PDA

View Full Version : If you could bring back any old Apple product...

BlizzardBomb
Apr 19, 2006, 10:38 AM
...and update it, which one would it be? :)

I would bring back the Cube to fill that wide hole between the Mac Mini and the Power Mac. Then I would basically give it all the same stuff that the Intel iMac has inside of it and make it aluminium to match ACDs!

hikeNM
Apr 19, 2006, 10:47 AM
The design of the G4 imac. But with the G5 inside, obviously.

(Yea, i know it's a dead horse, and been covered in thousands of other threads.)

8thMan
Apr 19, 2006, 10:50 AM
Give me an updated SE30 any day. Light, portable, boots in seconds, no-nonsense monochrome display. I would just love a cheap entry-level Mac that did the basics.

student_trap
Apr 19, 2006, 11:02 AM

(Yea, i know it's a dead horse, and been covered in thousands of other threads.)

I'm with you 100% on this. The imac G4 was an absolute design classic

sunfast
Apr 19, 2006, 11:48 AM

I'd probably prefer one with the Core Duo innards. I love my G4 but I wish it had a little more power....

yg17
Apr 19, 2006, 12:12 PM
Something that resembles the old Mac Classic, just with a bigger screen (gotta be CRT though ;)), intel chip, ect. But still resembling the Classic. Just for ****** and giggles.

neocell
Apr 19, 2006, 12:14 PM
Without a doubt the iMac G4, with dual duo's, 20" maybe 23" screen, TV tuner and all the other bells and whistles.

Demon Hunter
Apr 19, 2006, 12:36 PM
Give me an updated SE30 any day. Light, portable, boots in seconds, no-nonsense monochrome display. I would just love a cheap entry-level Mac that did the basics.

You want to run OS X in monochrome? :p

Bring back Newton! And HyperCard!

jkeithh
Apr 19, 2006, 12:42 PM
I think I would have to say the Cube. I loved mine when I had it.

atari1356
Apr 19, 2006, 12:51 PM
I'd bring back the Pismo/Lombard PowerBook PowerBook casing and put an Intel core duo inside.

Mechcozmo
Apr 19, 2006, 12:51 PM
Pippin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Pippin)
MacTV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_TV)

Moreso the MacTV, but the Pippin would be awesome!

iGary
Apr 19, 2006, 12:52 PM
iMac G4

backupdrummer
Apr 19, 2006, 01:03 PM
With out a doubt the arm from the iMac G4.

Maybe the quickcam too.

dpaanlka
Apr 19, 2006, 01:07 PM
iMac G4 for sure.

With Intel core duo, and isight.

I see a pattern rising here in favor of the iMac G4. Good to know I'm not the only one that misses the crazy display.

...also a classic black powerbook of some sort.

runplaysleeprun
Apr 19, 2006, 01:15 PM
an updated Apple Interactive Television Box (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Interactive_Television_Box)

Stream music, video to your tv/sound system, dvr functions, osx interface. lots of bells and whistles.

n-abounds
Apr 19, 2006, 01:19 PM
Hmm iMac G4 with Intel processor.

But also the iPod Mini, and more specifically, the GOLD iPod Mini. Put a color display on a gold iPod Mini, add a few GBs (maybe 8GB), and I would be happy...forever.

IJ Reilly
Apr 19, 2006, 01:21 PM
I vote for the Newton. It's still a better PDA than anything I've owned since.

powerbookbri
Apr 19, 2006, 01:40 PM
The Original iMac or cube. My first mac was a DV iMac Special Edition - looked hot pink but was a steal - pricewise...

ahunter3
Apr 19, 2006, 01:45 PM
I want a WallStreet PowerBook with a 1400 x 1050 native screen, gibabit ethernet, and a dual-core G4 processor running at 2 GHz. With OS 9 drivers for the hardware changes. And stick a native USB port on it somewheres.

I miss that form factor though.

FoxyKaye
Apr 19, 2006, 02:37 PM
This probably isn't a popular choice, but I say the Clamshell color iBook design - drop in the new Intel chips and include the latest, greatest, that would be a lot of fun. And they were "bulletproof" as well. :D

yg17
Apr 19, 2006, 03:11 PM
This probably isn't a popular choice, but I say the Clamshell color iBook design - drop in the new Intel chips and include the latest, greatest, that would be a lot of fun. And they were "bulletproof" as well. :D

ewww no, not the toilet seat iBooks :p

GimmeSlack12
Apr 19, 2006, 03:26 PM
eMate

Just make it a little smaller and add an iPod and a cell phone to it.

