PDA

View Full Version : How long before the need arises to upgrade from G4 laptop to Intel?




kntgsp
Apr 17, 2006, 06:42 PM
So I returned a Macbook Pro due to noise problems and audio problems, and after reading all the garboldygook about problem here, problem there, I've decided I'll hold off on the Intel transition.

So here's the question. If I get a 12" PB Rev D, how long do you think it'd be acceptable to use before I would need to switch to Intel Macs? Would it be any longer if I bought a 17" PB Rev D?

I've been looking around and I see quite a few 17" PB Rev D's for 2 thousand or less, and 12" PB Rev D's for close to 1 thousand.

Just curious on thoughts.

I'm a college student, soon to be graduate student (hopefully). All I really use my computer for is iTunes, Word, Web, Email, Blog, and some casual Photoshop CS2.

Thoughts?



disconap
Apr 17, 2006, 07:38 PM
As with any computer, you don't really need to upgrade or replace until it won't do what you want it to anymore. So I'd say you can safely wait at least a year or two, likely a lot longer than that (remember, a lot of us still run G3s and older machines)...

EDITED TO ADD: I really see no reason to buy an Intel right now for your needs, as I run all of that on my G4 biook with no problem (see specs in sig).

kntgsp
Apr 17, 2006, 07:52 PM
As with any computer, you don't really need to upgrade or replace until it won't do what you want it to anymore. So I'd say you can safely wait at least a year or two, likely a lot longer than that (remember, a lot of us still run G3s and older machines)...

EDITED TO ADD: I really see no reason to buy an Intel right now for your needs, as I run all of that on my G4 biook with no problem (see specs in sig).


Right, but I'm just more worried about not being able to run newer programs, etc, as PPC binary isn't supported as much. Are newer programs going to be Intel compatible only, with no Universal? (Those sold by 3rd party, not Apple).

I realize Apple will support all their major programs as universal binary for at least 3 to 4 years, but I'm just a bit more worried about newer versions of office, or other stuff I may have to run.

GimmeSlack12
Apr 17, 2006, 07:57 PM
I say around the beginning of 2008 you'll need to really be thinking of upgrading from the G4. Shouldn't be any problems with software until around then.

I went with my B/W G3 from 1999 to 2005, so possibly you can make it to 2010 with your PB. It's up to you.

zelmo
Apr 17, 2006, 08:07 PM
As much as I'm looking forward to buying a new Apple laptop, my current one, a 15" 1.33 PowerBook, serves me quite well <looks over shoulder to see if wife is reading this>;)
If, for some reason, Adobe stops supporting PPC with future revisions, my current copy of CS2 will still work just fine, right?
I'm not worried about Apple s/w at all. I think they know they'll need to support PPC through at least 10.6 or even 10.7. I mean, how many years after OS X was released did they still permit OS 9 to run?
I think you could survive for a good 4-5 years on a new G4 unless your computing needs significantly change <looks back at wife again, relaxes when seeing she has her nose in a trashy romance novel.....sniffs armpits knowingly ;) >