PDA

View Full Version : Apple Building New 50-Acre Campus

iGary
Apr 19, 2006, 02:16 PM
SAN FRANCISCO, April 19 (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc. is planning to build a new, 50-acre campus near its present headquarters in Cupertino, California, company Chief Executive Steve Jobs said.

"What's happened at Apple is that our business has basically tripled in the last five or six years," Jobs said on Tuesday evening at a Cupertino city council meeting, which was recorded and viewable as an archived Webcast.

He said the company "has gone from $6 billion in sales to $20 billion in sales, basically." Analysts expect Apple to post $20.3 billion in revenue for its fiscal 2006 ending in September, according to Reuters Estimates.

Jobs said it would likely take three to four years to design and build the campus that could accommodate 3,000 to 3,500 employees.

An Apple spokesman, who was present at the meeting, confirmed the company's plans to build the second campus.

"We're pretty thrilled," Jobs told the city council members. "Since we're your largest taxpayer, I thought you might be happy for us."

Apple has been rejuvenated since it introduced its market-leading iPod digital music player in 2001 and is in the process of moving its entire Macintosh computer line to Intel Corp. chips from those made by International Business Machines Corp.

Jobs said that, in addition to its current Cupertino headquarters, Apple employees are spread among 30 other buildings.

"We've rented every scrap of building we could find in Cupertino," Jobs said, who noted that Apple had recently purchased the nine separate, contiguous parcels.

Apple plans to raze the buildings now on the property and design and build new ones, Jobs said. The new campus will be about a mile away from its current headquarters.

Apple was famously started in Jobs' parents' garage in Silicon Valley by Jobs and co-founder Steve Wozniak 30 years ago this month.

Jobs said that about a year later, Apple relocated to Cupertino, where it has had its headquarters ever since.

"We'll probably get larger still," Jobs said referring to the company's overall business and work force.

JoeG4
Apr 19, 2006, 04:32 PM
Whoa, that's interesting! I wonder what it'll look like, and what the new address will be o_O

This means no more "1 infinite loop" on their mailing address huh :\ I'm gonna miss that.

But hey, growth is awesome! When was the last time you heard about a company in the US expanding and hiring new employees instead of shutting down offices and laying off employees?

runninmac
"We've rented every scrap of building we could find in Cupertino," Jobs said, who noted that Apple had recently purchased the nine separate, contiguous parcels.

Wow thats crazy!

Eniregnat
Looks like I have time to finish school and improve my résumé if I want t work for Apple.

9 parcels. Perhaps Jobs is still listening to the Beatles.

Number 9 Number 9 Number 9 Number 9

I hope this works for Apple and Cupertino.

avensis087
Apr 19, 2006, 04:33 PM
awesome! keep on growin apple!

mr

Mitch1984
Apr 19, 2006, 04:35 PM
Nice but why not build one giant building to house everybody!?

WildCowboy
Apr 19, 2006, 04:40 PM
The most poorly attended Stevenote™ ever... :D

You can see the Webcast here (http://cupertino.granicus.com/ViewPublisher.php?view_id=5)...Steve's presentation is about eight and a half minutes into the webcast.

boncellis
Apr 19, 2006, 04:41 PM
I agree that this sounds like good news--but for whom exactly? Just shareholders or Apple consumers as well? This amount of growth implies that Apple has big plans for the future; plans that extend beyond "selling more iPods and MacBook Pros." Part of me hopes that Apple doesn't get too big, though, so the forest can still be seen through the trees.

This makes me wonder what Apple has in store for the near future!

PruneTracy
Apr 19, 2006, 04:42 PM
now maybe they'll have room to give me a job!

ATG
Apr 19, 2006, 04:43 PM
Nice :). Can't wait to see the building's design.

Not so happy about tech support from india.

winmacguy
Apr 19, 2006, 04:46 PM
Must have been all those forum posts about moving to India...;)

WildCowboy
Apr 19, 2006, 04:48 PM
It looks like the property is located here (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&ll=37.331607,-122.008839&spn=0.018905,0.033088&t=h&om=1).

He mentions the vicinity of 280, Pruneridge and Tantau across from the HP research park. I believe that HP is bounded by Homestead, Tantau, Pruneridge, and Wolfe. Apple may be the property directly south of that, across Pruneridge.

Mac Fly (film)
Apr 19, 2006, 05:04 PM
And I thought the loop was infinite! Ah well there's always room for another one!:D

ChrisA
Apr 19, 2006, 05:04 PM
When was the last time you heard about a company in the US expanding and hiring new employees instead of shutting down offices and laying off employees?