Boom the best thing ever.

Jaffa Cake
Apr 19, 2006, 03:26 PM
Surely – even in today's world of Intel-powered and Windows-bootable Macs – there's a place for Clarus the Dogcow?

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/2077/dogcow8jk.png (http://imageshack.us)

Moof! :D

Demon Hunter
Apr 19, 2006, 03:47 PM
Ah, Clarus.

Why do people want the Cube? Just add a Mini to an acrylic base?

Maybe the quickcam too.

That was a Connectix product.

thedude110
Apr 19, 2006, 03:59 PM

I'm with you on the MacTV.

And the pure raw power of the Lisa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lisa) -- all 1 mb of its glorious RAM made it the MS Office of its day.

yankeefan24
Apr 19, 2006, 04:05 PM
I would say (because I'm a laptop person), bring back the TiBook, Intel Core Duo, and same other specs as MBP.

I also liked the iMac G4, more than the G5, but now, i don't use desktops that much, so the tibook is my vote.

mark!
Apr 19, 2006, 04:31 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/ibook238/apple_images/LimeiBook.jpg

Give me one of these with the dual (or single) core duo & I'll buy it for $3000!
With 2 GB of RAM & a 7200 RPM hard drive with 120 GB of space.
No integrated graphics please.
thanks.

have it by monday? k thanks.

haha jk. but seriously that would be AWESOME.

EDIT: this picture is not mine, I found it on a quick google images search.

Jovian9
Apr 19, 2006, 04:46 PM
Easy:
iMac G4 but with the core-duo and such upgrades inside.

Kuru Kuru
Apr 19, 2006, 04:50 PM
Bring back Newton! And HyperCard!

Yes! I remember when my middle school actually included HyperCard in their computer course. And well, I did stuff with it constantly anyway. HyperCard rocked.
But my ultimate vote does go to the Newton :) Its disappearance registers with me as a weird, twisted setback in the evolution of the PDA. None I have ever laid hands on can quite match it for me.

Yes, and the dogcow. <3 :D

imacintel
Apr 19, 2006, 04:50 PM
Performa

zap2
Apr 19, 2006, 05:34 PM
The Cube, with PowerMac intel Specs

AT prices of a iMac

iamhammill
Apr 19, 2006, 05:37 PM
Newton, or iMac G4 with the Duo.

FF_productions
Apr 19, 2006, 06:28 PM
Another vote for the iMac G4, really a very well designed machine. The iMac G5 is nice and all, but isn't as flexible as the G4 iMac.

jaw04005
Apr 19, 2006, 06:35 PM
I want the iMac G4 back and of course ... colors. :)

jefhatfield
Apr 19, 2006, 06:35 PM
a clamshell ibook...core duo...less than 4.5 lbs. :)

Shaun.P
Apr 19, 2006, 06:42 PM
The G3 iMac!

Available in Graphite and Snow :-

Upgrade to Intel Processors,
Built in Bluetooth and Airport Ready,
Flat CRT screen like the eMac (not curved) and also better quality monitors,
USB 2 Ports,
Built in iSight and Frontrow,
64 MB Graphics Card,
Faster RAM, and 3 RAM slots instead of 2,
7200 RPM Harddrives

mjstew33
Apr 19, 2006, 08:02 PM
PowerBook G3
Core Duo
2GB RAM
120GB HD
basically same specs as now a day MBP's but with the PB G3's design :)

saturnino3
Apr 19, 2006, 08:23 PM
The iMac G4.

I am never selling the iMac G4 700 from back home!!

Mammoth
Apr 19, 2006, 09:44 PM
Bring on the Mac Portable.. :cool: ..with Dual 2Ghz Dual Cores.

Mechcozmo
Apr 19, 2006, 10:33 PM
Bring on the Mac Portable.. :cool: ..with Dual 2Ghz Dual Cores.

