PDA

View Full Version : Counterfeit iPod Nanos and Shuffles Appear

MacRumors
Apr 18, 2006, 10:55 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

With the rapidly rising (http://guides.macrumors.com/Image:IPods_Sold.png) popularity of the Apple iPod, imitators are trying to cash in on the phenomenon.

They've gone so far as to create counterfeit iPods (photos) (http://www.ipodgear.com/2006/04/counterfeit-apple-ipod-nanos-and-shuffles.php). These iPods look-alikes are similar to the Apple iPod and can even be labeled with Apple serial numbers. Both counterfeit iPod nanos and iPod shuffles have been spotted. Both products share a general resemblance to the original products, but have some key differences:

The counterfeit iPod nano has a non-standard headphone jack located on the lower-right and has no dock connector. Meanwhile, the counterfeit shuffle comes in a convincing box but has the words "Digital Music Player" on the top, which the original does not. Other differences in the shuffle are the lack of a repeat setting on the switch and no battery light or status button.

Apple, of course, does not provide service for these imitation iPods, and claims they are taking these matters seriously and are investigating these devices.

~Shard~
Apr 18, 2006, 10:59 PM
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! ;) :D

I don't blame the people doing this though - it's a hell of a way to cash in on the iPod phenomenon, where every Joe and his dog appear to be buying them, and many people are not necessarily "smart shoppers' when it comes to making sure they're buying from a reputable place, etc.

As with many other things, a fool and his money are soon parted... :cool:

mcarnes
Apr 18, 2006, 11:03 PM
Wow. Kind of like Vista. :p

JonHimself
Apr 18, 2006, 11:03 PM
Apple, of course, does not provide service for these imitation iPods, and claims they are taking these matters seriously and are investigating these devices.

That makes me laugh. I can just imagine the look on someone's face who doesn't know they bought (or better, received as a gift) a counterfeit and tried to get it serviced?

bluebomberman
Apr 18, 2006, 11:04 PM
What do you do with a counterfeit iPod without a dock connector? Paperweight? Foosball? Pez dispenser?

Shananra
Apr 18, 2006, 11:07 PM
All its missing is the windoze logo.

~Shard~
Apr 18, 2006, 11:07 PM
What do you do with a counterfeit iPod without a dock connector? Paperweight? Foosball? Pez dispenser?

My guess is to use it as an expensive paperweight which makes you feel stupid every time you look at it. Perhaps their counterfeiters should laser-etch, "There's one born every minute" on the back of their iPods... :p :cool:

mongoos150
Apr 18, 2006, 11:08 PM
How freaking sad.

~Shard~
Apr 18, 2006, 11:08 PM
The counterfeiters should market these as the "yPod" or the "liePod", manufactured by "crApple" - that would be sweet... :D

puckhead193
Apr 18, 2006, 11:11 PM
i want one of those "nano" its sweet! :rolleyes:

bluebomberman
Apr 18, 2006, 11:13 PM
My guess is to use it as an expensive paperweight which makes you feel stupid every time you look at it. Perhaps their counterfeiters should laser- etch, "There's one born every minute" on the back of their iPods... :p :cool:

Actually, come to think of it, iPod mini shells would make really cool paperweights.:p

MacFan782040
Do they actually play music? Or are they just a plastic case that looks real?

jer2eydevil88
Interesting.... Now this sucks for Apple and they should take this totally seriously! If however these fake iPods come up correctly iTunes most people would never know the difference, until they took it into an Apple store for repairs.

.:: Edit ::.
On second thought the interface is a dead giveaway for anyone who is even slightly aware of Apple products (As in having seen one used or used one themselves).
http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/3162/nanoc5eb.jpg

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8823/nano27dd.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting (http://imageshack.us)

MacRumoron
Apr 18, 2006, 11:14 PM
That makes me laugh. I can just imagine the look on someone's face who doesn't know they bought (or better, received as a gift) a counterfeit and tried to get it serviced?

imagine them buying an iPod Hi-Fi to go with their new "iPod" and trying to get it to work :D

~Shard~
Apr 18, 2006, 11:15 PM
Actually, come to think of it, iPod mini shells would make really cool paperweights.:p

Yeah, they probably would! Hmm, you and I should start up our own company which salvages old/broken iPod minis and resells the cases as paperweights... Cool, we'll be millionaires... :cool:

iShane
Apr 18, 2006, 11:16 PM
Wow. Kind of like Vista. :p

Haha. Pretty much. :D

bluebomberman
Apr 18, 2006, 11:22 PM

Yeah, they probably would! Hmm, you and I should start up our own company which salvages old/broken iPod minis and resells the cases as paperweights... Cool, we'll be millionaires...:cool:

Nah, you wouldn't want me as your business partner. I'm enrolling in a graduate fiction writing program next year.:o

I'd like to know where one can get these counterfeits. Should I be wary next time I walk into Best Buy?

nagromme
Apr 18, 2006, 11:22 PM
The moral of the story is ONLY buy name-brand products from TRUSTED vans, sacks, and carts.

~Shard~
Apr 18, 2006, 11:25 PM
Nah, you wouldn't want me as your business partner. I'm enrolling in a graduate fiction writing program next year.:o

I'd like to know where one can get these counterfeits. Should I be wary next time I walk into Best Buy?

I think major chains such as Best Buy would do their due diligence and QC on something like this, so I don't think you'd have anything to worry about.

As for a business partner, I may be an Engineer and Project Manager and have that business savvy, however I also like to write screenplays in my spare time, so who knows, perhaps we'd have more in common than you might think! ;) :D

The moral of the story is ONLY buy name-brand products from TRUSTED vans, sacks, and carts.

Exactly. When will people learn?

It's people like these counterfeiters who are giving the rest of the black market dealers a bad name, damn them... :mad:

ColdFlame87
Apr 18, 2006, 11:29 PM
I too wonder if they work? I mean it would be pretty cool to check it out, i would pay about 10 dollars for one of those just to see how it works :p

iProd
Apr 18, 2006, 11:30 PM

Blue boxes :D

bluebomberman
Apr 18, 2006, 11:31 PM
I think major chains such as Best Buy would do their due diligence and QC on something like this, so I don't think you'd have anything to worry about.

Maybe I should swing by the sketchy electronics shops along 5th Avenue that prey on tourists and ignorant people. ;)

As for a business partner, I may be an Engineer and Project Manager and have that business savvy, however I also like to write screenplays in my spare time, so who knows, perhaps we'd have more in common than you might think! ;) :D

Have you actually tried to sell one of your screenplays? I'm pretty untested, to be honest: I had to hack out a 25-page writing sample because I had failed to write anything substantial in years.

