Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I am curious how the new 1gig PM compares performance wise against the dual 867? Also, will it be much faster than an 867PB? Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: How does the new 1g PM stack up against dual 867PM?

Originally posted by nospleen
I am curious how the new 1gig PM compares performance wise against the dual 867? Also, will it be much faster than an 867PB? Thanks for helping a newbie out!
I'd say keep the Dual 867 if all you're considering is a single cpu 1GHz. It will be faster in most things. (If not all.)

As for 867MHz PowerBook vs. a 1GHz PowerMac, the PowerMac will be faster due to the faster disks. as well as the speed improvement on the CPU and memory subsystem.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
To be honest, it will be slower than the dual 867....
If you could buy the single 1 GHz, then you also could buy the dual 867. They're about the same price at a local dealer here. Gotta hurry though, cause they wiil be sold out quickly!
Mind you, the new 1 GHz is alot quieter, so if noise is an issue....

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Dual all the way!

Most people will use dual processors more than a single slightly faster processor.
How often are you cunching 1, 500MB file in PS? But how often are you running iChat, Mail, PS, AI, and Toast at once?
I find I run multiple apps at once more than I use 1 app for heavy tasks. Multi processors and alot of ram are the ticket!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well guys, my mom just brought home a new gig from our store. if you guys would like i could do a xbench 1.0 benchmark. just let me know.

iJon

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Originally posted by iJon
well guys, my mom just brought home a new gig from our store. if you guys would like i could do a xbench 1.0 benchmark. just let me know.

iJon

Yes PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

trose

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2002
phew

As much as I love to see Apple do better,I was sorta releived when they came out with the single 1ghz as the new bottom line,didnt exactly make my Dual 867 old tech after owning it for a month. Im actualy VERY glad I bought it when I did and didnt wait for the update like people told me. I do quite a bit of Photoshop and video work+ I have alot of apps runnings sometimes and the dual procs are nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.