With that kind of space, might as well make it a Quad. You'd have room for the heatsinks. :)

blackfox
Apr 19, 2006, 10:46 PM
Another vote for the Pismo PB.

Such great design. Black, curved, elegant. Modular drive bays. Ability for multiple batteries. Tray loading optical drives (not as elegant as slot-load, but less problematic). Durable. Processor on a daughtercard. Liked the 14" footprint.

Update to a core-duo, with a upgradeable GPU and higher-res screen, and it would last forever...

risc
Apr 19, 2006, 10:55 PM
The PPC processor... ;) okay I couldn't care less I'm more interested in upgrades to the OS than seeing old hardware make a return.

BlizzardBomb
Apr 20, 2006, 01:00 AM
Why do people want the Cube? Just add a Mini to an acrylic base?

The main reasons I voted for it was because it has an upgradeable graphics card, 3 RAM slots and there's easily enough room for a proper 3.5" Hard Drive. :)

sunfast
Apr 20, 2006, 03:28 AM
Some one should make this thread into a poll....

jefhatfield
Apr 20, 2006, 09:46 AM

unless you can really simplify it into a few choices, it would have too many categories

many a mac user like machines all the way back to the newton or a blue and white power mac

BlizzardBomb
Apr 20, 2006, 10:19 AM

I did think about that, but as jefhatfield said there's just far too many options and they would be very general.

PegasusMedia
Apr 20, 2006, 10:29 AM
Bring back the hockey puck mouse! I Loved that thing.

Kidding!

It's actually the one mac product I just can't defend.

Marky_Mark
Apr 20, 2006, 05:36 PM
PowerBook Duo 230 - a lovely little machine, and that motorised dock was a piece of art. It was the first Mac I actually parted with money for, all others before having been college or employer provided. Man, I loved that machine. Had it for years, before passing it on to my parents, who still have it now, along with an iMac Indigo and a POS Compaq 'thing'.

aquajet
Apr 20, 2006, 06:11 PM
Bring back the Mac Plus. Except make it out of Aluminium.

Apple could market it as the first sub-$20 Mac.

Mechcozmo
Apr 21, 2006, 06:35 AM
PowerBook Duo 230 - a lovely little machine, and that motorised dock was a piece of art. It was the first Mac I actually parted with money for, all others before having been college or employer provided. Man, I loved that machine. Had it for years, before passing it on to my parents, who still have it now, along with an iMac Indigo and a POS Compaq 'thing'.

I'd agree. Duos were amazing; all the notebook features you wanted on the road, and it just got better once you were in the docking station.

Marky_Mark
Apr 21, 2006, 04:40 PM
^^ After posting my comments, I dragged the PB Duo out of a cupboard while I was over at my parents' house today. I remembered it was tiny (seriously, a magnitude smaller than the competition) when it first came out, but it's about the same size and thickness as my 12" iBook. I couldn't believe I thought it was so small! And blimey it was heavy, too! :D

Perhaps memories are best left as that. I was left feeling rather deflated by the whole experience. My parents also have their old Classic tucked away and I didn't even go there...I didn't want to spoil my nostalgic feelings towards it.

I think, on reflection, that I'll stick with my iBook. Its capabilities are light years ahead of the stuff I have at the back of the cupboard, even if its not exactly cutting edge since the intel boxes came along, or even the G5....

:(

zelmo
Apr 21, 2006, 04:49 PM
Hmmm, I love my G4 iMac but I have to go with the eMate. I would love to see Apple update the eMate with a color display, core solo, and iPod dock, and enough hdd space (80GB) to drop some ripped DVD's on it. Add in A/V out to a TV and wireless card. Make a great consumer sub-notebook/digital hub device for a mere $600.

pacman7331
Apr 22, 2006, 09:11 PM
Yea Clamshell ibook and the Newton handheld.

Both kick ass...

Cube computer with Borg Collective mod would be cool too. :D

puckhead193
Apr 22, 2006, 09:16 PM
a newton and treo all mixed into one...
or the old style trashcan where it actually was "Fat" when you put stuff in it...

senseibiz
Apr 22, 2006, 09:31 PM
.MAC the free version..
LOL

mox358
Apr 22, 2006, 09:57 PM
I have to place my vote for the Newton Messagepad. Although it was a close race with my iMac G4. As long as this thing keeps going I doubt I'll upgrade to the G5/Intel design simply because this is one of the few computers that can be called a work of art.

