PDA

View Full Version : iPod, NV30, Wireless Mice

MacRumors
Feb 7, 2003, 04:35 PM
MacOSRumors claims (http://www.macosrumors.com/) we'll see the following things:

- iPod update "at least a couple of weeks" - but could come "at any moment".
- NV30 by April in PowerMacs
- Wireless keyboards/mice standard this summer or early next year

Billicus
Feb 7, 2003, 04:44 PM
I can see the first and the third ones maybe. But, we just had PowerMac Updates. I don't see the middle one. :rolleyes:

Bear
Feb 7, 2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Macrumors

I don't want wireless keyboard and mice.
I don't want to have to change batteries on them every day.
I don't want them dying while I'm in the middle of something.
I don't want to have to get a second set just to have one set charged all the time.

I can see where for some people wireless would be a good option. But not for everybody. And especially not in a room full of several maqchines.

At the least, Apple has to offer a wired keyboard and mouse setup.

I might like a wireless mouse to avoid dragging a cord around, but I'd still keep a wired mouse for when the batteries in the wireless one died.

Yes, this is a rant. Deal.

Chaszmyr
Feb 7, 2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Bear

I don't want to have to get a second set just to have one set charged all the time.

I can see where for some people wireless would be a good option. But not for everybody. And especially not in a room full of several maqchines.

I might like a wireless mouse to avoid dragging a cord around, but I'd still keep a wired mouse for when the batteries in the wireless one died.

I agree... Almost without exception wireless devices do not work as well or as reliably as wired devices.

stuckwithme247
Feb 7, 2003, 04:49 PM

the batteries last like a month. shut up.

Bear
Feb 7, 2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by stuckwithme247

the batteries last like a month. shut up.
A month for what type of usage? Over 8 hours a day? I doubt it.

stuckwithme247
Feb 7, 2003, 04:57 PM

A month for what type of usage? Over 8 hours a day? I doubt it.

I don't know what kind of usage you do, but i change mine monthly.

t^3
Feb 7, 2003, 05:01 PM
Being an innovative company, I'm sure Apple will do something to address this, like using them as wired devices and charging them thru USB when the batteries are running low - sort of like the iPod!

stuckwithme247
Feb 7, 2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by t^3
Being an innovative company, I'm sure Apple will do something to address this, like using them as wired devices and charging them thru USB when the batteries are running low - sort of like the iPod!
exactly, i could care less if i have to charge it overnight like every few weeks

moosecat
Feb 7, 2003, 05:34 PM
The wireless keyboard rumor suffers from a common MOSR problem: The timeframe when it is supposed to happen is so long and indeterminate that we will never be able to say "He was wrong." However, we will be able to say "He was right" if he happens to be right.

I feel like a lot of MOSR rumors are stabs in the dark (either by the guy who runs it or the people who feed him info), hoping that one will come true and the site will look heroic.

Any rumor that might happen "next year" (when we're still in February) is pretty worthless to me.

cc bcc
Feb 7, 2003, 05:35 PM
NV30 I don't think so. Rumors say that the GeForce FX chip may be discontinued and the NV35 may released sooner.
NVidia already said that until the end of may, only 100.000 chips will be produced.

link (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7658)

Anyway, the NV30 is just a little bit faster than the ATi 9700 pro. And ATi will release the 9900 pro soon, now that's interesting!

zulgand04
Feb 7, 2003, 06:00 PM
i have a logitech wireless mouse got it for christmas, i use it a min 6 hours a day and i have the same batteri i put in dec 25th.

ps sorry for the spelling

hvfsl
Feb 7, 2003, 06:13 PM
Have any of you heard the noise of the fans on the Geforce FX, putting a Geforce FX in a Mac will make it sound like aircraft. I expect Apple will wait for the NV35 or just put an underclocked NV30 in new Macs. Anyway the NV30 is not that much faster than the ATI9700. Go to www.tomshardware.com for details.

yzedf
Feb 7, 2003, 06:15 PM
there are now mice with Li-ion battery that has a charging station that you set the mouse into when it's not in use.

wireless keyboard is lame IMNSHO.

ELYXR
Feb 7, 2003, 06:22 PM
Apple will be releasing "MousePod"... it's an MP3 player that doubles as a firewire mouse ... The laser also doubles as an annoying laser pointer thingy. :rolleyes:

Why doesn't Apple release a WiPod? The WiFi iPod...??? It works in Pocket PC's and now Apple has Airport Extreme. Just food for thought.

tumbleweed
Feb 7, 2003, 06:28 PM
Rather than trying to 'trump' the PC world with required wireless input devices (hardly a trump considering the PC world has had that available for years), Apple would be much better off by simply catching up to what the PC world has that is great in this area - properly-designed keyboards and mice.

An ergonomic keyboard should've been made by Apple before anyone else, considering Apple's boasts about good industrial design. That _Microsoft_, of all companies, should be the industrial design leader in this area should have made Apple NUTS years ago, but still no sign of an ergonomic keyboard by Apple? Unbelievable.