~Shard~
Apr 18, 2006, 11:31 PM
I too wonder if they work? I mean it would be pretty cool to check it out, i would pay about 10 dollars for one of those just to see how it works :p

Ironically, perhaps one day these things will be worth something as collector's items once people look back to the early 2000's and the iPod craze... Anomalies like this could actually be worth something, along with rare collectibles such as iPod lunch boxes, action figures... :eek: ;) :cool:

Stella
Apr 18, 2006, 11:32 PM
Some of those counterfeits are pretty impressive reproductions!

puckhead193
Apr 18, 2006, 11:34 PM
Some of those counterfeits are pretty impressive reproductions!
the shuffle is pretty good, at a quick glance i would have thought it was a shuffle :o

~Shard~
Apr 18, 2006, 11:36 PM
Maybe I should swing by the sketchy electronics shops along 5th Avenue that prey on tourists and ignorant people. ;)

I know exactly the shops that you mean, my brother used to live in Manhattan so I know a lot of those areas well... :) And it wouldn't surprise me at all - actually, it would surprise me if they weren't selling these fakes... ;) :D

Have you actually tried to sell one of your screenplays? I'm pretty untested, to be honest: I had to hack out a 25-page writing sample because I haven't written anything substantial in years.

I'm going to try a little harder this summer. I've entered a couple in contests, but never finished in the Top 5, 10, whatever - yet. ;) I'm not going to be naive and think that any of my screenplays will be made into Hollywood movies with ease, but on the flip side, if I don't take it seriously and think that it's not worth it, I'll fail, etc., then of course I'll fail - it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

So although it's a hobby, it is something I take somewhat seriously. :cool:

Anywho, back on topic...

SeaFox
Apr 18, 2006, 11:37 PM
Both products share a general resemblance to the original products, but have some key differences:

The counterfeit iPod nano has a non-standard headphone jack located on the lower-right and has no dock connector. Meanwhile, the counterfeit shuffle comes in a convincing box but has the words "Digital Music Player" on the top, which the original does not. Other differences in the shuffle are the lack of a repeat setting on the switch and no battery light or status button.

I would think the fact you wouldn't be able to play your iTMS purchases on them would be a dead giveaway you have a counterfeit. :rolleyes:

~Shard~
Apr 18, 2006, 11:39 PM
I would think the fact you wouldn't be able to play your iTMS purchases on them would be a dead giveaway you have a counterfeit. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but by then it's too late. Can't exactly return them to that guy on the street for a refund most likely, especially since you may not have even received a receipt! ;) :D

Can you imagine the flack a company such as Best Buy or Circuit City would take if they actually goofed and allowed some of these to be sold! Talk about bad PR... :eek:

generik
Apr 18, 2006, 11:40 PM
Does it work with iTunes?

ImAlwaysRight
Apr 18, 2006, 11:40 PM
I can see it now -- man opens trenchcoat on the street ... "Hey, kid, wanna buy an iPod?"

MrCrowbar
Apr 18, 2006, 11:41 PM
Remember the super shuffle (later renamed super tangent) from Luxpro? A very convincing iPod shuffle copy and they actually sold it at a conference. Apple bought the brand and it's technology (I think they had radios in the shuffle).

You have lots of replicas out there. I've tried eBay and had a german auction i 5 seconds (boom): http://cgi.ebay.de/1-GB-black-MP3-MP4-Player-im-ipod-Nano-Design-edel_W0QQitemZ9712411456QQcategoryZ118264QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

JDOG_
Apr 18, 2006, 11:41 PM
I think you'd have to be an idiot to mix up the nano based on looks, but I can easily see the casual consumer getting totally screwed on the shuffle.

Bet they're still making some pretty nice margins on these. Especially since they skipped the whole "R&D" thing :rolleyes:

bluebomberman
Apr 18, 2006, 11:43 PM
I know exactly the shops that you mean, my brother used to live in Manhattan so I know a lot of those areas well... :) And it wouldn't surprise me at all - actually, it would surprise me if they weren't selling these fakes... ;) :D

Well, at least the imminent arrival of the 5th Avenue Apple Store (with the gigantic glass cube being constructed out front) will balance things out a bit.:D

Allow me to go off-topic one more time: I don't know how Hollywood works, but in the fiction world, you need a literary agent. Best of luck to you! I'd ask you what ideas you have, but then you'd have to sue me. :p

chasemac
Apr 18, 2006, 11:43 PM
Whats the starting bid?:)

Okay! Not really. But what would you pay?:)

MrCrowbar
Apr 18, 2006, 11:45 PM
Well, at least the imminent arrival of the 5th Avenue Apple Store (with the gigantic glass cube being constructed out front) will balance things out a bit.:D

You mean this big thing they covered up with black panels so noone could see it before it opens? HAve there been Apes with batons grunting and jumping around it yet? :p

SeaFox
Apr 18, 2006, 11:47 PM
Yeah, but by then it's too late. Can't exactly return them to that guy on the street for a refund most likely, especially since you may not have even received a receipt!

There might actually be a market for counterfeit iPods. There are people who aren't going to be keeping the Apple UI and iTMS support anyway. Like these guys (http://www.rockbox.org/).

iMeowbot
Apr 18, 2006, 11:47 PM
What do you do with a counterfeit iPod without a dock connector?
Probably the same things you would do with a real iPod without a dock connector :)

chasemac
Apr 18, 2006, 11:49 PM
Probably the same things you would do with a real iPod without a dock connector :)

Look cool?:)

MrCrowbar
Apr 18, 2006, 11:51 PM
Whoa, there are a lot of those on eBay actually: :eek:
http://i4.ebayimg.com/01/i/06/da/78/29_1_b.JPG

Look at the center button of the white model. That's what I call quality :rolleyes: Didn't even bother to photoshop that out :rolleyes:

kerolau
Apr 18, 2006, 11:52 PM
Actually the fake iPod nano has more functions then real iPod nano,
it can receive radio FM, and even play mp4.

SeaFox
Apr 18, 2006, 11:53 PM
Remember the super shuffle (later renamed super tangent) from Luxpro? A very convincing iPod shuffle copy and they actually sold it at a conference. Apple bought the brand and it's technology (I think they had radios in the shuffle).

What? :eek: Apple bought them out? I never heard that. Was probably their plan the whole time. :rolleyes:

Of corse Apple will just shelve them and their ideas, rather than add a radio and voice recorder to the Shuffle. Just like how they bought out Cassidy and Greene's SoundJam MP and made it into iTunes, dropping the recording feature in the process.

ajwitte
Apr 18, 2006, 11:55 PM
and even play mp4.

So can the real iPod. Apple just calls it by its other name, AAC.

bluebomberman
Apr 18, 2006, 11:59 PM
You mean this big thing they covered up with black panels so noone could see it before it opens? HAve there been Apes with batons grunting and jumping around it yet? :p

Is that a 2001 reference, a reference to loony New Yorkers, or a reference to the Cult of Mac?

MrCrowbar
Apr 19, 2006, 12:04 AM
Is that a 2001 reference, a reference to loony New Yorkers, or a reference to the Cult of Mac?

