast enough to replace the dual-core G5 yet and they aren't going to replace the PowerMac with something slower. Won't happen until Intel ships the Core Architecture chips later this year.

aegisdesign
Apr 17, 2006, 07:59 AM
Surely its a crime to call the current iBook ugly! :eek: :p

It's surely note as good looking as the original Ice Book version, that's for sure.

mtrctyjoe
Apr 17, 2006, 08:00 AM
We know we are talking Mac Mini Specs in a Lap Top... as far as a 13.3 screen - that is not going to do it for me. I like to use the vertical space on the screen and 8.5 inches is my MINIMUM. I would have to see something truly inovative from a design aspect+lighted key board. Then I am buying. My iBook 1.42 G4 is still doing a GREAT job.

supremedesigner
Apr 17, 2006, 08:00 AM
You're buying a Dell?

I'm buyin' Bananas. ;) :p

supremedesigner
Apr 17, 2006, 08:13 AM
This is a bit off topic (that include for macbook) :)

Ok I am a bit confused right now. According to this http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index...e&NewsID=14389 here what they said "He speculates that when Boot Camp ships as part of Mac OS X 10.5, it will offer full virtualization, so users will not need to reboot their machines to move between operating systems." What's going on now?!:confused: :eek:

Macnoviz
Apr 17, 2006, 08:14 AM
Simple. They haven't got an Intel CPU fast enough to replace the dual-core G5 yet and they aren't going to replace the PowerMac with something slower. Won't happen until Intel ships the Core Architecture chips later this year.

Just in time for a blu-ray drive???:eek:

Gasu E.
Apr 17, 2006, 08:18 AM
N M N T

spine
Apr 17, 2006, 08:24 AM
N M N T

New Macbook News Tomorrow?

ready2switch
Apr 17, 2006, 08:24 AM

or

Announce it now and ship later if you have to. Little bits of info will keep interest alive. If you wait much longer for updates/announcements you will get even more people becoming complacent about what should be a BIG deal.

monkeyandy
Apr 17, 2006, 08:33 AM
Announce it now and ship later if you have to. Little bits of info will keep interest alive. If you wait much longer for updates/announcements you will get even more people becoming complacent about what should be a BIG deal.

I totally agree with you! Get it announced! I want one now! :D

sartinsauce
Apr 17, 2006, 08:37 AM
Yawn.

If it ain't one thing it's another.

Last year it was G5 Powerbooks...

This year it's Intel Macbooks.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel for news and rumors now, aren't we?

(I'm still here every few hours, what an addict!)

Macnoviz
Apr 17, 2006, 08:48 AM
Yawn.

G5 powerbook was impossible (which is in fact improbable, which just takes more time)
But the intel iBook isn't, it's just taking them more time to make it perfect

Boggle
Apr 17, 2006, 08:50 AM
"My Machines! My Machines! MY, MY, MY MACHINES!"

- I hope ppl know the scrubs quote I'm referencing.

Sure would save me the extra coin on having to buy the MBP. Don't want to be saddled w/ this work-loaned-Dell too much longer.

MattyMac
Apr 17, 2006, 09:03 AM
I really wouldnt mind if they waited at this point, so I can get a free ipod nano with the student union promotion (if they have one this year). If they released it tomorrow.. I would never be able to wait a few months for the free ipod.:rolleyes:

yeoldwizard1
Apr 17, 2006, 09:05 AM
the rumor says its in production..... why cant some guy just break into a production facility and steal one of these macbooks, take photos, and release them to sites? sure he'd go to jail.... but i know a buch of mac addicts who'd think its worth it :P

baby duck monge
Apr 17, 2006, 09:06 AM
I really wouldnt mind if they waited at this point, so I can get a free ipod nano with the student union promotion (if they have one this year). If they released it tomorrow.. I would never be able to wait a few months for the free ipod.:rolleyes:

Even if they released them tomorrow, they probably still wouldn't ship until the summer anyway. So perhaps they could let those preorders count for student union (assuming they do it yet again).

®îçhå®?
Apr 17, 2006, 09:13 AM
I want one for my 6th form but am not going to pay the rumoured 999 euros (£680, $1200). Buy from PC World Business for abut £500!!!
It would be cool to have an option of a clear case so that customers can customise it themselves.

themacman
Apr 17, 2006, 09:13 AM
thats great news. Apple needs to do something drastic about their ibook, and hopefully this new macbook will be a whole different design because the ibook design has been around forever.

iJawn108
Apr 17, 2006, 09:21 AM
I can't wait to see it at least. I will definately be getting one if the price is right. I think I'll have to give visa a call if they are released tomorrow. ;)

Chris Bangle
Apr 17, 2006, 09:27 AM
The rumors are that the macbook will be the most redesigned notebook for a long time... Its obviusly gonna have isight,magsafe,front row etc....... But it cant have technology thats superior to the macbook pro's can it. This so called magnetic latch system, why on macbook and not macbook pro.I dont know of anymore rumoured features but I think we are expecting too mcuh. I just hope that the base model doesnt come with an single core chip. Dual core all the way. Also give it a funky name, G5 sounded so powerful but dual core sounds dull.

QPlot
Apr 17, 2006, 09:29 AM
I can't wait to see it at least. I will definately be getting one if the price is right. I think I'll have to give visa a call if they are released tomorrow. ;)

Me either, can't wait; especially tax return is near :D

Morice
Apr 17, 2006, 09:40 AM
I'm thinking about waiting for the next MacBook Pro Generation in (maybe) August because my Powerbook Ti 400 is really hard to use. But waiting for an Apple Product is probably the worst you can do... I'll just throw away my Computer and don't use one at all. Back to basics, thanks Apple you brought me back to my roots :cool:

MrCrowbar
Apr 17, 2006, 09:41 AM
"My Machines! My Machines! MY, MY, MY MACHINES!"

- I hope ppl know the scrubs quote I'm referencing.

LOL, I think I'll say the same thing to the Mailman when he hands me my MacBook (Pro). And to anyone wanting to touch it ^^. In Scrubs it was the MRI guy, right? :p

I'm still undecesive whether to buy that Macbook or the Macbook Pro (15") or wait for the small (12", 13.3") Macbook Pro. I know the last one isn't even on the roadmap, but I suspect Apple is waiting for Merom. You know, better battery life, better performance at same clock rate, same price as Core Duo... This would give the 5+ hours of battery we all want. Any news about when Merom will ship? I mean this guy who put one into a Mac Mini already has one! Assume Apple would have some special deal with Intel so the Macbook Pro would probably be the first laptop having Merom inside.

I doubt the MacBook will be shown as soon as tomorrow. Production may have started, i.e. Macbooks do physically exist but usually there are invitations sent out one week in advance. I've just watched the keynote where Steve announced the iBook (white) and the audience knew it was about a new consumer product. If the new Macbook is as featured as rumored (Core Duo, iSight etc.) there should be a 90 minutes special event for that too.

Just my 2 scents

~Shard~
Apr 17, 2006, 09:46 AM

1) There are not enough UBs yet, especially for Pro users
2) There is currently no Intel chip which Apple could implement which could compete with the quad
3) Conroe will not be available until Q3

For these reasons, there will definitely be no PowerMacs at NAB. Instead, Jobs will announce the Conroe PowerMacs at WWDC in August. Case closed. :cool:

Morice
Apr 17, 2006, 09:47 AM
Intel announced Merom for Q3 this year. Macworld Europe speculated that the next MacBook Pro Generation will be announced in August (WWDC in San Francisco). But I don't know, nobody knows if its true. But Merom will be out in August and Apple has to compete against Dell, Acer, etc.

~Shard~
Apr 17, 2006, 09:48 AM
Me either, can't wait; especially tax return is near :D

You would still be buying one though even if you weren't getting your tax return, right? Because either way you're still spending your own money on it... :p ;) :cool:

AidenShaw
Apr 17, 2006, 09:49 AM
Assume Apple would have some special deal with Intel so the Macbook Pro would probably be the first laptop having Merom inside.
Much safer to assume that *all* the Intel vendors will have the same announcement day - that's been the Intel way for a long time.

Apple was one of the last companies to announce a Yonah system, after all - the other guys showed them at CES alongside the Intel announcement. Apple was a no-show at CES.

AidenShaw
Apr 17, 2006, 09:53 AM
2) There is currently no Intel chip which Apple could implement which could compete with the quad
3) Conroe will not be available until Q3

Conroe can't do dual-socket, so it can't compete with the quad.

Conroe will be in a new mini-tower form factor, which will fill the gaping hole in the lineup between the MiniMacIntel and the huge towers.

Woodcrest will be in the PMG5 replacement (dual-socket, quad-core).

milo
Apr 17, 2006, 09:57 AM
We know we are talking Mac Mini Specs in a Lap Top... as far as a 13.3 screen - that is not going to do it for me. I like to use the vertical space on the screen and 8.5 inches is my MINIMUM. I would have to see something truly inovative from a design aspect+lighted key board. Then I am buying. My iBook 1.42 G4 is still doing a GREAT job.

You want a bigger screen? That's what the Pro is for.

Much safer to assume that *all* the Intel vendors will have the same announcement day - that's been the Intel way for a long time.

Apple was one of the last companies to announce a Yonah system, after all - the other guys showed them at CES alongside the Intel announcement. Apple was a no-show at CES.

How much later did apple announce? A week or less? And wasn't Apple the first to actually ship a yonah box? Did any companies ship one before the imac was released?

dubnluvn
Apr 17, 2006, 10:02 AM
I think if apple is going to do colors again there will be only two options:

white and black.

I would dig a black MacBook...if they did that I bet a black iMac wouldn't be far behind.

WoofJoe
Apr 17, 2006, 10:03 AM
I can't wait to get one so I can load Windows XP on it! The integrated graphics should be awesome! Apple rules!

RollTide
Apr 17, 2006, 10:07 AM
:(

I hope it has a semi decent gfx card built in maybe 64mb vram at the min on the higher end or maybe a deal like dell do where you can get integrated gfx or pay xtra for gfx card. Also dual core 1.66 at min!

Even it does have integrated gfx i'll prob still end up buying it. no matter how much i want a MacBook i just can't afford one, and even if i did i would be scared of taking it anywhere just incase i dented or scratched it ;)

I can't remember where I saw them, but they have neoprene cases for laptops that are very soft on inside and have a good bit of ridgity to em also, they work great for ibooks, power books were a little small and it didn't fit as tight so it was not as effective. These really help out when sliding it into a book bag. If you do get a macbook, wait for one of these cases to fit it

KindredMAC
Apr 17, 2006, 10:11 AM
I know.... I've got $400 left on an Apple Gift Card and more coming in 3 weeks for my B-Day from my wife and family. Depending on specs and release times, I just might have to order the new MacBook to replace our G3 iBook. It will look nice next to my new PowerMac G5 ;)

lifeboy001
Apr 17, 2006, 10:13 AM
You would still be buying one though even if you weren't getting your tax return, right? Because either way you're still spending your own money on it... :p ;) :cool:

Sadly, many (americans) still live paycheck to paycheck....I also wonder why you people with refunds wait until April to get them! I had my refund on Feb. 10th or so.

To stay on topic though, I don't think Apple needs to put as much fanfare into the new iBooks. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they show up without a Jobs media presentation. Maybe I'm just saying this because I want them to show up tomorrow...