But alas, Apple started this damn PDA thing, and they deserve to finish the job. With the technologies and the people they have now they could build an amazing Newton that would simply blow Windows Mobile and Palm out of the water.

Demon Hunter
Apr 23, 2006, 02:41 PM

Such great design. Black, curved, elegant. Modular drive bays. Ability for multiple batteries. Tray loading optical drives (not as elegant as slot-load, but less problematic). Durable. Processor on a daughtercard. Liked the 14" footprint.

Update to a core-duo, with a upgradeable GPU and higher-res screen, and it would last forever...

Yes, but they should make it out of carbon fiber. Then it would be indestructible. :D

At least they hold the Newton technology again. If I remember, they didn't have rights to it for a while. :confused:

dsharits
Apr 23, 2006, 03:09 PM
Hmmm, I love my G4 iMac but I have to go with the eMate. I would love to see Apple update the eMate with a color display, core solo, and iPod dock, and enough hdd space (80GB) to drop some ripped DVD's on it. Add in A/V out to a TV and wireless card. Make a great consumer sub-notebook/digital hub device for a mere $600.
Keep the touch screen or replace it with a trackpad?

eatrains
Apr 23, 2006, 03:37 PM
Another vote for the iMac G4. I've had mine for over four years and I still catch myself gazing at it.

&RU
Apr 23, 2006, 05:05 PM
I would like a modern equivalent to the Powermac 5xxx Series computers. And don't say that it is the iMac, because it isn't. Give me an all-in-one with PCI expansion slots, upgradable comm cards, video/radio tuner options, cache card slot, extra on-board system memory, IR port for a TV remote, easy access plug-in motherboard, do I need to keep going? The 5xxx Series had it all baby! It was the ultimate media center... 10 years ago. My 5215cd is still running. Okay, maybe limping.

Show the Powermac 5xxx Series some love!

Mord
Apr 23, 2006, 05:34 PM
cube

upgradeable gfx, HD, memory and cpu.

zap2
Apr 23, 2006, 05:59 PM
a newton and treo all mixed into one...
or the old style trashcan where it actually was "Fat" when you put stuff in it...

i like the trash in it. much nicer then that Windows Recycle bin:)

tweakers_suck
Apr 23, 2006, 06:16 PM
Bring back the hockey puck mouse! I Loved that thing.

Kidding!

It's actually the one mac product I just can't defend.

The hockeypuck mouse is perfect for my two-year old who otherwise has trouble with my two button and scroll-wheel Logitech mouse. It is easier for him to draw and click-drag than the multi-button mice.

The hockeypuck has its place and can be useful. I will defend it for you :D

Benjamin
Apr 23, 2006, 06:48 PM
Either the SE, Ti, or cube.

xsedrinam
Apr 24, 2006, 01:20 AM

Gotta love the pismo.

blink56k
Jul 11, 2006, 03:07 AM
In order of preference
1. G3 iMac
2. Clamshell iBook
3. Cube...maybe :)

Now I have that song stuck in my head from that commercial...she comes in colors everywhere, she combs her hair...lol wow

jaysmith
Jul 17, 2006, 04:19 PM
the old aple studio displays, maybe revised so the legs aren't attached to the front, looks dumb with wall mounting.

celebrian23
Jul 17, 2006, 05:33 PM
ipod 1G.

Killyp
Jul 17, 2006, 06:02 PM
Except with Video support, and it charges off the wheel as you spin it with your finger. You can charge it up wherever you are then :)

jaxstate
Jul 17, 2006, 06:48 PM
Everyone loves the G4 iMac. Mine is great, but soooo slow. I'm about to sell it , it's been a good ride.

steamboat26
Jul 17, 2006, 07:14 PM
I agree with a lot of people on this one, imac G4 with an intel processor in it.

gonyr
Jul 17, 2006, 07:14 PM
imac g4.
that is all.

DJMastaWes
Jul 17, 2006, 07:49 PM
Clamshell iBooks.
iMac G4s.

bigrell486
Jul 21, 2006, 12:56 PM
Bring back the Stylewriter and LaserWriter.

