PDA

View Full Version : help with ibook g4

jynx21
Apr 17, 2006, 01:56 PM
Hey

My ibook g4 has recently started running really slow and i'm not too sure why. I seem to be getting lots of beachballs and sometimes even word struggles to keep up. I have 35gb of hard drive space so i know thats not it! I have recently networked my computers via a wireless router and was wondering if anyone knew if this would of affected the overall running of my ibook. If anyone has any ideas as to what my be wrong, and/or how i can rectify it i would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance

berg
Apr 17, 2006, 03:04 PM
Hi jynx ... are you up to your usual? ... no pun intended .. lol

General Sluggishness? Follow these steps ...

Repair Disk and Permissions

These steps will check for, and usually repair, any corruption on your OS X boot volume

1) Boot from your Mac OS X Install Disc 1 CD. Put CD in drive, wait for it to show up on the desktop, then go to upper left of screen under the Apple menu and choose restart. Immediately hold the "c" key down until you see the apple logo.

2) When the Installer window opens, select Installer > Disk Utility from the Apple® menu bar.

3) When the Disk Utility window opens, select "Macintosh HD" in the list on the left.

4) Select the First Aid tab on the right

5) Select the "Repair Disk" button on the lower right of the screen.
If errors are returned repeat this process 2 or 3 times until they are gone.

If you still get errors then you will need to use a third-party disk utility to repair your Mac OS X boot volume, such as Alsoft® Disk Warrior®

6) After Repair Disk completes .. Click on "Repair Permissions" .. after permissions repair go to Disk Utility > Quit. Focus returns to Installer.

7) Go to Installer > Quit. In the next menu choose Quit again and the computer will restart in OSX

8) Download and Run this ...Onyx
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582
Go to Automation Pane ..
Check all the boxes EXCEPT
1. Optimize the system
2. Hidden DS Store Files
3. Links between documents and applications

Also choose "Clear All" in the button box for caches. Then execute

These settings perform three basic troubleshooting procedures ...
A/ Repairs permissions
B/ Runs Unix maintenance (cron) scripts
C/ Clears caches

9) Energy Saver - Set processor performance to "highest" (if applicable)

10). For other causes and solutions ...
Mac OSX Speed Troubleshooting
http://www.macmaps.com/Macosxspeed.html

GimmeSlack12
Apr 17, 2006, 05:03 PM
I agree with Berg's reply.

But the thing with situations like this is that there has to be some sort of installation that has been done recently that could be the suspect in this problem.

Did the sluggishness just "happen" . What have you been doing with your system? I have the same iBook and have never had a problem, yet I read a lot of these threads that the system is "slow all of a sudden". Any recent additions to your system? Themes are a big factor if you have any, added any RAM? Running a lot of programs?

jynx21
Apr 17, 2006, 06:10 PM
Did the sluggishness just "happen" . What have you been doing with your system? I have the same iBook and have never had a problem, yet I read a lot of these threads that the system is "slow all of a sudden". Any recent additions to your system? Themes are a big factor if you have any, added any RAM? Running a lot of programs?

The only thing i have changed recently is my hard drive as the last one failed. everything working fine up until recently, then all of a sudden really slow. I'm gonna give the tips mentioned by berg a go and see if that makes much difference. I'll let you know how things work out. Thanks again for the advice. :)

GimmeSlack12
Apr 17, 2006, 07:38 PM
The only thing i have changed recently is my hard drive as the last one failed. everything working fine up until recently, then all of a sudden really slow.
Aahh so the system has had a change recently. Sounds like a hard drive problem, and yet with it being new sounds like it could be deeper. I hope it is not the case and I don't want to lead you to that conclusion quite yet, but don't rule that out. Who replaced the failed drive? Apple I guess could be assumed since the iBook is fairly new. Good Luck with it.

jynx21
Apr 18, 2006, 06:50 PM
Hey thanks for all the advice, have managed to repair some of the damage in disk utility, although it says it can't repair one volume - not entirley sure what this means to be honest....any ideas on how to repair it?

With regards to placing the hard drive, i did it myself about 3 months ago and everything went ok so i'm not sure if thats the problem!! Overall system has picked up a little bit, but still a little sluggish and the hd is making a fair amount of noise, is this usual?

If anyone has anymore advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks