PDA

View Full Version : 17'' MacBook Pro at NAB?

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Apr 19, 2006, 10:37 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Appleinsider claims (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1681) that Apple will be releasing their 17" MacBook Pro at the National Association of Broadcasters conference next week.

The NAB Conference (http://www.nab.org/) takes place between April 22-27 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Last year, Apple announced (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/04/20050417134643.shtml)
Final Cut Pro 5, Motion 2, SoundTrack Pro and DVD Pro 4 HD.

The new 17" MacBook Pro is said to be similar in form factor to the current 15" MacBook Pro but offer faster speeds, more storage, and, of course, a 17" display.

There are also hints that Final Cut Pro 6.0 could be sighted as well as potential updates to Apple's other Pro applications.

denial
Apr 19, 2006, 10:40 AM
The same article also notes that the ibook replacement (macbook) has been pushed back to a "next month" timeline.

geerlingguy
Apr 19, 2006, 10:41 AM
Nothing but good news here. My dad will be going :).

He's interested in a MacBook Pro, now that Boot Camp and Parallels have been released. He runs a few apps for his IT job that are Windows-only... but he loves using his G5 at home.

A 17" MBP would be good for pros wanting more screen real-estate, but not necessarily the greater portability of a smaller laptop.

dagger01
Apr 19, 2006, 10:41 AM
I'm gonna be really pissed if the FC 6.0 is released next week. I *JUST* sent the PO out for the 5.1 upgrade of the suite!

It would be nice to see the 17" MacBook Pro released. I'll bet it's a monster!

Lord Blackadder
Apr 19, 2006, 10:44 AM
17" laptops are so big they should put folding legs on them so they can double as lawnchairs. :rolleyes:

I'm curious to see what performance enhancements it has - I'm sure it will be a monster.

bretm
Apr 19, 2006, 10:45 AM
I'm gonna be really pissed if the FC 6.0 is released next week. I *JUST* sent the PO out for the 5.1 upgrade of the suite!

I doubt it. Apple would surely stage a keynote of sorts. But they're not having one. Just a booth.

Surreal
Apr 19, 2006, 10:48 AM
I planned on putting my piggy bank money into my bank account before NAB for this very reason, so i do indeed hope this is true. i do not care if these are announced and not shipping until june when the 2.33 chips come. KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE.

But if this is wrong i will weep with bitterness so pure it will be spoken of to children in four generations.

Blackadder, i agreed until i open reason and logic and had side by side windows with a decent amount of space in logic. tears of joy man.

shigzeo
Apr 19, 2006, 10:50 AM
17" laptops are so big they should put folding legs on them so they can double as lawnchairs. :rolleyes:

I'm curious to see what performance enhancements it has - I'm sure it will be a monster.

Lord Black Adder, you should be ashamed of yourself! Haha, I dream of a 17 inch MBP for well, none other than a bit of cs2 and of course, bootcamp gaming.

If I could have it for just pure unadulterated fun and spelling mistakes, I would take it... My little go getter ibook g4 can get a new batter for portability, but really, I dare say power is paramount in my book at the moment!

How dare you...:eek:

darh
I doubt it. Apple would surely stage a keynote of sorts. But they're not having one. Just a booth.

i tougth they would have a press conference on sunday actually

Surreal

i noticed this too. but hopefully it's just a surprise or something. (i just really want the thing dangit)

Danksi
Apr 19, 2006, 10:51 AM

It's likely to be announced, but unlikely to be 'available'. Apple are currently running a promotion (http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/fc_promo_popup_ca.html) that ends 26th June. My guess is the next Studio version will be made available some time after that.

I'm waiting to hear what the next version will have and how much, then decide whether to get 5.1 or the next version (6?).

iGuy
Apr 19, 2006, 10:52 AM

Although it looks a lot bigger, if you take the trouble to compare the 15" MBP or 15" PB dimensions to those of the 17" PB, you'll see that the 17" is just slightly larger.

Not really that much more trouble to lug around.

Given the excessive heat issues with the current 15" MBP, I'm begining to think that a 17" form factor that allows better heat dissipation may well be the better buy.

~iGuy

twoodcc
Apr 19, 2006, 10:53 AM
good news. but hopefully they'll announce the Macbook also

B-Dog
Apr 19, 2006, 10:55 AM
Has Apple ever released hardware at one of these events?

sparksinspace
Apr 19, 2006, 10:55 AM
the only rumors one seems to hear is that 12" is dead, makes me wonder why, does anybody know whether the sales figures for these machines have been bad or what could be the reason for the apparent lack of interest of Apple to make them?

sartinsauce
Apr 19, 2006, 10:57 AM
Figured something like this was coming.

NAB is a huge event. Have no doubts, it's a BIG deal for the North American Continent. Apple claims to produce "professional video products" (some might say prosumer), so there presence there is always strong.

Additionally, things have been pretty quiet lately on the hardware front. It's time for Cupertino to drop a new bomb.

Then again, slow and steady is supposed to win the race...

KaiMac
Apr 19, 2006, 11:00 AM
the only rumors one seems to hear is that 12" is dead, makes me wonder why, does anybody know whether the sales figures for these machines have been bad or what could be the reason for the apparent lack of interest of Apple to make them?

Based on the heat problems with the 15" MBP, i would guess cooling the 12" MBP with a duo core chip might have something to do with it. After using the 15" MBP at the Apple store several times, I passed on buying one of these units because of how hot they run. Hopefully the 17" will perform better if it has more room to cool. This could be negated by putting a faster chip in the unit though. Gonna have to wait and see. I prefer the 17" MBP if the heat issue isn't there.

sartinsauce
Apr 19, 2006, 11:00 AM
Has Apple ever released hardware at one of these events?

I'm pretty sure that the 12" and 17" Powerbook G4s were simultaneously released at NAB in 2003.

Anyone else remember if that's correct or not?

Lord Blackadder
Apr 19, 2006, 11:01 AM
Although it looks a lot bigger, if you take the trouble to compare the 15" MBP or 15" PB dimensions to those of the 17" PB, you'll see that the 17" is just slightly larger.~iGuy

I was being only half serious, but both the 15" and 17" are a little big for my tastes. I won't deny that the screen on the 17" is a revelation though - I just wouldn't want to lug one around.

If I was buying a large-screen laptop though, I would probably skip the 15" and go straight for the 17".

Heat dissapation is still an issue too, so the better cooling of the 17" is a factor.

twoodcc
Apr 19, 2006, 11:02 AM
I'm pretty sure that the 12" and 17" Powerbook G4s were simultaneously released at NAB in 2003.

i don't know, but i hope you are right

Apr 19, 2006, 11:02 AM
I just hope they release a strong MB 12"/13" offering soon; my trusty G3 iBook is chugging along well, but I would love to purchase a brand new Mac notebook to replace it in the next 12 months... :)

Chris Bangle
Apr 19, 2006, 11:04 AM
It makes sense that apple will launch them at NAB... I read somewhere that there will be a press conference so no keynote will be needed. Im not bothered that there wont be a keynote because theyve been a bit dull recently.

jholzner
Apr 19, 2006, 11:07 AM

Nope, they were released at MacWorld 2003.

http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/1565701

manu chao
Apr 19, 2006, 11:07 AM

They were released in January in San Francisco.

MovieCutter
Apr 19, 2006, 11:10 AM

12" and 17" were released at MacWorld San Francisco in January of 2003. Apple however did announce the Dual 2.7Ghz Power Mac G5 on or around NAB last year. More on topic...anyone want to buy a 15" 2.16 MacBook Pro with a 100GB 7200RPM drive and 2GB RAM?? No whines, or dead pixels... he he he

RBMaraman
Apr 19, 2006, 11:13 AM

FYI: For the past two years, Apple has announced new versions of FCP at NAB, but they are not available until sometime in the summer.

No Keynote, simply a press release on Sunday and an updated Apple homepage.

Flash3441
Apr 19, 2006, 11:13 AM
Based on the heat problems with the 15" MBP, i would guess cooling the 12" MBP with a duo core chip might have something to do with it. After using the 15" MBP at the Apple store several times, I passed on buying one of these units because of how hot they run. Hopefully the 17" will perform better if it has more room to cool. This could be negated by putting a faster chip in the unit though. Gonna have to wait and see. I prefer the 17" MBP if the heat issue isn't there.

Unless I'm mistaken, I thought the Core Duo ran cooler than the Pentium M and the G4. If those processors could run in 12" laptops, the Core Duo should not be a problem in 13.3".

manu chao
Apr 19, 2006, 11:19 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, I thought the Core Duo ran cooler than the Pentium M and the G4. If those processors could run in 12" laptops, the Core Duo should not be a problem in 13.3".

The MBP has a bigger battery but about the same battery life than the last G4 models. That indicates a higher consumption, it could come from the screen, the graphic card or the bundle motherboard+processor.

mi5moav
Apr 19, 2006, 11:21 AM
This of course should also coincide with the release of the new Quicktake and
QuicktakeHD line of video cameras from Apple. Can't wait... the Apple Store offering for video cameras has gotten pretty sparten as of late. Especially since dropping all Sony products, even Sony still cameras.

bigandy
Apr 19, 2006, 11:29 AM
mmmm, sounds like NAB may be good :)

TVGenius
Apr 19, 2006, 11:43 AM
I can't see Apple jumping into Pro video cameras... just wouldn't work.

I believe the last three years for the releases of FCP 4, FCP HD (4.5), and Final Cut Studio, they held events Sunday night. Not a keynote, but more of an industry gathering.

And Monday my boss and I both received e-mails to a special reception for educational users of FCP. (Our community college has been offering FCP courses (now FC Studio) since 2002)

Here's the invite, sans RSVP link...

milo
Apr 19, 2006, 11:44 AM

Well, it's not dead, just replaced by a 13, and at that size they're merging the powerbook and ibook into one model.

ChrisA
Apr 19, 2006, 11:48 AM

My guess is that because the 12" LCD is narrower than a full size keyboard you may as well put in a 13.5" wide format screen and make the macbook shorter. I think overall you can make a smaller notebook if the LCD is the same size and SHAPE as the keyboard.

I'm looking for a small and very ruggid notebook. The wide screen would be nice for some things but not vertical shots made in a DSLR with it's 2:3 frame.

rxse7en
Apr 19, 2006, 11:57 AM
Any chance of Merom making an appearance in the 17"? If not, I'll continue waiting patiently. :D I understand the value in the Duo Cores, but I'm looking to replace my G4 'book and my desktop dual G4 with a monster machine.

B

Plecky
Apr 19, 2006, 12:03 PM
I can't recall all the times I've read on these forums that there's no point in having both a iBook 12" and Powerbook 12" because they are so similar. So much so that the 12" PowerBook didn't really get revised in the last PowerPC revision with the 15" and 17" got better screen real estate. While I see major differences between the 14" iBook and 15" PowerBook, I can't see as large of a difference between the 12" models. That being said, going to 13.3 inches allows for apple to tone down there portable line and streamline it a little further. For example, all 13.3" models be called a MacBook but come in multiple (3 configurations?). The first being the budget config. with a core solo, integrated graphics, combo drive, etc. to replace the 12" iBook at $999-1099. A middle line model (replacing the 14" iBook) with 1.67 core duo at around $1299-1399, integrated graphics, super drive. Then a last config. to replace the 12" PowerBook with 1.83 core duo, superdrive, dedicated graphics card (Radeon x1300?) with 64/128 mb of vram priced at $1499-1699. Oh, one last thing to seperate them will be bells and whistles of course. Base 512 in the low end model, 512 in the middle end model, and 2x512 (1 gig) in the high end config. That's my best guess at least, makes sense to me too - especially if these new models are like 1-1.1" thin, remain around or under the current weight of the smaller screen 12" models of 4.6-4.9 pounds, although they may differ on battery life, unless of course we see the low-voltage core's in there but I doubt that due to their high price tags, but maybe on a high end configuration to replace the 12" PowerBook. But I always thought the only hardware (not design) difference between the 12" iBook and 12" PowerBook was the dedicated graphics card and superdrive, and a slightly higher-clocked processor. I think these two lines could and should merge seamlessly but it's the design that will make people upset. Whether it's wanting the durability and trademark white of the iBooks, the Aluminum of the PowerBooks, or those who want to see something in black to match their iPod/Nano.

MrCrowbar
Apr 19, 2006, 12:07 PM

I just skipped through the video of NAB 2003. It was held by Phil Shiller and only had software in it, no hardware. The 12" and 17" Powerbooks were shown at Macworld 2003, 3 months earlier

CrazyWingman
Apr 19, 2006, 12:12 PM
My guess is that because the 12" LCD is narrower than a full size keyboard...