How about a StyleWriter X, LaserWriter X, Color LaserWriter X, and a destinted to be popular, Personal LaserWriter X :eek:

QCassidy352
Jul 21, 2006, 01:09 PM
the Quicksilver powermac G4. I've never liked the powermac G5; put the mac pro in a quicksilver-esque case!

Sesshi
Jul 21, 2006, 01:23 PM
Bring disk Rio Newton 1

:p

dornoforpyros
Jul 21, 2006, 02:17 PM
g4 iMac or g4 cube! and no, the mini doesn't count

SC68Cal
Jul 21, 2006, 02:49 PM
iTools

[/thread]

iBrow
Jul 21, 2006, 03:01 PM
I'd bring back the G4 Cube. :)

redAPPLE
Jul 21, 2006, 03:28 PM
newton.

topicolo
Jul 21, 2006, 03:50 PM
The Apple Quicktake 100 Digital Camera photos (http://www.epi-centre.com/reports/9403cdi.html)

It had the most awesome high-tech-binoculars-like design ever. I used one of those 10 years ago and thought it was soo cool--especially with the amazing 640x480 resolution photos :eek:

redAPPLE
Jul 21, 2006, 03:53 PM

a poll has been made regarding this question. the iMac G4 won hands down, irc.

redAPPLE
Jul 21, 2006, 03:55 PM
unless you can really simplify it into a few choices, it would have too many categories

many a mac user like machines all the way back to the newton or a blue and white power mac

this is off topic. jefhatfield has a "guest" title. have never seen that.

zim
Jul 21, 2006, 04:01 PM
The Apple Quicktake 100 Digital Camera photos (http://www.epi-centre.com/reports/9403cdi.html)

It had the most awesome high-tech-binoculars-like design ever. I used one of those 10 years ago and thought it was soo cool--especially with the amazing 640x480 resolution photos :eek:

Never had a chance to use the 100 but I had the QuickTake 200 and it rocked! It was built like a tank! In fact, my parents still use it :o I loved the 200, when I was in collage I would hook it up to my VCR and use it as a video camera.. :)

So my vote here would be the indestructible QuickTake 200, hehe.

Silencio
Jul 21, 2006, 09:08 PM
^^ After posting my comments, I dragged the PB Duo out of a cupboard while I was over at my parents' house today. I remembered it was tiny (seriously, a magnitude smaller than the competition) when it first came out, but it's about the same size and thickness as my 12" iBook. I couldn't believe I thought it was so small! And blimey it was heavy, too! :D

I had a similar experience a couple of months ago with a Powerbook 170 I found in a client's closet. That was one hot little machine back in the day, but it looked and felt like a total brick when I put it side-by-side with my 12" Powerbook, whose full closed height barely came up to the level of the keyboard/trackball on the opened Powerbook 170.

Imagine how thin and light a modern day Duo could be. If only Apple would take all the best elements of the old Powerbook Duo and the IBM ThinkPad X series, we'd really have something special.

So here's my list:

1. Powerbook Duo
2. Newton
3. Power Macintosh 9600
4. eWorld :p

BornAgainMac
Jul 21, 2006, 09:24 PM
I liked OS 9 and it's traditional Mac look. It would be fun to skin OSX to OS 9 for fun.

Xander562
Jul 21, 2006, 09:34 PM
This might deserve a thread of its own but here it goes:
Everyone here says "i want this back" or "i want this old computer with THESE new innards". WELL? why dont you?! you could probably buy the old cases off ebay or a garage sale somewhere. so why dont you do a little MODIFICATION! make it into a project! it'll be fun and exciting! :) This is what teh Mac community is lacking, it seems the most modification anyone does to their computer is adding more RAM, and even THEN they are sweating out every moment of it. i would LOVE to see someone put a G5 in an old G4 or whatever they want to do. i've seen some AMAZING things done with a PC even if they are PCs the people who built/moded the cases are real craftsmen. Dont get me wrong, i love macs and the mac community. but there is deffinately something it is lacking....

End RANT

DavidFDM
Jul 21, 2006, 09:35 PM
The Mac IIci/IIcx box was one of Apple's most perfect designs. One screw and it all came apart. Great box.

After G
Jul 21, 2006, 10:25 PM
I'd like a Newton.

