Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Hi guys,

I would like to buy a wireless mouse and keyboard, so i can run my 12in powerbook in clamshell mode connected to an external display.

I was looking at the Apple branded ones, but have a couple of issues:

- apparently there is a delay when imputting data/mousing (this is a big issue)
- buying both would cost me £80 (about $140), which seems a little steep, (i could stretch to them though).
- i use airport, and have read that blutooth KB's and mice affect airport.
- i tried a wired apple keyboard out in the apple store, and it didn't feel as nice as my powerbooks keyboard

However, i do really like the design of the apple branded ones, which is again important as im going to use the mac connected to my LCD TV in the living room.

Does anyone have any experience with the apple branded keyboard and mouse? Or recommend any other mice/keyboards?

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
The Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse are both what I'd term 'unique' input devices. They're neither the best or the worst input devices out there, but they're certainly 'different'.

There is sometimes a delay when inputting characters on the keyboard, yes. It's bearable, though perhaps less so if you were writing a massive report. I've never experienced a delay with the mouse.

Sure they're not cheap. Nothing Apple is cheap.

My Mac mini has integrated BT & Airport. Airport reception copes fine, it was just the early Intel mini's AFAIK that experienced problems and that was, I believe, corrected in a software update.

Laptop keyboards are pretty much completely different from desktop ones - if it felt the same I'd be worried ;)

You'll get used to it. I flit between my superior Microsoft keyboard and mouse and the Apple ones and have adjusted well. The Apple kit certainly looks the part - it'd ruin my setup to have anything else.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
miniConvert said:
My Mac mini has integrated BT & Airport. Airport reception copes fine, it was just the early Intel mini's AFAIK that experienced problems and that was, I believe, corrected in a software update.

You'll get used to it. I flit between my superior Microsoft keyboard and mouse and the Apple ones and have adjusted well

thanks for the quick reply, my concern is that i read (in Macworld magazine) that the blutooth signal from the KB/Mouse can sometimes affect your wireless signal, which would be problematic for me.

What about battery life, how long do the batteries last in the KB/mouse before needing to be replaced?

Also, could you suggest any alternatives to the apple models?

adam-uk

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2005
England, UK
student_trap said:
thanks for the quick reply, my concern is that i read (in Macworld magazine) that the blutooth signal from the KB/Mouse can sometimes affect your wireless signal, which would be problematic for me.

What about battery life, how long do the batteries last in the KB/mouse before needing to be replaced?

Also, could you suggest any alternatives to the apple models?

Well. In terms of the Airport / Bluetooth thing, I've never had any problems with my Bluetooth Apple keyboard and my Airport connection...I am however using an iMac, and I've heard powerbooks have airport signal issues regardless of bluetooth interference.

But I've never owned a mac laptop, so as long as your signal is fine know, I'm unaware why a bluetooth keyboard like mine would cause issues.

Battery wise, im yet to change the batteries in my keyboard. I have had it turned on for 5 months now, and no delay issues at all (except for dreamweaver sometimes, but thats with all keyboards).

I don't, however, have a wireless mouse. My might mouse is what i need, 2 buttons and scroll ball, so until a bluetooth version comes out I'm wired up!

Synapple

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2004
Rome, Italy
I use an apple BT keyboard and mouse setup with my mac mini and I can positively say it never affected my airport signal.

As far as usability goes, I am very satisfied with my keyboard's performance. I was using an apple wired one before so I cannot comment on how much it differs from other keyboards. It will certainly feel different from your powerbook but, as a previous poster stated, that is to be expected. I hear the powerbook keyboard has an awesome feel to it, though.

As for the mouse, I find it a little heavy for my liking and I do encounter slight problems here and there with the pointer. I find it especially hard to use when you need very precise pointing. As an example, just yesterday I was editing something in garageband and couldn't reach the exact point I needed to in the timeline. I ended up doing it fine, obviously, but it took me much more effort I would expect.

Batteries are alright on both the keyboard and mouse.