Come again? Apple's website lists the 12" PB as having a full size keyboard. I own one, and it does not feel narrow to me. Looking at the photo gallery, it appears that they use the same keyboard in the 12" that they use in the 17". I haven't taken a ruler into an Apple store to confirm it, but by all observations I've made, the 12" LCD is not any narrower than a full size keyboard.

-Staunch supporter of keeping the 12" form factor around

MrCrowbar
Apr 19, 2006, 12:15 PM
[...]I think these two lines [iBook and 12" powerbook] could and should merge seamlessly but it's the design that will make people upset. Whether it's wanting the durability and trademark white of the iBooks, the Aluminum of the PowerBooks, or those who want to see something in black to match their iPod/Nano.

It's true I care very much about design. The 12" powerbook is IMO much nicer than the 12" iBook. Less borders around the screen, aluminum, good keyboard etc. It would be really sad if Apple dropped the small pros. Look at that Asustech. The presence of an above 2GHz model shows there's a market for small but powerful portables, right?

MrCrowbar
Apr 19, 2006, 12:20 PM
Come again? Apple's website lists the 12" PB as having a full size keyboard. I own one, and it does not feel narrow to me. Looking at the photo gallery, it appears that they use the same keyboard in the 12" that they use in the 17". I haven't taken a ruler into an Apple store to confirm it, but by all observations I've made, the 12" LCD is not any narrower than a full size keyboard.

The keyboards are indeed the same in the whole powerbook line. I think they use the same in the MBP too. Would't it be cool to keep the 12" powerbook form factor but having a widescreen display inside? Sort of making the the border of the screen very thin so a WXGA fits in there? You could use the space in the top for the iSight. :rolleyes:

I join CrazyWingman for keeping the 12" form factor. Add it to your sig if you think the same.

Plecky
Apr 19, 2006, 12:21 PM

That's true but maybe by making it wider they can allow for better heat-dissapation, larger fan out the back or something? Same reason people are saying the 17" might get better heat dissapation then the 15", maybe such is the case with the 13.3" vs. 12.1"? Regardless, maybe that extra wide room will allow for speakers near the side of the keyboard like they do in the 15/17" models. I know on the iBooks they put the speakers above the keyboards, but haven't spent enough quality time with the 12" PowerBook, but do the speakers hide under the keyboard? That's my best guess but I figured you be the one to ask.

boncellis
Apr 19, 2006, 12:28 PM
The 17" MBP isn't much of a stretch, considering Apple's timing seems so disrupted this year.

Why didn't they wait to introduce Aperture 1.1 at a show like this? I suppose it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the show--someone correct me if I'm wrong.

ddcrandall
Apr 19, 2006, 12:31 PM
...I know on the iBooks they put the speakers above the keyboards, but haven't spent enough quality time with the 12" PowerBook, but do the speakers hide under the keyboard? That's my best guess but I figured you be the one to ask.

No. The speakers on the 12" PB are actually quite clever. They are hidden on the back of the computer. When the computer is open, the sound hits the screen and bounces back at the user. It's acoustically genius. My friend has a 12" iBook, which has the same speakers but they sit right above the keyboard, pointing up. He doesn't get nearly as nice an auido experience as I do.

~Shard~
Apr 19, 2006, 12:33 PM
Any chance of Merom making an appearance in the 17"? If not, I'll continue waiting patiently. :D

No. Merom will not appear in any Macs until late 06 or more likely early 07. :cool:

Are you just waiting for a new 17" MBP, or are you specifically waiting for Merom? If it's the latter, why?

syklee26
Apr 19, 2006, 12:34 PM
interesting how no one talks about the price of this thing.

if they do charge $2499 for this, then it is possible that 15 inch one's price might fall.

if they charge $2999, then back to the old days.

Plecky
Apr 19, 2006, 12:35 PM
It's true I care very much about design. The 12" powerbook is IMO much nicer than the 12" iBook. Less borders around the screen, aluminum, good keyboard etc. It would be really sad if Apple dropped the small pros. Look at that Asustech. The presence of an above 2GHz model shows there's a market for small but powerful portables, right?

Good point, had I not gone all out on my current notebook and had a portable to last me a good wait I probably would've waited for the smallest pro-line. Last year before the Intel announcement (obviously not after the announcement) I was very close to picking up a 12" PowerBook but it lacked some "power" features. Namely the widescreen display which I personally prefer, a higher resolution (1024 x 768, c'mon), backlit keyboard (not huge but something I always thought was cool/unique by apple), ram (only up to 1.256, even the 12" iBook now can handle more, why not build in 512 or at least allow two slots for up to 2 gigs?), less connections (although does have a modem port unlike my MBP) but at the time I was thinking where's the PC Card slot (now I have a express slot and am awaiting a SD card reader to put in there or a smaller form factor FrontRow remote or iPod that could just hide in there, keep on shrinking nano and/or FR-remote. Also think you have to use a mini-DVI adapter which makes sense but hopefully with the new form factor and/or removal of the modem they can throw a full-size DVI input on them. There's just little things like that, and of course now you have to take things like IR-port for front row and isight camera into considoration. But I always wanted the 12" PowerBook to posess a lot of those little things that can be found on the 15"/17" relatives. To sum up, heard of intel switch last june, bought a mac mini to get me by, waited and hoped for a powerful 12/13.3" IntelBook (iBook or Power), got a 15" MacBook Pro, a little bigger then I wanted - definitely all the features I wanted (well I take that back, would've liked a 8x dual-layer superdrive). In a year or less time I'm sure I'll be wishing I had a 64-bit processor (ala merom), and eventually down the road wishing I had better battery life (when this kind of power can be maintained for 6 hours instead of the 3-3.5 I regularly get), and a different optical drive when HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Readers/Writers hit market. For that last one regarding the optical drive though, I may be in the market for a new computer by the time that HD-war is over and there able to be in laptops affordably so... That's my ramblin':rolleyes:

macgeek2005
Apr 19, 2006, 12:45 PM
What kind of graphics card do you think the 17" MacBook Pro will have? I'm guessing either X1800/256 or X1600/512.

ipacmm
Apr 19, 2006, 12:48 PM
This would be nice to see the 17" MBP but I would also hope that it will come out with some newer specs over the MBP's right now...

Plecky
Apr 19, 2006, 12:49 PM
What kind of graphics card do you think the 17" MacBook Pro will have? I'm guessing either X1800/256 or X1600/512.

On that note, what kind of battery/battery life do you think it will have? I mean, larger screen and assuming updated brightness... More powerful graphics card, possibly more power hungry? 100+ whr battery with similar 3-3.5 hour battery life or same battery as 15" MBP with 2-3 hour battery? Usually large screen laptops get awful battery life, that's why I'm amazed the currently 17" PowerBook gets 5.5 hours, or so they claim, don't know if I buy it...

iGary
Apr 19, 2006, 12:50 PM
I be looking for 17" PB price drops. :D

You all can have that Intel "thing." :p

avus
Apr 19, 2006, 12:58 PM

It is about time that Apple give an option of either ATi Mobility FireGL or nVidia Quadra in 15" and 17" MacBook Pro because they are PRO models! And they should offer at least WSXGA (1600x1200 or 1680 X 1050) screen resolution for 15"...

kenn8theocho
Apr 19, 2006, 01:06 PM
When is apple going to release a 12" Macbook Pro? Is this even one of their plans? I know apple is to release a Macbook to replace the 12" ibook, but what is to become of the 12" powerbook? :mad:

Peace
Apr 19, 2006, 01:08 PM
When is apple going to release a 12" Macbook Pro? Is this even one of their plans? I know apple is to release a Macbook to replace the 12" ibook, but what is to become of the 12" powerbook? :mad:

With the transition to Intel comes a new laptop line-up.

13.3" MacBook w/BTO options
15" MacBook Pro w/BTO options
17" MacBook Pro w/BTO options

ImAlwaysRight
Apr 19, 2006, 01:14 PM
No. The speakers on the 12" PB are actually quite clever. They are hidden on the back of the computer. When the computer is open, the sound hits the screen and bounces back at the user. It's acoustically genius. My friend has a 12" iBook, which has he same speakers but they sit right above the keyboard, pointing up. He doesn't get nearly as nice an auido experience as I do.
ALL laptop speaker "experiences" are rather horrible, regardless of the design, IMHO.

The 17" laptop release is pretty exciting.

Consider this: If Apple is going to be ready with the 17" laptop immediately, and the 13" will be ready to ship mid-May (about 3 weeks later), why not just annouce the 13-inchers along with the 17"? Apple has done that type of thing before. Heck, the MacBook Pro's took longer to get to most folks than that. I'm hoping we'll see a MacBook announcement with the 17-incher release (/fingers crossed). But, Apple HAS announced one product and then weeks later upgraded another with little fanfare. But with the 13-inch MacBook supposedly being some big redesign (naturally, different screen size), I can see Apple wanting to announce it now at a show and get more publicity than just a single silent release in a few more weeks.

When is apple going to release a 12" Macbook Pro? Is this even one of their plans? I know apple is to release a Macbook to replace the 12" ibook, but what is to become of the 12" powerbook? :mad:12"/14" iBook and 12" PB will all be merged into the 13" MacBook.

Photorun
Apr 19, 2006, 01:17 PM
Then again, if the 17" is at the, IMHO, RIDICULOUS price point of $3000 or $3200 that extra 2" doesn't mean jack. You can get, admittedly crappy, peecee Windoze laptops with 17" of screen real estate for well under two grand. Yeah yeah and they're only peecees, whatever, Apple's mark up on their 17"s are close to criminal.

macgeek2005
Apr 19, 2006, 01:22 PM
Then again, if the 17" is at the, IMHO, RIDICULOUS price point of $3000 or $3200 that extra 2" doesn't mean jack. You can get, admittedly crappy, peecee Windoze laptops with 17" of screen real estate for well under two grand. Yeah yeah and they're only peecees, whatever, Apple's mark up on their 17"s are close to criminal.

Don't. ****ing. Compare. Macs. To. PC's. PC's Suck. Mac's Rule. I don't give a **** what parts are in the PC. You don't ****ing get OS X.

eVolcre
Apr 19, 2006, 01:22 PM

3 grand??? My 15" MBP was 3 grand. Sounds too low. And, I bet if you spec the PC laptops to the 17" MBP, you're looking at a 300 to 300 difference. OSX and the design are worth that much for me.

I was actually waiting for a 17". I'm on the road for 3 to 4 months at a time and needed a true desktop replacement and the larger screen for DVDs. Anyway, I pulled the trigger on a 15" MBP and can't be happier. I just don't see how I could have carted the 17" around. The real estate on the MBP is sufficient and when you throw in Expose .. it's very very convenient.

It'll last me for a good 2 years at which point (when I return to the US) I can pick up an iMac and a MacBook or whatever they're called at that point ..

:)

But, it'll be fun to see what they bring out. Do you guys expect a new form factor because that's the ONE thing that would piss me off.

eV

eVolcre
Apr 19, 2006, 01:23 PM
Don't. ****ing. Compare. Macs. To. PC's. PC's Suck. Mac's Rule. I don't give a **** what parts are in the PC. You don't ****ing get OS X.

Your attempt at sarcasm remains just that ... an attempt.

Think S_U_B_T_L_E :rolleyes:

eV

MrCrowbar
Apr 19, 2006, 01:26 PM
(Off topic, sorry)

I've found Apple's announcement for April 1:

Apple-VideoLAN partnership announced, Mac VLC to be Intel only (2006-04-011 April 2006) In an effort to help Apple with its Intel transition, the VideoLAN team, distributor of the industry leading cross-platform media player VLC, announced its intent to drop support for the now outdated G4 and G5 based series of Mac computers. Read the full Press Release http://www.videolan.org/pr2006-2.html
Note: Look at the date...

twoodcc
Apr 19, 2006, 01:29 PM
(Off topic, sorry)

I've found Apple's announcement for April 1:

Apple-VideoLAN partnership announced, Mac VLC to be Intel only (2006-04-011 April 2006) In an effort to help Apple with its Intel transition, the VideoLAN team, distributor of the industry leading cross-platform media player VLC, announced its intent to drop support for the now outdated G4 and G5 based series of Mac computers. Read the full Press Release http://www.videolan.org/pr2006-2.html
Note: Look at the date...

and what date would that be?

MrCrowbar
Apr 19, 2006, 01:31 PM
and what date would that be?

April 1. (Click on the link for detailed info:http://www.videolan.org/pr2006-2.html)

rxse7en
Apr 19, 2006, 01:34 PM
No. Merom will not appear in any Macs until late 06 or more likely early 07. :cool:

Are you just waiting for a new 17" MBP, or are you specifically waiting for Merom? If it's the latter, why?

