Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
Hey all,
I got a new sawtooth. When I go to the apple menu an click sleep all that happens is the screen turns off and the hard drives spin down. In my former sawtooth, the screen would turn off, hard drives would spin down, the fans would turn off and the power button would glow yellow. The last two things dont happen on my new sawtooth. Also on my new one I can wake it from sleep with the mouse where as the old one need the be awoken by touching keys on the keyboard. Anyone know whats wrong with my current sawtooth?

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Your sig says you have an upgrade card; who is the manufacturer? There have been some reported minor abnormalities because of some of the higher speed upgrades in the Sawtooth...

Either way, if everything else is working fine my advice is to not bother sleeping it at all. It really makes little difference in power consumption and wear.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
I had sleep issues with my G4 too. When I first got it there were issues but a firmware upgrade fixed that. Then when I added the Sonnet upgrade card and upgraded to OS X Panther sometimes it would never go into sleep mode at all. Never figured out why, either did or didn't.

I wouldn't worry too much about it if you can't get it fixed. It might have to do with the upgrade card like what disconap says. Just set your monitor to sleep and Hard Drive spin down option checked in the Energy Panel.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Do you have any USB devices connected? Those prevent my G4 from sleeping properly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
I ordered the upgrade card, didnt install it yet. I am still running the standard 500mhz card.

Invizzible

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
My sawtooth won't go completely to sleep, and the problem started when I installed Pro Tools LE. For a while, I uninstalled it and used it on an external hard drive, and then my computer would go into sleep mode properly. Problem was, this also required installing OS X on the external drive. I got tired of such a cludgy setup, so I finally put Pro Tools back on my main drive and decided to forfeit the ability to put my computer to sleep. Now I leave it on 34/7, and just set it to put the monitors to sleep and spin the hard drives down when not in use.

Incidently, the only other problem I've ever had with my sawtooth was also caused by Pro Tools. It caused iTunes to close before it had a chance to open all the way. Turned out to be some component of Digidesign software that was supposed to allow my iTunes files to play through my Digidesign hardware. Once I de-selected iTunes from the list of apps that was set to play through my Digi 001, it started behaving normally again.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
What version of OSX are you running? The only time I had problems with anything with my Sawtooth (even in the five years it was a 400mHz machine) was in OS9...

Also, go into system profiler and check what your boot ROM is; the most current (I believe) is 4.2.8f1. If it is lower than this, you need to go into the Apple support docs and update it (you'd need to do this anyway before installing your upgrade). You'll also need to boot into OS9 to install it, though they may have an OSX installer now.

And complete apologies if you know/have already done all of the above, just trying to help. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.