And the one button mouse - what a ridiculous idea. The speedup in interfacing with the computer when you have a multibutton mouse are obvious to anyone who's actually tried them for any length of time, and the scrollwheel advantage is just as substantial.

Apple could make a really beautiful ergonomic keyboard and multibutton scrollwheel mouse and wow the world, yet they're concerning themselves with 'wireless'?

Gimme a break.

Nebrie
Feb 7, 2003, 06:29 PM
Wireless mice uh huh. Apple charges $60 for a damn plastic chunk. Wireless? HAH! The $169 mouse is born. I'd rather see Apple lower their prices than this moronic move that only a select few want, not to mention that if you want one, BUY ANOTHER BRAND. That's what we have to do for a 2 button mouse, and that's what we'll have to do for a wireless mouse. Not like they can do anything innovative with it.

Das
Feb 7, 2003, 06:35 PM
Speaking of wireless mice, *drooool* (http://www.maccessories.com/products/pro_mic_d1085.html)

As for the NV30. Why would anyone possibly want that noise machine over a 9700 pro?

springscansing
Feb 7, 2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Nebrie
Wireless mice uh huh. Apple charges $60 for a damn plastic chunk. Wireless? HAH! The $169 mouse is born. I'd rather see Apple lower their prices than this moronic move that only a select few want, not to mention that if you want one, BUY ANOTHER BRAND. That's what we have to do for a 2 button mouse, and that's what we'll have to do for a wireless mouse. Not like they can do anything innovative with it.

I guess you do not remember when the pro extended keyboard was 130 bucks. The prices now are like a godsend to me. :-)

job
Feb 7, 2003, 10:38 PM
The NV30 is DOA.

Due to raw force it should be far superior to the 9700 Pro, but it just does not make the cut.

ELYXR
Feb 7, 2003, 10:46 PM
I read the review at Tom's Hardware... that sucker takes up the AGP slot and one of the PCI slots (see picture)... they even posted MP3's of the machine booting up with the GeForce FX 5800 and the ATI Radeon 9700... noisy as hell!!! :confused:

MrMacMan
Feb 7, 2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by ELYXR
I read the review at Tom's Hardware... that sucker takes up the AGP slot and one of the PCI slots (see picture)... they even posted MP3's of the machine booting up with the GeForce FX 5800 and the ATI Radeon 9700... noisy as hell!!! :confused:

Acually I heard this was true but one of the 3ed party re-packagers said that they got the noise down to 7 db (extremly low) and that nvida was cooling it all wrong.

Search google.

topicolo
Feb 8, 2003, 01:08 AM
that would only be in 2d mode. Nvidia released a revision that turned off the fan in 2d mode but it still gets ear-splittingly loud in 3d

sparks9
Feb 8, 2003, 03:14 AM
So I guess this is not the right time to buy an iPod...

Telomar
Feb 8, 2003, 04:37 AM
The GeForce FX is really an example of what happens when you can't make something work and you are getting desperate to get a product out.

As for wireless keyboards and mice they are hideous. I'm amazed nobody has mentioned how insecure and buggy they can be.

I love this quote the best though:

'"- iPod update "at least a couple of weeks" - but could come "at any moment".'

So what's being said is they really have no clue about when the update is coming they just no vaguely some time in the future it will come. Think that's stating the obvious a bit.

Vlade
Feb 8, 2003, 08:06 AM
What is so hard about adding a 2 button mouse? I ask my friend "Why don't you get a mac", his first response is They have 1 button mice. I know this can be solved for $20 at walmart(thats what I did), but apple needs to drop their $60 mouse and add a $20 kensington lazer 3 button mouse.

iPods would be sweet, unfortunitly I can't buy one now (saving for a car)

I doubt the GF FX will be out in march (mabey summer if were lucky) because its not even available for PCs yet

bigguysi
Feb 8, 2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Macrumors
MacOSRumors claims (http://www.macosrumors.com/) we'll see the following things:

- iPod update "at least a couple of weeks" - but could come "at any moment".
- NV30 by April in PowerMacs

I just hope the new wireless mice are bluetooth. Bluetooth mice would go perfect with my new 12'' powerbook. Yeah, I also hope apple thinks of something creative for the battery issue if they are going to use the mouse on there desktop machines.

Feb 8, 2003, 11:17 AM
I hope more people contact Apple with negative feedback about the wireless keyboard & mouse....... then maybe they will change their plans. Regarding the GeForceFX, it already looks like it's a monumental failure. We can't even get ti4600's in the iMac, so I doubt PowerMacs will ever use them.

redAPPLE
Feb 8, 2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by 3777
I hope more people contact Apple with negative feedback about the wireless keyboard & mouse....... then maybe they will change their plans. Regarding the GeForceFX, it already looks like it's a monumental failure. We can't even get ti4600's in the iMac, so I doubt PowerMacs will ever use them.

did i miss something? i do not think i read that Apple is (as a matter of fact) building (or even planning) to create and sell wireless input devices.

why send negative feedback, because a rumor site speculated about this?

i think, the beta testers would give negative feedback, if the devices are really ****ty.

i think Apple has really good beta testers.

as of now, we do not really have a ****ty product right?

beta testers should be able to say how much they would pay for a product.