WannabeMacUser
Jul 27, 2006, 12:15 PM

Lol, my dad has a macTV at work for camera surveillance.

Dracula
Jul 27, 2006, 12:22 PM
I think the original mac looks bad ass.

JSchwage
Sep 3, 2006, 02:44 PM
I'd have to say the Newton. That PDA was ages ahead of all the other PDAs back then. I'm actually considering buying a Newton MessagePad 2000. I'm new to the Apple scene, and it would be my second Apple product.

dsnort
Sep 3, 2006, 06:58 PM
I'd have to say the Newton. That PDA was ages ahead of all the other PDAs back then. I'm actually considering buying a Newton MessagePad 2000. I'm new to the Apple scene, and it would be my second Apple product.

The Newton was my third Apple product. And while it is cool, you must go into it accepting that it is a project to get it to work with any semi modern equipment. It is very capable, but a LOT of work to get it started. And if you're going to get a Newton, get the 2100. More internal memory, slightly better processor.( And by the time you get everything you need, you'll realize you could have bought a top of the line Blackberry)

daneoni
Nov 6, 2006, 08:14 PM
I'd go for Quicksliver case with MacPro innards, Tibooks (sexiest notebooks to date IMHO) with current core 2 duos and of course G4 iMacs with Current processors.

Oh yeah 12" PB with MacBook specs, i dont care how.

emorydunn
Nov 6, 2006, 08:37 PM
A modern newton all the way. upgrade the guts but leave the original software (maybe do some dule booting so you could run OS X Mini and NewtonOS)

thedude110
Nov 6, 2006, 08:44 PM
Fun to look back on threads like these -- gives a real snapshot of MR over the past seven months.

Also gives a sense of both the permanence and the fluidity of our community.

Lord Blackadder
Nov 6, 2006, 08:58 PM
- Resurrect the Cube.
- Do a new all-in one that is based on the original 128k Macintosh shape and footprint.

This thread shall live on!

dpaanlka
Nov 7, 2006, 12:20 AM
I have to change my vote and call for a computer with the functionality of a PowerBook Duo, so it can do this (http://www.danpalka.net/powerbookduo/movies/forqt6/intro1.html) and this (http://www.danpalka.net/powerbookduo/movies/forqt6/intro2.html).

zephead
Nov 7, 2006, 01:27 AM
The iMac G4 looked awesome and a lot more futuristic, and you could move the display to almost any which way you wanted to. The G5/CD/C2D design just goes up and down :p. It's also a shame that the iMac G4 had a shorter era of its own (1/02-8/04) compared to the iMac G3 (8/98-1/02) and the G5/CD/C2D (8/04-who knows). I read a thread a few weeks or a month ago on here about this guy who was trying to put Intel Mini innards into a iMac G4 case, but I haven't heard how that turned out.

Sesshi
Nov 7, 2006, 03:31 AM
I have to change my vote and call for a computer with the functionality of a PowerBook Duo, so it can do this (http://www.danpalka.net/powerbookduo/movies/forqt6/intro1.html) and this (http://www.danpalka.net/powerbookduo/movies/forqt6/intro2.html).

It's a useful feature. Have it on my Dell Latitudes - only the docking mechanism doesn't break. The Duo was a nightmare. My experiences with the Mac on my last outing ('90~'96ish) were generally very positive, but the Duos I had were hopelessly unreliable. Excellent idea though.

RedTomato
Nov 7, 2006, 03:57 AM
POWERBOOK 12'' please!

My brother has one, and it is lovely! Why did Apple stop making them ???

I run a powerbook 15'', and sometimes I think to myself 'dang, wish I had a 12'' to use on the bus'

I liked the toilet seat ibooks too. Nice variety.

Maxiseller
Nov 7, 2006, 06:07 AM
I'm another for the G4 iMac - it's just one of those computers that everyone goes "ahhh" to when they see it.

I don't think Apple really have any "classic" designs in service at the moment - I mean the Ti Book was another for the classic pages but I wonder what we'll be talking about in ten years? The Mac Mini? Hardly.

thequicksilver
Nov 7, 2006, 06:59 PM
I'm another for the G4 iMac - it's just one of those computers that everyone goes "ahhh" to when they see it.