I'll shut up now. :p

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
I don't have the BT keyboard.... yet.
when I do get one it will most definately be an Apple one.

I use the Apple BT mouse, and absolutely love it.
It takes a litte while to get used to the extra weight. (its a bit heavier than non BT mouse).
My only gripe is that it doesn't have a scroll ball/wheel.

I love the idea of a one button mouse, simply because I'm a leftie, and the whole idea of left/right clicking confuses me.
Especially if I've configured the mouse for a leftie.

Like other posters have already said, there probably are better products available, but there is nothing wrong with the Apple offerings.

i would definately recommend.

xav1379

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
London, UK
So basically, there is a pent-up demand for two-button bluetooth Apple mouse.

Why can't Apple produce them? Is it that complicated?

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
xav1379 said:
So basically, there is a pent-up demand for two-button bluetooth Apple mouse.

Why can't Apple produce them? Is it that complicated?
I think it's more to do with it not being 'the Apple way'. They've tried to make something more powerful with the Mighty Mouse. They've failed, but they've tried.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
Why would you say the mighty is a failure? I was a bit scpetical of it at first, so I got one for a friend of mine and he is very happy with it (I get someone to try out new tech and I seem giving at the same time... win win all around!)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I have a BT Apple keyboard and mouse.

Don't have any issues with Airport and Bluetooth.

Sometimes there are slight delays, but the trick is to use good batteries and replace them often (or get a GOOD pair of rechargeables).
The mouse batteries last 1-2 months and the keyboard can last above 6 months.

If I'm having problems (jerky movements, lagging, etc.) a restart will usually fix the problem (if not, I change the batteries).

Hope that helps

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Surprised this isn't mentioned yet..logitech s 530. A couple people on here have had problems with thiers but I really actually love mine. It's RF, not bluetooth, which is unfortunate but still works well. And it matches any Mac.

It's $99 and comes with wireless mouse and keyboard, but for the mouse you need to be a righty or else you'll be killing yourself. Link

Steve

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Steve1496 said:
Surprised this isn't mentioned yet..logitech s 530. A couple people on here have had problems with thiers but I really actually love mine. It's RF, not bluetooth, which is unfortunate but still works well. And it matches any Mac.

It's $99 and comes with wireless mouse and keyboard, but for the mouse you need to be a righty or else you'll be killing yourself. Link

Steve

thanks this sounds pretty interesting. A couple of questions though, could i run my powerbook in clamshell mode with this keyboard/mouse? Also, what sort of range does it have, as my living room is quite large (i think about 15' long)

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
student_trap said:
thanks this sounds pretty interesting. A couple of questions though, could i run my powerbook in clamshell mode with this keyboard/mouse? Also, what sort of range does it have, as my living room is quite large (i think about 15' long)

Should work as long as your powerbook isn't sleeping (obviously). I'm not sure about the range because I just use it at a desk...but I'm betting it could go pretty far as long as theres a good line of sight.

Steve

adam-uk

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2005
England, UK
miniConvert said:
I think it's more to do with it not being 'the Apple way'. They've tried to make something more powerful with the Mighty Mouse. They've failed, but they've tried.

I wouldnt say the mighty mouse is a failure at all. being a windows convert, ive come to love it. I doubt i could have done the command click all the time. Plus the use of scroll ball, do you not use desktop publishers and websites?!!

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Steve1496 said:
Should work as long as your powerbook isn't sleeping (obviously)

basically, i want my powerbook to run permanently in clamshell mode connected to an lcd telly via a VGA connection. the powerbook will go to sleep from time to time, so could the bluetooth apple mouse/keyboard wake it while its in clamshell mode?

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
student_trap said:
basically, i want my powerbook to run permanently in clamshell mode connected to an lcd telly via a VGA connection. the powerbook will go to sleep from time to time, so could the bluetooth apple mouse/keyboard wake it while its in clamshell mode?

Yeah, you just need to turn off automatic sleep when the lid is shut.

Steve

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
miniConvert said:

It was a hardware problem, 10.4.6 improved it very slightly but didn't come anywhere close to fixing it. I think both airport and bluetooth are supposed to be somewhat better in newer builds.