Waiting for the "instant" 20% processor boost with Merom. I don't think the apps I mainly use are 64-bit enabled anyway. I'm a freelance designer/marketing consultant and in the last year have moved from my home office (dual g4 tower) to the living room to watch my daughter and work from the g4 'book. I've actually been able to produce magazines and multi-page docs on the powerbook--to my surprise--but would prefer more screen real estate and more punch. I work primarily in Adobe Creative Suite 2 (former Xpress advocate) and would like to have more than 2gb of ram and perhaps a 64-bit enabled Photoshop. BTW, anyone know what the Duos use as a replacement for Altivec?

B

Photorun
Apr 19, 2006, 01:34 PM

I'm with ya... BUT... it's still a huge markup on parts... end of discussion.

Photorun
Apr 19, 2006, 01:36 PM
Waiting for the "instant" 20% processor boost with Merom. I don't think the apps I mainly use are 64-bit enabled anyway. I'm a freelance designer/marketing consultant and in the last year have moved from my home office (dual g4 tower) to the living room to watch my daughter and work from the g4 'book. I've actually been able to produce magazines and multi-page docs on the powerbook--to my surprise--but would prefer more screen real estate and more punch. I work primarily in Adobe Creative Suite 2 (former Xpress advocate) and would like to have more than 2gb of ram and perhaps a 64-bit enabled Photoshop. BTW, anyone know what the Duos use as a replacement for Altivec?

B

It will be years before apps or the OS for that matter are all truly 64 bit aware, anybody waiting for Meron under some reason OTHER than a little bit better battery life and a slight boost in speed (having nothing to do with 64 bit BTW) are totally delusional and are very misguided. They're like the same G5 owners who actually think the fact they have 64 bit PPC chips is making them that much faster, they're not, the CPU is.

Chris Bangle
Apr 19, 2006, 01:39 PM
why would they announce 17inch pro before they annonce macbook's.

twoodcc
Apr 19, 2006, 01:41 PM
April 1. (Click on the link for detailed info:http://www.videolan.org/pr2006-2.html)

i did. April 1 is past.

LagunaSol
Apr 19, 2006, 01:41 PM
I'm with ya... BUT... it's still a huge markup on parts... end of discussion.

Every company needs its high-margin products to boost profits.

Go price a Dell XPS laptop or a Sony VAIO...

Peace
Apr 19, 2006, 01:43 PM
Every company needs its high-margin products to boost profits.

Go price a Dell XPS laptop or a Sony VAIO...

I'm glad you mentioned the Dell XPS because their new top of the line dual core laptop gamer has 4 MB RAM

rxse7en
Apr 19, 2006, 01:45 PM
It will be years before apps or the OS for that matter are all truly 64 bit aware, anybody waiting for Meron under some reason OTHER than a little bit better battery life and a slight boost in speed (having nothing to do with 64 bit BTW) are totally delusional and are very misguided. They're like the same G5 owners who actually think the fact they have 64 bit PPC chips is making them that much faster, they're not, the CPU is.

25% increase with a low-end Merom is not a slight boost. http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2715&p=2 Now, if Apple offered the ability to swap procs in the 'books I'd be all over the Dual Core models. Like I said, I would prefer 64-bit for the ability to have more ram for 'shop intensive jobs. I know you weren't addressing me personally, but others may want to know that other laptop vendors will probably make it possible to swap out procs in their offerings with Merom being 100% compatible with Yonah architecture.

B

whoooaaahhhh
Apr 19, 2006, 01:46 PM
Consider this: If Apple is going to be ready with the 17" laptop immediately, and the 13" will be ready to ship mid-May (about 3 weeks later), why not just annouce the 13-inchers along with the 17"? Apple has done that type of thing before. Heck, the MacBook Pro's took longer to get to most folks than that. I'm hoping we'll see a MacBook announcement with the 17-incher release (/fingers crossed). But, Apple HAS announced one product and then weeks later upgraded another with little fanfare. But with the 13-inch MacBook supposedly being some big redesign (naturally, different screen size), I can see Apple wanting to announce it now at a show and get more publicity than just a single silent release in a few more weeks.

This is probably not going to happen, it's the wrong environment to announce a MacBook 13.3". NAB is a professional video show. I worked at the Sony booth last year and I can tell you most people there are looking for professional products. They could definitely announce the 17", that makes sense, it's the most powerful apple portable.

But to announce the new weakest computer that Apple has at a Pro convention? It doesn't really make sense. It'd be like walking up to a racecar driver and goin "Hey check out that new saturn..." or better still... "Kia kicks ass"

Peace
Apr 19, 2006, 01:48 PM
This is probably not going to happen, it's the wrong environment to announce a MacBook 13.3". NAB is a professional video show. I worked at the Sony booth last year and I can tell you most people there are looking for professional products. They could definitely announce the 17", that makes sense, it's the most powerful apple portable.

But to announce the new weakest computer that Apple has at a Pro convention? It doesn't really make sense. It'd be like walking up to a racecar driver and goin "Hey check out that new saturn..." or better still... "Kia kicks ass"

The MacBook won't be announced AT the NAB show but WILL be announced.

cgmpowers
Apr 19, 2006, 01:49 PM
Wasn't it shortly before the release of Aperture that there was wild speculation that Apple was developing a digital camera of sorts. I remember people saying it was either a high end pro camera or some snazzy add-on for the iPod to record photos and videos.

I love Apple to death but the "dreams" that fire the speculation frenzy are sometimes a bight higher than what's released at these events.

Maybe that's why in part that everyone was disappointed with the iPod HiFi was released...

Christopher

I believe the last three years for the releases of FCP 4, FCP HD (4.5), and Final Cut Studio, they held events Sunday night. Not a keynote, but more of an industry gathering.

And Monday my boss and I both received e-mails to a special reception for educational users of FCP. (Our community college has been offering FCP courses (now FC Studio) since 2002)

Boggle
Apr 19, 2006, 02:09 PM
I'd like to see comparative accuracy stats between the prdictions of Think Secret and those of a drunk person playing Keno for 6 hours. I think they'd be close.

Of course that won't stop me from checking this site 5 times a day.

Dreadnought
Apr 19, 2006, 02:12 PM
Guys, I'll let you know how she looks :D I'm going to the NAB! :p

boncellis
Apr 19, 2006, 02:19 PM
I'd like to see comparative accuracy stats between the prdictions of Think Secret and those of a drunk person playing Keno for 6 hours. I think they'd be close.

Of course that won't stop me from checking this site 5 times a day.

ROFL, I love people from Fairfax--I miss you guys. ;)

I think MR might eventually add a disclaimer for anything coming out of TS, at least until they get something relatively significant right. What was the last thing they predicted accurately?

simie
Apr 19, 2006, 02:21 PM

I've not sent mine off - i am just going to get FCP studio 6 when its available, in any case the dvds will contain the universal binary versions.

timmillwood
Apr 19, 2006, 02:25 PM
The 17" MBP pro is very tempting to replace my Powermac, but i think the new powermac will be faster and speed is more important than portability.

but if there is no much in it between the new powermac and 17" MBP i will get the 17" MBP:D

Di9it8
Apr 19, 2006, 02:28 PM
Additionally, things have been pretty quiet lately on the hardware front. It's time for Cupertino to drop a new bomb.

Then again, slow and steady is supposed to win the race...

What about a 19" or 20" MacBook pro as a showstopper:D

milo
Apr 19, 2006, 02:28 PM
interesting how no one talks about the price of this thing.

if they do charge $2499 for this, then it is possible that 15 inch one's price might fall.

if they charge $2999, then back to the old days.

Why would you expect a price increase when the 15 didn't get one?

pavetheforest
Apr 19, 2006, 02:33 PM
god, i'm so fed up with all this crap ..........i'm about to just buy an ibook...i need an affordable mac laptop..........macbook MAYBE released in may, shipping in what...june july??!?.ldskfl;aksdjfasldfkjalskdfjalskdfj

Mitch1984
Apr 19, 2006, 02:40 PM
What about a 19" or 20" MacBook pro as a showstopper:D

Or a 50" Macbook pro.
They could fit a CRT screen into the roof of a suitcase
Also really big keys in the bottom have that you have to punch with your fist to type.
God knows how you'd manage to press Ctrl Alt Delete if you running windows under Boot Camp. (Two fists and a foot)

MrCrowbar
Apr 19, 2006, 02:48 PM
20" would be nice for video editors indeed. And there would be enough space for a num pad :o
When I look at my 20" screen... 20" is not too big. Of course that won't fit into a backback but the 17" does not either. So the MacBook Pro goes in 5" steps now? 20", 15", 10" ? I'm sure you can squeeze the standard keyboard into a 10 laptop (maybe diagonally :p ) :D

I like the punching idea ;)
Makes you do some sports while working.

puckhead193
Apr 19, 2006, 02:49 PM
maybe the 17" will have FW 800:rolleyes:

milo
Apr 19, 2006, 02:52 PM
maybe the 17" will have FW 800:rolleyes:

And maybe pigs will fly.

ImAlwaysRight
Apr 19, 2006, 02:57 PM
It will be years before apps or the OS for that matter are all truly 64 bit aware, anybody waiting for Meron under some reason OTHER than a little bit better battery life and a slight boost in speed (having nothing to do with 64 bit BTW) are totally delusional and are very misguided.AidenShaw tends to think Merom is da Bomb and Yonah laptops are a waste of time. :rolleyes:

This is probably not going to happen, it's the wrong environment to announce a MacBook 13.3". NAB is a professional video show. I worked at the Sony booth last year and I can tell you most people there are looking for professional products.
So are you saying no pro would ever use a 12 or 13" laptop? But, if the thing ends up having integrated graphics, well, yeah, better announce the MacBook at a Circus convention or something. But if it has an X1400/X1600 128MB in the high end, no reason Apple wouldn't announce. Especially if it is replacing the iBook AND Powerbook 12".

JAT
Apr 19, 2006, 02:58 PM
To get a 17" Dell brick even similar to Apple's specs costs well over $3000. Put both at 2.16 processor and 100GB 7200rpm drive (using a $2900 MBP as comparison, assume $3500 or less for a 17" MBP, I'd say). And the Dell doesn't have Gb networking, 6 pin Firewire, a screen that can match, etc. And, of course, no OSX. It does have more choices in RAM and graphics, and a higher resolution screen (but not as pretty), but if you go to top of the line on graphics, it's over $4K. And if you bump RAM to 4GB, the price is over $6000.

Sony doesn't seem to have a 17" this week, or I'd use them instead of Dell. Better screen is available from Sony, like Apple's. And usually Gb ethernet, IIRC. Dell's top of the line Ultrasharp screen is only as good as Sony's standard model.

Hardly suggests that Apple is expensive for no reason.

~Shard~
Apr 19, 2006, 03:00 PM
AidenShaw tends to think Merom is da Bomb and Yonah laptops are a waste of time. :rolleyes:

No way man, Penryn is where it's at... :p :cool:

JAT
Apr 19, 2006, 03:01 PM
Or a 50" Macbook pro.
They could fit a CRT screen into the roof of a suitcase
Also really big keys in the bottom have that you have to punch with your fist to type.
God knows how you'd manage to press Ctrl Alt Delete if you running windows under Boot Camp. (Two fists and a foot)
No, just a 15" model with a built-in DLP projector on the bottom.

Though, I like your keyboard idea. Reminiscent of Twister. Could make for some interesting new video games....

Peace
Apr 19, 2006, 03:03 PM
Not to be off topic but in less than one hour Apple holds it's Q2 conference call that includes forward thinking and projections.Might wanna listen in eh?

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/earningsq206/

ImAlwaysRight
Apr 19, 2006, 03:16 PM
I wonder if the 17" laptops will also have an underclocked GPU like the 15" models do (http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=5984)? :(

maxvamp
Apr 19, 2006, 03:49 PM
No, just a 15" model with a built-in DLP projector on the bottom.....

Be careful, a misaligned projector could lead to fried eggs....

Max.

modernpixel
Apr 19, 2006, 03:51 PM
It'd be nice if Apple released a new version of Shake, streamlined to go with the Final Cut Studio interface and offered it for a lower price. Maybe have a Final Cut Studio package as is, and Final Cut Studio Extreme package with Shake. I'd love for Shake to be affordable - it'd be a great program to learn.

sdavis8888
Apr 19, 2006, 04:15 PM
To get a 17" Dell brick even similar to Apple's specs costs well over $3000. Put both at 2.16 processor and 100GB 7200rpm drive (using a $2900 MBP as comparison, assume $3500 or less for a 17" MBP, I'd say). And the Dell doesn't have Gb networking, 6 pin Firewire, a screen that can match, etc. And, of course, no OSX. It does have more choices in RAM and graphics, and a higher resolution screen (but not as pretty), but if you go to top of the line on graphics, it's over $4K. And if you bump RAM to 4GB, the price is over $6000.

Hardly suggests that Apple is expensive for no reason.