QPlot
Apr 17, 2006, 10:18 AM

I just need it to convice my wife I can afford it :p

MattyMac
Apr 17, 2006, 10:19 AM
Yawn.

But still...either way the have to come out with a new ibook or macbook verry soon. Last year they didnt have to come out with a g5 powerbook.

cashmoney
Apr 17, 2006, 10:30 AM
I think if apple is going to do colors again there will be only two options:

white and black.

I would dig a black MacBook...if they did that I bet a black iMac wouldn't be far behind.

A black iMac would look funny. I think they should just stick with white...

geerlingguy
Apr 17, 2006, 10:38 AM

Then check out MacRumors' RSS Feed (feed://macrumors.com/macrumors.xml) - you can have Safari (or another RSS reader) check it throughout the day, and then tell you when new stories are posted...

besiktas jk
Apr 17, 2006, 10:47 AM
"If that date falls through, according to reports, internal CPU sales goals at retail Apple Stores have been increased substantially starting in May. These estimates suggest Apple is expecting a boost to sales for their CPUs in the next four weeks."

Excuse me for my english but I didn't understand what does this paragraph mean and what can be inferred from it about macbooks.

MacMosher
Apr 17, 2006, 10:49 AM
not happening tomorrow... for sure

c-Row
Apr 17, 2006, 10:49 AM
Then check out MacRumors' RSS Feed (feed://macrumors.com/macrumors.xml) - you can have Safari (or another RSS reader) check it throughout the day, and then tell you when new stories are posted...

Nah, it's not about the catching, it's the hunting we enjoy. ;)

Stridder44
Apr 17, 2006, 10:56 AM
not happening tomorrow... for sure

...for what reason?

supafly1703
Come to papa!

QPlot
Nah, it's not about the catching, it's the hunting we enjoy. ;)

here you go, this is a good one. ;)

macgeek2005
Apr 17, 2006, 11:00 AM
Alright screw this ****. I'm done with these rumors about the macbook. I don't care anymore. They'll be released in June and shipping at the end of July, then they'll be riddled with bugs because of being Rev A, and they're won't be a solid MacBook until spring 2007. That's one year away. We have another whole year to wait for a solidly working MacBook.

*sigh*...... I only hope i'm not aggaserating tooo much... but this wait is getting rediculous.

ChrisA
Apr 17, 2006, 11:03 AM
The wait for the revised Intel iBook (aka MacBook) continues, ...

The only thing I'm curious about is the price. If they can get the entry level notebook to sell for under $1000 it will be a success. If it's $1200 only the Apple-faithfull will buy it. They need to hit the $950 price point.

QCassidy352
Apr 17, 2006, 11:07 AM
You want a bigger screen? That's what the Pro is for.

No offense, but that makes no sense, and I really hope apple doesn't think like you (though I bet they will). This idea that consumers don't want a bigger screen and pros don't want a smaller one is... baffling. Dell and other PC makers have both consumer and pro laptops in various sizes, and that makes sense.

I would have:
MBP: 13.3", 15.4", 17"
MB: 13.3", 15.4"

It's easy to distinguish the pro line from the consumer line with things like speed, video card, HD speed, ports, RAM capacity, expansion slots, and extras (e.g. backlit keys). There's absolutely no reason not to have a 15" consumer laptop, or a 13" pro laptop.

Boggle
Apr 17, 2006, 11:08 AM
LOL, I think I'll say the same thing to the Mailman when he hands me my MacBook (Pro). And to anyone wanting to touch it ^^. In Scrubs it was the MRI guy, right? :p

You are correct! Here is your prize.

~hands MrCrowbar a small slightly used attack pidgeon. Sorry, it only speaks german. Enjoy in good health!

mjstew33
Apr 17, 2006, 11:11 AM
I know how you feel - I waited 4 months for the current iBooks to be released.

rockthecasbah
Apr 17, 2006, 11:17 AM
not would, does ;)

kugino
Apr 17, 2006, 11:20 AM
nah, not gonna happen. certainly want one, but i think we'll have to wait til june.

~Shard~
Apr 17, 2006, 11:21 AM

Conroe will be in a new mini-tower form factor, which will fill the gaping hole in the lineup between the MiniMacIntel and the huge towers.

Woodcrest will be in the PMG5 replacement (dual-socket, quad-core).

I agree.Sorry, I didn't mean to make it look like my above points were related, I meant for them to be independant. ;)

YoNeX
Apr 17, 2006, 11:32 AM
Black iMac
http://www.colorwarepc.com/_inventoryImages/images/color_choice_iMac/Jet_Black.jpg

and while we're at it...

Black Powerbook (yes its a Powerbook!)
http://www.colorwarepc.com/_inventoryImages/images/color_choice_Power/Jet_Black.jpg

Black iBook
http://www.colorwarepc.com/_inventoryImages/images/color_choice_iBook/Jet_Black.jpg

Image provided by ColorWarePc.com (www.colorwarepc.com)

While black is nice, aluminum and white just works. Now the relevance of a a product release is unlikely. And to those who are tired are rumors and are going to stop coming, you'll be back :p .

shawnce
Apr 17, 2006, 11:33 AM

Woodcrest will be in the PMG5 replacement (dual-socket, quad-core). Unless Intel changes pricing and target market I question if Woodcrest will be in the Apple's next tower. I think we will see dual-core Conroe's and quad-core Kentsfield in those. I have a feeling that Intel will beat its target date for Kentsfield. If Apple can get the prices it needs then Woodcrest may show up (includes the pricing for the mother board chipset)... but knowing that Kentsfield is around the corner... they may delay for a better priced and segment targeted chip.

Peace
Apr 17, 2006, 11:36 AM
And to think.One year ago folks were discussing when the new PPC chips were coming out not even thinking about Intel...generally

What a year!!

~Shard~
Apr 17, 2006, 11:39 AM
Unless Intel changes pricing and target market I question if Woodcrest will be in the Apple's next tower. I think we will see dual-core Conroe's and quad-core Kentsfield in those. I have a feeling that Intel will beat its target date for Kentsfield. If Apple can get the prices it needs then Woodcrest may show up (includes the pricing for the mother board chipset)... but knowing that Kentsfield is around the corner... they may delay for a better priced and segment targeted chip.

How about Cloverton? ;) :cool:

milo
Apr 17, 2006, 11:40 AM
Alright screw this ****. I'm done with these rumors about the macbook. I don't care anymore. They'll be released in June and shipping at the end of July, then they'll be riddled with bugs because of being Rev A, and they're won't be a solid MacBook until spring 2007. That's one year away. We have another whole year to wait for a solidly working MacBook.

Nah, only the ones shipped in the first month or so will have issues. That's what happened with all the other intel models. The MBP is on revision D already, they just don't announce the fixes publicly.

No offense, but that makes no sense, and I really hope apple doesn't think like you (though I bet they will). This idea that consumers don't want a bigger screen and pros don't want a smaller one is... baffling.

Consumers want a lot of things. Apple isn't able to offer every single combination of features and sizes. That's the way it goes. Sorry.

They never had a 17" ibook, did they? Or even a 15"?

I do think there is a good chance of seeing a small "pro" machine, either BTO upgrades to the 13" macbook or even a tiny Macbook Mini for maximum portability (that could cost more than the macbook).

powerbook911
Apr 17, 2006, 11:40 AM
And to think.One year ago folks were discussing when the new PPC chips were coming out not even thinking about Intel...generally

What a year!!

Indeed. It is amazing how the Mac world was put upside down in such a little amount of time.

To the MacBook, I'm looking forward to seeing what they offer. However, my dream is a 13-inch Mac Book Pro, not a white MacBook.

I think it makes sense the MacBook *could* come out tomorrow (Tuesday), but I think it is more likely we'll be waiting another couple weeks.

justflie
Apr 17, 2006, 11:43 AM
I wondered too if they would have a special release for the MacBook. However, all the people there would most likely just yawn since they were expectng it anyways. That being said, it would not surprise me if they gave invitations on this Tuesday for a special event next week. Of course everyone knows what the special event would be, but the anticipation of a radically differnt MacBook could give enough suspense that people actually go to the event to see what it up.
sorry if someone already mentioned this, but i don't feel like reading the other pages to check. i don't think a special event would be required or even a good thing unless the macbook has some crazy new features. If there aren't new features, then i would say just release it with a press release or something. Otherwise, it will be a bunch of people sitting around looking at steve and being like, so this is just a dumbed down macbook pro, why do i care?

m-dogg
Apr 17, 2006, 11:52 AM
If they come out with black models, I sure hope they make they keyboards match the color of the body. A black machine with a white keyboard looks, well...like any old Dell/HP/etc...ugly.

Sorry...pet peeve of mine...I think computers look much nicer when the keyboard matches the rest of the machine. But it seems like Apple & IBM are the only computer manufacturers that agree with me.

m-dogg
Apr 17, 2006, 11:53 AM
sorry if someone already mentioned this, but i don't feel like reading the other pages to check. i don't think a special event would be required or even a good thing unless the macbook has some crazy new features. If there aren't new features, then i would say just release it with a press release or something. Otherwise, it will be a bunch of people sitting around looking at steve and being like, so this is just a dumbed down macbook pro, why do i care?

My thought is, if they held a special event for the Mini & iPod Boombox, they'll have one for the MacBooks.

MacMosher
Apr 17, 2006, 11:56 AM
...for what reason?
Why in the world would they launch one of there biggest products at there anual
financal results?

galstaph
Apr 17, 2006, 11:56 AM
another wait and see.....

sixstorm
Apr 17, 2006, 11:58 AM
Sound great. I just hope they don't do the different colors and integrated graphics. My dad is looking into buying an Apple laptop this year and he is very interested in buying a MacBook when it surfaces.

MrCrowbar
Apr 17, 2006, 11:58 AM
You are correct! Here is your prize.

~hands MrCrowbar a small slightly used attack pidgeon. Sorry, it only speaks german. Enjoy in good health!

Thank you very much. Hmmm, I wonder what happens if I tell the pigeon "Sie haben einen schönen Busen". :p

Back to topic, the Macbook deserves an event since it appears to be redesigned, i.e. won't look like the current iBook. Of course the insides will be a stripped down MBP but there are those rumors about magnets instead of the standard latch... I hope this wonÄt just be one magnet on the display and one in the base so you just have to pull like crazy to get the thing open. I can imagine when you press the button on the base, the magnet moves a bit (or turns around) so that the lid opens by magnetic force. Makes sense since it would be more durable than the current latchand better suited for students that have a tendency to break fragile things. On todays powerbooks and iBooks, it's quite easy to force the latch to come out and break it. Or even worse, Imagine a school kid pulling like hell to get the display to open becausehe's too dumb to press the release button... A magnetic system would have no parts sticking out and you don't break anything if you try to open the computer without pressing the button.

boncellis
Apr 17, 2006, 12:00 PM
My thought is, if they held a special event for the Mini & iPod Boombox, they'll have one for the MacBooks.

Your logic is sound, certainly, but it seems like Apple has gotten off their schedule this year. I think there was a delay on the Yonah Mac Mini that was supposed to be introduced at MWSF, so they pushed it back to coincide with the iPod HiFi. If it were just the iPod accessories I don't know that they would have done an event just for them.

With all the anticipation for the iBook replacement however, I could see them doing something along the same lines (on the Cupertino campus, relatively small) or try to coordinate the release of something else like a 6GB iPod Nano along with it to make the release a true "event."