I don't think Apple really have any "classic" designs in service at the moment - I mean the Ti Book was another for the classic pages but I wonder what we'll be talking about in ten years? The Mac Mini? Hardly.

That is a good point. It is worth noting too that the iPod designs are getting less "classic" - the new nano is just a smaller mini, the shuffle is a metallic radio remote, and the big iPod is largely unchanged except for wheel and screen size since 2004.

Has the time for classic Apple design finished, and has the time of true mass market Macs again begun? For example, I can't see Apple allowing the expensively constructed iMac G4 design to come back, or anything similar, if it's serious about regaining marketshare. Back in 2002 they needed something "cool" to showcase the new, pretty, but frankly still slow and unsupported OS X, and this was it. But since the maturity of OS X, no classic designs have come forward.

Time for the software to do the talking, and to keep hardware prices down?

SkyBell
Nov 7, 2006, 07:08 PM
Bring back the iMac G3 (Bondi Blue, of course :D ) And slap a new processor in it. I would cancel my Mini order immeaditly, and buy one.

Ooh, and the iBook G3 Clamshell (If you can't tell, I love G3's :) ) Gotta love the colors!

Put some Mini innards in an LC(I, II, or III) Case!

Bring back the original iPod!

Also If you havn't noticed, I love old Apple Products :D

dvdh
Nov 7, 2006, 07:29 PM
How about the multicolour Apple logo stickers? Those are getting few and far between these days and are still a badge of honour to have on your car.

Mernak
Nov 7, 2006, 09:18 PM
iMac G4
The Cube

as for
This might deserve a thread of its own but here it goes:
Everyone here says "i want this back" or "i want this old computer with THESE new innards". WELL? why dont you?! you could probably buy the old cases off ebay or a garage sale somewhere. so why dont you do a little MODIFICATION! make it into a project! it'll be fun and exciting! This is what teh Mac community is lacking, it seems the most modification anyone does to their computer is adding more RAM, and even THEN they are sweating out every moment of it. i would LOVE to see someone put a G5 in an old G4 or whatever they want to do. i've seen some AMAZING things done with a PC even if they are PCs the people who built/moded the cases are real craftsmen. Dont get me wrong, i love macs and the mac community. but there is deffinately something it is lacking....

End RANT
MacMod (http://www.macmod.com)

gkarris
Nov 8, 2006, 03:50 PM
POWERBOOK 12'' please!

My brother has one, and it is lovely! Why did Apple stop making them ???

I run a powerbook 15'', and sometimes I think to myself 'dang, wish I had a 12'' to use on the bus'

I liked the toilet seat ibooks too. Nice variety.

I'm back to using my 12" Thinkpad X32... I have a 14 iBook G4 too for stuff, but would really like a 12" Intel Mac.

I also would like a 12" iMac Mini sort of like the same rectangular proportions of a Mac Classic and that be a 30th anniversay Mac, for $999 (same price as the Mac Classic). Oh well...

eb6
Nov 8, 2006, 03:52 PM
How about the multicolour Apple logo stickers? Those are getting few and far between these days and are still a badge of honour to have on your car.

I have 2 sheets of those. They were tearing down the junior high in my hometown so we got to go through all the old crap.

Nov 9, 2006, 10:40 AM
My two all time favorite Mac designs of all time:

G4 iMac
G4 Tower

I think the G5/Mac Pro tower just looks stupid.

I bet it wouldn't be hard for Apple to shoehorn the Intel Mini board into a G4 iMac case, with a 20" or 24" display.

Chef Medeski
Nov 9, 2006, 01:54 PM
Netwon all the way. Except more like the UMPC than a PDA.

iMac G4 I agree was the best design. iMac G5 looks like ****.

Plus that commercial where the iMac G4 looks at people as they walk by and crap. Would work great with an iSight. Like you see the iChat of the other person sort of bobbing their head and the camera goes over to the other house. And theres the girl dancing while the iMac follows her.

I would buy one for my desktop if they had the same design.

dmmcintyre3
Nov 4, 2007, 03:29 PM
I do not have a newton or 12 inch PowerBook but I love the size of my 12 inch iBook and I have played with my friends newton before. it was the model right before they got backlights

the newton's screen size is great but the extra bulk of the case is what makes it too big and add color, 802.11N Airport, same battery life, 640x480 screen, can be seen outdoors, solar powered when available, included tv remote program. 1 GHz processor, ethernet, SD/SDHC/SDIO card slot, CF/CFIO slot, 1 expresscard slot,1 PC card slot

queshy
Nov 4, 2007, 06:52 PM
12" pb...but with the specs of a mbp obviously (I'd accept a bit slower obviously).