I just went to Dell's site, starting with a base model Inspiron E1705 I selected Core Duo at 2.16GHz, 1 GB Dual Channel Ram (free upgrade right now), UXGA 17" Screen, 100 GB 7200RPM HD, 8x DVD+/-RW, 802.11g, Bluetooth, and a 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400, this gives a current price of $2,411. Switch to a 100 GB 5400 RPM HD and and a Core Duo at 2.0GHz and your price is $1,861. I would love to see an Apple 17" MacBook Pro at both/either of those price points.

Apple charges a premium for their hardware/software package.

MrCrowbar
Apr 19, 2006, 04:15 PM

Though, I like your keyboard idea. Reminiscent of Twister. Could make for some interesting new video games....

Lol. I can picure two people twisting around on that huge keyboard for shortcut combos. :D :p

MrCrowbar
Apr 19, 2006, 04:19 PM
I wonder if the 17" laptops will also have an underclocked GPU like the 15" models do (http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=5984)? :(

I thought ATI cards could throttle down on their own when run on battery. Kinda sad it's underclocked even when plugged in. I guess this is heat related, the MBP seems to get really hot.

DHagan4755
Apr 19, 2006, 05:32 PM
ThinkSecret has posted an article also saying there will be a 17-inch MacBook Pro at NAB. Expect an announcement Sunday night?

Photorun
Apr 19, 2006, 05:33 PM
UXGA 17" Screen, 100 GB 7200RPM HD, 8x DVD+/-RW, 802.11g, Bluetooth, and a 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400, this gives a current price of $2,411. Switch to a 100 GB 5400 RPM HD and and a Core Duo at 2.0GHz and your price is $1,861.

Apple charges a premium for their hardware/software package.

Eggzacktly, but for some people here the truth hurts, Apple charges ridiculous premiums for certain products all in hardware markups. I DON'T want OS Xon a FUGLY peecee mind you, I hope they never open that up, Apple does need to make money and the money is in the hardware, just I wish they wouldn't pad their margins out so blatantly that we still get that "I'd have bought a Mac but they're so expensive" crap. If they'd just lower the price a little they could realistically catch a lot more market share, instead they're still considered computer for those with money but not "real" computers (whatever the heck that means).

15" models should all be under $2000 with the top one being maybe $1999, the 17" should start at $2199 or something or less. It's not like the screen cost that much more wholesale and those who want a 17" get a 17", those who want 15" want a 15", even if they were the same price they'd still probably sell the same. But nooo, Apple thinks bigger, let's jack that price up so our profit margin is at least double it's cost ($1500) which I would bet anyone it is. 1/2 profit? Say it never happened naysayers? It was well known the original Apple Classic was 1/2 all profit.

TVGenius
Apr 19, 2006, 06:21 PM
Every year there's a thread of some wonderful piece of hardware supposedly going to be released at NAB, and every year it's just a new version of FCP and Motion, or Shake, or some other software. Granted, last year they were demoing Tiger, but that wasn't that revolutionary at the time.

And I know some of the pros will disagree, but I don't think Apple looks at NAB as the platform to launch a 17" MBP. Pro editors, for the most part, don't use laptops. We want loaded G5s with 4, 8, or better yet 16 GB of RAM, massive hard drive space and, if you're a serious pro, you're NOT using firewire to connect your camera or deck, you've got an AJA or similar card handling all that stuff. Last I saw, PB's had no free PCI slots. They may be good for editing news or other small projects, but to 90% of the people at NAB, if you're editing video, laptops don't cut it. If I had to do half the projects I do on our 3 month old loaded PowerBook, I'd go insane waiting for it to render, compared with my almost-3-year old Dual 2.0 G5.

I'll be at the right side doors to the Lower South Hall at 9am Monday, but I'm fully confident that there's not going to be a 17" MacBookPro banner hanging off the corner of the building Apple always has their banners on. Simple as that.

ImAlwaysRight
Apr 19, 2006, 06:53 PM
ThinkSecret has posted an article also saying there will be a 17-inch MacBook Pro at NAB. Expect an announcement Sunday night?
Since the TS article says: " Apple is expected to roll-out the 17-inch MacBook Pro in the next week, sources report, but a MacBook announcement is no longer slated to arrive in tandem, as previously reported.," I kinda expect the MacBook to be announced next week. TS has been way off base this year. :p

whoooaaahhhh
Apr 19, 2006, 07:37 PM

Actually that's a really really good idea... I stake the claim right now as having said that something to this effect is both in the works and totally going to exist a year or two from now.

It wouldn't be too hard, cept for the mad cooling you'd need...:rolleyes:

ZigFilm
Apr 19, 2006, 07:45 PM
Probably a stupid question (but you would expect that from mainly a PC guy :p ) but do you think, IF a 17" MBP is announced and IF they are shipping in the next couple of weeks, the prices on the exisitng MBPs would drop? I was going to go last night to pick one up and I decided to wait when I started to read all these rumors.... I REALLY want one now, though! It's about time I upgrade my PB 160 :D I wish I was going to NAB this year! It's the first time I haven't gone in 7 years... :mad:

Surreal
Apr 19, 2006, 08:04 PM
...Last I saw, PB's had no free PCI slots. They may be good for editing news or other small projects, but to 90% of the people at NAB, if you're editing video, laptops don't cut it. If I had to do half the projects I do on our 3 month old loaded PowerBook, I'd go insane waiting for it to render, compared with my almost-3-year old Dual 2.0 G5.

isnt expresscard PCI Express compliant?

i understand that isnt the exact same...but it is pretty close. 2.5 Gb/s

from the site, it looks like it IS PCI express. just small.

despite my counterclaim, i understand your point, but you don't know ANY pros with a 17"? hard for me to believe.

o and 2GB PC2-5300 modules are finally hitting market. crucial has a $700 module. so pros will be able to hit 4GB portable...that seems like something they'd like to hear.

MrCrowbar
Apr 19, 2006, 08:09 PM
Price drops at Apple? No, not gonna happen. Hardware upgrade are highly more probable. Apple is also about prestige. Somepeople WANT to spend more for a cooler product because everyone knows they are more expensive.

MovieCutter
Apr 19, 2006, 10:14 PM
Anyone wanna buy a two-week old maxxed out, pixel perfect, whine free MacBook Pro 15"??? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=194941) :cool:

Fiveos22
Apr 19, 2006, 10:29 PM

Actually I would much rather have Merom due to its future. Yonah, from all that I have read, is a transition processor. Whoop-dee-doo. Transitions are nice, for early adoptors. I'd rather have something that isn't a step back for the sake of novelty (I consider going from a 32 bit system to a 32 bit system not exactly a step forward...no?) Don't get me wrong, Yonah has proven to be a very strong processor so far...but it still is only a transitional processor.

Merom is what Intel had in mind for an architecture for mobile computing (I also have a problem with Yonah, Pentium M underpinnings, being used in desktop PCs, but that's another issue), Yonah was the early version of what Merom is going to be. It is what I believe Intel is going to use as their mobile architecture for the next 3-4 years. Having a 64 bit processor means that my computer will be viable for the next four years...with the advent of Vista's and 10.5's 64 bit-ness pushing the novel incorporation of 64 bit elements into applications.

Some of us aren't too keen on buying things that don't have staying power (we're not made of money and thus unable to purchase hardware often).

~Shard~
Apr 19, 2006, 10:33 PM
Actually I would much rather have Merom due to its future. Yohan, from all that I have read, is a transition processor. Whoop-dee-doo. Transitions are nice, for early adoptors. I'd rather have something that isn't a step back for the sake of novelty (I consider going from a 32 bit system to a 32 bit system not exactly a step forward...no?) Don't get me wrong, Yonah has proven to be a very strong processor so far...but it still is only a transitional processor.

Merom is what Intel had in mind for an architecture for mobile computing (I also have a problem with Yonah, Pentium M underpinnings, being used in desktop PCs, but that's another issue). Having a 64 bit processor means that my computer will be viable for the next four years...with the advent of Vista's and 10.5's 64 bit-ness pushing the novel incorporation of 64 bit elements into applications.

Some of us aren't too keen on buying things that don't have staying power (we're not made of money and thus unable to purchase hardware often).

Are you going to say the same thing about Merom when Penryn is released in 2 short years? :p :cool: Saying that anything has "staying power" in this industry is pretty naïve if you ask me. ;) :D

iHeartTheApple
Apr 19, 2006, 11:12 PM
Wow! :eek: This thing is going to be a beast! I can't wait to see what kind of specs it's going to be sporting...and whether I will trade my 17" PB up for it or for a 13"/15" MBP...

The screen real estate *is* epic, but I'm starting to feel the size (not the weight) of this thing...:o :(

AidenShaw
Apr 19, 2006, 11:49 PM
Are you going to say the same thing about Merom when Penryn is released in 2 short years?
Penryn will be similar to Merom, just faster, smaller, and use less power. Incremental improvements... Merom will run Penryn code, Penryn will run Merom code.

Merom is 64-bit, Yonah is 32-bit. Major difference. Yonah won't run Merom code.

64-bit advancements leave Yonah behind.

Saying that anything has "staying power" in this industry is pretty naïve if you ask me. ;) :D
True, but Yonah will be a lame duck as soon as Merom ships.

kenn8theocho
Apr 19, 2006, 11:49 PM
Why on earth does apple plan on releasing the 17" before the 13.3"??? I think they are taking up those hallucinogens again. I'm done waiting for the 13.3". I'm going to go on eBay, pay less than 1200 and get a powerbook 12". Since Apple is going to find a middle-ground between the ibook and powerbook 12", I doubt that the ibook will be better than the 12" powerook. Keep in mind, when put up against a pentium 4 with a clock speed of 3 Ghz, Apple's 1.5 Ghz processes at the same speed. So... If apple release a 1.6 GHz Core duo processor in the Macbook (3.2 total), the computer would be only .2 GHz faster than its predecessor. Also, the macbook will not be made up of the stylish aluminum, but plastic rather. Have you seen how easily the ibook becomes scratched and dirty? And finally, there's the isight (which in my opinion is completely unnecessary... you'll become bored of taking pics. after a few day) which really isn't as great as it's made up to be. I don't care for windows, and the magsafe is only the cream on top. So let's look at the benefits of the macbook: likely .2-.5 Ghz faster processing speed, and some poor additions. Downfalls: cheap plastic exterior, cheap additions, and a dumb name. I think I’ll stick with the 12" pb which has been refined to perfection over the years. Anyone want to share their thoughts?

~Shard~
Apr 20, 2006, 12:00 AM

Agreed, and agreed. :cool:

YoNeX
Apr 20, 2006, 12:35 AM
Penryn will be similar to Merom, just faster, smaller, and use less power. Incremental improvements... Merom will run Penryn code, Penryn will run Merom code.

To those people clueless, mind explaining to these people the benefit of 32 bit vs 64 bit.

And yes this notebook would be the flagship computer. More like bragging rights of how much power you can stuff into a notebook. My film major friend has a 17" powerbook and enjoys it. Does all his work there, and suits him just fine. So yes, it has a market, but not that may people use it. I will stay away from talking about the other MBP line for another thread.

Multimedia
Apr 20, 2006, 12:52 AM

It would be nice to see the 17" MacBook Pro released. I'll bet it's a monster!I Recommend Waiting To Exercise The FCS Upgrade 'til December. The offer is so outstanding, that waiting until the end of the offer period - Ends December 20 - is the best way to insure that what you get will be the best the FCS team can do as close to Leopard as we can get. :)

Multimedia
Apr 20, 2006, 12:59 AM

64-bit advancements leave Yonah behind. Yonah will be a lame duck as soon as Merom ships.I'm with you Alden Shaw. Am Waiting For the Merom 17" MacBook Pro specifically because of this. That is also the reason I am waiting to exercise the FCS Upgrade until December in the hopes that more of its code will be 64-bit centric by then. :)

whoooaaahhhh
Apr 20, 2006, 02:45 AM
I wonder if we aren't going to see the Mac Pro released at NAB. Sure no one's heard any rumblings about it. But they have released Desktop towers at or around the same time as NAB before. Besides, releasing it at the end of April for a June shipping isn't that crazy, it's just enough time for them to build enough and work out last minute kinks...

Call me CRAZY, but I think there's a possibility...:cool:

iEdd
Apr 20, 2006, 03:08 AM
I wonder if we aren't going to see the Mac Pro released at NAB. Sure no one's heard any rumblings about it. But they have released Desktop towers at or around the same time as NAB before. Besides, releasing it at the end of April for a June shipping isn't that crazy, it's just enough time for them to build enough and work out last minute kinks...