By the way, what's in store for the Paris Expo? Will Conroe be around by then?

Chris Bangle
Apr 17, 2006, 12:02 PM
My dream Tuesday..
New ipods, itunes becomes a media store, Macbooks announced...

The problem is that AI said that the new serial numbers will be ready next month. Also I think that apple could have put aperture and remote desktop on the website at the same time instead of going offline twice... I reackon they were teasing us and its going to happen again tomarrow.

Also I think that the main product being launched of feb 28th got pulled at the last moment and thats why we were so underwhelmed.

stefan15
Apr 17, 2006, 12:18 PM
What kind of analyst thinks the new ibook is coming TOMORROW? What a rediculous comment! Sarcasm/exaggeration perhaps.

dornoforpyros
Apr 17, 2006, 12:18 PM
I'm starting to wonder how easy it would be to start a rumour you'd all drool over. Seems to me there's really only 2 criteria to get everyone riled up
1)Gotta include "possibly this tuesday" in the story
2)New iPod/iBook/MacBook/Powermac

Hey, nobody saw bootcamp coming and that's been the biggest news of the year. I bet apple silently drops the new iBooks when no one's looking.

sixstorm
Apr 17, 2006, 12:21 PM
Hey, nobody saw bootcamp coming and that's been the biggest news of the year. I bet apple silently drops the new iBooks when no one's looking.

Problem is, everybody will be looking for the new MacBooks :P:p

Peace
Apr 17, 2006, 12:23 PM
I'm starting to wonder how easy it would be to start a rumour you'd all drool over. Seems to me there's really only 2 criteria to get everyone riled up
1)Gotta include "possibly this tuesday" in the story
2)New iPod/iBook/MacBook/Powermac

I doubt that since the MacBook and MacStation are the two Mac's to be re-designed.
A new design implies a "one more thing" from Steve ;)

sam10685
Apr 17, 2006, 12:23 PM
hope it comes out soonn.... (have we ever had a silent releasse this big?)

AmericanCliche
Apr 17, 2006, 12:25 PM
Part of me hopes to look stupid tomorrow, but I feel like Tuesday will be another let down. I get so excited every time i read about a possible release and then when nothing happens I'm disappointed.

This time I'm not even getting my hopes up. Though it would make financial sense to release new products as consumers try to figure out what to do with their tax returns.

dornoforpyros
Apr 17, 2006, 12:37 PM
I hope apple releases them on a wensday or friday, just to put an end to the weekly tradition of people being dissapointed on tuesday night.

EK03
Apr 17, 2006, 12:40 PM
i bet they are released once the 5th ave store is open since it opens on the 20th of may

MrCrowbar
Apr 17, 2006, 12:44 PM
Don't tell me any of you actually BELIEVES there will be a Powerbook G5, err, I'm sorry, a new Macbook next tuesday. There WILL be an event and we will know about it when the invitations are out there.

daysleeper
Apr 17, 2006, 12:50 PM
Anyone who thinks there will be silent release of the new macbook tomorrow has been staring at this forum too long. There. is. no. chance.

Multimedia
Apr 17, 2006, 12:55 PM
Don't tell me any of you actually BELIEVES there will be a Powerbook G5, err, I'm sorry, a new Macbook next tuesday. There WILL be an event and we will know about it when the invitations are out there.If there will be an event to introduce the MacBook, then it won't be for 2 more weeks. Next week is all about NAB.

schinnadorai
Apr 17, 2006, 12:58 PM
I've been waiting for the Intel iBook or "Macbook" for ages. I just dont really want it to cost more than the current £699 because thats why the iBook sells so well. It's got great features for a great price.

Mitch1984
Apr 17, 2006, 01:06 PM

I went to the Apple store in Birminhgam UK, on friday and they had the MacBook's in the middle and two iBooks and a Power?ook 17" on the left.

I thought they were pushing these with being at the front of the store and all.
I.E. Trying to get rid of them asap. I believe it was an unusual place to put then considering what usually is at the front of the store.

Apr 17, 2006, 01:18 PM
How do you know that then? Steve Jobs your mate? :)

Yep, he's gonna write the foreword for my upcoming autobiography... ;)

monkeyandy
Apr 17, 2006, 01:23 PM
Yep, he's gonna write the foreword for my upcoming autobiography... ;)

:eek: lol :D

QCassidy352
Apr 17, 2006, 01:27 PM
Consumers want a lot of things. Apple isn't able to offer every single combination of features and sizes. That's the way it goes. Sorry.

They never had a 17" ibook, did they? Or even a 15"?

Every single combination? I'm talking about a whopping 2 choices of size! :rolleyes:

Apple has had, in the past, 2 sizes of ibook and 3 sizes of powerbook. That's all I'm advocating for. Just change the 12" to 13" and the 14" to 15" and all is well.

1 size of macbook and 2 sizes of MBP is way too few choices. There's no conceptual reason apple couldn't have 13" and 15" models in both the pro and consumer lines, and it would be no more "complicated" than the last revision of G4s.

jne381
Apr 17, 2006, 01:34 PM
I am greatly anticipating the release of the new iBook. One, because I don't want to read about any more speculation of when they will be released. However, I will not be purchasing it when it comes out.

I will really really want to buy one when they do come out, and I will have to restrain myself, but I know I must wait for the first revision. I stick to the common wisdom that is also used when buying redesigned cars; to wait at least one year. So the sooner they come out with the intel iBook, the sooner the revision, with many of the corrected bugs of the new design, will be released. I am hoping that the first revision won't take a year. Not to mention, Leopard my be released by then as well.

QPlot
Apr 17, 2006, 01:43 PM
I will really really want to buy one when they do come out, and I will have to restrain myself, but I know I must wait for the first revision. I stick to the common wisdom that is also used when buying redesigned cars; to wait at least one year. So the sooner they come out with the intel iBook, the sooner the revision, with many of the corrected bugs of the new design, will be released. I am hoping that the first revision won't take a year. Not to mention, Leopard my be released by then as well.

you must be really suffering recently, :p

BlizzardBomb
Apr 17, 2006, 01:44 PM
Every single combination? I'm talking about a whopping 2 choices of size! :rolleyes:

Apple has had, in the past, 2 sizes of ibook and 3 sizes of powerbook. That's all I'm advocating for. Just change the 12" to 13" and the 14" to 15" and all is well.

1 size of macbook and 2 sizes of MBP is way too few choices. There's no conceptual reason apple couldn't have 13" and 15" models in both the pro and consumer lines, and it would be no more "complicated" than the last revision of G4s.

Personally, I think its great. Remember how many iBook vs. 12" PowerBook threads there were? They were too close in price and too close in features.

P.S. It would be funny if the Apple Store went down and all they did was remove the PowerBooks or something else really minor :)

milo
Apr 17, 2006, 01:58 PM

Sure, they should ship the exact sizes YOU want. You don't think there are people out there who want 12 or 14 or 16 or 11? We're talking about an inch here. If you absolutely must have 14, get a Pro. For most people, one inch isn't going to make much difference.

Obviously apple can make as many sizes and configurations as they want. But it's simpler and cheaper to make fewer sizes. It makes sense that they'll have more choices on the high end units, and less configurations on the budget models.

I stick to the common wisdom that is also used when buying redesigned cars; to wait at least one year.

A year? By then they'll have another redesign with a new set of bugs. You'll only have to wait a month or two, if that. The macbook is already on the fourth or fifth revision, they can make fixes on these things fast.

Boggle
Apr 17, 2006, 01:59 PM
Thank you very much. Hmmm, I wonder what happens if I tell the pigeon "Sie haben einen schönen Busen". :p .

It all depends on the tone. if spoken in a soft milkmadish lilt, it will probably nestle and coo, if spoken stern and sharp like a house--frau, exxpect rapid fire beek-first busen deflation.

As to the question of if the macbook will be realeased tomorrow. I've given up anticipation. Having spent a month or so looking @ websites like this, the situation reminds me of my old job in public affairs. Sit in on meetings and try to infer a specific plan of action based on the vague and innocuous comments of people who don't work for you.

That doesn't stop me from hoping for the Macbook release, it just means I've stopped allowing myself to get excited enough to be let down when the announcement doesn't happen.

As for what I want...I want future-profing. I want as small a scrren as possible. And I want to have it b4 June. - (in that order). Although the QTV for Remote Desktop 3 has me reconsidering the Dual Masters thing and becoming a 20th level half-elven, Thief / Web Master, from Waterdeep.

BlizzardBomb
Apr 17, 2006, 02:06 PM
A year? By then they'll have another redesign with a new set of bugs. You'll only have to wait a month or two, if that. The macbook is already on the fourth or fifth revision, they can make fixes on these things fast.

Those are bug revisions which are silent. I think he's talking about feature revisions, e.g. Faster processor, larger hard drives and so on. Those happen roughly every 4 - 8 months.

crazydrumma
Apr 17, 2006, 02:10 PM
I am going to buy a laptop for college come June, and I will not be getting a macbook, even if it comes out by then. I have decided to go for the Macbook pro 1.83 gig anyway, simply because I want to get something that will hold me through all of college, and I don't want to be waiting for over a month for the "Macbook" to ship.

j26
Apr 17, 2006, 02:14 PM
Sure, they should ship the exact sizes YOU want. You don't think there are people out there who want 12 or 14 or 16 or 11? We're talking about an inch here. If you absolutely must have 14, get a Pro. For most people, one inch isn't going to make much difference.

Obviously apple can make as many sizes and configurations as they want. But it's simpler and cheaper to make fewer sizes. It makes sense that they'll have more choices on the high end units, and less configurations on the budget models.
But he's not talking about having a load of different sizes
He's talking about 13", 15" and 17". That's 3 configurations.

Personally I prefer smaller, so if I'm going for a laptop, I'll go for the 13". I'd like the choice between a MB and a MBP, it's not such a biggie for me as I plan to get an iMac for heavy lifting, but it is vital for some people.
Sure, cripple the MB a little, put in smaller chips, but there should be 2 sizes of MB, and pros should have the full choice. A good number of pros will choose the 13" MBP for the max portability (why should they be forced to lug something larger around if they don't want to), and a good number of students and consumers will want a larger MB without having to pay pro prices.

While it make sense from a production point of view to have less variations, ultimately a business will only thrive if it satisfies the customer. Don't rule things out because you see no need for them.

jne381
Apr 17, 2006, 02:17 PM

I don't think it will take a year to for a corrected version of the new iBook to appear either, although one wonders when you look at how long it has been taking them to get this one out, but I expect it to take 4 to 6 months to do it right. I think it will be a good time to buy whenever they decide to bump up the processor speed. This has usually taken the 4 to 6 months in the past.

I do wonder how good the corrections made to the MacBook Pro have been in actually correcting the issues that have been reported. If I hear good things, perhaps I will buy before the official upgrade.

milo
Apr 17, 2006, 02:31 PM
Those are bug revisions which are silent. I think he's talking about feature revisions, e.g. Faster processor, larger hard drives and so on. Those happen roughly every 4 - 8 months.

Yes, that's exactly what both he and I meant. He specifically mentioned bug fixes. Those come along quietly in a matter of weeks, waiting a year for hardware bug fixes is way overkill and possibly counterproductive.

But he's not talking about having a load of different sizes
He's talking about 13", 15" and 17". That's 3 configurations.

I think there will be three pro sizes, I've said that already. And I'm simply saying that fewer sizes are simpler and cheaper, not that ANY number is "a lot" or "few".

