PDA

View Full Version : MacBook -- support display spanning, or be 'crippled' like iBooks?

Matt*
Apr 18, 2006, 04:37 PM
In Brief:
iBooks can currently only mirror the desktop on a larger screen, not extend their desktop. The logic behind this being that it should be a feature reserved for the 'professional' laptops. Do you think the MacBooks will also have this limitation?

Background Info:
After using a 12'' iBook screen for two and a half years, I think I'm starting to really crave some more screen real estate. Now, I have about 1400 ($2000) to spend on a new system, and I need a portable. I'd love to be able to buy a 20'' display to go with it, but I can only afford that if I get a MacBook, and in any case.. the MacBook would have to be able to drive the display at its native resolution, otherwise what would be the point?

As an aside, do you think the MacBook Pro's screen is big enough for everyday use? I can't really see how the increase in screen resolution would be big enough to be useful. If you have a MBP, can you have a Word window and a Safari window both visible at the same time and still be large enough to be usuable?

In another thread, somebody mentioned that they thought the limitation would be removed, as the iMac also used to be limited to display spanning but now, with the intel iMacs, isn't.

Thoughts, opinions and two cents are very much appreciated!

(P.S. I know there's software available to 'correct' the limitation on the iBook, but there's no guarantee someone will be able to do the same for the MacBook, and I wouldn't like to make a purchase on the assumption that someone would).

MistaBungle
Apr 18, 2006, 04:44 PM
Since the new Macbook is supposed to be replacing the 12" PB, it would make sense that it offers the same options and the 12" PB is able to do dual-monitors.

In terms of fitting applications on a screen, expose is your best friend! I find myself reaching for my expose button on my PC mouse and I get disappointed everytime.

Paragon
Apr 18, 2006, 06:26 PM
Most of the people who will be purchasing the MacBook won't be the sort of person who will be 'using two screens';

Think about how many people you know who use multi-screen setups, then think about whether they are 'your every day computer user' or a professional who needs the setup (who would possibly go for the MBP?)

There are obviously going to be exceptions (maybe budget, maybe they don't need the MBP specs, maybe they just plain like the MB :D), but many people are still blown away by the fact that I use more than one screen at once.

Just a thought :p

Matt*
Apr 18, 2006, 07:01 PM
I see what you're saying, but these are 13.3'' screens! Regardless of pro users, surely an everyday user is going to want to be able to hook it up to a larger screen?

Paragon
Apr 18, 2006, 07:19 PM
Possibly :)

From personal experience, though, people are happy with using the screen on the laptop. It'd be a nice addition (to cater for those who use the feature) but, it does seem to be one of those features that only some people will find useful rather than just 'a nifty techno-trick' :P

I'm guessing that Apple have noticed that the main audience for the machine uses a single screen, and went with that as a standard in that field? I'm not sure on how much additions like that would cost to incorporate, but it's pennies in-pocket :D

Matt*
Apr 18, 2006, 07:23 PM
As far as I know, it shouldn't cost them anything. Even Intel's integrated graphics (GMA950) supports it, I believe. The issue is whether they'd enable it or reserve it for the Pro laptops.

dmw007
Apr 18, 2006, 07:32 PM
I think that Apple will allow the MacBook to support display spanning.

Hopefully they do anyways.... :)