Call me CRAZY, but I think there's a possibility...:cool:
Oh.. If that comes out without a rumour first, we can't speculate the name. I know! MacTop Pro... :p

Apr 20, 2006, 04:37 AM
god, i'm so fed up with all this crap ..........i'm about to just buy an ibook...i need an affordable mac laptop..........macbook MAYBE released in may, shipping in what...june july??!?.ldskfl;aksdjfasldfkjalskdfjalskdfj

Hehe, I feel the same way...too many rumors and little substance...the good thing is: I have no money to spend on a new notebook now...ain't that great!!??? ;)

Gee4orce
Apr 20, 2006, 05:25 AM
The 12" Powerbook has always been a black sheep of the Powerbook family. Have a look at the specs - it's really an iBook with screen spanning enabled and an Alu shell.

It makes sense to drop it from the 'Pro' line - SO LONG AS the consumer line still retains an appearance that's sufficiently business-like. Lots of people like me love the 12" for it's portability, but I wouldn't want to pull out a garish plastic monstrosity at work :o !

rxse7en
Apr 20, 2006, 06:23 AM
Merom to ship early (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/04/20060420043039.shtml)

So, back to my original question...

Anyone think the 17" may be announced with a Merom proc?

Multimedia
Apr 20, 2006, 06:45 AM

Call me CRAZY, but I think there's a possibility...:cool:There is ZERO Possibility Of Desktop MacIntel Until September. Intel doesn't make the Woodcrest 64-bit dual socket capable dual core processors yet that will take us from G5 to Quad Intels. You need to study the roadmap or read Alden Shaw's analysis more. It is absurd to think Apple will put out a 32-bit desktop MacIntel. :rolleyes:

Are you daft? :eek: Oh no. I see you are CRAZY. :rolleyes:

Multimedia
Apr 20, 2006, 06:55 AM
Merom to ship early (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/04/20060420043039.shtml)

So, back to my original question...

Anyone think the 17" may be announced with a Merom proc?No. NO Merom 64-bit Mobile Macs Before September. This is hardly news. All it means is that quantities may be ready a month or two sooner than previously expected. But that still puts product on the street no sooner than August after WWDC in the best case scenario which is highly unlikely to become the reality when push comes to shove. :rolleyes:

Remember, Apple is not Intel's only customer and is a small customer at that.

rxse7en
Apr 20, 2006, 07:11 AM
No. NO Merom 64-bit Mobile Macs Before September. This is hardly news. All it means is that quantities may be ready a month or two sooner than previously expected. But that still puts product on the street no sooner than August after WWDC in the best case scenario which is highly unlikely to become the reality when push comes to shove. :rolleyes:

OK. So, you think that Apple will be shipping 17"ers immediately after the announcement at NAB?

"All three are now expected to be shipping "in volume" in Q3 2006. This could mean that processors would be available as early as June or July of this year."--I can almost see Steve-O announcing the new 17" at NAB and shipping in June/July when the procs are available. This is assuming that Apple has already built/tested the system. The only other thing I can add to my assumption is that there are others out there who are already running Merom-based Macs. Merom in a Mac (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91758#post1320183)

Thanks for your replies...
B

Apr 20, 2006, 08:06 AM
There is ZERO Possibility Of Desktop MacIntel Until September. Intel doesn't make the Woodcrest 64-bit dual socket capable dual core processors yet that will take us from G5 to Quad Intels. You need to study the roadmap or read Alden Shaw's analysis more. It is absurd to think Apple will put out a 32-bit desktop MacIntel. :rolleyes:

Are you daft? :eek: Oh no. I see you are CRAZY. :rolleyes:

Even though Shaw's analyses are the MR equivalent to Dvorak or Enderle's predictions, I have to agree with you on this one...

There is NO Intel/AMD machine in the market to supersede the mighty Quad for now...therefore, Apple will only release the MacPros after 64-bit professional chips start shipping in quantity...

Multimedia
Apr 20, 2006, 08:09 AM
OK. So, you think that Apple will be shipping 17"ers immediately after the announcement at NAB?

"All three are now expected to be shipping "in volume" in Q3 2006. This could mean that processors would be available as early as June or July of this year."--I can almost see Steve-O announcing the new 17" at NAB and shipping in June/July when the procs are available. This is assuming that Apple has already built/tested the system. The only other thing I can add to my assumption is that there are others out there who are already running Merom-based Macs. Merom in a Mac (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91758#post1320183)

Thanks for your replies...
BRepeat - NO Merom 64-bit Mobile Macs Before September. I believe the Rev A 17" MacBook Pro will be with the same Core Duo Yonah 32-bit processor as the 15" model - perhaps a tad faster. There is no way Apple is going to announce a mobile Merom months in advance of shipping. Q3 is July-August not June.

By the time Apple gets their small share of the first-off-the-line allocated Meroms we'll still be lucky to see it inside mobile Macs before September and I do not think Apple's luck is that good in the face of many other longstanding Intel customers who deserve the lion's share of those first-off-the-line Meroms. You think Apple is going to get preferential treatment over customers who have been buying Intel processors for decades? No Way in San Jose. ;) :rolleyes: :)

Apple may be a feather in Intel's cap, but it sure ain't their meat and potatoes. :p

AidenShaw
Apr 20, 2006, 08:41 AM
Even though Shaw's analyses are the MR equivalent to Dvorak or Enderle's predictions, I have to agree with you on this one...
Your first comment is always ad hominem - what a weak way to open an argument, Mr. Lawyer....

milo
Apr 20, 2006, 08:57 AM
And I know some of the pros will disagree, but I don't think Apple looks at NAB as the platform to launch a 17" MBP. Pro editors, for the most part, don't use laptops. We want loaded G5s with 4, 8, or better yet 16 GB of RAM, massive hard drive space and, if you're a serious pro, you're NOT using firewire to connect your camera or deck, you've got an AJA or similar card handling all that stuff. Last I saw, PB's had no free PCI slots. They may be good for editing news or other small projects, but to 90% of the people at NAB, if you're editing video, laptops don't cut it. If I had to do half the projects I do on our 3 month old loaded PowerBook, I'd go insane waiting for it to render, compared with my almost-3-year old Dual 2.0 G5.

Why even mention the powerbook? There are benchmarks out for FCS on the macbooks, and the fastest ones beat dual G5's. Sure, there are limitations of laptops, but the new ones are fantastic boxes to use for a portable system, great for doing rough cuts on the go.

I would like to see more ram slots, maybe that will happen with the 17. What four apps are you running at the same time that would max out 16 gigs of ram? (I assume there aren't any video apps on OSX that can address more than 4 gigs, are there?)

And you honestly think we'll see any apps that are Merom compatible only? The G4 won't run "g5 code". How many apps have you seen that are G4 only? Hell, I'm typing this on a beige G3. It's seven years old and there still aren't that many apps that won't run on it.

Keep in mind, when put up against a pentium 4 with a clock speed of 3 Ghz, Apple's 1.5 Ghz processes at the same speed. So... If apple release a 1.6 GHz Core duo processor in the Macbook (3.2 total), the computer would be only .2 GHz faster than its predecessor.

Look at a benchmark or two. The core duo is TONS faster than a single G4. Night and day difference. The g4 is a dog speedwise. You can't just compare clock speed numbers (the core chips are way faster than the P4's, even at a considerably lower clock speed).

Apr 20, 2006, 10:44 AM
Your first comment is always ad hominem - what a weak way to open an argument, Mr. Lawyer....

Just summing up your posts, Shaw, no offense intended with my ad personam argument...but that's a fact, I hardly see you saying anything good about Apple...therefore, a certain bias may be clearly identified in your posts, which makes my assertion legitimate...

Worry not, it's a sunny and warm day here in Geneva...too warm for my taste, actually...and yes, no MacPros expected soon... :cool:

dextertangocci
Apr 20, 2006, 10:54 AM
Why even mention the powerbook? There are benchmarks out for FCS on the macbooks, and the fastest ones beat dual G5's. Sure, there are limitations of laptops, but the new ones are fantastic boxes to use for a portable system, great for doing rough cuts on the go.

I would like to see more ram slots, maybe that will happen with the 17. What four apps are you running at the same time that would max out 16 gigs of ram? (I assume there aren't any video apps on OSX that can address more than 4 gigs, are there?)

And you honestly think we'll see any apps that are Merom compatible only? The G4 won't run "g5 code". How many apps have you seen that are G4 only? Hell, I'm typing this on a beige G3. It's seven years old and there still aren't that many apps that won't run on it.

Look at a benchmark or two. The core duo is TONS faster than a single G4. Night and day difference. The g4 is a dog speedwise. You can't just compare clock speed numbers (the core chips are way faster than the P4's, even at a considerably lower clock speed).

Anyone ever heard of "the megahertz myth"?

http://pulsar.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/graphics/movies/mhz_myth_320f.mov

(Apple's explanation in a short film)

Multimedia
Apr 20, 2006, 11:01 AM
Just summing up your posts, Shaw, no offense intended with my ad personam argument...but that's a fact, I hardly see you saying anything good about Apple...therefore, a certain bias may be clearly identified in your posts, which makes my assertion legitimate...

Worry not, it's a sunny and warm day here in Geneva...too warm for my taste, actually...and yes, no MacPros expected soon... :cool:Wow. I don't see Alden Shaw's posts as negative toward Apple at all. I find Alden's analysis the best we have here and I am grateful for every insight he provides. He is obviously a veteran engineer with many years of experience and very well read on the details of our current and future engineering roadmaps. I love Alden Shaw and think everyone here should do so as well. :D :) :eek: :p

milo
Apr 20, 2006, 11:02 AM
Anyone ever heard of "the megahertz myth"?

Exactly. I thought people had figured out that you can't assume a chip is faster just because a number is higher. I guess not.

Chris Bangle
Apr 20, 2006, 02:05 PM
For us poor uk students we wont find out whats been launched until the Tuesday morning because that invitations shows 6-8PM. Firstly i dont know how far ahead Las Vagas is but i think thats past my bedtime. Alos why has ipod news dropped off recently... I thought bluetooth ipods were soon.

darh
Apr 20, 2006, 02:25 PM
For us poor uk students we wont find out whats been launched until the Tuesday morning because that invitations shows 6-8PM. Firstly i dont know how far ahead Las Vagas is but i think thats past my bedtime. Alos why has ipod news dropped off recently... I thought bluetooth ipods were soon.

Ehm am I missing something here? Which invitations?

Chris Bangle
Apr 20, 2006, 02:32 PM

This on Page 2....
Theres a pic aswell..

If im wrong and its just a normal event please dont have a go at me. I apologise in advance if it is just a bog standard NAB event.

darh
Apr 20, 2006, 02:38 PM
If im wrong and its just a normal event please dont have a go at me. I apologise in advance if it is just a bog standard NAB event.

Ow that is what you mean. That event is for education people, "You'll learn how to prepare your students for careers creative industry".

So i guess thats only some kind of workshop. If there is going to be an event for a product launch it would probably be on sunday evening.

Surreal
Apr 20, 2006, 02:51 PM
..."All three are now expected to be shipping "in volume" in Q3 2006. This could mean that processors would be available as early as June or July of this year."--I can almost see Steve-O announcing the new 17" at NAB and shipping in June/July when the procs are available....

B

You, yeah you, i like the way you think.you get a raise. wait, scratch that, no raise. if this thing comes out i'll need all my money.

but really, all apple has to do is announce a merom 17" laptop and ship in june. i will buy and wait. i know a few people who will. and i will have no problem waiting for merom (unless we get into the somewhat typical extra delays, but i'm thinking positive ;))

rxse7en
Apr 20, 2006, 03:05 PM
You, yeah you, i like the way you think.you get a raise. wait, scratch that, no raise. if this thing comes out i'll need all my money.

but really, all apple has to do is announce a merom 17" laptop and ship in june. i will buy and wait. i know a few people who will. and i will have no problem waiting for merom (unless we get into the somewhat typical extra delays, but i'm thinking positive ;))

I don't think it would be any different than Apple releasing the 15" with Yonah procs before the rest of the industry. If ANYONE can get their hands on the early tech it will be Steve Jobs. It probably won't happen, but, alas, I was just looking for patterns in the mess.

B

Chris Bangle
Apr 20, 2006, 03:10 PM
Ow that is what you mean. That event is for education people, "You'll learn how to prepare your students for careers creative industry".

So i guess thats only some kind of workshop. If there is going to be an event for a product launch it would probably be on sunday evening.

Ah c'est bon.C'est magnifique. C'est sacre bleur. A day and a half early... What beginning/ending to a week.:D

The problem is the invite says senior apple staff or something, must be interesting workshop, if there was a workshop @ my school my headteacher probably wouldnt come. Unless in senior it means old people then it will be a rocking workshop.

I was wrong again it says apple execs.

milo
Apr 20, 2006, 03:39 PM
I don't think it would be any different than Apple releasing the 15" with Yonah procs before the rest of the industry. If ANYONE can get their hands on the early tech it will be Steve Jobs. It probably won't happen, but, alas, I was just looking for patterns in the mess.