I don't rule things out because I see no need for them, I rule them out because the rumors say that's what's going to happen. :)

I don't think it will take a year to for a corrected version of the new iBook to appear either, although one wonders when you look at how long it has been taking them to get this one out, but I expect it to take 4 to 6 months to do it right.

It really hasn't taken that long yet. Don't forget, they're updating their entire product line, their last major release (the mini) was only six weeks ago. I don't think it will take any longer to "get right" than any other intel mac, probably will be even quicker.

QCassidy352
Apr 17, 2006, 02:40 PM

No, actually, those aren't the sizes I want. I think the 17" is a monstrosity and should be discontinued. I also have no preference for 13" over 12". If they want to do 12" instead of 13" or 14" instead of 15" I don't care. I'm just saying offer choices. People like choices, believe it or not.

I'm also not talking about one inch; I'm talking about 2". The rumors are for just one size of MB: 13". I'm saying there should be a 13" and a 15". That's a 2 inch difference.

Sure, fewer options is simpler and cheaper. So why not just offer one laptop and one desktop? Because although simplicity is nice, people have different wants and requirements.

I really think you're not getting this. I'm not suggesting that apple makes a dozen different models in every possible configuration. I'm saying offer *some* range of options. You honestly think having 2 sizes of pro laptop, none smaller than 15", and 1 size of consumer laptop, 13", is smart?? :confused: I see people using 15" consumer PC laptops all day long; there's definitely a demand for something reasonably cheap but bigger than 13".

edit: the rumors say the 13" macbook will replace the 12" ibook, the 14" ibook, and the 12" powerbook. So the rumors suggest there will be only 2 sizes of MBP.

Legacy
Apr 17, 2006, 02:43 PM
I do think we may see new things tomorrow...so here are my final words before the iBook is announced:

Model 1 $999 Replaces the 12" iBook - Education Oriented

Intel Core Duo 1.66Ghz Processor
512MB RAM
40GB Hard Drive
Intel GMA950 Graphics
CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
13.3" Screen

Model 2 $1299 - Apple's new compact, mainstream consumer notebook.

Same as above but with 60GB HD, Superdrive, iSight and Front Row

Model 3 $1499 (Possibility, but I wont be certain of this...) Replaces the 12" Powerbook, for Pro's who need power but also portability.

Same as model 2, but 80GB HD and dedicated Radeon X1400 128MB GPU

Regards...

pavetheforest
Apr 17, 2006, 02:47 PM
Tired of speculation. I have a reliable source telling me that the new macBooks will not come out tomorrow. That source is Apple corp- and based off of the past few months waiting for them...and getting a sound dock instead.:( I'd say June and after june rolls on through, I'll say july and if july has the nerve to pass without an new notebook, never...and my dell will eat my future children.

monkeyandy
Apr 17, 2006, 02:50 PM
I do think we may see new things tomorrow...so here are my final words before the iBook is announced:

512MB RAM
40GB Hard Drive
Intel GMA950 Graphics
CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
13.3" Screen

Model 3 $1499 (Possibility, but I wont be certain of this...) Replaces the 12" Powerbook, for Pro's who need power but also portability.

Regards...

I think your pretty close other than they all will have isight, bluetooth & wireless. And you can prettty much scrap model 2. I'm sure they will have two models. A higher end MacBook to replace the 12" Powerbook, and a low end cheap one for education, etc! Other than that pretty spot on mate! :cool:

I hope they are tomorrow not holding out too much hope though!

Legacy
Apr 17, 2006, 02:53 PM
I think your pretty close other than they all will have isight, bluetooth & wireless. And you can prettty much scrap model 2. I'm sure they will have two models. A higher end MacBook to replace the 12" Powerbook, and a low end cheap one for education, etc! Other than that pretty spot on mate! :cool:

Yeah BT and AP dont really need mentioning hehe:D ...but I think its gonna be hard gettin an isight n' front row into a 999 machine...so I suspect they MAY decide to not have it in that model..who knows? Thats my two pence anyway:rolleyes:

dornoforpyros
Apr 17, 2006, 02:54 PM
these damn laptops are suppose to have been released pretty much every tuesday since January...

macgeek2005
Apr 17, 2006, 02:54 PM

Change that to "But I'm not holding out ANY hope" and that'll be more accurate. They are not coming out tommorow. It's just not happening. Beginning of june at the earliest.

daschim
Apr 17, 2006, 02:55 PM

I agree. Am I the only one that thinks 13" are to small. There should at least be 2 sizes. I hope for a 15" ibook/macbook. I want to replace my desktop pc ... so I want a little more than a 13" screen.

DimFlicker
Apr 17, 2006, 03:05 PM

512MB RAM
40GB Hard Drive
Intel GMA950 Graphics
CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
13.3" Screen

Regards...

SO my only incentive for spending an extra grand is a DVD burner, bigger harddrive, and dediated video? No way little guy has to be core solo.

My guess is model one is identicual to 12 ibook now only add core solo, isight, and front row. Next one up same only with super drive, and then the third one that will have a core duo.. but still if thats only at $1499 why buy a macbook Pro?

Legacy
Apr 17, 2006, 03:10 PM
SO my only incentive for spending an extra grand is a DVD burner, bigger harddrive, and dediated video? No way little guy has to be core solo.

My guess is model one is identicual to 12 ibook now only add core solo, isight, and front row. Next one up same only with super drive, and then the third one that will have a core duo.. but still if thats only at $1499 why buy a macbook Pro?

You get a 15.4" Screen with the MB Pro, a X1600 GPU, not X1400 or GMA, not to mention as you say more hard drive space etc;. Apple cant flog a Core Solo for £899/$1299, thats crazy - given the duo costs like 30$ more. The design of the MB Pro is pro, backlit keys etc, brighter displays these are all factors IMO

j26
Apr 17, 2006, 03:12 PM

With Yonah chips to fall in price, why not see the MBP get a speed bump to 2.0 and 2.16 wih a bto of a 2.33. That would keep a decent differential. A 1.66 on the MB and 2.0-2.33 on the pro.
I'd imagine Superdrive would only be a bto option (someone speccing it up to pro level)

Remember, there wasn't much in the iBook and PowerBook in the recent past.

SirOmega
Apr 17, 2006, 03:15 PM

512MB RAM
40GB Hard Drive
Intel GMA950 Graphics
CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
13.3" Screen

Regards...

I'm inclined to think the following:
$999: Core Solo 1.66Ghz, 512MB DDR2, 60GB HD, 13.3", Integrated graphics, CDRW/DVD
$1299: Core Duo 1.66Ghz, 512MB DDR2, 60GB HD, 13.3", Integrated graphics, CDRW/DVD
$1499: Core Duo 1.66Ghz, 512MB DDR2, 80GB HD, 13.3", X1300 Radeon Mobile, DVD Burner, misc other stuff ** (this model not shipping immediately)

aswitcher
Apr 17, 2006, 03:16 PM
Wonder if Digg or AppleInsider will gte the dirt prior to the release again...

sam10685
Apr 17, 2006, 03:17 PM

512MB RAM
40GB Hard Drive
Intel GMA950 Graphics
CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
13.3" Screen

Regards...

i think that those are nice specs but another $200 should get u more than just a 20 gig. bigger hd and a beefed up GPU. (in the jump from model 2 to model 3.) i think u'll also get more RAM and/or a slightly faster Core Duo.

Legacy
Apr 17, 2006, 03:17 PM
$999: Core Solo 1.66Ghz, 512MB DDR2, 60GB HD, 13.3", Integrated graphics, CDRW/DVD
$1299: Core Duo 1.66Ghz, 512MB DDR2, 60GB HD, 13.3", Integrated graphics, CDRW/DVD
$1499: Core Duo 1.66Ghz, 512MB DDR2, 80GB HD, 13.3", X1300 Radeon Mobile, DVD Burner, misc other stuff ** (this model not shipping immediately)

You cant sell a notebook without a DVD burner for £900 GBP...not when you can get one for £400...thats just crazy...im sorry but paying £700 for a computer without one is kinda bad enough...

MrCrowbar
Apr 17, 2006, 03:18 PM
A link has been posted on Page 2, but I thought the picture fits in here well:

http://files.macbidouille.com/news/200604/MacBook_2006.jpg
The poster of this on MacBidouille (http://www.macbidouille.com/news/2006-04-12/#12625) sais it's his vision of the upcoming Macbook so it is NOT a leaked image, it's just a photoshopped iBook with the rumored features.

This guy also pointed out some possible facts about the size (translated by me, native french speaker):

With a 16/9 screen (1280x720), the following dimensions of the whole thing would be 13,3'' in diagonal, 6,52'' high, 11,59'' wide. This compares ti the current 12'' iBook with 12,1'' diagonyl, 4/3 screen (1024x768), height: 7,2'', width 9,68''.
So that would make a unit 0,74'' smaller in hegiht and larger by 1,91''.

EDIT: Why do my posts always go on the bottom of the page? :-(

sam10685
Apr 17, 2006, 03:21 PM

$1299: Core Duo 1.66Ghz, 512MB DDR2, 80GB HD, 13.3", Integrated graphics, CDRW/DVD
$1599: Core Duo 2.0Ghz, 768MB DDR2, 100GB HD, 13.3", X1300 Radeon Mobile, DVD Burner, misc other stuff

milo
Apr 17, 2006, 03:25 PM
I'm just saying offer choices. People like choices, believe it or not.

Of course people like choices. If offering choices had no downside, I'd say offer every imaginable choice.

Sure, fewer options is simpler and cheaper. So why not just offer one laptop and one desktop? Because although simplicity is nice, people have different wants and requirements.

Yep. There's a happy medium somewhere between no choice and infinite choice, and people will always disagree where that is.

I really think you're not getting this. I'm not suggesting that apple makes a dozen different models in every possible configuration. I'm saying offer *some* range of options. You honestly think having 2 sizes of pro laptop, none smaller than 15", and 1 size of consumer laptop, 13", is smart?? :confused: I see people using 15" consumer PC laptops all day long; there's definitely a demand for something reasonably cheap but bigger than 13".

You're pulling a straw man on me. I've never accused you of saying they should offer a ton of models. I haven't said that your request is unreasonable. I've only said that fewer choices may make it easier for them to keep costs down.

And I think you're having a bit of trouble understanding my posts. I've said multiple times that I think they will have three sizes of the pro model, the smallest will likely be a macbook mini ultraslim model. The only real change that's happening is going from 12/14/15/17 to 13/15/17 (assuming the fourth size doesn't reappear later). That's dropping one size, one that was within an inch of one of another size. Not to mention that apple can make as many options available as they want with features, there's room for both a budget and pro config of the 13. We could also see more stripped down configurations of the 15 for the low end as well, that would probably make more sense than having a second completely different model with the same size screen.

aswitcher
Apr 17, 2006, 03:43 PM
$1299: Core Duo 1.66Ghz, 512MB DDR2, 80GB HD, 13.3", Integrated graphics, CDRW/DVD
$1599: Core Duo 2.0Ghz, 768MB DDR2, 100GB HD, 13.3", X1300 Radeon Mobile, DVD Burner, misc other stuff

To keep inventory channels flowing well and reduce wastage, the Superdrive thing should really be standard across the range. Same with graphics card. But Apple will almost cerntainly have a budget end one I guess, so there goes my theory.

moesker007
Apr 17, 2006, 03:50 PM
I am bored of hurrying up and waiting lol i really hope tomorrow is the day i'm macless untell they come out! Well ya i really want them to come out and i hope they aren't too spendy seeing as they are the "consumer" laptop

iSee
Apr 17, 2006, 03:50 PM
This isn't even a rumor! What this is saying is: "People speculate that an intel-based ibook replacement could be released tomorrow. Or maybe next week. Or the week after that. Or the week after that..." :rolleyes:

I wish the Macbook (Not-Pro) would come out so I can be spared more of these not-a-rumors! :D ;)

Moshiiii
Apr 17, 2006, 03:51 PM

How are these prices meant to be acurate? The 1599 one you mention has better specs than a Macbook Pro.