I saw the picture on MR a while back and totally thought about the 2001 monolyth. I'd love to see Phil Shiller and Paul Otellini jump around it in Ape suits when Steve tears down the black panels :D :p ;) :rolleyes: :cool: :) :eek:

bluebomberman
Apr 19, 2006, 12:04 AM

Look at the center button of the white model. That's what I call quality :rolleyes: Didn't even bother to photoshop that out :rolleyes:

Wow! Does the white iPod knockoff actually play your music backwards?!!

Backmasking fans rejoice!

SeaFox
Apr 19, 2006, 12:07 AM

I honestly thought they were talking about security gaurds trying to keep people away from it. I never caught the 2001 reference.

EricNau
Apr 19, 2006, 12:09 AM
You'd have to be an idiot to fall for this... so naturally, soon half the population will own one. :( :rolleyes:

Really though:
They are different enough to easily spot the difference, but similar enough to keep Apple legal busy.

bluebomberman
I saw the picture on MR a while back and totally thought about the 2001 monolyth. I'd love to see Phil Shiller and Paul Otellini jump around it in Ape suits when Steve tears down the black panels :D :p ;) :rolleyes: :cool: :) :eek:

I wouldn't. That would mean that the Apple store's actually a front for HAL 9000 to take over the world. :eek:

SeaFox
Wow! Does the white iPod knockoff actually play your music backwards?!!

Yup, Apple plans to sell it themselves bundled with the Beatles' White Album once they're finally available on the iTMS! :D

SeaFox
Apr 19, 2006, 12:24 AM
I just reported one of the fake black nanos as being a counterfeit to eBay.

You know the easiest way to avoid this would simply be for eBay to start actively enforcing the catergory listings it has. The iPod models have their own subcatergories on eBay so posting an auction for a non-iPod player in one would simply be a violation of seller rules.

It would make looking for something on eBay easier for buyers, too. Whenever I go on eBay to browse for a cell phone, or a printer, or something like that I always have to wade through hundreds of listings of accessories for that item to find the actual product, even thought I'm in the subcatergory for the item itself. This screws up sorting listings by price when there are three dozen auctions for cell phone face plates in listings for cell phones themselves. There are many auctions for ink cartridges in the catergory for printers, even though there is a separate section for cartiridges to go in! This and making a rule against auction titles like "(product name), NOT (really popular product name)" would make it much easier for people to shop.

Stella
Apr 19, 2006, 12:33 AM
Does it work with iTunes?

Hope your joking..

... of course it can't ( protected AAC files )

bdesign7
Apr 19, 2006, 12:39 AM
No offense to the Mods, but "Counterfit iPods appear"? As if these are new? What the hell? These have been around for A LONG time. Checkout TUAW, Engadget, Gizmodo, they've all been documenting these for a while.

Stridder44
Apr 19, 2006, 12:52 AM
Interesting.... Now this sucks for Apple and they should take this totally seriously! If however these fake iPods come up correctly iTunes most people would never know the difference, until they took it into an Apple store for repairs.

.:: Edit ::.
On second thought the interface is a dead giveaway for anyone who is even slightly aware of Apple products (As in having seen one used or used one themselves).
http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/3162/nanoc5eb.jpg

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8823/nano27dd.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting (http://imageshack.us)

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Oh man...that is so counterfeit. All aboard the obvious train based on looks alone. The screen looks awkward, theres a whole new "button" added (vol), even the plastic looks a little different.

And ya I have to agree with bdesign7 on that "fake iPods have been around for a while" comment. It's true, this is nothing new.

LimeiBook86
Apr 19, 2006, 12:58 AM
I for one will be very happy when Apple makes these people pay. Obviously a tech savvy user should be able to tell the difference (well at least with the Nano) but, still this is horrible. I'd be so angry if someone did that to my product. Flattery, shmattery, this is basically theft! :eek: :rolleyes:

bluebomberman
Apr 19, 2006, 01:01 AM
And ya I have to agree with bdesign7 on that "fake iPods have been around for a while" comment. It's true, this is nothing new.

Yeah, but this topic's more fun than anything else that's been on the front page of this site lately. In particular, I'm tired of all the MacBook speculation (primarily because I realized I don't need one anymore) and the super-early Leopard/WWDC speculation. Just looking at the pathetic attempt at a scroll wheel is worth a hearty chuckle.

intlplby
Apr 19, 2006, 01:13 AM
these have been all over china for months..... everything is counterfeited here.....

if you can sell it it has been counterfeited

cigarettes
clothes
shoes
hats
golf clubs
watches
sunglasses
liquor
electronics devices
printer ink
cd-r dvd-r

everything.... you'd be amazed at exactly how much is conterfeited

the only reason america runs a trade deficit with china is because china doesn't pay for any intellectual property

SeaFox
Apr 19, 2006, 01:20 AM
In case anyone wants to report one (eBay acct needed):

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/replica-counterfeit.html

Mechcozmo
Apr 19, 2006, 01:25 AM
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! ;) :D

No, copyright violation is. [the highest form of flattery]

And Apple's dealt with this kind of stuff before...Linkety (http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Stolen_From_Apple.txt&sortOrder=Sort%20by%20Date&detail=medium)

swingerofbirch
Apr 19, 2006, 01:29 AM
I think that my post must have been deleted or moved by a moderator. Could you let me know where it has been moved to...or has it simply disappeared?

I am guessing it was deemed offensive? I don't recall exactly what I wrote but I thought it was clever. I would appreciate an explanation as this is the second occurrence within a short period of time that a post of mine has been deleted, and for years before this none of my posts had been deleted.

intlplby
Apr 19, 2006, 01:29 AM
i posted this at thinksecret, but this topic is what spurred me to start this discussion so i will post it here... all these counterfeit nanos and shuffles come from china

As a foreigner living in China, I was thinking about two of the biggest problems between china and the rest of the world - Censorship and Intellectual Property

If China and Chinese people paid for the massive amounts of intellectual property rights consumed, there would most definitely not be a trade deficit.... in fact America would have a trade surplus.....

Censorship is a huge problem here. Many chinese aren't even aware of it. Internet content should be totally free from governmental, and if China wants to participate it should respect this fact. In addition American companies should not aid China in censoring the internet (Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Cisco, etc)

The best solution I can see is to block China from accessing American and European internet sites until it starts to comply.

China is so dependent on the US for information you wouldn't believe it.

All that needs to be done is to check the IP of the person trying to access information in America and instead of allowing them to do so, serve them a page that states that Chinese internet is censored and the problems with censorship and stating the problems with rampant raping of intellectual property......

this should start with everything that is free..... journal articles, patents, research etc..... academia should be the first to start this assault on censorship and raping of intellectual property.......

the universities here would have nothing to teach the students and no research would be done....... you would bring many institutions to their knees..... china would be forced to allow freedom of information or not participate at all......

as bill clinton said "information is power"

Counterfit
Apr 19, 2006, 01:36 AM
No offense to the Mods, but "Counterfit iPods appear"?
AHEM!