They didn't ship yonah laptops before PC vendors did, although they were pretty close. They did ship yonah boxes first with the iMacs.

Rocketman
Apr 20, 2006, 04:56 PM
Why on earth does apple plan on releasing the 17" before the 13.3"???

Simple. They sell fewer and at a higher price point and margin. Easier, better, sooner.

MacBook release will SWAMP them in low margin sales.

Rocketman

AidenShaw
Apr 20, 2006, 06:00 PM
Worry not, it's a sunny and warm day here in Geneva...too warm for my taste, actually...and yes, no MacPros expected soon... :cool:
Yes, Genève can become warm on a sunny spring day.

I always liked a walk along the Quai du Mont-Blanc in the late afternoon to enjoy the breeze.

Multimedia
Apr 20, 2006, 07:05 PM
Post #31 Page 2

Here's the invite, sans RSVP link...Not an industry gathering. A Press Conference at the booth.
This on Page 2....
Theres a pic aswell..

If im wrong and its just a normal event please dont have a go at me. I apologise in advance if it is just a bog standard NAB event.The new product announcements event will be on Sunday April 23. The event TV Genius is referring to is simply a briefing and reception for the educators attending NAB. No biggie. :)

Multimedia
Apr 20, 2006, 07:07 PM

but really, all apple has to do is announce a merom 17" laptop and ship in june. i will buy and wait. i know a few people who will. and i will have no problem waiting for merom (unless we get into the somewhat typical extra delays, but i'm thinking positive ;))Merom MBP shipping in June? You have got to be dreaming. :rolleyes: September at the soonest.

Surreal
Apr 20, 2006, 07:31 PM
Merom MBP shipping in June? You have got to be dreaming. :rolleyes: September at the soonest.

there is an element of personal want, yes. however, as you and a few others have been quick to point out, apple is not a large customer, so why would they not be able to ship in june? the 17" sells well, but is not as high volume a seller as the 12" or 15", so they shouldnt have so many orders that they can't fill with what "little" they get from intel.

average OEMs pre announce, apple has little reason not too.

Multimedia
Apr 20, 2006, 07:46 PM
there is an element of personal want, yes. however, as you and a few others have been quick to point out, apple is not a large customer, so why would they not be able to ship in june? the 17" sells well, but is not as high volume a seller as the 12" or 15", so they shouldnt have so many orders that they can't fill with what "little" they get from intel.

average OEMs pre announce, apple has little reason not too.Because Intel won't be shipping Merom processors before the July-August time frame and Apple needs a certain amount in stock before they can crank up an assembly line. Plus the longer Apple can wait the better chance you'll get a SuperMultiDrive inside. :D I think the first 17" MBP will have a faster or fastest Yonah inside just so they can get something out the door. Then in September they will switch to Merom once that price equals the old Yonah price. Just guessing. :D

ncook06
Apr 20, 2006, 10:14 PM
I'm glad you mentioned the Dell XPS because their new top of the line dual core laptop gamer has 4 MB RAM

The 4 GB RAM is a $2500 option, and it delays your order by an additional 18 days.

'nuff said

kenn8theocho
Apr 21, 2006, 12:36 AM
Anyone mind explaining what "the megahertz myth" is? Thanks! :D

Apr 21, 2006, 03:10 AM
Yes, Genève can become warm on a sunny spring day.

I always liked a walk along the Quai du Mont-Blanc in the late afternoon to enjoy the breeze.

Exactly...in terms of overall landscape, Geneva is great...but I don't like this place as much as the German part of Switzerland...too much money, a lack of proper identity, a transit camp-like atmosphere and too many people presuming that everyone is/should be a millionaire...

Where's the MBP 17"..?

AidenShaw
Apr 21, 2006, 06:27 AM
The 4 GB RAM is a $2500 option, and it delays your order by an additional 18 days.
So, that makes choice bad?

What's your point? That you shouldn't be able to choose an expensive option that delays the ship date? And doesn't the fact that it delays the build indicate that it's a popular option?

I ordered the Dell 620 with 4 GiB - I need the extra 2 GiB of RAM and am happy to wait 2 extra weeks to get a necessary configuration.

dextertangocci
Apr 21, 2006, 07:39 AM
Anyone mind explaining what "the megahertz myth" is? Thanks! :D

Click on the following link, and let Jon Rubinstein (Apple's senior vice president: Hardware) explain it to you in a quicktime movie.

http://pulsar.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/graphics/movies/mhz_myth_320f.mov

Surreal
Apr 21, 2006, 08:16 AM
So, that makes choice bad?

What's your point? That you shouldn't be able to choose an expensive option that delays the ship date? And doesn't the fact that it delays the build indicate that it's a popular option?

I ordered the Dell 620 with 4 GiB - I need the extra 2 GiB of RAM and am happy to wait 2 extra weeks to get a necessary configuration.

but... technically there is a 4gb option for the macbook pro. 1400 dollars to boot. so cheaper that the xps option (although i don't see how if the XPS has 4 slots)

but... that IS a great deal of money in either case.

AidenShaw
Apr 21, 2006, 08:45 AM
but... technically there is a 4gb option for the macbook pro.
Technically, the MBP 1.83 GHz comes standard with 4gb of RAM, and 8gb is standard on the 2.0 GHz.

but... technically there is a 4gb option for the macbook pro. 1400 dollars to boot. so cheaper that the xps option (although i don't see how if the XPS has 4 slots)

but... that IS a great deal of money in either case.
2 slots, with 2 GiB SO-DIMMs.

I don't see the option at the Apple Store for 4 GiB RAM in the MBP for $1400.

Dell charges $8,250 for 16 GiB of ECC RAM for a PW470, Apple charges $10,300 for 16 GiB of ECC in the PMG5. Why do you think Apple will do less markup than Dell for 2 GiB SO-DIMM memory?

Butthead
Apr 21, 2006, 11:59 AM
Technically, the MBP 1.83 GHz comes standard with 4gb of RAM, and 8gb is standard on the 2.0 GHz.{huh?}

2 slots, with 2 GiB SO-DIMMs.

I don't see the option at the Apple Store for 4 GiB RAM in the MBP for $1400.

Why do you think Apple will do less markup than Dell for 2 GiB SO-DIMM memory?

^^^
isnt expresscard PCI Express compliant?

i understand that isnt the exact same...but it is pretty close. 2.5 Gb/s

from the site, it looks like it IS PCI express. just small.

despite my counterclaim, i understand your point, but you don't know ANY pros with a 17"? hard for me to believe.

o and 2GB PC2-5300 modules are finally hitting market. crucial has a $700 module. so pros will be able to hit 4GB portable...that seems like something they'd like to hear. Post#101

If Intel has Merom available as early as June/July, I'll bet the family farm we'll see it in a MBP of some size. Why? Cause the competition will have it...duh. This is great if it happens, but what I'm hoping is that whenever it comes out, there will be a Sup. Drive with HD burning capability. True, I suppose you'll be able to buy such a drive that you could install into an older Core Duo. And as with all new tech, the 1st HD burners will be slow, a year later you'll be wanting to replace with a burning that is 2x or 4x faster, since they will be relatively cheaper than the 1st DVD burner drives that Apple was the 1st to the market with. Now all we need is FW800, surely Apple has had enough time to get a 3rd party supplier to have a chip on the Mobo, for this. No reason a 56kmodem couldn't be there also (plenty of space). Apple had better put a56kmodem back on the 15in., it's assinine to neglect the rest of the world were telephone only lines are the way you can connect. Broadband/LAN/WAN just isn't available everywhere. Screw add-on modems, they blow.

Chris Bangle
Apr 21, 2006, 02:55 PM
We just gotta hope that apple surprise on sunday. They might even launch 30inch mbp's. What a product that would be.:rolleyes:

Chris Bangle
Apr 21, 2006, 03:09 PM
Just had a brainwave. If NAB is a pro event and it seems that an Apple tablet would be a pro Product, whats stoppping one of them being launched on sunday. Tablets would be superb for pro people and it seems that NAB would be a great place to launch it/

AidenShaw
Apr 21, 2006, 05:05 PM
...the 1st DVD burner drives that Apple was the 1st to the market with...
Actually, Compaq definitely announced DVD burners before Apple did (both were using the Pioneer drive).

They shipped at about the same time - there have been conflicting reports on which was first (it was within a few days).

Anyway you put it, to say "Apple was the 1st" is somewhat questionable and misleading.

Multimedia
Apr 21, 2006, 07:20 PM
Actually, Compaq definitely announced DVD burners before Apple did (both were using the Pioneer drive).

They shipped at about the same time - there have been conflicting reports on which was first (it was within a few days).

Anyway you put it, to say "Apple was the 1st" is somewhat questionable and misleading.I think it's safe to say that Apple's most famous "First" is for including two 6 pin powered FW400 ports on personal computers since January 5, 1999 when they were introduced in the original 300 MHz Blue & White PowerMac G3 Towers more than 7 yearas ago. :)

Nobody on the PC side of the fence followed Apple on that front for years. You had to add a PCI card to get those ports into a PC for the longest time. And while Sony put ONE 4-pin UNPOWERED FW400 port on their VAIO line first, those were leaves unable to power any external FW devices.

AidenShaw
Apr 22, 2006, 12:54 AM
I think it's safe to say that Apple's most famous "First" is for including two 6 pin powered FW400 ports on personal computers since January 5, 1999 when they were introduced in the original 300 MHz Blue & White PowerMac G3 Towers more than 7 yearas ago. :)
Of course, Sony VAIOs had IEEE 1394 ports quite some time before the first Apple had them.

So Apple wasn't first with IEEE 1394 as standard.

But since you say "6 pin" - your claim that Apple was first is correct. Sony used the standard 4-pin connector.

iHeartTheApple
Apr 22, 2006, 01:00 AM
Just had a brainwave. If NAB is a pro event and it seems that an Apple tablet would be a pro Product, whats stoppping one of them being launched on sunday. Tablets would be superb for pro people and it seems that NAB would be a great place to launch it/

OMG! :eek: Don't get my hopes up... :( An Apple Tablet would be...I have no words. Do it SJ!

...Just as long as its a traditional slate form factor and not one of those crappy hybrid/convertibles. :p [/perpetually dissatisfied fanboy]

Chris Bangle
Apr 22, 2006, 04:35 AM
I dont want to get anyones hopes up but there is a 1% chance of a tablet.

(L)
Apr 22, 2006, 06:40 AM

Well, I really wonder about this one. When I've gone to the Apple store, the laptops they have on display are always hot. My PB rarely gets as hot as some of the ones they run all day, regardless of PB or MBP. And you should keep in mind that if things feel hot, that means they are conducting heat to your hand, rather than insulating the heat to their insides. Sure, it's still hot, but considering how hot some plastic ones get, it makes me think twice about considering a heat issue. I would be more convinced about a heat issue if there were performance problems, though wasn't there an article about this recently?:confused:

Still, a Duo or Solo makes little difference, and a 12" MBP should be possible. I remember reading that Apple might be thinking people don't need it that small, but if they did decide that they are wrong.

Josias
Apr 22, 2006, 12:43 PM
I think this will be like it:

17" MBP:
2.16 GHz Core Duo (soon 2.33 GHz upgrade available)
1 GB RAM (Up to 2 GB, keep dreamin', no 4 gigs for you)
120 GB 5.400 rpm. / 100 GB 7.200 rpm.
Ati Radeon X1900 Crossfire 256 MB GDDR3 (512 MB upgrade available)
8x DVD+/-RW/DL SuperDrive (I would hate apple if they let a crappy superdrive in this maxed out machine:eek: )
17" (1680x1050). I don't think they will put a 1080p screen into it now. Perhpas Rev. B.
Otherwise same specs as 15" MBP.

Two 15" MBP lines. Expensive one will be $2299, while the other will be $1799.

A 13.3" widescreen MBP. Same specs as low end 15" MBP. Screen res. will be 1280x768. $1499.

I hope these predictions will hold. They have before had severeal 15" models.

Edit: 17" price will be $2599 (hopefully).

Surreal
Apr 22, 2006, 01:22 PM

17" MBP:
8x DVD+/-RW/DL SuperDrive (I would hate apple if they let a crappy superdrive in this maxed out machine:eek: )
17" (1680x1050). I don't think they will put a 1080p screen into it now. Perhpas Rev. B.

2GB modules are here...although not from apple (imagine THAT price) but 4GB is already possible.

While i understand that the icons would be tiny, i see no benefit to keeping the same resolution for the 17" 1920 x 1200 is what i want to see, at least as an option. this is a desktop replacement for many...especially because of the cost. buying a monitor is out of budget for most people (me ;) funny how hat works out in my rationale eh?) while expose is great it is not more convenient than side by side windows.

if they put expresscard/34 in the 17" i will seriously have to reconsider why i dig apple products so much. os, i am pretty sure they won't make that mistake. but other than that, those specs are tasty.