Many companies are hiring. Some are despert for emplyees. My company offers a $2,500 refferal fee. If I find someone to work here I get $2,500 the week after he reports to work. Almost every place I go I see "help wanted" signs but most are worded more like ads "X is a great place to work with photos a happy emplyees in the background." I see this at Raytheon and at McDondalds ant all ends of the economy.

Everyplace except manufacturing and airlines

Got 10+ years experiance in enginerring, US citizenship and want to work in So Cal. Send me a PM.

Sirin
Apr 19, 2006, 05:09 PM
How many people were there? 12?

paddy
Apr 19, 2006, 05:12 PM
Who rated this as negative. Hands up?

mackeeper
Apr 19, 2006, 05:14 PM
It looks like the property is located here (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&ll=37.331607,-122.008839&spn=0.018905,0.033088&t=h&om=1).

He mentions the vicinity of 280, Pruneridge and Tantau across from the HP research park. I believe that HP is bounded by Homestead, Tantau, Pruneridge, and Wolfe. Apple may be the property directly south of that, across Pruneridge.

Can you see my house?

MrCrowbar
Apr 19, 2006, 05:15 PM
How many people were there? 12?

Why bother going there if there's a webcast? :rolleyes:

joepunk
Apr 19, 2006, 05:24 PM
Looks like I have time to finish school and improve my résumé if I want t work for Apple.

9 parcels. Perhaps Jobs is still listening to the Beatles.

Number 9 Number 9 Number 9 Number 9

I hope this works for Apple and Cupertino.
Better get my résumé looking spiffy and my portfolio dialed in/up/out/whatever :D Of course here's wishful thinking that Apple will be hiring for design jobs by then.

I could easily design for Apple, but not hair care products and such.

t^3
Apr 19, 2006, 05:26 PM
Whoa, that's interesting! I wonder what it'll look like, and what the new address will be o_O

This means no more "1 infinite loop" on their mailing address huh :\ I'm gonna miss that.
Steve mentioned that they will be using both campuses, so 1 Infinite Loop will stay. I don't think there was any implication that they would be moving their official headquarters to the new campus. Rather, they are trying to consolidate the offices outside of the headquarters.

You can see the Webcast here (http://cupertino.granicus.com/ViewPublisher.php?view_id=5)...Steve's presentation is about eight and a half minutes into the webcast.
Also the shortest Stevenote ever, about 6 minutes!

Doctor Q
Apr 19, 2006, 05:48 PM
If you have comments specifically about tech support and the center in India, rather than about this new campus, please use the Apple to set up 3000-person tech support center in India thread.

Posts in this thread solely on that topic have been moved to that thread.

Mac Fly (film)
Apr 19, 2006, 06:08 PM
Even though they're NOT side by side. I would say they will give the second campus the address: 2 infinite loop!!:D

mjstew33
Apr 19, 2006, 06:10 PM
That's great! Showing Apple has a long future, imo. :)

mac-er
Apr 19, 2006, 06:26 PM
I like how they kept calling him Mr. Job.

And, what was that one woman talking about comparing it (the building of the campus) to raising a child. WTF?

WildCowboy
Apr 19, 2006, 06:42 PM
And, what was that one woman talking about comparing it (the building of the campus) to raising a child. WTF?

Makes sense to me...Cupertino has watched Apple grow and lead the personal computer revolution, suffer through dark times, and now rise to prominence once again, all while providing it with a home. It appears that Apple and Cupertino are both thankful for the apparently good relationship they've had over the years...sounds an awful lot like a parent-child relationship to me.

McScooby
Apr 19, 2006, 06:47 PM

What happened to the QT Stream?! Surely as the major taxpayer in the area, the council could at least support Apple, Steve must have been peeved if he had to see it again on Realplayer or WindowsMedia!

Otherwise great news, especially dropping in the line to do with "It's costing us a lot more but..." obviously he's looking for cash to subsidise it, after all what's the $4bn in Apple's wallet going to get used for?!

mac-er
Apr 19, 2006, 06:47 PM
Makes sense to me...Cupertino has watched Apple grow and lead the personal computer revolution, suffer through dark times, and now rise to prominence once again, all while providing it with a home. It appears that Apple and Cupertino are both thankful for the apparently good relationship they've had over the years...sounds an awful lot like a parent-child relationship to me.

I didn't take what that what was her metaphor was about...I thought she was comparing the building of the campus to raising a child because she said it right after Steve talked about designing the campus and getting approvals.

sam10685
Apr 19, 2006, 06:48 PM
Apple's building a 50-acre thing... we're all gonna die! wait, just kiding. (how big is the 1 Infinite Loop campus they have now?)