:D

joelypolly
Apr 19, 2006, 01:41 AM
I saw a bunch of them on my holiday to thailand... so close yet so far

gammamonk
Apr 19, 2006, 01:47 AM
Fake iPods are lame. :P

daysleeper
Apr 19, 2006, 02:04 AM
the nano looks like someone ran a real one through a washing machine and then lost it in the yard for the summer. Seriously-- can't they do better than that? The shuffle looks pretty good, tho-- much easier to imitate.

cait-sith
Apr 19, 2006, 02:05 AM
Censorship is a huge problem here. Many chinese aren't even aware of it. Internet content should be totally free from governmental, and if China wants to participate it should respect this fact.

The thought police will be with you shortly.

iJaz
Apr 19, 2006, 02:50 AM
Why bother to do something like this if you can't do it properly? Look at the nano, it's such a joke!

mook
Apr 19, 2006, 03:11 AM
You can get them here:
http://hkkingsound.en.alibaba.com/offerdetail/51965666/Sell_MP4_Player.html

iEdd
Apr 19, 2006, 03:48 AM
AHEM!
I'm sorry man, but I agree too, your iPods suck, they look nothing like the real thing... :D

bigandy
Apr 19, 2006, 04:08 AM
Yeah, but this topic's more fun than anything else that's been on the front page of this site lately. In particular, I'm tired of all the MacBook speculation (primarily because I realized I don't need one anymore) and the super-early Leopard/WWDC speculation. Just looking at the pathetic attempt at a scroll wheel is worth a hearty chuckle.

well said, that man.

bigandy
Apr 19, 2006, 04:20 AM
In case anyone wants to report one (eBay acct needed):

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/replica-counterfeit.html

great idea, only one slight problem. every eBay auction for one of these i've seen they've stated quite clearly they're *not ipods*... that probably makes some difference, because while they look very similar, they're not being marketed as the original.

(L)
Apr 19, 2006, 04:32 AM
i posted this at thinksecret, but this topic is what spurred me to start this discussion so i will post it here... all these counterfeit nanos and shuffles come from china

As a foreigner living in China, I was thinking about two of the biggest problems between china and the rest of the world - Censorship and Intellectual Property

If China and Chinese people paid for the massive amounts of intellectual property rights consumed, there would most definitely not be a trade deficit.... in fact America would have a trade surplus.....

Censorship is a huge problem here. Many chinese aren't even aware of it. Internet content should be totally free from governmental, and if China wants to participate it should respect this fact. In addition American companies should not aid China in censoring the internet (Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Cisco, etc)

The best solution I can see is to block China from accessing American and European internet sites until it starts to comply.

China is so dependent on the US for information you wouldn't believe it.

All that needs to be done is to check the IP of the person trying to access information in America and instead of allowing them to do so, serve them a page that states that Chinese internet is censored and the problems with censorship and stating the problems with rampant raping of intellectual property......

this should start with everything that is free..... journal articles, patents, research etc..... academia should be the first to start this assault on censorship and raping of intellectual property.......

the universities here would have nothing to teach the students and no research would be done....... you would bring many institutions to their knees..... china would be forced to allow freedom of information or not participate at all......

as bill clinton said "information is power"

Yes and no. Some institutions will be left, and they'll find a way around it quickly enough. I agree that Google is being a bit of a commie recently. And the problem with China in international relations is that they were granted respect they didn't deserve normally only because they show signs of being highly volatile and are totally militarized, centralized, and can easily convince the volatile masses to war (or at least the clueless students). Just a while back there was a fuss in the media over here in Japan about how thousands of Chinese students decided to start semi-violent (threatening and throwing stuff) protests against Japan, primarily fueled by Japan's long-past occupation of Manchuria. The thing is, it was like one kid suddenly discovered you could incite an angry mob over historical fact that would be too old to bicker over except that for these students, it was the first time they learned anything of their history. In Japan's defense, along with the US, the Japanese have essentially FUNDED China's economy - even more than the US, paying billions of dollars. It's not funny, to consider that tons of Japanese tax payers are now paying for the construction of oil stations within Japanese seas done in blatant violation of law by the Chinese government. They've finally figured it out, unfortunately - China has the guns and the military to squash Japan, but it can't if it wants to remain on the map (esp. with US interests considered). Instead, press Japan's buttons little by little, stealing a bit here, causing a fuss about historical fiction there (granted, some of the stuff is true, but such is always exaggerated for effect), disreagard boundaries, blame the violent nature of its intent on a handful of students (the people in general are most definitely innocent, but the government fully supports those angry mobs that win them power). I just can't believe Japan continues to help China in so many ways, much more significantly than Google and those other guys. South Korea has also decided to claim a Japanese island, and there is a similar effect of hothead students getting their pants in wads about getting their island back. (Back from what? Exactly. Japan is done paying reparations, and you'd think years of alms would quiet these nations blind rage because they risk being viewed somewhat correctly as parasites.) Now, I have nothing against China or South Korea or even North Korea, but those governments and especially their support of the ignorant hothead students amounts to violent threats against a nation that has remained in peace for 60 years. Japan will not go to war in the forseeable future, but the Japanese pay dearly for their peace. Just think how much better the economy would be if the Japanese were not giving away tax money to feed those that the neighboring nations cannot? Hell, there are plenty of people in hardship in Japan too. You don't see them out in the streets rioting. There are a couple semi-criminal cults that are frightfully anti-Chinese etc., but they are properly condemned by society AND by the Japanese government.

But wait a minute, you made me rant forever about something potentially unrelated to the thread! We can't assume these products are Chinese-made, right?:confused:

gauchogolfer
Apr 19, 2006, 04:41 AM
You can get them here:

I don't think that you're going to find too many takers here on this forum for fake Nanos.

joelypolly
Apr 19, 2006, 04:55 AM
Reading some of the replies regarding China has made me very dissapointed in people. While you talk of IP I think you are missing the fact your in a different culture where there is no such thing as IP. IP is avery western idea... in Asia its very hard to think of an idea that belongs to a person. Take for instance songs in China one song might be sang by 3 or 4 different singers. Sure they know who wrote the song and all but it doesn't belong to a person.

Also regarding the trade surplus i doubt the US will get rid of its multi-trillion dollar deficit just because china started buying copies of windows.

line
Apr 19, 2006, 05:02 AM
pocketmedia groovy
found these at a swiss electonics store, about two feet away from real nanos...

Eagon
Apr 19, 2006, 05:13 AM

They have a cool mysterious M button on them, i want one!!

MacBoobsPro
Apr 19, 2006, 05:14 AM
Crapple Ypod Nono!

line
Apr 19, 2006, 05:18 AM
the white one even has true playback capabilities ;)

MacBoobsPro
Apr 19, 2006, 05:24 AM

The M stands for 'Mug' if you buy one!