MovieCutter
Apr 22, 2006, 03:55 PM

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA (sorry, I couldn't find a laughing smily)

Multimedia
Apr 22, 2006, 05:41 PM
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA (sorry, I couldn't find a laughing smily)You can hope all you like. In your dreams Josias. What MovieCutter and I are laughing so loud about is that there is no way the 17" MBP will sell for less than $2999. 24 hours and we'll know for sure. :D :)

Surreal
Apr 22, 2006, 06:15 PM
I just specced out a m7700 at alienware. 2999 is a reasonable price. if apple upgrades the few things we want it will be a downright competitive price.

shadowx
Apr 22, 2006, 06:25 PM
You can hope all you like. In your dreams Josias. What MovieCutter and I are laughing so loud about is that there is no way the 17" MBP will sell for less than $2999. 24 hours and we'll know for sure. :D :)

Agreed. $2999 for the 17'' and no change on the 15'' ($1999, $2499) Apple can easily justify $2999 for the larger screen and processor bump (2.16GHZ standard) - and maybe even a 7200rpm (100GB) or 120GB HDD. It will probably have an 8X (vs 4X) superdrive, too.

Of course, I only say easily justify because it's Apple ;)

My trigger finger is really starting to itch, I'm being forced to purchase a notebook by June 30... and I really want a Macbook Pro, so I suppose I wouldn't mind cheaper prices... certainly NOT holding my breath, though:)

sam10685
Apr 22, 2006, 09:05 PM
maybe Apple will introduce a Macbook pro that's bigger than 17". ???

DHagan4755
Apr 22, 2006, 09:33 PM
Maybe, but not in the short term.

bodeh6
Apr 22, 2006, 10:07 PM
The real question is will it come with 1GB RAM standard? No way would they stick just 512MB in there.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Apr 22, 2006, 10:24 PM
The real question is will it come with 1GB RAM standard? No way would they stick just 512MB in there.

Definitely not. 1 GB of ram standard, and as someone above posted, I'd say they'll have a 256 MB Video Card standard as well (to power the larger screen and, of course, have power enough left for powering a 30" Cinema Display :) )

Val-kyrie
Apr 22, 2006, 10:57 PM

Merom will be a much better chip than the current Core Duos. Merom actually begins a new Intel architecture whereas the current Core Duos are the end of the old P-M line. Among other things, the new chips beginning with Merom will be 64 bit which in the Intel world opens up new registers for data processing (and thus is more than just the ability to use 4GiB RAM). Also, Merom will sport SSE3 instructions, and is reputed to perform 20% better at the same power consumption level.

I believe Merom will also coincide with the new Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and I believe certain technologies will be revealed which will require the Lagrande technology built into the chips. Also, if you wait for the Rosetta chipset, the Robson cache technology will be included, as will 802.11n, and possibly UWB, and a faster 800 MHz FSB. The first release of Merom will be limited to 667MHz FSB by the chipset, but the chip will do 800MHz. A perusal through PC websites (e.g., anandtech.com, tomshardware.com, etc.) will reveal other advantages to Merom. If you can wait until the middle of 2007, Intel is planning on releasing a quad-core mobile processor.

For me, the sweet-spot will be a 2.0 GHz Merom chip with the Rosetta chipset and OS X 10.5--probably Q1, 2007. This should be available on the MacBook by then since Merom will be introduced at 1.86GHz followed by 2.0, 2.16, and 2.33GHz.

AidenShaw
Apr 22, 2006, 11:54 PM
For me, the sweet-spot will be a 2.0 GHz Merom chip with the Rosetta chipset
I thought that I've been paying attention - but WTF is the "Rosetta Chipset"? I haven't seen that on any NDA presentation from Intel.

Surreal
Apr 23, 2006, 02:01 AM
I thought that I've been paying attention - but WTF is the "Rosetta Chipset"? I haven't seen that on any NDA presentation from Intel.

"Crestline" maybe?

there are many words to keep track of...slight slip maybe.

Josias
Apr 23, 2006, 03:00 AM
I forgot. ExpressCard/54 'course. But I think it will come with 1 GB standard, and yes, perhaps you're right about 4 GB option. The screen res will still be 1.7 mpx, but they might make 2.3 mpx as an option. Okay, so 13" is $1499, 15" are $1999 and 2499 and 17" is $2999? Yeah, it will probably be, since many 15" buyers will feel cheated if they lower the price on 15"...:D

MacQuest
Apr 23, 2006, 06:05 AM

17" MBP:

... Edit: 17" price will be $2599 (hopefully).

What drugs are you taking?!!! :eek:

And why aren't you sharing? :mad: j/k ;)

JUST SAY "NO" to drugs Josias, just say no.

"Bad" Josias, "very bad".

$2999 PERIOD. [at least].

Josias
Apr 23, 2006, 07:49 AM
Ok, I got it. I just though it might not be that much, since none of the other intel machines have risen so much in price.

@mac
Apr 23, 2006, 08:50 AM
Some of you have said that the 13" macbook pro if it even exsists will be $1500 but they raised the other two books up to a higher price so shouldn't this book be a higher price like $1700 or higher.:confused:

Multimedia
Apr 23, 2006, 10:15 AM
NAB Press Conferences List (http://www.nabshow.com/press/pressconferences.asp)

Is it true that Apple PR chose to pass on holding their annual Press Event for NAB today? I am shocked that it may be so. They surely have a ton of NAB Final Cut Studio and 17" MacBook Pro news to discuss with the press. It appears they may do it with a press release instead. I can't believe it. Apple's PR Department is lacking proper leadership and vision. :mad: :( :eek:

MovieCutter
Apr 23, 2006, 10:28 AM
Is it true that Apple PR chose to pass on holding their annual Press Event for NAB today? I am shocked that it may be so. They surely have a ton of NAB Final Cut Studio and 17" MacBook Pro news to discuss with the press. It appears they may do it with a press release instead. I can't believe it. Apple's PR Department is lacking proper leadership and vision. :mad: :( :eek:

On Apple's Hot News page, they list NAB as APril 24th-27th. Let's hope this happens tomorrow. I'm trigger happy...Plus Apple's got a big honkin floor space right across from Avid (as usual) in Exhibit Hall South 1....all this for 1 year old video software and a single Intel-based pro machine?

ninethirty
Apr 23, 2006, 10:33 AM
WIth Merom coming out sometime this year, would buying a core duo macbook almost be a waste of money or is it quite a bit of computing power still? I've been saving for a while to get the 17" but I don't wanna jump too soon if there's going to be leaps and bounds in the technology by the time we start seeing major applications (Adobe etc) coming in the Universal Binary flavor.

Also, given that Merom is a 64 bit chip, would it have any issues running windows XP through boot camp at all or would it require a special version of XP that is 64 bit compatible?

Thanks!

Multimedia
Apr 23, 2006, 11:34 AM
WIth Merom coming out sometime this year, would buying a core duo macbook almost be a waste of money or is it quite a bit of computing power still? I've been saving for a while to get the 17" but I don't wanna jump too soon if there's going to be leaps and bounds in the technology by the time we start seeing major applications (Adobe etc) coming in the Universal Binary flavor.

Also, given that Merom is a 64 bit chip, would it have any issues running windows XP through boot camp at all or would it require a special version of XP that is 64 bit compatible?I believe Merom Is Worth Waiting For. WinXP already works with 64-bit Intels. I would rather be 64-bit ready than 32-bit fenced in. So I am waiting for at least Merom if not with Leopard and iLife '07 inside. :)

The rest of my wish list:

Expresscard/54
eSATA port
SuperMultiDrive
Dual 2.5" 160 GB HDs

All of these features have already been implemented on other mobile PCs.

RollTide
Apr 23, 2006, 11:47 AM

Also, given that Merom is a 64 bit chip, would it have any issues running windows XP through boot camp at all or would it require a special version of XP that is 64 bit compatible?

Thanks!

Core duo(1.83 or 2ghz, whatever they decide to put in)=screamin fast
Merom whatever= Scary fast

AidenShaw
Apr 23, 2006, 12:02 PM
The x64 chips run both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems (and even 16-bit operating systems).

Two issues with dual-boot come to mind.

One is that Apple provides drivers for 32-bit XP - you'd need 64-bit drivers to run 64-bit XP (so you might end up only being able to run 32-bit XP).

Second is that 64-bit support also depends on BIOS support for 64-bit. If Apple's BIOS doesn't allow 64-bit operation, again you'd be stuck in 32-bit mode.

So, even though both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of XP can be run on normal Intel 64-bit systems - it's up to Apple as to what happens on an Apple running XP.

ninethirty
Apr 23, 2006, 12:09 PM
Anyone have any sort of guess as to when 17" MBP's with Merom will be available? If I'm going to have to wait till after September then I may just purchase one of the core duos. Again, anyone have an opinion on whether it's going to be worth the cash or not?

Rocket Rion
Apr 23, 2006, 12:24 PM
Sorry, dudes. No Final Cut Pro 6 or 17" MPB at NAB.

Surreal
Apr 23, 2006, 12:44 PM
at least i have been telling myself that this is all a rumor.

that said...

i may cry myself to sleep tonight.

Mowgli
Apr 23, 2006, 12:49 PM
i think you're right...! But I'll dream! Dreams will come true! :D

CmdrLaForge
Apr 23, 2006, 02:32 PM

Why not ?

Surreal
Apr 23, 2006, 02:38 PM
we're being punished. for something. i don't know what.

unemployed
Apr 23, 2006, 03:07 PM
i think you're right...! But I'll dream! Dreams will come true! :D

How do you know?

Mowgli
Apr 23, 2006, 03:25 PM
Because all my dreams have come true!! :D

unemployed
Apr 23, 2006, 03:32 PM

Oops this is the one I was trying to quote. . .

How do you know??

DHagan4755
Apr 23, 2006, 03:53 PM
He doesn't know. The assumption is because nothing has come thus far. The exhibition hall doesn't open until tomorrow morning, so if anything is going to be announced by Apple I believe it will happen Monday between 8:00 A.M. and 9:00 A.M. EDT.

zap2
Apr 23, 2006, 03:56 PM
He doesn't know. The assumption is because nothing has come thus far. The exhibition hall doesn't open until tomorrow morning, so if anything is going to be announced by Apple I believe it will happen Monday between 8:00 A.M. and 9:00 A.M. EDT.
when since Apple in the past release in on Sunday even were not sure about that, and it seems there not hold one today, we might not see anthing

Does it seem like Apple is waitinf for on event to releas a lot of intel stuff, WWDC maybe there trying to make up for last years because we did not get anything

AvSRoCkCO1067
Apr 23, 2006, 04:24 PM
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but...

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2005/04/nab/

There's a link of what they released last year.

Remember, they announced that 2005 was "the year of HD"...;)

EDIT: they were announced on Sunday, April 17, 2005 (see the press releases)

AvSRoCkCO1067
Apr 23, 2006, 04:28 PM

Like I said in my above post, they've announced new products the Sunday before the conference.

Conferences this year have been open since Saturday (April 22nd); check out the top of this page http://www.nabshow.com/

<crosses fingers for something exciting>

Multimedia
Apr 23, 2006, 04:40 PM
Like I said in my above post, they've announced new products the Sunday before the conference.

Conferences this year have been open since Saturday (April 22nd); check out the top of this page http://www.nabshow.com/

<crosses fingers for something exciting>The NAB Conferences always start on Saturday and the Expo starts on Monday. Sony, Panasonic, Avid and Apple have always held a Sunday afternoon press conference (http://www.nabshow.com/press/pressconferences.asp) on the EVE of the opening of the Expo for the past 7 years. This is breaking Apple's pattern completely. While the former three are doing it as usual, Apple has chosen to "Think Different" and BLOW Millions of Dollars worth of FREE PUBLICITY and BUZZ.

I am Mad :mad:, Shocked :eek: and Confused :confused: ... Oh. And LIVID!!!

AidenShaw
Apr 23, 2006, 04:43 PM
The NAB Conferences always start on Saturday and the Expo starts on Monday. Sony, Panasonic, Avid and Apple have always held a Sunday afternoon press conference (http://www.nabshow.com/press/pressconferences.asp) on the EVE of the opening of the Expo for the past 7 years. This is breaking Apple's pattern completely. While the former three are doing it as usual, Apple has chosen to "Think Different" and BLOW Millions of Dollars worth of FREE PUBLICITY and BUZZ.

Clearly, Apple are no longer interested in the professional media market...