Feb 8, 2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by redAPPLE

did i miss something? i do not think i read that Apple is (as a matter of fact) building (or even planning) to create and sell wireless input devices.

why send negative feedback, because a rumor site speculated about this?

i think, the beta testers would give negative feedback, if the devices are really ****ty.

i think Apple has really good beta testers.

as of now, we do not really have a ****ty product right?

beta testers should be able to say how much they would pay for a product.

I prefer to speak for myself:o ..........:cool:

JtheLemur
Feb 8, 2003, 01:34 PM
My NEW Apple Rumor Site:

* iPods will be updated sometime in the next few months, We can't release specifics, but the changes will be great!

* PowerMacs will be fully updated, new chips too, in the next few months. They will blow the doors off the older generation ones!

* new iBooks are coming down the pipe in the next few months. Expect a revised design and faster speeds. Woo!

* Apple is working on wireless keyboards and mice. Expect them in the coming months. They're going to be cool!

......... yeah.

pauld
Feb 8, 2003, 02:52 PM
a nice lady in the London Apple store told me that there should be new iPods within "the next few weeks".

Chisholm
Feb 8, 2003, 05:55 PM
I've had a Logitech radio frequency keyboard/ mouse combo for about 8 months now and love it. I change the batteries about every 6-7 weeks. The mouse always goes out first, but I change the batteries in both at the same time. The "old" keyboard batteries I save for remote controls since they use so little energy. I would love a bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

-John

cubist
Feb 8, 2003, 06:08 PM
Apple did a ergonomic keyboard thing many years ago, long before Microsoft's. It swung apart in the middle, unlike Microsoft's with its weird "hill". All of these ergo keyboard attempts have one thing in common: They stink for typing.

I'm a touch-typist, and I really like the older IBM keyboards with their clicky feel; they're almost perfect. I could get one of those usb/ps2 gizmos and connect an IBM keyboard to my cube. But nah, the pro keyboard is good enough. It's a LOT better than the cheap $14 keyboards most PCs come with.

I liked the feel of the pro mouse, but the cable problems are just terrible. The best mouse I've used is the Logitech marble mouse trackball (two buttons). Unlike other trackballs, it has no backlash, because it is optical. It's always at the same place on the desk, and very tiny finger movements are all that is necessary. And it's the only trackball I've seen that is usable by a left-handed person.

Actually, the best plan might be for Apple to just get out of the mouse and keyboard business. They can resell Logitech's products.

As for the iPod rumor, I think that's great: "We expect updates someday... but it might be soon, or it might not." Wow!:rolleyes:

krhodus
Feb 8, 2003, 06:43 PM
I personally would like to see a wireless keyboard and mouse. All the wireless keyboards for mac are windows keybords modified for mac that look like crap.

MacFan25
Feb 9, 2003, 07:58 AM
I would like to see a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse. I used to have a wireless mouse for my old PC, and I liked it. I have never used a wireless keyboard.

tsugaru
Feb 9, 2003, 03:20 PM
On the issue of battery life, I would hope Apple has a kinetic recharging thing for recharging the battery, or a cradle like the Logitech cordless series have now. Seiko have watches that run entirely off wrist movement power, albeit a watch takes a lot less power than an optical mouse (I assume at least 100x less)

I'm not a big fan of wireless, due to the fact that there is some signal latency compared to a wired set of equal peripherals. But it would be pretty neat for laptop users.

MacCoaster
Feb 9, 2003, 03:53 PM
My dad bought me a really nice Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse set.

It warns you in Windows when batteries are low. I haven't replaced my keyboard batteries since Christmas, but the mouse one replaced one time like two weeks ago.

Hell, it warned me THRICE before I finally decided to grab some new batteries. No interruptions at all.

I expect it to function similarly in Mac OS X.

shadowfax
Feb 9, 2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by MacCoaster

I expect it to function similarly in Mac OS X.

i hate to say i'd be surprised, but i'd be surprised. but then again, MS has some really good apple programmers.

allow me to add my nay to the GF FX thing... its PC releases looks questionable at best, and one on apple seems unlikely to occur anytime soon after that, if it even occurs.

topicolo
Feb 9, 2003, 05:05 PM
Well, the GF FX's coup de grace is Nvidia's recent annoucement stating that the GF FX Ultra will never be released to the general public (a slower version will be sold instead). The ultra version was the one that was competitive with the radeon 9700. Add that to ATi's recent announcement that the Radeon 9700 is now available for mac, and I think I can see who the winner is. Nvidia's making the same blunders 3Dfx made with their Voodoo 5 series, and we all know what happened to 3dfx!
Time to go buy some ATi stock!