Di9it8
Apr 19, 2006, 05:33 AM
imagine them buying an iPod Hi-Fi to go with their new "iPod" and trying to get it to work :D

Maybe the fakers will make a fake iPod HiFi without the dock!!

rockthecasbah
Apr 19, 2006, 05:41 AM
You can get them here:
Look at these amazing (and word for word) specs of this fabulous MP4 Player!

Detailed Selling Lead Description
Product Name: MP4 Player
Model Number: SY-268 (black)
Place of Origin: China

Specifications:
1) Player size: 41 x 90 x 7.6mm
2) MTV movie function
3) JPEG picture browse function
4) Internal record function
5) Supports multi-audio format
6) Supports multi-language display
7) FM stereo radio
8) No need drive for USB disk function
9) Super long time high quality recording and repeating
10) Mobile storage function, USB 2.0 (FS) high-rate transmission
11) Different space disk mode
12) 7 EQ modes
13) Multi-play mode
14) Cartoon menu
15) Accessories: earphone, charger, converting tool, USB cable

Inner packing:
Color box

Outer packing:
20pcs/ctn
Carton dimensions: 34.4 x 23.6 x 26cm
G.W.: 8kg

Di9it8
Apr 19, 2006, 05:45 AM
You can get them here:

Looks like apple will be in touch with King Sound as they have all the iPods in fake style:D

gauchogolfer
Apr 19, 2006, 06:25 AM
It looks like the white one has a special button that plays all your music backwards. Sweet.

gauchogolfer
Apr 19, 2006, 06:30 AM
Reading some of the replies regarding China has made me very dissapointed in people. While you talk of IP I think you are missing the fact your in a different culture where there is no such thing as IP. IP is avery western idea... in Asia its very hard to think of an idea that belongs to a person. Take for instance songs in China one song might be sang by 3 or 4 different singers. Sure they know who wrote the song and all but it doesn't belong to a person.

Also regarding the trade surplus i doubt the US will get rid of its multi-trillion dollar deficit just because china started buying copies of windows.

The point here is that IP may be a western idea, but if they want to do business with the rest of the world then they ought to abide by the rules. Are you saying that companies from the US/elsewhere should just say 'to hell with it, what can we do' and not fight this? What is the benefit to them to develop new products if they'll just be instantly pirated?
The trade deficit is of course due to a lot of things, but surely it would be partially offset if all of these consumer products' sales were actually going to the right company.

shadowmoses
Apr 19, 2006, 06:32 AM
The Shuffle are believable at first glance and the Nano's are a pathetic copy....The way these clones are coming out it wont be long before they clone the real video iPod or the next 6th Gen iPod.....

The good thing for Apple though, is that I severly doubt that these Counterfit iPod's are doing anything to damage there iPod sales and therefore are probably not causing Steve Jobs any sweat.

SHadOW

Leoff
Apr 19, 2006, 06:37 AM
To everyone whining about how this is not news, shouldn't have been posted, etc...

Try finding something worth posting then.

eXan
Apr 19, 2006, 06:47 AM
the shuffle is pretty good, at a quick glance i would have thought it was a shuffle :o

Yes the 'shuffle' looks better than 'nano'. "nano" is just... piece of @^#%

Macnoviz
Apr 19, 2006, 06:58 AM
some more fakes:
http://www.e800.com.cn/images/2017/2005122014441112946.png
http://mobbit.info/media/3/Zen%20VisionM_1.jpg

Damek
Apr 19, 2006, 07:07 AM
The trade deficit is of course due to a lot of things, but surely it would be partially offset if all of these consumer products' sales were actually going to the right company.

Yeah, playing in the global market where the large corporations have decided they own everything, China is going to find themselves in a lot of such conflicts.

As for the trade deficit... all I'm gonna say is everyone (and I mean everyone, whether you're liberal or conservative doesn't matter) should read Myths of Free Trade (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1565849280) by Congressman Sherrod Brown. He covers trade with China very well in the middle of the book... It's a short book, too, you could finish it in a couple days, a week tops if you're only reading it while commuting :P

iEdd
Apr 19, 2006, 07:08 AM
http://mobbit.info/media/3/Zen%20VisionM_1.jpg
Is that an iRiver? :D

Photorun
Apr 19, 2006, 07:22 AM
14) Cartoon menu

As opposed to a live action menu?

Thing is, to anyone who equates a real Apple iPod as cool, anyone buying one of these is a poser... kinda like those people who bought those fake Nike shoes in the 80s where the swoosh was upside.

Which reminds me of this time in NYC where this guy was selling "Genuine Rolox Watches" out of the back of a van. Yep, they sure were "genuine Rolox," too bad they weren't a Rolex.:rolleyes:

intlplby
Apr 19, 2006, 07:29 AM
i hate the term "western".... it is the most bs term..... it's not western it's international...... that's the way the world works

japan, south korea, taiwan, austraila, singapore, india, etc etc etc respect and function within the bounds of IP and they are not western....

instead on the term western, maybe the term non-asian would be more appropriate, but even that does not do it justice since there are asian countries which respect IP

it would be a conservative guess to say that 50% of my students have knowingly and intentionally plagiarized and see nothing wrong with it at one of the better universities in china.....

an academic honor code is something that is seriously lacking in the schools here

Macnoviz
Apr 19, 2006, 07:50 AM
Is that an iRiver? :D

Zen Vision M

petej
Apr 19, 2006, 08:11 AM
Given that the direct competition is not up to that much then maybe the clones will push apple to keep innovating.
Whilst I do not condone the clone manufacturers / retailers, I do have a certain admiration for the what they have done.
? Is the clone nano just a stripped off mobile phone? The screen size makes it look so.
? How much did it actually cost them to develop the clones? How much did it cost apple to develop the nano?
? Are the clones signed up for MS Play's for sure or whatever that nonsense is?

Gasu E.
Apr 19, 2006, 08:28 AM

Very cool. The white one actually has a "play it backwards" control. Turn me on, dead man!

wPod
Apr 19, 2006, 08:28 AM
lol, wow! my friend has that imitation iPod nano! she got it off of e-bay for $60 i think. but my friend knew she wasnt buying an iPod when she got it. unlike the pictures of the imitation shuffle in a box that has the apple logo on it and says iPod shuffle, the imitation nano has no apple markings and does not use the apple or iPod name anywhere. it is simply sold as a cheap mp3 player. though i imagine in some way it is in violation of a copyright!

fixyourthinking
Apr 19, 2006, 08:32 AM
Both of these have been out for several months ... in fact there was a report on Engadget back in December about a guy who was selling the Shuffles on Craig's list.

One of the most interesting things is ... the controversy actually makes these little gems MORE VALUABLE to a collector!

peharri
Apr 19, 2006, 08:40 AM
Look at these amazing (and word for word) specs of this fabulous MP4 Player!