SuperCompu2
Nov 12, 2007, 01:00 PM
Simply the product names...

iBook, PowerBook, PowerMac.

Apple's being ridiculous thinking they need "mac" in every name so people know its an Apple product. No one I have met can mistake an iBook for an HP or Dell. And PowerBook sounds a hell of a lot more ballsy than MacBook Pro. MBP sounds like his geeky cousin or something.

PowerMac is like a godly image to me, Mac Pro is more like a Mac Classic with a business suit on.

gkarris
Nov 12, 2007, 03:07 PM
A "Mac Classic" type with a 12" square LCD and MacBook parts as a small "all-in-one" - $999 (same is Mac Classic price). Would've been a great 30th Anniversary one...

dsharits
Nov 12, 2007, 07:33 PM
Simply the product names...

iBook, PowerBook, PowerMac.

Apple's being ridiculous thinking they need "mac" in every name so people know its an Apple product. No one I have met can mistake an iBook for an HP or Dell. And PowerBook sounds a hell of a lot more ballsy than MacBook Pro. MBP sounds like his geeky cousin or something.

PowerMac is like a godly image to me, Mac Pro is more like a Mac Classic with a business suit on.

I could not agree with you more. I loved the iNames for the more consumer-oriented products and the PowerNames for the higher end products. The whole Mac naming scheme is stupid, especially the Mac Pro.....yuck.

CalBoy
Nov 12, 2007, 07:56 PM
I could not agree with you more. I loved the iNames for the more consumer-oriented products and the PowerNames for the higher end products. The whole Mac naming scheme is stupid, especially the Mac Pro.....yuck.

I have to agree as well. Macbook pro? WTF is that? At least macbook is simple and easy. Macbook pro trips over itself:rolleyes:

I really would like the old names back. I guess we'll have to wait until Apple switches processors again (if ever).:o

Eidorian
Nov 12, 2007, 07:57 PM
1. Single Processor Power Mac
2. 'i' named consumer products

chris200x9
Nov 12, 2007, 08:36 PM
B&W g3! with dual 3.0 quads! :cool:

macEfan
Nov 14, 2007, 06:01 PM
Leave the performas in the dust...they were slow machines with terrible video output

I want a Qudara 950 with 16 ram slots... with a Quad Core Xeon and space for 10 hard drives...

jwdsail
Nov 21, 2007, 10:18 AM
...and update it, which one would it be? :)

I would bring back the Cube to fill that wide hole between the Mac Mini and the Power Mac. Then I would basically give it all the same stuff that the Intel iMac has inside of it and make it aluminium to match ACDs!

Hypercard...
The idea of a mid-range desktop, with 4 ram slots, PCIe, and a 3.5" HD... Update the Cube.. Update the Centris 650.. Update the LC III... any would be ideal..
The Black more rugged casing from the PowerBook G3.. Would love the innards of my new MBP inside the old black cases...

ClassicMac247
Jan 13, 2008, 10:03 PM
Quicktake would be cool, that or a tablet like walt/newton.

andiwm2003
Jan 13, 2008, 10:15 PM
macwrite pro
macdraw pro
apple works
hypercard
(all of the updated of course for tiger and leopard, but not too many new features please)

netdog
Jan 13, 2008, 10:20 PM
The Cube

Silent! No fan!

razorbeam
Jan 13, 2008, 10:35 PM
iMac G4 with quad processor

iCube
Jan 13, 2008, 10:49 PM
The FireWire iSight webcam! Great product, slick design!!

LizKat
Jan 14, 2008, 03:00 AM

Yeah I just recently gave up my 88 Ford with one of those stickers on it (and 188k miles on the car). I was sad.

My other really old cool Apple thing is a white and red Apple coffee mug I think they gave out when they were pitching "Apple + Unix = A/UX" -- I can't believe I haven't broken that thing yet. I think they should do more coffee mugs. Latte mugs!