PDA

View Full Version : I think this could help server load during WWDC and MWSF

eva01
Apr 17, 2006, 05:51 PM
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=111560

Lowers server load because guests cannot see who is online.

May only do a lessen server load a bit but i believe it would be worth it

arn
Apr 18, 2006, 12:52 AM
I fear it will take a lot of hardware to handle WWDC this year. I think all eyes will be on Apple then. (PC and Mac world)

:)

arn

thomasp
Apr 18, 2006, 04:34 AM
Is there any way to limit the amount of pictures displayed on the forum during the keynote?

For example, for all users (or maybe even just guests), turn avatars and attachment thumbnails off, and maybe go to text-only links for the Quote/Edit/Post new Thread/Post Reply buttons?

Or would that not make much difference on the server load?

Knox
Apr 18, 2006, 05:07 AM
Is there any way to limit the amount of pictures displayed on the forum during the keynote?

For example, for all users (or maybe even just guests), turn avatars and attachment thumbnails off, and maybe go to text-only links for the Quote/Edit/Post new Thread/Post Reply buttons?

Or would that not make much difference on the server load?

There are some plans in relation to that. Some of the images won't make a huge difference (although every little bit counts when you're talking about this sort of level of traffic so we will still do something with them) but avatars in particular are one thing I've been looking at.

Counterfit
Apr 18, 2006, 10:44 AM
I fear it will take a lot of hardware to handle WWDC this year. I think all eyes will be on Apple then. (PC and Mac world)

:)

arn
Well, CNN has been using MacRumors as a source for a while now. Perhaps they can provide some help. :D

EricNau
Apr 19, 2006, 12:19 AM
What is MacRumors' sever specs/setup? ...or is this a closely guarded secret?

RBMaraman
Apr 19, 2006, 08:39 AM
I have a suggestion that I'm sure will be unpopular, but I'll say it anyway:

Take down the forums 4 hours prior to the keynote, during the keynote, and for 4 hours after the keynote. Possibly allow access only to Demi's/Contributors during that time period. Use the lowbandwith version of the site with that awesome coverage system Knox made during those hours to display updates, important information, etc.

If the forums are up, it'll just be like coverage of any other event. 200+ posts asking simple questions that can easily be answered by taking 5 minutes to browse Apple's site, 200+ posts ranting about how stupid the new product(s) is/are, and so on... Maybe taking down the forums for the greater part of the day will eliminate the many pointless threads that end up in the wasteland. Allowing access to only Demi's/Contributor will allow topics with important questions/issues to be raised and discussed before tons of posts asking the same questions can be made.

Just my $.02