Detailed Selling Lead Description
Product Name: MP4 Player
Model Number: SY-268 (black)
Place of Origin: China

Specifications:
1) Player size: 41 x 90 x 7.6mm
2) MTV movie function
3) JPEG picture browse function
4) Internal record function
5) Supports multi-audio format
6) Supports multi-language display
7) FM stereo radio
8) No need drive for USB disk function
9) Super long time high quality recording and repeating
10) Mobile storage function, USB 2.0 (FS) high-rate transmission
11) Different space disk mode
12) 7 EQ modes
13) Multi-play mode
14) Cartoon menu
15) Accessories: earphone, charger, converting tool, USB cable

Inner packing:
Color box

Outer packing:
20pcs/ctn
Carton dimensions: 34.4 x 23.6 x 26cm
G.W.: 8kg

Ok, hold on, hold on.

So, some of these devices are actually legitimate. They look similar to but not identical to the iPod nano, do not use Apple branding, are what they advertise themselves as being (ie they really play MP3s/MP4s/etc), etc, etc.

Why are we getting upset again?

Yes, the iPod Shuffle thing is a genuine example of counterfeiting. It has an Apple logo on it. It's clearly intended to mislead. However, it's a big jump to go from that to "Anything that, if you squint your eyes and look at it funny, looks like an Apple product is an actual counterfeit." The picture of the "iPod Shuffle" at the beginning of this thread I could see was intended to decieve. The picture of the device that looked similar to the iPod nano, but had an entirely different UI... I don't think so. No Apple logo. Different shape and sizes. Different UI. Different hardware design and software design. Clearly a working device that performs as described. A counterfeit?

By those standards, eMachines, Gateway, and others are counterfeiters. Whereas they're actually computer builders who make legitimate PCs that perform as advertised, that use form factors that, while clearly inspired by Apple products, aren't intended to make people think they're buying the same thing.

deijmaster
Apr 19, 2006, 08:51 AM
No suprise, the pods are so popular.

But it's funny that this story is posted just now, last weekend I was going through the newspapers and a computer company (I think it was MDG.ca) was advertising that if you purchased now, you would get an IPOD like mp3 player.

The images were exactly like the one presented on this story...

Lame...

joshwest
Apr 19, 2006, 08:55 AM
its clearly counterfit, i was in nyc about 2 weeks ago where i bought my brand new MBP (not a fake by the way :D , got it at the soho store) and i think nyc is famous for knock offs and i think its rather cool. i purchased a fake burberry hand bag for a girlfriend on the st from a guy who looked like he held up liquor stores the day before. and bought bootleg movies in manhatten. I dont think its such a bad thing, i do think the ipod shuffle rip off shouldnt have apple markings that will cause a law suit. but if a guy said 40$ for a 4 gig nock off nano and if it worked id think about picking it up.

blueimac'00
Apr 19, 2006, 08:55 AM
hell, they may be fake but the nano interface looks pretty sweet

Damek
Apr 19, 2006, 08:59 AM
lol, wow! my friend has that imitation iPod nano! she got it off of e-bay for $60 i think. but my friend knew she wasnt buying an iPod when she got it. unlike the pictures of the imitation shuffle in a box that has the apple logo on it and says iPod shuffle, the imitation nano has no apple markings and does not use the apple or iPod name anywhere. it is simply sold as a cheap mp3 player. though i imagine in some way it is in violation of a copyright!

It shouldn't be a violation of copyright, and it also shouldn't be a violation of any trademarks as long as they're not using Apple's names or logos.

It could theoretically be a patent violation if it uses the click-wheel thing and Apple has that patented (I don't know if they do). It probably also shouldn't be a violation of any patents, though, because (IMHO) the click-wheel is an obvious extension of existing tech. But then I'm a big pissed at the modern patent system anyway, so I'm biased.

In general, I think these things are wonderful. If people like them and don't mind the clunky interface and lack of iTunes, great. Then Apple has competition. Probably insignificant competition, though. In any case, as much as I like Apple's products, we need fewer international megacoprps, not more, and any developments that keep companies like Apple in their place is good for me.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some bigger company (or companies) like Sony or Microsoft is financing these little buggers on the sly just to hurt Apple. Conspiracies do happen...

C00rDiNaT0r
Apr 19, 2006, 09:07 AM
I'm only on page 1, and I'm too lazy to keep reading to the last page.

I believe engadget has talked about these things a long time ago in their "Keepin' it real fake: part (some number)", esp. that fake iPod nano.

So how is this news?

Foxglove9
Apr 19, 2006, 09:08 AM
I can see a ton of NYC'ers buying these things up on the street. The boxes look convincing enough and that pretty much all that matters.

Hate to say it but they're still selling "Genuine Rolox Watches" on the street along with just about anything else you can think of. Some things, like imitation fashion accessories aren't really made that poorly and look like the real thing. I'd rather buy a $40 imitation Coach bag than a $400 one because 400 for a purse is a ripoff to me. Well actually I wouldn't buy either because I don't care for Coach so it's a moot point.

3 times in my life walking around the city some guy (different guy, different locations all the time) tried selling me speakers from the back of his van. Said it was an amazing deal..heh.

Sometimes I would buy imitation stuff if it's cheap enough but with electronics or high priced items, I would never ever buy off the streets.

As opposed to a live action menu?

Thing is, to anyone who equates a real Apple iPod as cool, anyone buying one of these is a poser... kinda like those people who bought those fake Nike shoes in the 80s where the swoosh was upside.

Which reminds me of this time in NYC where this guy was selling "Genuine Rolox Watches" out of the back of a van. Yep, they sure were "genuine Rolox," too bad they weren't a Rolex.:rolleyes:

Chappers
Apr 19, 2006, 09:09 AM
I thought there had been several threads on fake iPods (here on MacRumors) - hell I think I even posted one.

Demon
Apr 19, 2006, 09:29 AM
no offense, but this is last year's news... i'm surprised this would be printed on page 1 of mac rumors.. oh well.:confused:

F14CRAZY
Apr 19, 2006, 09:39 AM
I've got family in the Philippines and was there last October. We visited the cheap mall in Manila known as Tutuban. We saw Sundisk MP3 players, Pensonic TVs, Kenwoot receivers, and Sany CVD players. They've got some weird stuff...like "DVCD" players with the logo styled like the real DVD. Tons of counterfit DVDs. It's a huge mall and nobody's doing anything to bust these sellers.

Though I wished I wasn't into Verizon and had a GSM carrier. They're got such a large selection of cell phones :eek: . If I lived there, I couldn't ever decide on one. And cool stuff, like tons of Nokias. And stuff I haven't seen before like a phone made by Asus

JGowan
Apr 19, 2006, 09:49 AM
Can you imagine the flack a company such as Best Buy or Circuit City would take if they actually goofed and allowed some of these to be sold! Talk about bad PR... Ok... so here's the deal...