WildCowboy
Apr 19, 2006, 06:56 PM
how big is the 1 Infinite Loop campus they have now?

Looks to be about 35 acres, including the parking lots around the outside of Infinite Loop...the interior cluster of buildings is about 13-14 acres.

Some_Big_Spoon
Apr 19, 2006, 07:05 PM
Maybe they can finally have a company store that has updated fonts :-D

cc bcc
Apr 19, 2006, 07:15 PM
So why Cupertino. Jobs only says they like it there, but that's not how you decide on such huge investments. It obviously costs a lot, he mentioned that several times.

WildCowboy
Apr 19, 2006, 07:17 PM
So why Cupertino. Jobs only says they like it there, but that's not how you decide on such huge investments. It obviously costs a lot, he mentioned that several times.

Well, there are certainly efficiencies associated with being close to company headquarters...reduced travel time for meetings, deliveries, etc. There are also efficiencies from limiting the number of municipal entities they have to deal with in terms of taxes, zoning, etc.

Doctor Q
Apr 19, 2006, 07:23 PM
Maybe they'll even wire the new campus for Internet access. :)

Seriously, I wonder if the brand new buildings, built for the way Apple works today, will have any advantages over the current campus.

Do non-executive Apple employees work in cubicles?

Mac Fly (film)
Apr 19, 2006, 07:26 PM
Who rated this as negative. Hands up?
Exactly! Almost half the quotes are negitive?

ClimbingTheLog
Apr 19, 2006, 07:59 PM

Apple understands knowledge workers - they give each engineer an office with a window.

daysleeper
Apr 19, 2006, 08:02 PM
I found an artist's rendering of steve opening the new campus:http://computer-vet.com/weblog/pictures/2004-12-20-charlie10.jpg

reyesmac
Apr 19, 2006, 08:07 PM
I guess that explains why they have been saving up so much money these past few years. They better not tear down the old place though.

mikea
Apr 19, 2006, 08:08 PM
Hey,
Maybe the new "MacBbok" will be ready in time for the opening of this new facility. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
50 Acres for a campus wheeewww! GO apple GO!

ClimbingTheLog
Apr 19, 2006, 08:10 PM
Unusual that the CEO would do the City Council presentation. I think Steve Jobs was just buttering up the City Council for when he proposes drilling the tube between the two campuses. Supposedly a three-minute ride leaving each side every 5 minutes, or 10 minutes max between the campuses. So it doesn't really matter which campus you're on and the road doesn't need to be full of stinky ugly Apple buses.

I'm not sure it's such a great idea in an active seismic zone, but if Apple does anything, it builds highly-efficient best-of-breen iconic solutions.

And Microsoft doesn't have one. :cool:

hob
Apr 19, 2006, 08:13 PM
I never... ever... EVER thought in ALL my days that I would be forced to watch Steve Jobs on a Windows Media Stream...!!! :p

worked pretty seamlessly though...

I would hope they'd address the new campus as 0 Infinite Loop (as opposed to 2!)... Keepin' it binary!!

Unusual that the CEO would do the City Council presentation. I think Steve Jobs was just buttering up the City Council for when he proposes drilling the tube between the two campuses.
Unusual yes... but a subway? Do you know something we don't?!

macEfan
Apr 19, 2006, 08:28 PM
cool, its nice to know that apple is still expanding :).... It will be weird that apple will have to change its address..... That good that apple is doing so well, I hope that within the next few years, ipods dont go out of style

neutrino23
Apr 19, 2006, 08:50 PM
Got 10+ years experiance in enginerring, US citizenship and want to work in So Cal. Send me a PM.

"enginerring" - is that the specialty of designing in obsolescence? :p

Moving a headquarters like this would be very difficult. The Peninsula is a very desirable place to live. If they decided to move Apple out of state to someplace cheaper it could be catastrophic. With a company like Apple most of the value is in the people. If a large fraction of them quit you lose a vast amount of knowledge.

I lived through this. My company was bought by a British firm who moved it to the desert outside of LA. Six people out of 157 agreed to move. Before the move we had about a 40% market share. After about six years the company disappeared entirely.

sam10685
Apr 19, 2006, 09:30 PM
I guess that explains why they have been saving up so much money these past few years. They better not tear down the old place though.

they wont. they're building this for more space... not "new" space.

Mammoth
Apr 19, 2006, 09:40 PM
Even though they're NOT side by side. I would say they will give the second campus the address: 2 infinite loop!!:D

There already is 2 Infinite Loop, it goes up to 6 Infinite Loop around the building, 6 being the loading dock. ;)

WildCowboy
Apr 19, 2006, 09:50 PM
There already is 2 Infinite Loop, it goes up to 6 Infinite Loop around the building, 6 being the loading dock. ;)

And the new property isn't on Infinite Loop, so there's no chance of it being called "X" Infinite Loop.

