Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shakespeare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2002
Portland, Maine
I've seen tips scattered about on this topic, but I'm a little wary of putting them all together by myself, so I thought we could consolidate them into one thread.

What things should a conscientious Mac user do to keep his OS X system running smoothly and snappily?

Anything we shouldn't install? Anything we should install? Any maintenance tasks we need to run periodically? Any files we need to clear out? Anything else?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Unlike Windows, where you need to clean out the temp directories, I've found very little other than repairing permissions that needs to be done.

De-fragmenting the boot drive may help but I couldn't suggest a utility--don't use Norton Speedisk, though.

Of course, plenty of memory and a quick hard drive keeps Mac OS X happy.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Re: How to keep it smooth and snappy?

Originally posted by shakespeare
What things should a conscientious Mac user do to keep his OS X system running smoothly and snappily?

Anything we shouldn't install? Anything we should install? Any maintenance tasks we need to run periodically? Any files we need to clear out? Anything else?

What machine is it on?

shakespeare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2002
Portland, Maine
Re: Re: How to keep it smooth and snappy?

Originally posted by neonart

What machine is it on?

A PowerBook G4, 400 mHz, 512 mB RAM.

There's really not much one can do? It always seems to me that after a reinstall the machine is much quicker, and that it deteriorates in speed, until it sort of plateaus. I was wondering if this is because I'm doing something wrong with my machine.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
no, your not doing anything wrong. it happens on all os's. the os is loaded and runs fast, then the preferences start to be created as you run apps etc and you put files on their. once you have run all the apps your going to for a bit, repair permissions and enjoy.

not much else. also windows' speed just keeps getting slower with temp files etc - not so with mac and safari :)

shakespeare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2002
Portland, Maine
All right, cool. I thought this was going to be more complicated, but I guess I can relax, knowing that it's normal.

I think I'll go repair the permissions now!

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Originally posted by bousozoku
Unlike Windows, where you need to clean out the temp directories, I've found very little other than repairing permissions that needs to be done.

De-fragmenting the boot drive may help but I couldn't suggest a utility--don't use Norton Speedisk, though.

Of course, plenty of memory and a quick hard drive keeps Mac OS X happy.

What is wrong with Norton's Speed disk ?:confused:

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Plain and simple never ever install Norton unless they finally come out with a OSX specific version. The current one does a lot of harm when installed.

Repair Permissions regularly.
Use Mac Janitor to run the nightly, weekly, and monthly system cleanup tasks.
Reinstall the system if there have been several system updates.

I just learned the last recently. After each 10.2.x update my system seemed just a tad slower. Probably not noticeable to the average user. Well I finally got fed up (Norton sped things along by causing problems.) and did a fresh install and updated directly to 10.2.3. My system is just like it was the day it showed up back in August now.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by xrhajj

What is wrong with Norton's Speed disk ?:confused:

It was not directly created to work with OSX simply modified to work with it. It often corrects files that don't need correcting and in turn damages files that are critical to OSX's system operations. Simply installing Norton System Works or Utilities modifies the System Kernel and damages the operation of the system. The effects of the kernel operation aren't immediately noticeable but a few months down the road when you are having to repair permissions multiple times a day and your CD and DVD burners aren't working you will then curse the Symatec name with meaning.

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Originally posted by MacBandit
Plain and simple never ever install Norton unless they finally come out with a OSX specific version. The current one does a lot of harm when installed.

Repair Permissions regularly.
Use Mac Janitor to run the nightly, weekly, and monthly system cleanup tasks.
Reinstall the system if there have been several system updates.

I just learned the last recently. After each 10.2.x update my system seemed just a tad slower. Probably not noticeable to the average user. Well I finally got fed up (Norton sped things along by causing problems.) and did a fresh install and updated directly to 10.2.3. My system is just like it was the day it showed up back in August now.

I have never had any problems with Norton’s Speed disk!!

What kind of problems are you having?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by xrhajj

I have never had any problems with Norton’s Speed disk!!

What kind of problems are you having?

I described them already. I don't have them anymore with a fresh install riding myself of the Norton modified kernel.

If you are using Norton installed into OS9 you may not notice a problem but if you try installing it in OSX you will have problems eventually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.