1) You discover you're a putz, worthless and a goof for buying this fake PoC. :eek:

2) You go buy (with cash) a REAL iPod Shuffle/Nano from Best Buy where most of the front end people don't know a Nano from a BaNano or a Shuffle from a Falafel. :)

3) Now you've got REAL PACKAGING and a REAL RECEIPT. Your plan is Magellan it's so Gellin'. :cool:

4) You put the fake iPod into the Real Box and take it back and claim it was for your girlfriend and she wanted the pink one. (you grin inside knowing they ain't got no stinkin' Pink iPods.) ;)

5) They tell you that was the IPOD MINI and they ain't got no stinkin' Pink iPods. That or they scratch their heads and dream of their break. :confused: / :rolleyes:

6) You say you're going to try on eBay because this is a special present and has to be just right. You grin inside knowing that you'll jammin' in no time. You look especially disheartened. :(

7) The salesgirl thinks you're the best guy a girl could have and cheerfully refunds your money. :p

8) You enjoy your REAL iPod and forget you were ever a putz, worthless and a goof. :)

--

9) You realize I'm joking and simply smile. (and perhaps Reply to This Post and use phrases like "ROFLMAO" and "Funniest Thing I've heard all day"... ***** like that.) :D

e-coli
Apr 19, 2006, 09:50 AM
That "nano" is hysterical.

C00rDiNaT0r
Apr 19, 2006, 09:59 AM
Ok... so here's the deal...

1) You discover you're a putz, worthless and a goof for buying this fake PoC. :eek:

2) You go buy (with cash) a REAL iPod Shuffle/Nano from Best Buy where most of the front end people don't know a Shuffle from a Falafel. :)

3) Now you've got REAL PACKAGING and a REAL RECEIPT. Your plan is Magellan it's so Gellin'. :cool:

4) You put the fake iPod into the Real Box and take it back and claim it was for your girlfriend and she wanted the pink one. (you grin inside knowing they ain't got no stinkin' Pink iPods.) ;)

5) They tell you that was the IPOD MINI and they ain't got no stinkin' Pink iPods. That or they scratch their heads and dream of their break. :confused: / :rolleyes:

6) You say you're going to try on eBay because this is a special present and has to be just right. You grin inside knowing that you'll jammin' in no time. You look especially disheartened. :(

7) The salesgirl thinks you're the best guy a girl could have and cheerfully refunds your money. :p

8) You enjoy your REAL iPod and forget you were ever a putz, worthless and a goof. :)

--

9) You realize I'm joking and simply smile. (and perhaps Reply to This Post and use phrases like ROFLMAO and Funniest Thing I've heard all day... ***** like that.) :D

Best if someone actually does it and succeed.

crackintosh
Apr 19, 2006, 10:21 AM
they sell the counterfeit ones at fry's in downers grove, IL. They are in a plain blue box and it just says mp3 player. They dont sell them anywhere near the ipods though. They are way at the back of the store near other grey market electronics.

fixyourthinking
Apr 19, 2006, 10:34 AM
I've got family in the Philippines and was there last October. We visited the cheap mall in Manila known as Tutuban. We saw Sundisk MP3 players, Pensonic TVs, Kenwoot receivers, and Sany CVD players.

All you have to do is go to New York to buy Panaso-onic and Sonyi ..

quigleybc
Apr 19, 2006, 11:59 AM
If they can connect to a mac with iTunes, play music, and charge then whatever....As long as they are being sold as knockoffs, and not trying to trick people.

How much are they, where are they being sold?

I think it's funny. And I'd get one for 20 bucks.

boncellis
Apr 19, 2006, 12:25 PM
They say imitation is the highest form of flattery...so where does making a counterfeit fall on that continuum?

I used to laugh at the Simpsons for calling Hong Kong "Hidden Pirate Island," but I wonder how far off that really is...

~Shard~
Apr 19, 2006, 12:29 PM
They say imitation is the highest form of flattery...

Didn't read the very first post in this thread, did ya? Copycat... oh wait, you were imitating me, I guess I should take that as a compliment... I get it! :p ;) :D

shamino
Apr 19, 2006, 12:46 PM
Yeah, they probably would! Hmm, you and I should start up our own company which salvages old/broken iPod minis and resells the cases as paperweights...
You'll have to pry mine out of my cold dead fingers :D

I love my mini. I'll take that virtually-indestructable metal case over the nano's scratch-o-rama finish any day. And I prefer my microdrive to flash - it's faster and has no write-cycle limitation.

shamino
Apr 19, 2006, 12:50 PM
Products like the fake-shuffle, that had Apple logos and everything on it, will not be sold by reputable stores. Those products are flat-out illegal in most civilized countries. You may find them at flea markets, e-bay, and other places where disreputable vendors hawk their products, however.

Products like the nano-knock-off, which don't claim to be Apple products, having a different feature set and different UI probably will be available in legitimate stores. Apple can patent many things, but the concept of a small music player isn't one of them.

And I don't think anyone will be fooled into thinking such a device is an iPod, if it doesn't call itself one and doesn't have any Apple markings on it.

shamino
Apr 19, 2006, 12:55 PM

Yes, but are they claiming to be selling an iPod? Or just a "nano" size music player. The store pages (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=a33fq) I've seen never call it an iPod.

boncellis
Apr 19, 2006, 01:09 PM
Didn't read the very first post in this thread, did ya? Copycat... oh wait, you were imitating me, I guess I should take that as a compliment... I get it! :p ;) :D

Lol, I did read it, I just missed it somehow. Surprising since you're one of the handful of posters whose comments I always read.

Great minds, I suppose! (Or similar forms of dementia).

~Shard~
Apr 19, 2006, 02:59 PM
Lol, I did read it, I just missed it somehow. Surprising since you're one of the handful of posters whose comments I always read.

Great minds, I suppose! (Or similar forms of dementia).

No no, not dementia, I like the "great minds" reasoning much better... ;) :D

whee900
Apr 19, 2006, 06:22 PM
great idea, only one slight problem. every eBay auction for one of these i've seen they've stated quite clearly they're *not ipods*... that probably makes some difference, because while they look very similar, they're not being marketed as the original.
On the listings they call them iPods, so it is fradulent.

i wonder how these things are inside... anybody try taking one apart?