And I LOVE the mighty mouse, although it's too expensive to buy on its own. I wish I had it on all my macs and pc's, I miss the trackball button.

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
I'm using A BT apple keyboard with my iMac, and I experience NO delays. Works perfectly. I use a logitec MXlaser mouse because I can't have a one button mouse.

I went from (in my opinion) the best wireless desktop (dinovio by logitec) to the apple keyboard, and though it took a bit getting used to, all around I think it feels much better. And it's about half the price! I would absolutly reccomend the BT Keyboard, can't really say as much for the BT mouse.

gog

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
Jobs' kitchen cupboard.
Re the airport issue, here's the web blurb from my reseller:

"Apple is the first to deliver intelligent software to prevent interference with Airport wireless networks without any performance degradation."
So maybe this is simply an old issue / a problem for non-macs?

I am about to do the same thing as you for my 12" PB. Hook up a 20" apple display & get a BT mouse and keyboard. Instead of keeping your PB in clamshell mode, however, why don't you get an iCurve and sit them side by side using screen spanning? That is what I'm planning to do because it looks very styly and adds function.

PS - the PB has the best keyboard, i totally agree.

Edit: aah, i see - living room eh? that makes the iCurve option less attractive i guess.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
ok guys, so last night i went to the apple store and bought a the BT KB and mouse, here are my initial thoughts:

build:

both the keyboard and mouse seem to be really well built, the keyboard is heavy, which i like, while i personally found the mouse to be quite light, lighter than other BT mice ive used anyway. both the KB and mouse feel really sturdy, although the battery compartments on both seem a little
flimsy, the rest of them feels like it could withstand heavy use. The keys on the keyboard take some getting used to when coming from using laptop kB's, but feel nice when pressed, while the mouse has an adjustable tension switch for those with a lighter or firmer click.

Ease of use/response:

Pairing all of the devices was super easy, and took less than 15 seconds each to pair. I can rule out any claims that the keyboard lags, and that the mouse is not responsive as both of mine are extremely responsive. Both connect automatically at startup, and work with an external monitor in clamshell mode with ease. my KB lost connection once (when it was about 4m away from my powerbook) but then found itself again (is this normal?), whereas the mouse was always present, the keyboard also had me spelllllllling llllllike ttttthhhiis, but im sure that that is me not being used to the KB rather than a fault of any kind. When using fast user switching i had a couple of problems with the KB and Mouse dropping their connection for each new user, bhut i will test this further as i use them more. The only other problem was that if you wanted to log out of one user, and then log in as another, sometimes the mouse and my powerbooks trackpad would freeze, leaving me to restart my powerbook. (again, is this normal?)

Design:

As you would expect, both are really well designed with typical apple tyle. I can see the white keyboard getting dirty, but that doesn't bother me and you could clean it if you wished. with the mouse, i found that it wouldn't track so well on fabric as my wired logitech notebook mouse, but this isn't a huge deal, and of course, the lack of a scroll wheel/second button. Personally, i really don't mind these omissions to the mouse, and in fact quite like them, it akes the mouse very simple, and if your using the keyboard as well (as i do...i just have to use keyboard shortcuts), then you can use the arrows to scroll.

Conclusion:

I am very pleased. Despite being fairly expensive, they are simple to use and easy to set up. They are really responsive, not lagging at all, and staying connected pretty much all the time! I would indeed recommend them to any mac user, especially to those whose macs have built in bluetooth, as i suspect that this makes the whole process easier!

Final thought: My internet seemed to be slower on a couple of sites when using the bT KB and mouse, specifically youtube.com and ebaumsworld.com could anyone with a wireless connection and BT KB and mouse test this and post back?

Thankyou for all of your imput so far, it was very helpful indeed

gog

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
Jobs' kitchen cupboard.
Thanks for that helpful little review.
Adds more weight to my decision to do the same. Extra price, but it would disturb my sense of asthetics having some non apple design in my setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.