Plymouthbreezer
Apr 17, 2006, 03:51 PM
Let's hope they make the standard hard drives larger then 40GB. 60 should be the baseline thesedays.

moesker007
Apr 17, 2006, 03:57 PM
Let's hope they make the standard hard drives larger then 40GB. 60 should be the baseline thesedays.
Ya...I agree with this...with everythign getting bigger (filesizes liek pictures music and videos) it's too easy to fill a 40 GB drive.

MIDI_EVIL
Apr 17, 2006, 03:59 PM
I'm not in the market for a MacBook but even i'm obssessing over the damn thing!

Speculations are fun, but always end in dissapointment.

Come on Apple!

Rich.

KindredMAC
Apr 17, 2006, 04:00 PM
Last rumor that came out from Apple Insider said that there wouldn't be a Core Solo chip in the MacBooks... only Duo's.
Hope that is true. I don't like the benchmarks on the Mac mini with a solo.

SuperDrives across the board would be the best option but unlikely for a $999 model :(

My optimal choices:

13.3" Widescreen MacBook
1.66GHz Core Duo Intel
40GB Hard Drive
512MB Ram
SuperDrive (but Combo Drive more like it)
AE & BT2.0
2-USB 2.0
1-FireWire 400
1- 10/100 Ethernet port
DVI-Out
$1099

13.3" Widescreen MacBook
1.83GHz Core Duo Intel
80GB Hard Drive
512MB Ram
SuperDrive
AE & BT2.0
2-USB 2.0
1-FireWire 400
1- 10/100 Ethernet port
DVI-Out
$1499

Unfortunately, I believe we will not see the $999 model until Rev B...

Whistleway
Apr 17, 2006, 04:02 PM
Apple is ahead of its intel transition deadlines. I won't expect these to available until end of may or so.. I guess everyone on MR knows that too ;)

Shaddow825
Apr 17, 2006, 04:12 PM
What about backlit keyboard? Will we ever see one even as an *option* in anything less than 15"??

shawnce
Apr 17, 2006, 04:14 PM

Personally I doubt we will see a core duo in Apple's consumer laptop line except for possible as a BTO. I also I would expect integrated graphics only (doubt a BTO would exist).

...but depending on price drops on the core duo side who really knows...

Bern
Apr 17, 2006, 04:17 PM
My bet is what ever revision is out by April next year (when I'm in the market to upgrade) will be far better than what is released soon ;)

MacRumorsReader
Apr 17, 2006, 04:18 PM
The question becomes "Can Apple take the $599 Mini and turn it into a Portable for an extra $400?"

What would it look like?
And would they actually do it?

milo
Apr 17, 2006, 04:21 PM
The question becomes "Can Apple take the $599 Mini and turn it into a Portable for an extra $400?"

What would it look like?
And would they actually do it?

I think that's probably the best guess for two configurations of macbook. Just take the two minis and add a screen. Seems like it should be possible for an extra $400.

Multimedia
Apr 17, 2006, 04:21 PM
What about backlit keyboard? Will we ever see one even as an *option* in anything less than 15"??No.

Multimedia
Apr 17, 2006, 04:23 PM
My bet is what ever revision is out by April next year (when I'm in the market to upgrade) will be far better than what is released soon ;)Duh. :p

DimFlicker
Apr 17, 2006, 04:25 PM
I still don't know about the specs.. and am also beginning to doubt the idea of Core Duo in any of the macbooks... honestly, I am ok with that and would rather have the DVD burner...

There is just no way they can have a $1499 core duo 512 ram, combo dr, and expect people to pay another 500 for a bigger screen and better graphics...

that said Apple needs to get competive laptop out there... I mean a price difference is one things but when its 400 dollars and the specs on the dell is still better.. sheesh. I mean, i'm buying one, no doubt but I don't want the guy with 700 dollar dell to outshow me in my college cafeteria, know what i mean?

moesker007
Apr 17, 2006, 04:26 PM
No.
It's always kinda of been one of those things that seperated the pro and consumer lines of laptops even thought i would really like it in the Macbooks aka iBooks lol

QCassidy352
Apr 17, 2006, 04:27 PM
I've said multiple times that I think they will have three sizes of the pro model, the smallest will likely be a macbook mini ultraslim model.

But you base that on what? No rumor has pointed to a small MBP; every rumor has been that the 12" ibook, 14" ibook, and 12" PB will all collapse in to the 13.3" MB. I hope you're right, but there's no reason to think you are.

The only real change that's happening is going from 12/14/15/17 to 13/15/17

That's over simplifying it. There were 2 choices of size for ibooks, and 3 choices for powerbooks. Assuming you're wrong about the small MBP (and I have no reason to think you're right, except for your own speculation, contrary to the rumors), those size choices get reduced from 2 and 3 to 1 and 2. And I think that's a foolish move on apple's part because there is demand for both a larger consumer notebook and a smaller pro notebook.

We could also see more stripped down configurations of the 15 for the low end as well, that would probably make more sense than having a second completely different model with the same size screen.

:confused: Ok, first, 12" ibook and 12" PB coexisted for years, and all PC makers have the same size screen on both pro and consumer models, so I really don't see how that's a problem.

Second, why on earth would apple ever "strip down" a "pro" notebook, yet leave it in the "pro" line, instead of having something like that in the consumer line?? Apple has never done that in the past, and it would be totally illogical to start. If they're going to have a "stripped down" 15" laptop there's absolutely no chance they would keep it in the Aluminum enclosure with the "pro" name... Talk about causing confusion... :rolleyes:

Joe2000
Apr 17, 2006, 04:28 PM

Hey man, thats my regular store!
I'm a 20minuite drive from BlueWater and I go there every Wednesday night with my Dad. And yeah again to the iBook thing - theres only 1 on display! A

milo
Apr 17, 2006, 04:28 PM
There is just no way they can have a $1499 core duo 512 ram, combo dr, and expect people to pay another 500 for a bigger screen and better graphics...

You never know, apple could bump specs on MBP or drop prices a little when they release the macbook.

QCassidy352
Apr 17, 2006, 04:32 PM
No.

I don't see why not. Like all "pro" features, backlit keys can eventually migrate from "pro" to "standard." Bluetooth, scrolling trackpads, DVD burners (just to give a few examples) used to be only for the "pro" laptops, but have come to be standard. It will happen with the backlit keys too; there is nothing magical about them.

The backlit keys help distinguish the lines; that's the only reason they've only been on powerbooks. As long as other things clearly distinguish the lines, there's no reason that one particular feature has to stay "pro." It's not even something designed for pro use... it's a gimmicky little feature that college kids would love.

Joe2000
Apr 17, 2006, 04:40 PM

Hey man, thats my regular store!
I'm a 20minuite drive from BlueWater and I go there every Wednesday night with my Dad. And yeah again to the iBook thing - theres only 1 on display! A 12"'er right in the corner!

FROM HERE ON THIS POST IS HIGHLY EXPLICIT!

I think we'l see new iBook's this week. Specs as follows:

- 12" Screen, 1024x768 res.

- 1.42GHz G4 Processor

- 512MB Ram

- 60GB Hard Drive

- ATI Radeon 9550 W/32MB VRam

- Combo Drive

- White Enclosure, BlueTooth, NO FRONTROW, NO ISIGHT.

Steve would say:
"So yeah, heres your new friggin iBooks and I think your gonna love em', we thought about 13.3" WS's and Core Duo's but then i thought about india, and how i'd much rather be there. Were not going to bother with a 14" iBook or 12" PowerBook replacement, new PowerMacs and iPods as those people dont exist and I quite frankly can't be bothered with all the hassle. Anyway i've gotta go now as one of my new Buddies at Disney has just had a **** and he needs his ass wiping, with my tounge. Oh yeah we were 30 a little while ago, thanks Woz. Anyway Cya!"

Imagine the crounds reaction!

- Joe.

milo
Apr 17, 2006, 04:44 PM
But you base that on what? No rumor has pointed to a small MBP; every rumor has been that the 12" ibook, 14" ibook, and 12" PB will all collapse in to the 13.3" MB. I hope you're right, but there's no reason to think you are.

That's over simplifying it. There were 2 choices of size for ibooks, and 3 choices for powerbooks. Assuming you're wrong about the small MBP (and I have no reason to think you're right, except for your own speculation, contrary to the rumors), those size choices get reduced from 2 and 3 to 1 and 2. And I think that's a foolish move on apple's part because there is demand for both a larger consumer notebook and a smaller pro notebook.

Second, why on earth would apple ever "strip down" a "pro" notebook, yet leave it in the "pro" line, instead of having something like that in the consumer line?? Apple has never done that in the past, and it would be totally illogical to start. If they're going to have a "stripped down" 15" laptop there's absolutely no chance they would keep it in the Aluminum enclosure with the "pro" name... Talk about causing confusion... :rolleyes:

A future mini macbook is just my own personal opinion. 2+3 is really just 4 since two of those are the same size. And I do think it would be a nicer option to make more features a la carte instead of having a stock "low end" 15 and "pro" 15. (seems like a bit of an artificial distinction anyway) I'd much rather have more BTO options, roll your eyes all you want.

bankshot
Apr 17, 2006, 04:51 PM

Same here. About 2 weeks ago for my G3 600 iBook. And of course it's outside the 3-year window for the logic board replacement program. I may still try to talk Apple into fixing or replacing it anyway (this is my 3rd failure). That would be the best scenario -- keep this iBook for another year or two, and then get a rev B or rev C MacBook. Unfortunately I wouldn't bet on it happening. I'm just not one of those people who can rant and rave to customer service in just the right way to bend them to my will... :( :o

Assuming it doesn't happen that way, then we'll be very interested in a new Intel machine. You don't realize how convenient a laptop truly is, even just around the house, until suddenly you're chained to a desk for anything on the computer. The thing that bugs me most is that I wouldn't even consider spending that money yet if the iBook hadn't failed again. Apple may make more money by selling me an inferior product! :eek:

Oh well. Sounds like May/June (I highly doubt tomorrow)... maybe by then we'll have a few options for Windows virtualization. It'll be very nice to have the few Windows things I need side by side with Mac stuff on the same machine. :cool:

rhsgolfer33
Apr 17, 2006, 04:53 PM
How are these prices meant to be acurate? The 1599 one you mention has better specs than a Macbook Pro.

Not to mention that for only $200 more than the mid end Macbook, youre getting a DVD burner, more ram, a bigger hard drive and a 340mhz faster processor, aint gonna happen. The core duo 2ghz itself is $182 more expensive than the 1.66ghz core duo(according to intels price listing.

