PDA

View Full Version : help with ibook g3

macmancan
Apr 17, 2006, 06:41 PM
sometimes when I turn on my computer there are lines crossing vertically. when the lines are not ther the computer works fine. Help me please.

Leareth
Apr 17, 2006, 06:53 PM
Sound like your monitor and logic board cable connection is messed up.
or your logic board is dying a slow death. I have had both happen with my g3 ibooks on the outside looked the same but they were two separate problems.
Your logic board should still be covered by the apple logic board repair program, pop by an apple reseller or apple store and see what they say.

macmancan
Apr 17, 2006, 07:06 PM
how much would it cost to get a new logic board

livingfortoday
Apr 17, 2006, 07:41 PM
how much would it cost to get a new logic board

If it's covered by the repair program, it will be free to replace.

WildCowboy
Apr 17, 2006, 07:45 PM
If it's covered by the repair program, it will be free to replace.

Didn't that program end a year ago?

Leareth
Apr 17, 2006, 08:20 PM
The G3 Logic board program is still on. Its not listed on the apple website but...
Had one of my neighbours replace hers two weeks ago for free.
Logic boards are pretty pricey, last time I saw the g3 ones going for $:cool: 700CDN , might as well add 300 bucks and get a brand new one.

WildCowboy
Apr 17, 2006, 08:23 PM
The G3 Logic board program is still on. Its not listed on the apple website but...
Had one of my neighbours replace hers two weeks ago for free.

Hmmm...found the link (http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/) on Apple's site. It's right on their Support page...off to the right side with the other recall programs.

"The program covers affected iBooks for three years after the first retail sale of the unit or until March 18, 2005, whichever provides longer coverage for you."

I can't imagine there are many included iBooks out there that are still within three years of their first retail sale.

Interesting.

Edit: Never mind...I see that it includes machines manufactured through October 2003, so there are still some out there.