PDA

View Full Version : powerbook keyboard has gone psycho

scootermafia
Apr 17, 2006, 03:01 PM
Something's seriously wrong. The mac in most applications repeatedly makes the noise it would make when you hit a keyboard key when you're not supposed to and you get a medium key-tone. When I hit alt-tab, it scrolls through the options at rapid speed, going through the open programs over and over until I click out of it. However, I can use apps and type normally, there's no indication that any key is being pressed. Just the rapid-fire beep noise of a key being hit when it isn't supposed to. However on some password dialogs when i try to type a password, the box fills up with keypresses (the little dots of hidden typing). The problem exists in all my user accounts. Sometimes when I reboot the problem goes away for a while then comes back. Any ideas?

Edit: in MS Word it keeps doing a grammar check over and over as I hit enter. The keypress for that is command-shift-L. Hmm.

GimmeSlack12
Apr 17, 2006, 05:23 PM
When you hit alt-tab? You mean command-tab? Alt-tab does very little in the Mac world. I would just assume a restart would resolve this issue but apparently not. What OS are you running? Any recent installations to your PB?

scootermafia
Apr 17, 2006, 05:31 PM
I meant command tab, sorry, I have a PC too and sometimes I get confused. No recent installs. I had a problem where i dragged a file to the desktop which got corrupted and made the Finder go nuts and quit/reboot over and over. I logged in as another user, deleted the offending file, and went from there. Finder was okay then.

I noticed a few days later that apps like word and textedit would randomly quit on me. I had a few problems with Adium. Then I noticed a problem where the mac would make the beeping noise where you are hitting a keyboard key when you are not supposed to only over and over in rapid succession. The command-tab action to bring up the app switcher would cycle in circles until i clicked out of it. Opening Word would make the grammar checker open up over and over if i hit enter to hit okay to close it - the command apple-shift-L. This problem was in all of my user accounts.

I tried to install Jaguar with my original restore disk on my firewire external. First when it finished and rebooted, it went the user select screen where the only user was "other" and there was no possible password to enter, all combinations of user and password were rejected. I tried to reset the passwords but the utility didn't detect any. Later when i tried to boot that install of OSX it hung at the "application services" dialog as the bar tried to progress.

Hardware test shows the computer is fine...