$999: 1.66ghz core solo IIG, 60gb hd, 512mb ram, combo
$1299: 1.66ghz core duo, IIG, 60gb hd, 512mb ram, superdrive
$1599: 1.83ghz core duo, X1300 128mb, 80gb hd, 1gb ram, superdrive

This is more so what Id like to see, prolly wont though. If they can get me a core duo, a dedicated graphics card, frontrow, and iSight all in a 13.3" $1599 package, I'm all over it(especially since the top of the line would be $1499 with a $100 education discount).

themacman
Apr 17, 2006, 05:16 PM
Not to mention that for only $200 more than the mid end Macbook, youre getting a DVD burner, more ram, a bigger hard drive and a 340mhz faster processor, aint gonna happen. The core duo 2ghz itself is $182 more expensive than the 1.66ghz core duo(according to intels price listing.

This is more so what Id like to see, prolly wont though. If they can get me a core duo, a dedicated graphics card, frontrow, and iSight all in a 13.3" $1599 package, I'm all over it(especially since the top of the line would be $1499 with a $100 education discount).
dont you think the top end is a little close in specs to the macbook pro, i think if that would come out it would be a 13'' macbook pro, it is way to small of a gap for $400 dollars.

ArthurS
Apr 17, 2006, 05:20 PM

$300 more only for a SuperDrive?

...and a Core Duo instead of solo. Thanks for pointing that out, rhsgolfer :)

rhsgolfer33
Apr 17, 2006, 05:21 PM
dont you think the top end is a little close in specs to the macbook pro, i think if that would come out it would be a 13'' macbook pro, it is way to small of a gap for $400 dollars.

Yeah I totally do, but I cant figure out what specs theyd release the upper end macbook with. I suppose $1599 for a 1.66ghz core duo, X1300, 60gb, 512mb is possible, but I think alot of people will see that as over priced, although Id pay it.

Phobophobia
Apr 17, 2006, 05:22 PM

And a pro design, and a lighted keyboard, and the fastest processor, and bigger HD BTO options...

rhsgolfer33
Apr 17, 2006, 05:23 PM
$300 more only for a SuperDrive?

And a core duo.

but I do agree that even a duo and a superdrive seems like a small difference when you look at what you get for $300 between the high end a low end. I dont know, maybe the higher end will keep 512mb ram or a 60gb hard drive standard, who knows, all we can do is speculate, haha.

Apr 17, 2006, 05:27 PM
it. There were 2 choices of size for ibooks, and 3 choices for powerbooks. Assuming you're wrong about the small MBP (and I have no reason to think you're right, except for your own speculation, contrary to the rumors), those size choices get reduced from 2 and 3 to 1 and 2. And I think that's a foolish move on apple's part because there is demand for both a larger consumer notebook and a smaller pro notebook.

No, it's not foolish, it would be a great move to streamline Apple's inventory...nobody needs more than 3 sizes...13, 15 and 17 would be ideal...just add to that lots of BTO options and you are set to go...no need for 2 extra MBPs or 2 extra MBs...all would be available in 3 sizes and 1/2 models (1 MB with a high-end model that equates the PB 12", plus 2 MBPs with all whistles as usual)...simple and cost-effective for Apple and its factory lines.

Just to add the lines as they will happen by the end of April:

1 MB 13.3" WS
Core Solo A
Core Solo B
Core Duo C (PB 12" replacement with backlit keyboard and better GPU)

1 MBP 15"

as of now

1 MBP 17"

as of MBP 15", plus bigger screen/HD/RAM/fastest Core Duo/bad-ass GPU

Just wait and see...

itcheroni
Apr 17, 2006, 05:30 PM

Since everyone is making their own predictions...

$999: 1.66 core duo, IIG, 512 mb, 60 gb, combo (BTO to SD), no iSight/Frontrow
$1499: 1.83 core duo, a graphics card, 512 mb, 80 gb, SD, iSight + Frontrow

And there will be COLORS!

This will come out right after the price drops by Intel. So not tomorrow. Sorry. The pro line will move to 2.0/2.16/2.33 chips.

j26
Apr 17, 2006, 05:35 PM
Merom chips NEXT TUESDAY!!!:p

justflie
Apr 17, 2006, 06:00 PM
a good point, but a lot of people took that presentation as a real dud. Not too much excitement on anyone's part, including steve's since there was nothing amazing and new that was being presented. i'm just hoping they don't make the same mistake of presenting the macbook in such a fashion (assuming that there's no new amazing feature(s)).

sixsept
Apr 17, 2006, 06:01 PM
The price diference between a ppc mac mini and ibook is $500. With that in mind, I don't think we can see a 1.66GHz Core Duo Macbook below $1299, and that will definitely be with intergrated graphics. $999 will belong to the G4 ibook, which will continue to exist if the rumor is right. The price difference between a 1.67 Core Duo and 1.83 Core Duo is $170 at the moment according to Dell, so I would expect to see a 1.83 Core Duo, integrated graphics with slightly larger capacity hard drive selling at $1599, and I think everything will be coming with 512 MB ram.
I would certainly like to see Apple do better than this, but I seriously doubt it. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised to see 1.66GHz Core Duo Macbook start at $1399 instead of $1299.
Just my $0.02.

iEdd
Apr 17, 2006, 06:03 PM
And a core duo.

I may be asking for too much, but two models sounds good:
$999: 1.66GHz core solo, IIG 32MB, 60GB HDD, combo
$1200-$1400 1.66GHz core duo, X**** 64MB, 80GB HDD, super
:o
EDIT: Actually, better yet, it's time to dump the combo drive. Everything should have a superdrive now. Make them $1000 and $1200 respectively... please?

tny
Apr 17, 2006, 06:05 PM
Since everyone is making their own predictions...

$999: 1.66 core duo, IIG, 512 mb, 60 gb, combo (BTO to SD), no iSight/Frontrow
$1499: 1.83 core duo, a graphics card, 512 mb, 80 gb, SD, iSight + Frontrow

Sorry, not going to happen.

$999: 1.5 core solo, IIG, 512 mb, 60 gb, combo, iSight & FrontRow
$1299: 1.66 core duo, IIG, 512 mb, 80 gb, superdrive (no dl, I guess), iSight & FrontRow

Just like the minis. Maybe the processor speeds will be bumped, but otherwise, I'd expect them to round out exactly as the minis do now.

em500
Apr 17, 2006, 06:14 PM
Maybe Apple will introduce the new Book on May 1st, then the current form factor will have lasted exactly 5 years. The current G4 iBook has essentially the same case design (apart from the slot loading drive) as the May 2001 model. This is by far the longest lasting Apple laptop design, heck probably any laptop design period. It has proven even longer lasting than the iconic G3 iMac design.

I think a little farewell for the current iBook is in order. It has certainly served Apple well; every time that I looked at the Amazon computer top-seller list in the past years it has been in the top 5.

BTW, a very cool overview of Mac models can be found on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Apple_Macintosh_models

count chocula
Apr 17, 2006, 06:19 PM
what are the chances of seeing a new macbook with a 13.3 inch widescreen, 1.67 ghz core duo, 512 mb ram, 60gb hard drive, isight, front row, super drive, and a backlit keyboard for around $999? i want that really bad!

direzz
Apr 17, 2006, 06:23 PM
what are the chances of seeing a new macbook with a 13.3 inch widescreen, 1.67 ghz core duo, 512 mb ram, 60gb hard drive, isight, front row, super drive, and a backlit keyboard for around $999? i want that really bad!

NOT happeneing. i expect it to go up at minimum 100 dollars, max 200. sorry.

Legacy
Apr 17, 2006, 06:26 PM

Really doubt it. I think theyre gonna use integrated graphics on both models.
So the closest would be:

MacBook

13.3"/Duo 1.66/512MB/40GB/Combo/GMA950/iSight/FrontRow $999
13.3"/Duo 1.83/512MB/60GB/SuperDrive/GMA950/iSight/FrontRow $1299

(Cheaper design, no backlit, crapper tinny speakers etc)

MacBook Pro

15.4"/Duo 2.0/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/X1600 128MB/iSight/FrontRow $1999
15.4"/Duo 2.16/1GB/100GB/SuperDrive/X1600 256MB/iSight/FrontRow $2499
17"/Duo 2.33/1GB/120GB/SuperDrive/X1800 256MB/iSight/FrontRow $2999

I'm worried we wont see a dedicated GPU at all guys...sorry:o

QCassidy352
Apr 17, 2006, 06:27 PM
I'd much rather have more BTO options, roll your eyes all you want.

You can prefer whatever you want, but it's never going to happen.

No, it's not foolish, it would be a great move to streamline Apple's inventory...nobody needs more than 3 sizes...13, 15 and 17 would be ideal...just add to that lots of BTO options and you are set to go...no need for 2 extra MBPs or 2 extra MBs...all would be available in 3 sizes and 1/2 models (1 MB with a high-end model that equates the PB 12", plus 2 MBPs with all whistles as usual)...simple and cost-effective for Apple and its factory lines.

No, nobody needs things that streamlined. 2 sizes of ibook and 3 of powerbook was quite streamlined enough. It's not about having more than 3 sizes. I agree that 3 sizes is all we need. But there should be both pro and consumer versions of the 13" and 15".

There should be a small laptop that both *looks* and *performs* as professionals demand.
There also should be a larger consumer laptop for $1500 or less.
You're not going to get either of those things with BTO options.

bigandy
Apr 17, 2006, 06:41 PM
all i have to say is "oh i bloody well hope so", because it'll stop all the complaining :rolleyes: ;)

sam10685
Apr 17, 2006, 06:45 PM

true. but take the iPod line; a 1 gb Shuffle is $99 a gigabyte. HOWEVER, a 60 gig 5th generation iPod is $6.65 a gigabyte. :confused:

iPC
Apr 17, 2006, 06:47 PM
Same here. About 2 weeks ago for my G3 600 iBook. And of course it's outside the 3-year window for the logic board replacement program. I may still try to talk Apple into fixing or replacing it anyway (this is my 3rd failure). That would be the best scenario -- keep this iBook for another year or two, and then get a rev B or rev C MacBook. Unfortunately I wouldn't bet on it happening. I'm just not one of those people who can rant and rave to customer service in just the right way to bend them to my will... :( :o

Assuming it doesn't happen that way, then we'll be very interested in a new Intel machine. You don't realize how convenient a laptop truly is, even just around the house, until suddenly you're chained to a desk for anything on the computer. The thing that bugs me most is that I wouldn't even consider spending that money yet if the iBook hadn't failed again. Apple may make more money by selling me an inferior product! :eek:

Oh well. Sounds like May/June (I highly doubt tomorrow)... maybe by then we'll have a few options for Windows virtualization. It'll be very nice to have the few Windows things I need side by side with Mac stuff on the same machine. :cool:

my g3 800 just crapped out on me too... stupid logic board. problem is i worked on it before so i can not send it in (not original hdd). :(

count chocula
Apr 17, 2006, 06:47 PM
Really doubt it. I think theyre gonna use integrated graphics on both models.
So the closest would be:

MacBook

13.3"/Duo 1.66/512MB/40GB/Combo/GMA950/iSight/FrontRow $999

i could go for that... upgrade the ram to 1 gb and hard drive to 80 gb and i'm one happy camper

sam10685
Apr 17, 2006, 06:48 PM
i think they should ALSO roll out a 10.7" laptop. they are feakin' sweet! (sony has them and i was this close to getting one but then i stopped and realized only windowz comes on Sonys and what a horrible OS windowz is.)

excalibur313
Apr 17, 2006, 06:50 PM
i could go for that... upgrade the ram to 1 gb and hard drive to 80 gb and i'm one happy camper

1.66 core duos in a lap top would fetch way more than $1000...probably $1300 at least. Just look at the price difference between the imac and macbook pro.

