Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
okay, so i'm a technology major... about to graduate... and get this, i don't own an ipod. even all my computer illiterate friends have them. i've wanted one since they first came out, but i just didn't have the money. well, i believe i'll soon have the money for one because today is my birthday (and i've received some birthday money) and because of tax returns.

so... my question is: do i buy a video ipod soon? like, the 30 or 60 gig models? if i do, which of the two would you recommend? i'd rather have the 60 gig for obvious reasons, but that'd take a bit more saving. the second part to my quesion, is do i wait a little while for the new rumored true video ipods to come out? so yeah, now? or later?

i'd rather have one sooner than later... but i don't want to make the mistake of purchasing one JUST before the new models come out.

any feedback would be appreciated!

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
as it's your birthday - why didn't you go and buy the 30GB Black 5G iPod (seeing as you have the money n all)..

and you can always play the waiting game, but you'll end up with nothing.. EVER.. because you'll always be waiting for better and newer things to come out..

if you have the money, buy it now.. if (and when) a newer model comes out, you can sell what you had and buy the new one.. and enjoy what you had for all thos months/years instead of "waiting" :)

ps: it's not the video iPod.. it's an iPod capable of playing video

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
the current models are superb, so don't be put off buying one, also, i'm hoping that a 40gig version will come out with the 30gig's dimensions as 30gigs just isn't enough fpr me and the 60gig is too large physically. I think that we may even see a capacity upgrade before the rumored touchscreen video ipod. But then again, i am only guessing.

In terms of size, it depends on what you prefer: size or capacity

Once you know that, then you can pick either 30 or 60. As i have already said, i'd go for the 30 due to its size.

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
I concur. I recently upgraded to a 60GB iPod with video and I have no regrets. It's an amazing little player!!! Although I don't find the 60GB to be that big, not for the amount of storage you get. But if you have the money already and your library isn't > 30GB go ahead and get the 30GB because it is smaller and you can start enjoying it right away!

And if a widescreen, bluetooth iPod with built in toaster comes out next week oh well, the iPod you get will still function perfectly, and you'll also have the benefit of proven technology at it's peak of performance, instead of untested new technology that might not work as well.

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
thanks for the responses so far.

i didn't realize the 60 gig was bigger than the 30 gig. my roommate has the 30 gig and it's sweet.

as far as my library goes, i have a little under 20 gig of music. my only concern is if i went with the 30, i wouldn't have much room to play with, especially since they can play video now.

hmm... i'm still not sure if i want to wait or not. i didn't wait when i ordered my 17" powerbook... and just a few weeks later they announced the macbook pros.

(btw, buying an ipod today for my birthday would be the coolest. lol)

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
I have the 60GB and I have no problems with the size. It's bigger than the 30GB no doubt, but it's not a giant or anything. Well worth it too when you look at the battery life like BornAgainMac mentioned.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
billchase2 said:
how much larger is it in size? is it quite noticable? or not bad?
it's "noticable" but it's not like "wow which one is which, i have no clue!" If you study them or compare them, you will notice a size difference. Regardless, the 60GB model is still thinner than the 4th generation 20GB iPod, which is the common man's iPod and is recognized as still rather thin. If you have the money, need the space, want better battery life but don't mind that there iPod isn't the slimmest one out there then i would reccommend the 60GB.

Beware that the 60GB does indeed has 6 hours more battery life according to Apple than the 30GB model, which is a very large amount. If you want more video playback, the 60GB model will also increase that ability by 1 full hour (4 hours total).

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
Well, if you prefer to have closed caption or subtitle, I'd wait if I were you. I know it's hard....That's why I never own iPod yet.. I'm waiting for my true iPod. :)

ehayut

Suspended
Jun 29, 2005
Go for it man.

You can't always wait for new technology. Yes, a newer iPod will come out eventually, but if you base your decision on "oh, a new iPod will come out at some point" you'll spend your whole life waiting

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
cool. i may just bite the bullet and order one in the next week or two. probably the 60 gig.

i'll use froogle to find a good price... but does anyone know of a cheap place to get one from offhand?

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Do it, do it! I have the 30 gig and I love it. Don't think about it any more, just go and do it.
Oh, and happy birthday. Mine was on Sunday.

luckylisp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2006
NY state
Definitely get it now, the video iPods are awesome. I have the 30 gig and wonder why I waited so long. Pretty much the only reason to wait for a full screen video one (that is if they indeed do come out, who even knows) is if you mainly want your iPod for watching videos. If you want it mainly for music, (which I think most people do) just get it now. You won't regret it.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
I've been waiting too, wondering what the next ipod will be but I already have two so I ain't sufferin' too much:D
You could get one of the refurbed models at the apple site, hedge your bets;)
I'm gonna get the mini for now,peace and happy b'day:)
daniel

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
billchase2 said:
cool. i may just bite the bullet and order one in the next week or two. probably the 60 gig.

i'll use froogle to find a good price... but does anyone know of a cheap place to get one from offhand?

get it from the apple store online with education discount while you are still a student

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
billchase2 said:
wow, why is the battery life SO much better with the 60 gig model??

The battery life is better because the 60GB hard drive is thicker than the 30GB and thus the entire iPod must be thickened unless you want a little lump.. so Apple decided to slap in a larger battery with all that room to spare.

mannix87

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2005
in the southeast
just buy it and you won't regret it. just a warning though, be prepared to lose several weeks of your life tinkering w/ it and its amazing functions. the DVD ripping and conversion takes a bit of time, same with the video downloads from iTMS, google video and a host of other podcast sites.

HugMnster

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2006
Tyler, Tx
viccles said:
Buy it! I waited out long enough now mine will be here tomorrow :D (hopefully!)

I just got my 60 gig video ipod monday an love it so far. Not watch much video on it but one video podcast. ripped a music video an convert to ipod format to watch later on. Plan to put few more videos on there for camping trip next week.

jack

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
HugMnster said:
I just got my 60 gig video ipod monday an love it so far. Not watch much video on it but one video podcast. ripped a music video an convert to ipod format to watch later on. Plan to put few more videos on there for camping trip next week.

jack

I have plans to rip a couple of DVDs I have and try and find some music videos to download. All I have to do is find a tutorial on here and learn how :D

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
viccles said:
I have plans to rip a couple of DVDs I have and try and find some music videos to download. All I have to do is find a tutorial on here and learn how :D

1.Mac the Ripper
2.Handbrake
3.iSquint

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.