:eek:

twoodcc
Apr 23, 2006, 04:46 PM

me too.

please let something happen in the next 2 days :o

Multimedia
Apr 23, 2006, 04:52 PM
Clearly, Apple are no longer interested in the professional media market... :eek:I think it's more a case of taking that market for granted. This is blatant evidence of Apple's Extreme Arrogance. It amounts to a slap in the face of all who are attending NAB and all in that market - which is the entire multimedia industry - who expect Apple to face the press and answer some questions about this transition timeline so buyers can make intelligent plans for the next year. :(

OR

It's a case of Apple PR Incompetence, which I would not rule out.

Reminder: There is a formal presentation to invited FCS college educators at the Apple Booth Monday night 6:30-8pm.

From Post #31 I can't see Apple jumping into Pro video cameras... just wouldn't work.

Here's the invite, sans RSVP link... (http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45382&d=1145464975)

MIDI_EVIL
Apr 23, 2006, 04:57 PM
Maybe they chose to hold their conference on a day that noone else can steal their thunder?

On the last day?

Rich.

Multimedia
Apr 23, 2006, 05:12 PM
Maybe they chose to hold their conference on a day that no one else can steal their thunder? On the last day? Rich.That would be highly irregular Rich, since word of mouth at these shows is what ultimately drives sales. By Thursday, most of the attendees will have already made up their minds and/or left. :confused:
Post #202 - maybe they didnt have anything ready?:oWell they just released FCS 5.1 Universal with no press conference so this would have been the place to have that press conference and to brag about the cheap $199 upgrade from FCP 4 to the full Universal FCS 5.1 suite and to discuss the new features that were added to each component in the Universal FCS 5.1 suite.

BTW, Surreal, I am totally with you on the insistance for FW800 and/or Expresscard/54 in a MBP before I will buy one.

Surreal
Apr 23, 2006, 05:40 PM
maybe they didnt have anything ready?:o

Peace
Apr 23, 2006, 05:59 PM
Apple's doing something at NAB..With two large booths they arn't just sitting on their hands.

Willis
Apr 23, 2006, 06:33 PM
hmm, seems odd. Im going with the theory that they havent got anything ready in time, or are just holding out till WWDC. OR they plan on showing something off at the booth. probably not, but then again, this is Apple.

generik
Apr 23, 2006, 06:56 PM
Apple's doing something at NAB..With two large booths they arn't just sitting on their hands.

They are parking a bulletproof plexiglass trailer in their booths so that devotees may worship His Steveness. :cool:

el_aarono
Apr 23, 2006, 07:41 PM

I did not read the entire thread (annoying I know), but maybe the reasoning for no official press conference is that NAB is a professional event and Apple has no professional offering right now, but will instead be releasing the MacBook (iBook) at the event mentioned in the invite above. After all, the invite does mention education and the i/MacBook is aimed for that market.

This is a rumor site so why not speculate and read into and connect dots like this? :)

Multimedia
Apr 23, 2006, 07:45 PM
I did not read the entire thread (annoying I know), but maybe the reasoning for no official press conference is that NAB is a professional event and Apple has no professional offering right now, but will instead be releasing the MacBook (iBook) at the event mentioned in the invite above. After all, the invite does mention education and the i/MacBook is aimed for that market.

This is a rumor site so why not speculate and read into and connect dots like this? :)No. No. No El Aarono. The reason Apple is at NAB is specifically because they DO have Professional Offerings - Final Cut Studio and the 15" MacBook Pro plus the Quad PPC G5, one of the most powerful, if not the most powerful, desktops available today. What is disconcerting is that Apple is not having a press conference to discuss any of this nor to introduce the 17" MBP.

This is not a place to discuss the new iBook/MacBook.

You are connecting dots that don't exist sir.

el_aarono
Apr 23, 2006, 08:33 PM
...they DO have Professional Offerings - Final Cut Studio and the 15" MacBook Pro plus the Quad PPC G5...

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant no NEW professional products to announce, meaning perhaps the 17" MBP isn't ready after all, or is being held back for some reason.

What is disconcerting is that Apple is not having a press conference to discuss any of this nor to introduce the 17" MBP.

I agree with you there.

You are connecting dots that don't exist sir.

Well someone's got to do it! This is a rumor site isn't it? ;)

Perhaps there was no announcement today because the only thing currently ready is the i/MacBook, and at a pro event press conference this would just be out of place compared to offerings from competitors at the press conference. Instead they could have a separate event on Monday (as indicated by the invite) to announce them because they are long overdue. What better way to help your education customers than with speedy new laptops? Feel free to disagree. I have no insider information whatsoever. Like I said, I didn't even read the entire thread!

DragonHeart
Apr 24, 2006, 06:42 AM
i don't know if its got to do with the macbook pro 17" but all online stores are down and updating for the moment

MattQiu
Apr 24, 2006, 06:52 AM
yep... UK store down :rolleyes:

illustratorDavi
Apr 24, 2006, 07:02 AM
My feeling is that whatever is released as part of the uk store going down - it is going to be little.

Personally i'm after a new smaller isight to be released - its looking a little tired on there now.

Maybe a small improvement to Powermac / ipod ?

David

monkeyandy
Apr 24, 2006, 07:04 AM
I know this is a bit unrelated but the Apple Store is down! Getting updated! :eek: Soz if someone said this already, i'm just so excited!

ImAlwaysRight
Apr 24, 2006, 07:10 AM
Apple Store Is Down!

jacobj
Apr 24, 2006, 07:13 AM
Apple Store Is Down!

But what does this mean? maybe they are releasing a new mouse mat? A leather one that they didn't release until they got it just right. And it will be worth every penny of the $120 they charge. Oh, the excitement and then the disappointment... it is unbearable.

lietsche
Apr 24, 2006, 07:14 AM
finally the wait is over...

twoodcc
Apr 24, 2006, 07:16 AM
i wonder what it's gonna be......

Photorun
Apr 24, 2006, 07:18 AM
New iPod socks in blue dalmatian and flower power.

traktori
Apr 24, 2006, 07:19 AM
I just happened to seek the new Apple Store Education Finland, and there it was; a new 17" MBP;
- 17" 1680x1050
- 2,16 GHz core duo
- FW400+FW800+3 USB
- 120 GB 5400 rpm
- 8x DL DVD

http://koti.mbnet.fi/anttisaa/Images/MBP17.jpg
http://koti.mbnet.fi/anttisaa/Images/MBP17_1.jpg

besiktas jk
Apr 24, 2006, 07:21 AM
please not a less important small update again, I want to see something really big :D

jacobj
Apr 24, 2006, 07:22 AM
I just happened to seek the new Apple Store Education Finland, and there it was; a new 17" MBP;
- 17" 1680x1050
- 2,16 GHz core duo
- FW400+FW800+3 USB
- 120 GB 5400 rpm
- 8x DL DVD

really?

lietsche
Apr 24, 2006, 07:23 AM
- 17" 1680x1050
- 2,16 GHz core duo
- FW400+FW800+3 USB
- 120 GB 5400 rpm
- 8x DL DVD

how much?
hihi, somehow I don t believe you.;)

iGary
Apr 24, 2006, 07:24 AM
- 17" 1680x1050
- 2,16 GHz core duo
- FW400+FW800+3 USB
- 120 GB 5400 rpm
- 8x DL DVD

$3,350.00????:rolleyes:

jacobj
Apr 24, 2006, 07:25 AM
how much?

The pictures are too real... nobody can knocks those up in that time...

it still pis*es me off because I want the bloody MacBook... I have an MBP, but need the MB for friends... no excitement here for me :(

twoodcc
Apr 24, 2006, 07:26 AM

it still pis*es me off because I want the bloody MacBook... I have an MBP, but need the MB for friends... no excitement here for me :(

i agree. i wanted the Macbook. i wanna see what this thing is gonna look like

lietsche
Apr 24, 2006, 07:28 AM

indeed...
the pictures DO look real...

but the pricedifference is just too less concerning the options: 2.16 standard, fw 800, 8x dl... ??

traktori
Apr 24, 2006, 07:29 AM
how much?
Well you'll see in 1,5 hours... Apple Store Education Finland is opened just few days ago without any notifications so far, and mayde they just tested the website in there... It wasn't shown on the "regular" apple store web site at the same time.

twoodcc
Apr 24, 2006, 07:31 AM
how long does it usually take for the store to come back up?

besiktas jk
i agree. i wanted the Macbook. i wanna see what this thing is gonna look like

yeah, we have a 15.4" MBP available already, a new MBP can wait until the new Macbook arrives, I believe Macbook/ibook should appear first.

jacobj
indeed...
the pictures DO look real...

but the pricedifference is just too less concerning the options: 2.16 standard, fw 800, 8x dl... ??

I agree. For EUR 184 you get a bigger, better screen, 20GB HD upgrade, the top processor and FW800.. that's a lot extra for a little cash.... I know it's education, but still...

jacobj
Apr 24, 2006, 07:32 AM
how long does it usually take for the store to come back up?

anywhere between 30mins and 2 hours.. take your pick

zeppiecr
Apr 24, 2006, 07:32 AM
17" Macbook pro
6.8 lbs
2.16 ghz

$2,799!

lietsche
Apr 24, 2006, 07:33 AM
i am going to order a mbp 15,4 with fcs today.
i actually did not want the 17" model because I believe it is not that handy to transport - but then again: maybe they have no whining issue?
*dream on*

edited typing mistakes

iGary
Apr 24, 2006, 07:35 AM
I ordered a refurb 15" 1.67 yesterday - judging by pricing - glad I did.

I'm officially out of the computer market for a couple of years. :D

zeppiecr
Apr 24, 2006, 07:35 AM
1GB RAM
120 GB hard driver
8x superdrive
Radeon X1600 with 256 memory
3 USB
1 Firewire

skippy64
Apr 24, 2006, 07:36 AM
Uk store Back up

skippy64
Apr 24, 2006, 07:36 AM
Its there boys & girls. Its now playtime

skippy64
Apr 24, 2006, 07:37 AM
17" Macbook Pro £1999

lietsche
Apr 24, 2006, 07:37 AM
Well you'll see in 1,5 hours... Apple Store Education Finland is opened just few days ago without any notifications so far, and mayde they just tested the website in there... It wasn't shown on the "regular" apple store web site at the same time.

you were right.

i have it in my store now.

so from a price pov the 17" is the better pick

Waiting4MacBook
Apr 24, 2006, 07:38 AM
US too...$2799.00 "5x Faster. 36% brighter. Still 1 inch thin."

EDIT: Ha, it's already a "Top Seller"

skippy64
Standard specs ar

17-inch widescreen display
1680 x 1050 resolution
2.16GHz Intel Core Duo (1)

1GB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
120GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory
One FireWire 400, one FireWire 800, and three USB 2.0 ports

jacobj
I wonder is the GPU is clocked at full speed on the 17"... If so that is a lot of extra computer for very little money...

The 15" with the extra HD and CPU is $100 more expensive than the 17".... OMG :eek:

besiktas jk
It's a 17" Macbook Pro as it's expected, still waiting for Macbook.

iGary
Nice price point.

Intel processor.

No thanks. :D

twoodcc
Apr 24, 2006, 07:39 AM
wow, for some reason i'm kinda suprized that they actually released something

traktori
Apr 24, 2006, 07:39 AM
I agree. For EUR 184 you get a bigger, better screen, 20GB HD upgrade, the top processor and FW800.. that's a lot extra for a little cash.... I know it's education, but still...
I don't know if those 15,4" books are priced correctly as the edu store hasn't been opened officially.

twoodcc
Apr 24, 2006, 07:41 AM
2599 with education discount

monkeyandy
Apr 24, 2006, 07:42 AM
It has been released! The big'un

gauchogolfer
Apr 24, 2006, 07:43 AM
I'm happy to see they've included DL superdrive and FW800 in these, it restores some of my faith that Apple listens to its customers. Also, who is going to buy the high-end 15" MBP, when it's only a small price increase for a big gain?

Edit: Not happy to see that a 1GB RAM upgrade still costs $300! C'mon Apple, do you think we can't shop around on our own? Make it a little closer to Crucial/OWC prices and I'd buy from you.

I also would've liked to see the biggest portable support >2GB of RAM, for larger Photoshop/video applications that are the likely target audience for a machine like this.

lietsche
Apr 24, 2006, 07:44 AM
I wonder is the GPU is clocked at full speed on the 17"... If so that is a lot of extra computer for very little money...

The 15" with the extra HD and CPU is $100 more expensive than the 17".... OMG :eek:

there must be a mistake this is impossible

the 15" will drop...

:eek: :confused: :eek:

Edit
In France the MBP 15" with extra HD and 2.16 proc is 220€ more expensive than the same equipped 17". I cannot understand. There must be a mistake it just would not make any sense.

iGary
Apr 24, 2006, 07:46 AM
I take it the 12" PB is a dead duck?

rishi
Apr 24, 2006, 07:46 AM
It seems they have just launched a 17" MacBook Pro

It is there on the website...