Cassowary
Apr 17, 2006, 06:51 PM
If they offer colors, I'll be going for a white one ... unless one of the colors is beige! Everyone and <a href="http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/notebooks_Q1_W11_2006-04-18_inspn_1300_N510406?c=au&l=en&s=dhs">their dog</a> makes blackish laptops, but a nice retro-style beige laptop that reminds me of the early 1990s would be cool. And a real keyboard like on my Toshiba 386 lappies would be an impossible but otherwise nifty feature :)

iEdd
Apr 17, 2006, 06:52 PM
If this one laptop is replacing 3 (12" iB, 14" iB, 12" PB), I HIGHLY doubt they will only have IIG. Steve Jobs isn't about to crap apple out like that.

Dagless
Apr 17, 2006, 06:53 PM
I am very much anticipating the MacBooks. dont know why, I think I'm just intrigued by the rumoured new coloured cases. That would be something to behold. And certainly a view into Apple's potential future design style.

milo
Apr 17, 2006, 06:54 PM

No, nobody needs things that streamlined. 2 sizes of ibook and 3 of powerbook was quite streamlined enough. It's not about having more than 3 sizes. I agree that 3 sizes is all we need. But there should be both pro and consumer versions of the 13" and 15".

There should be a small laptop that both *looks* and *performs* as professionals demand. There also should be a larger consumer laptop for $1500 or less. You're not going to get either of those things with BTO options.

What's never going to happen? That we'll never see more BTO options? That seems like a rather foolish prediction.

I think you're just hung up over semantics. I think we will see a pro and budget 13", they just won't be two completely different models. They will be two different configurations of the same case. I think it's likely we'll also see more BTO options or good/better/best versions of the 15" instead of two different 15" cases. One option is instead of upgrading the base 15", just keep the same specs but drop the price until it's $1499 and up the specs of the "pro" version at $1999. I could care less if they call the cheap version "pro" or not. As far as I'm concerned, the mini ships in a choice of pro and consumer versions (although apple didn't name them that).

Go back and read BRlawyers post, he spells it out well.

And just for the record, I don't think there's a chance in hell of a mac hardware announcement tomorrow.

ImAlwaysRight
Apr 17, 2006, 07:03 PM
Aflells agape agil ddoooo iieiiie ssssowetuos wero ipsim addalu wawusdf s dfdfsi popoo vi da uchu Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook ggsire uus ywey teys ygsid, :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

And you think you're going crazy? :p

rhsgolfer33
Apr 17, 2006, 07:05 PM
true. but take the iPod line; a 1 gb Shuffle is $99 a gigabyte. HOWEVER, a 60 gig 5th generation iPod is $6.65 a gigabyte. :confused:

Well, the shuffle uses flash based memory while the iPod is a harddrive. Also, when you buy something in larger quantity the price tends to lower. Its like buying Ketchup from Costco, you might have to buy 2 gallons of it, but it costs less per ounce than the 16oz bottle you buy at Albertsons. The 30gb at $10 per gb compared to the 60gb at $6.67 per gb shows this theory well.

sam10685
Apr 17, 2006, 07:22 PM
Well, the shuffle uses flash based memory while the iPod is a harddrive. Also, when you buy something in larger quantity the price tends to lower. Its like buying Ketchup from Costco, you might have to buy 2 gallons of it, but it costs less per ounce than the 16oz bottle you buy at Albertsons. The 30gb at $10 per gb compared to the 60gb at $6.67 per gb shows this theory well.

guess ur right... forgot the shuffle was flash-based... my bad...

rhsgolfer33
Apr 17, 2006, 07:23 PM

There should be a small laptop that both *looks* and *performs* as professionals demand.
There also should be a larger consumer laptop for $1500 or less.
You're not going to get either of those things with BTO options.

No one needs it that streamlined? You havent run a business have you? Streamlined=saved dollars. Apple using DDR 667 in the new models, 5400 rpm drives stock in all of them, it saves them money and time. One deal for all of their memory and hd's=less cost because of larger bulk buying. Streamlining things like these could save hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars for a company like apple. Cutting a model or merging lines could save them even more.

bluedevil14
Apr 17, 2006, 07:26 PM
i dont know if this hs been mentioned before, but i can completely see apple not making any announcement at all for the new Macbook/iBook and just putting on their website. It would be "Thinking Different". Also, I dont think a new iBook deserves a whole special event unless its really really thin and sexy.
What do you think about this for apples line up:
Desktop Laptop iPod
Pro: Powermac/Macpro= Macbook pro= ipod video
Consumer: iMac=Macbook mini= ipod shuffle
Budget: mini= macbook nano=ipod nano/mini
kind of fits a little too conveniently don't you think?

MrCrowbar
Apr 17, 2006, 07:29 PM
guess ur right... forgot the shuffle was flash-based... my bad...

I know of some camera memory cards that have really tiny hard drives, but in the shuffle... LOL
The Nano is flash based too by the way. Flash memory is extremely expensive and very slow compared to HDDs. But on the good side, flash memory has much lower power consumption and hase no moving parts. I think we might see hard drives beeing replaced by flash memory in notebooks in a couple of years because it's not sensible to shock and is easy on the battery. I can picture the apple specs... "What!? No hard drive!? Oh, 160GB flash drive... nice" :p
I wonder what will replace hard drives in the long run though. The invention is pretty old now... any ideas?

iEdd
Apr 17, 2006, 07:31 PM
Flash memory is extremely expensive and very slow compared to HDDs.
Huh? I thought flash memory was much faster than a hard drive?

~Shard~
Apr 17, 2006, 07:34 PM
Flash memory is extremely expensive and very slow compared to HDDs.

You meant the opposite, right? Yeah, you did... :p ;) :D

I wonder what will replace hard drives in the long run though. The invention is pretty old now... any ideas?

That's an easy one - holographic storage. :cool:

excalibur313
Apr 17, 2006, 07:45 PM
I looked on samsung's site and the K9NBG08U5M is a 32gb flash drive. How much do these go for and would they use this in an upcoming macbook (pro)?

EDIT: Whoops it appears they are 32 gigabit (4gigabyte) and that they use them in nanos. Still, solder maybe 3 or 4 together and that would certainly be enough for day to day use and I could just have an external one at home that I could store really big things. That is they way you get 6 hours with a core duo!

DimFlicker
Apr 17, 2006, 07:50 PM
I was thinking about the media event thing and why the Macbook won't get one... I think the only reason they held one in Feb is becuase they thought the Video Ipod would be ready.. and then its wasn't so we got overpriced speakers instead... voting for silent update, but I don't think it will be tomorrow.. later this month, maybe the first two weeks of MAy. Apple doesn't love me enough to let me use my new latop the last quarter of school...

thejadedmonkey
Apr 17, 2006, 07:50 PM
my g3 800 just crapped out on me too... stupid logic board. problem is i worked on it before so i can not send it in (not original hdd). :(
That shouldn't matter. As long as as you didn't hurt the logic board replacing the hard drive, the only thing that's out of warranty is the hard drive. The rest of the computer's warranty should still be good. Call apple up and bug em!

P.S. This assumes that the computer is still under warranty.

nsjoker
Apr 17, 2006, 07:53 PM
i dont know if this hs been mentioned before, but i can completely see apple not making any announcement at all for the new Macbook/iBook and just putting on their website. It would be "Thinking Different". Also, I dont think a new iBook deserves a whole special event unless its really really thin and sexy.
What do you think about this for apples line up:
Desktop Laptop iPod
Pro: Powermac/Macpro= Macbook pro= ipod video
Consumer: iMac=Macbook mini= ipod shuffle
Budget: mini= macbook nano=ipod nano/mini
kind of fits a little too conveniently don't you think?

yea, except switch shuffle over to budget and nano over to consumer. shuffle is 99 tops whereas nano is 149 lowest.

pavetheforest
Apr 17, 2006, 08:01 PM
i think i've read enough! show me the macBooks baby

MrCrowbar
Apr 17, 2006, 08:02 PM
Huh? I thought flash memory was much faster than a hard drive?

My bad, of course modern flash memory is faster than HDDs. I guess the connection makes it slower in every day use. Filling up my 512MB schuffle takes much longer than moving the same files to my USB hard drive. Why is that?

Holographic Memory?? My imagination processing unit is not powerful enough to render a picture of that... :p I'll check wikipedia later :cool:

~Shard~
Apr 17, 2006, 08:04 PM
Holographic Memory?? My imagination processing unit is not powerful enough to render a picture of that... :p I'll check wikipedia later :cool:

Imagination not required in the least - here, let me help you (http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/03/28/2226239&from=rss). :) I'm guessing you didn't realize it was such a reality... ;) :cool:

bluedevil14
Apr 17, 2006, 08:09 PM
yea, except switch shuffle over to budget and nano over to consumer. shuffle is 99 tops whereas nano is 149 lowest.
i stand corrected

iEdd
Apr 17, 2006, 08:09 PM
Filling up my 512MB schuffle takes much longer than moving the same files to my USB hard drive. Why is that?:
Could be a number of reasons. For one thing, remember that a hard drive is capable of much faster speeds than USB 2.0 has, eg FW800, SATA, etc. The circuitry in your HDD is probably just better and designed for faster transfers and bigger files... Well that's my guess anyway. :confused: Unless you connected your shuffle to your keyboard, in which case it would only be USB 1.1?

DaftUnion
Apr 17, 2006, 08:21 PM
It'll be next Tuesday...without a doubt.:rolleyes:

haleyvan
Apr 17, 2006, 08:26 PM
so...it doesn't matter if they're announced tomorrow or in may/june, basically we won't have them in our hands until june/july because of shipping delays??? is this true?

itcheroni
Apr 17, 2006, 08:29 PM
Sorry, not going to happen.

$999: 1.5 core solo, IIG, 512 mb, 60 gb, combo, iSight & FrontRow
$1299: 1.66 core duo, IIG, 512 mb, 80 gb, superdrive (no dl, I guess), iSight & FrontRow

Just like the minis. Maybe the processor speeds will be bumped, but otherwise, I'd expect them to round out exactly as the minis do now.

How about a small wager? $1 through paypal? We both make our predictions and whoever is closer wins. If it's too debatable, it's a draw. Or we could make it on just one point. Like core solo or no core solo. As you can see, I have a gambling problem. :)

~Shard~
Apr 17, 2006, 08:30 PM
so...it doesn't matter if they're announced tomorrow or in may/june, basically we won't have them in our hands until june/july because of shipping delays??? is this true?

Apple has been famous in the past for announcing a product with shipping dates which are 1-2 months out. Then again, they also have released products which are hipping immediately, so it's really anyone's guess. It definitely shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone if they do indeed announce shipping dates into the summer.

At least they'll be hitting the back to school buyers in the fall regardless... :o ;)

haleyvan
Apr 17, 2006, 08:34 PM
Apple has been famous in the past for announcing a product with shipping dates which are 1-2 months out. Then again, they also have released products which are hipping immediately, so it's really anyone's guess. It definitely shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone if they do indeed announce shipping dates into the summer.