Willeisen88
Apr 20, 2006, 01:36 AM
This isn't news. Creative has been making couterfit iPods for years...;)

Fiebre
Apr 20, 2006, 10:14 PM
This thing plays videos...does the real nano do that? Plus it looks like the screen is bigger.

iGary
Apr 20, 2006, 10:28 PM
I didn't read any of this, but you would have to be a real dumb ass™ to not spot the counterfits.

bartman-chinese
Apr 24, 2006, 06:45 AM
Yes and no. Some institutions will be left, and they'll find a way around it quickly enough. I agree that Google is being a bit of a commie recently. And the problem with China in international relations is that they were granted respect they didn't deserve normally only because they show signs of being highly volatile and are totally militarized, centralized, and can easily convince the volatile masses to war (or at least the clueless students). Just a while back there was a fuss in the media over here in Japan about how thousands of Chinese students decided to start semi-violent (threatening and throwing stuff) protests against Japan, primarily fueled by Japan's long-past occupation of Manchuria. The thing is, it was like one kid suddenly discovered you could incite an angry mob over historical fact that would be too old to bicker over except that for these students, it was the first time they learned anything of their history. In Japan's defense, along with the US, the Japanese have essentially FUNDED China's economy - even more than the US, paying billions of dollars. It's not funny, to consider that tons of Japanese tax payers are now paying for the construction of oil stations within Japanese seas done in blatant violation of law by the Chinese government. They've finally figured it out, unfortunately - China has the guns and the military to squash Japan, but it can't if it wants to remain on the map (esp. with US interests considered). Instead, press Japan's buttons little by little, stealing a bit here, causing a fuss about historical fiction there (granted, some of the stuff is true, but such is always exaggerated for effect), disreagard boundaries, blame the violent nature of its intent on a handful of students (the people in general are most definitely innocent, but the government fully supports those angry mobs that win them power). I just can't believe Japan continues to help China in so many ways, much more significantly than Google and those other guys. South Korea has also decided to claim a Japanese island, and there is a similar effect of hothead students getting their pants in wads about getting their island back. (Back from what? Exactly. Japan is done paying reparations, and you'd think years of alms would quiet these nations blind rage because they risk being viewed somewhat correctly as parasites.) Now, I have nothing against China or South Korea or even North Korea, but those governments and especially their support of the ignorant hothead students amounts to violent threats against a nation that has remained in peace for 60 years. Japan will not go to war in the forseeable future, but the Japanese pay dearly for their peace. Just think how much better the economy would be if the Japanese were not giving away tax money to feed those that the neighboring nations cannot? Hell, there are plenty of people in hardship in Japan too. You don't see them out in the streets rioting. There are a couple semi-criminal cults that are frightfully anti-Chinese etc., but they are properly condemned by society AND by the Japanese government.

But wait a minute, you made me rant forever about something potentially unrelated to the thread! We can't assume these products are Chinese-made, right?:confused:

They are Chinese made... and the thing about anti-Japanese was in part caused by the PM of Japan... but that's off topic.:) (No offence to all those people out there:o )
The idea of making 'copies' of iPods are disgusting, plus, isn't the design copyrighted or something?

shamino
Apr 24, 2006, 02:38 PM
The idea of making 'copies' of iPods are disgusting, plus, isn't the design copyrighted or something?
This really depends on the nature of the copy and what Apple has patented (you can't copyright hardware).

The shuffle-clone (complete with Apple logo) is clearly a violation of several laws, not the least of which is misappropriation of Apple's trademark.

The other device shown (the one the article refers to as a "nano" clone) seems perfectly OK to me. It doesn't look much at all like a nano. Different shape display. Different UI. No click-wheel (that wheel-shape thing is just a circular piece of plastic covering five pushbuttons.) No AAC compatibility. Proprietary headphone connector. And no Apple-branding anywhere on it.

If you think this should somehow be illegal, think again. Apple has patented many things, but not the overall concept of a pocket-sized music player. Creative, Sony, Dell, and many other big-name companies also have small-size players - some of which with interfaces a lot more similar to Apple's than the cheap piece of junk everyone here's talking about.

Bern
Apr 24, 2006, 04:10 PM
My sister (a die hard windows user) bought one of these counterfeit Nanos via eBay. It came shipped from China and was sold as an iPod Nano so of course she believes she bought the real McCoy despite me trying to explain to her the contrary.

I haven't seen it yet (it's a birthday gift for her daughter) but will let you know what the outcome of this device is.

Kardashian
Apr 25, 2006, 08:53 AM
Mum decided she would buy the lil' Sis an iPod Shuffle the other day, so she registered with eBay, and found a powerseller with something stupid like 3,000 ratings, 98% postive, selling one on £15 Buy-It Now.

She won the auction, I was adamant to have a link and check it out.

No doubt, it was a complete, total fake! And to the untrained eye, my God its good. Its the same picture that was posted on some website the other day, I got it on CNET, side by side with a real shuffle with the word 'COUNTERFEIT' emblazened across it.

Obviously I didn't let her complete the sale, and eBay are now saying it is our duty as members to pay for items we win. Sorry, but they have powersellers selling shiny white paperweights... urm, eBay.. go screw!

Anyway, theres my input :p

Kardashian
Apr 25, 2006, 08:56 AM
Oh, and like the previous poster, it was from China..

shamino
Apr 25, 2006, 10:42 AM
My sister (a die hard windows user) bought one of these counterfeit Nanos via eBay. It came shipped from China and was sold as an iPod Nano so of course she believes she bought the real McCoy despite me trying to explain to her the contrary.
Have you contacted eBay regarding the criminal activity of the seller. Fraud is something they claim to take seriously.

Selling a no-name music player as an iPod is illegal and a violation of eBay's policies.

shamino
Apr 25, 2006, 10:45 AM
Obviously I didn't let her complete the sale, and eBay are now saying it is our duty as members to pay for items we win. Sorry, but they have powersellers selling shiny white paperweights... urm, eBay.. go screw!
Have you contacted eBay, or are you just planning to ignore their messages?

If you inform them that the sale is fraudulent (something along the lines of "They said they were selling iPods, and now they're trying to ship something else"), they might be willing to help out. If you just ignore them, they will give you a bad buyer's rating, which may affect your ability to participate in future auctions.

Please follow up on this and let us know how eBay responds to these fraudulent auctions.

Kardashian
Apr 25, 2006, 10:47 AM
I think it will be cleared up in the end, but at the moment, because the pictures and title say its an iPod, well that means it must be, despite the fact it doesn't have a battery indicator, the cap is oversized, and the button on the back is different - But I am sure eBay knows best, who am I to argue.

Yeah. Right.

They've had an email telling them the situation, with links to websites showing counterfeits so now its in their hands.

If they start all their ''Unpaid Buyer'' malarky, I will just close the account. :)

Kardashian
Apr 25, 2006, 10:49 AM
Forgot to say, thanks for the advice, Shamino :rolleyes:

Counterfit
Apr 25, 2006, 05:25 PM
I didn't read any of this, but you would have to be a real dumb ass™ to not spot the counterfits.
Yeah. they're right here (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=20555).

I am having way too much fun with this :D

briansolomon
Apr 25, 2006, 08:27 PM
I was somewhat interested in getting one just for the sake of it and if it at least worked as a USB flash drive I'd be more than happy with it. However, all the fake ones have a shipping rate of $15 or so. Such crap.