At least they'll be hitting the back to school buyers in the fall regardless... :o ;)

oh MAYN..my dell just died and i have been waiting for these ibooks since november. like everyone else, i'm not even excited anymore and i highly doubt they'll announce them tomorrow. i've already gotten my hopes smashed one too many times this year! i should stop checking this site...

~Shard~
Apr 17, 2006, 08:40 PM
oh MAYN..my dell just died and i have been waiting for these ibooks since november. like everyone else, i'm not even excited anymore and i highly doubt they'll announce them tomorrow. i've already gotten my hopes smashed one too many times this year! i should stop checking this site...

I hear where you're coming from - no one said this transition would work out perfectly for everyone from a timing perspective. Not much you can do about it unfortunately... :(

luminosity
Apr 17, 2006, 08:42 PM
I'm definitely glad I got my iBook in January.

MrCrowbar
Apr 17, 2006, 08:43 PM
Could be a number of reasons. For one thing, remember that a hard drive is capable of much faster speeds than USB 2.0 has, eg FW800, SATA, etc. The circuitry in your HDD is probably just better and designed for faster transfers and bigger files... Well that's my guess anyway. :confused: Unless you connected your shuffle to your keyboard, in which case it would only be USB 1.1?

Actually I'm stuck here with this Windows mashine. Using Macs a lot, but don't own one yet (waiting for a small but fast portable). You're right about file sizes, but caching doesn't work at all when using drives via USB (on Windows). Oh well, it's fast enough for now.

CellarDoor
Apr 17, 2006, 08:44 PM
Well that's my guess anyway. :confused: Unless you connected your shuffle to your keyboard, in which case it would only be USB 1.1?
Can't be. shuffles require a powered usb port. keyboard ports aren't powered.

berkleeboy210
Apr 17, 2006, 08:44 PM
in the past when the rumor mill has been quiet did it signify something big is in the works, or nothing?

sam10685
Apr 17, 2006, 08:47 PM
That's an easy one - holographic storage. :cool:

how does holographic storage work anyway? i know it's there - better technology, but i don't get it.

direzz
Apr 17, 2006, 08:50 PM
I'm definitely glad I got my iBook in January.

BWAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA!!!

no seriously, your're kidding right?

~Shard~
Apr 17, 2006, 08:54 PM
how does holographic storage work anyway? i know it's there - better technology, but i don't get it.

Well, you see, there's this website called 'Google' and it's the darndest thing... :p ;)

Just bugging ya - here are some links I have on (http://www.inphase-technologies.com/technology/index.html) the (http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/howholo/) subject (http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/rd/443/ashley.html). :cool:

MrCrowbar
Apr 17, 2006, 08:58 PM
Well, you see, there's this website called 'Google' and it's the darndest thing... :p ;)

Just bugging ya - here are some links I have on (http://www.inphase-technologies.com/technology/index.html) the (http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/howholo/) subject (http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/rd/443/ashley.html). :cool:

Damn... and I just figured out the details of HDDs a few months ago...
Can't wait for holographic memory in my iPod. A few terrabytes... No need to compress your CDs anymore. :D :eek: :cool: :p :rolleyes: :) ;) <insert more happy smileys here>

QCassidy352
Apr 17, 2006, 09:08 PM
What's never going to happen? That we'll never see more BTO options? That seems like a rather foolish prediction.

No. You said you'd rather see a stripped down 15" MBP sold for cheaper than see a 15" MB. That's what's never going to happen. Why would they price and spec it like a consumer product but keep the "pro" casing and name? Why would you even prefer that? :confused:

I think you're just hung up over semantics. I think we will see a pro and budget 13", they just won't be two completely different models.

It's not just semantics; it makes a big difference if they're in the same "family" or not. Professional people don't want to take a white plastic ibook in to a business meeting. Also, the build quality on the ibooks is nowhere near that on the powerbooks. (I've owned both.)

One option is instead of upgrading the base 15", just keep the same specs but drop the price until it's $1499 and up the specs of the "pro" version at $1999.

I'd be happy with that. But apple has never priced 15" laptops in the "pro" line anywhere near $1500, and I don't see why they'd start now. If there's a $1500 15" laptop, it'll be in the consumer line.

And just for the record, I don't think there's a chance in hell of a mac hardware announcement tomorrow.

Sadly, I agree. :( Ship times are still within 24 hours... no way anything is coming.

No one needs it that streamlined? You havent run a business have you? Streamlined=saved dollars....

Ok, so like I said before, let's streamline it down to just one laptop and one desktop. Perfect simplicity. :rolleyes:

Of course simplicity is good. But so is actually selling products that your customers want. Apple's lineup is already one of the most simple of any major computer maker. Compare to Dell: They have 3 lines, low (2 sizes), medium, (3 sizes) and high (2 sizes) end. IMO, that's too much. But 2 consumer sizes and 3 pro sizes is not.

There clearly needs to be a balance. Having 4 sizes of macbook and 4 sizes of MBP would be too many choices at the cost of efficient streamlining. Having 1 size of macbook and 2 sizes of MBP would be too far the other way, and I really hope apple doesn't do it.

luminosity
Apr 17, 2006, 09:09 PM
no seriously, your're kidding right?

not at all. while everyone here is waiting, and has been for months, i have what i need.

Hoosier
Apr 17, 2006, 09:10 PM
There's better than a 50-50 chance there will be an announcement before the analyst meeting. Apple should know that analysts do not necessarily care so much on how great they have done in the past quarter or so because that is by and large already accounted for in their estimates. Analysts care most about the growth story and how Apple plans to achieve that growth. The Boot Camp announcement was deliberately timed a couple of weeks ago to cause a paradigm shift for Apple to be viewed as a credible PC competitor and not just as a niche 5% player, allowing the launch of a slate of new consumer computer products to be viewed in a whole new light. I work on Wall Street, and I think this all will be viewed very favorably by analysts and investors.

I haven't been following Apple until recently, but IMO there does not have to be a splashy launch for the new Macbook line. Past events seem to have announced truly "new" things such as the Intel switch, Macbook Pro, HiFi, etc. So far iBook/Macbook will not be really new since it will really just be a derivative of the Mini and Macbook Pro -- nothing really "new" except for the new form factor or new colors.

Just my 2 cents.

Val-kyrie
Apr 17, 2006, 09:15 PM
I can't wait to get one so I can load Windows XP on it! The integrated graphics should be awesome! Apple rules!

The only way I want integrated graphics is if Apple were to adopt a hybrid graphics system--integrated unplugged and discrete plugged-in. Sony just released an SZ notebook which is supposedly the first notebook with this functionality. However, I don't think I would expect this before the next rev., and probably not until Leopard is released. The notebook was a 13.3" Core Duo with the GMA950 and GeForce Go 7400 with TurboCache. Not sure I like the choice of gfx card, but the price tag was a hefty $1999, so I imagine the possibility of a three-tiered MacBook: a low-end model (integrated gfx only), a mid-range model (discrete gfx only), and a high-end model to replace the 12" PB (hybrid gfx). At least, I think this would be interesting.

MrCrowbar
Apr 17, 2006, 09:19 PM
There's better than a 50-50 chance there will be an announcement before the analyst meeting.
[...]
Just my 2 cents.

First, I welcome our new member and appreciate that (s)he's an insider. (S)He has a point actually. Do you know when the analyst meeting will take place? I have to set up an alarm clock so that I can sleep well without having nightmares about missing out something. And if I like what I see, I want to order it fast to get it fast.

Yea, I know, I'm a geek :p

rhsgolfer33
Apr 17, 2006, 09:26 PM
Of course simplicity is good. But so is actually selling products that your customers want. Apple's lineup is already one of the most simple of any major computer maker. Compare to Dell: They have 3 lines, low (2 sizes), medium, (3 sizes) and high (2 sizes) end. IMO, that's too much. But 2 consumer sizes and 3 pro sizes is not.

Considering all the hype thats been surrounding the 13.3" Macbook(12" & 14" ibook/12" powerbook replacements) line I really doubt theyre going to have any problem selling products consumers and pros want. If they make a powerfull 12" Powerbook replacement Macbook they won't have a problem selling it just as well as the old 12", most of the people I see buying or carrying the 12" powerbook are hardly what I would consider "pros".

iPodMechanic
Apr 17, 2006, 09:36 PM
Just got my new Macbook pro from the refurbished apple store. Paid overnight shipping got it in a week and half or so. Pretty rediculous from the beginning. Just unpacked it, keyboard is sticky, the space bar and many other keys stick down. If you press down a key it will stick on the bottom for about 2-3 seconds and slowly work it's way back to the normal position. Looks like pop was spilled on it and no one checked..

Called apple, and they would not send a replacement, rather they are making me send it in for repair which will take another week or so.

I asked what they would do to make it right, and they offered me iWork 06. I agreed because she said she couldn't do anything else but frankly I'm still not happy.

What would you do in this situation? Accept the repair? Ask for an upgrade to 2.0ghz? Dispute the credit card transaction? Please help me see this from other's perspective.

Look forward to a reply.

AidenShaw
Apr 17, 2006, 09:39 PM
Can't be. shuffles require a powered usb port. keyboard ports aren't powered.
That must be why you can't plug your mouse into the keyboard port.

There's no power for the mouse electronics. Especially the optical mice with the red LED.

I've often wondered why Apple puts those completely useless ports on the keyboard.

</sarcasm>

~Shard~
Apr 17, 2006, 09:41 PM
Damn... and I just figured out the details of HDDs a few months ago...
Can't wait for holographic memory in my iPod. A few terrabytes... No need to compress your CDs anymore. :D :eek: :cool: :p :rolleyes: :) ;) <insert more happy smileys here>

Exactly - it's gonna be great! :D

Now combine that with Apple's multi-touch display technology which they have patents on, and that would be one simply amazing system. :eek: :cool:

Peace
Apr 17, 2006, 09:43 PM
Exactly - it's gonna be great! :D

Now combine that with Apple's multi-touch display technology which they have patents on, and that would be one simply amazing system. :eek: :cool:

For one simply amazing price :p

AidenShaw
Apr 17, 2006, 09:44 PM
Professional people don't want to take a white plastic ibook in to a business meeting.
Many of us don't want to take a white plastic *anything* *anywhere*.

"white plastic" == "fugly"

That's why I have a red Nano (the original) and a black Nano (the Apple one).

Too bad Apple ships white headphones and USB cable with the black Nano. For a company so consumed with "style", that seems to be an egregious oversight.

~Shard~
Apr 17, 2006, 09:44 PM
For one simply amazing price :p

Yep - and by "simply amazing" we're not talking in a good way... :p :D

gkarris
Apr 17, 2006, 09:48 PM
I haven't read all the posts, but IMO, they will have the same specs as the minis, and be $1099, and $1299, equally more expensive too...

AidenShaw
Apr 17, 2006, 09:50 PM
Just got my new Macbook pro from the refurbished apple store. Paid overnight shipping got it in a week and half or so. Pretty rediculous from the beginning. Just unpacked it, keyboard is sticky, the space bar and many other keys stick down.

What would you do in this situation?
Ask to speak to the supervisor (as many times as necessary).

Apple screwed up in refurbishing - get it made right, and don't accept being weeks without your computer while "maybe" they clean the Coke out.

If they replace the keyboard, will you trust that there's no damage to the speakers, or other components. (Coke and many other soft drinks and fruit juices have a lot of acid.)

Don't expect a faster system - but demand a *different* one.