Rocket Rion
Apr 19, 2006, 10:01 PM
It's awesome that Apple is spending so much on Cupertino, meanwhile spending so little on the AppleCare campus in Austin. Tiny raises, revoked profit sharing, short staffing, etc. We're like the bastard child.

No, I'm not bitter.

xPismo
Apr 19, 2006, 10:24 PM
yay!

I honest to god got a little weepy when I read this. Great to see Apple growing again. I remember the days when the campus represented the glory days long since gone of Apple. Now Apple is expanding once again, horray!

I just hope they keep the same airy, yet functional look to the new campus. Make us proud Steve, make Apple2 Insanly Great.

szark
Apr 19, 2006, 11:33 PM

The new campus could be located on:

Endless Loop (similar, but different)
Mobius Strip

:D

As someone who is interested in architecture, I can't wait to see what they come up with for the design. The current campus has some really nice design elements.

AidenShaw
Apr 19, 2006, 11:37 PM
The new campus could be located on:

Endless Loop (similar, but different)
Mobius Strip

There's always

Disk Drive

Superdrive
Apr 20, 2006, 12:17 AM
There's always

Disk Drive

Seagate has a place on Disk Drive in Bloomington, MN.

Kingsly
Apr 20, 2006, 12:36 AM
That is hilarious!

Maybe the new building will be a giant Apple logo visible from space, with an enclosed bridge leading to the executive offices in the stem. :D

the.snitch
Apr 20, 2006, 12:41 AM

Is this the locations your speaking of. If so, I'm with steve that they were very lucky to be able to acquire all those buildings side by side. And The location couldn't be better. They are both next to freeway on/off ramps, making it perfect proximity to the original campus.

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/3852/map25tg.th.jpg (http://img83.imageshack.us/my.php?image=map25tg.jpg)
edit: Better pic

redAPPLE
Apr 20, 2006, 01:22 AM

i would vote for 'Apple iVenue One'. or 1 Big Boom.

redAPPLE
Apr 20, 2006, 01:29 AM

would it not me grammatically correct to say 2 infinite loops? what's in a name?

the.snitch
Apr 20, 2006, 01:39 AM
i would vote for 'Apple iVenue One'. or 1 Big Boom.

How about 1 More thing..

redAPPLE
Apr 20, 2006, 01:43 AM
How about 1 More thing..

i think you got something there.

the.snitch
Apr 20, 2006, 01:49 AM
i think you got something there.

wait...It just came to to me...the perfect pun....

iComp Lane

...or they could continue the influence from Music Artist 'The Postal Service', like their recent iMac tv ad, and call the the street

Such Great Heights

I just can't handle the wit.

darwen
Apr 20, 2006, 02:01 AM

Does anyone else find it ironic that the video is only offered in Windows Media Player or Real?

the.snitch
Apr 20, 2006, 02:07 AM
Does anyone else find it ironic that the video is only offered in Windows Media Player or Real?
You can see a quicktime here:

http://chrissaribay.com/2006/04/second-cupertino-campus.html

PS. might be a bit slow as the site is pointed to by TUAW

AidenShaw
Apr 20, 2006, 06:36 AM

How about the intersection of "Disc Drive" and "Tape Drive"?

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?pan=w&ovi=1&mapdata=slIDb%2fBv9J%2fnJHOlYWmHW46FG9NFB8fSfXkD7OHl10uwnMmeRaw7AGXGEAAfx38RRcg2RVlkCTBrsmtGB7C4ePQW aDm8JBfJGDxDbYSlyxtNC54GF8o%2f8rd9KylgeiRf%2blc2hN%2fvld1kI%2fEk80EpLWwXxwRJbVjQFFLw24KFSAVy1ygdQ%2f PF8SEQlC8QgNXvBzPBdUxhmpMKqLP7Iij1GryRatpfp9veYxI%2fDye3axVvzL5uRLBdX5OHP0hvQj8YgswMQEFwXa2aMyEghca7 gAVG%2boSn4p9U3HaPaxfcsaqv4JtdUyMBMFCWEtCJpzMZHCaYXfE4ddG9vETw%2bOofhpxJpwZSuxrJIES%2bYn%2f0UHtCk3SD FkM4fO%2fPw5x%2fCM%2fFD2osYXe8%2bBc8Lyv5uDPe%2flBXDotRR7tijLMqyr%2bs81X8pgP%2f30ZeShyGKVFxYGAhH2ufnQ 1NMktYDErRXuzWv7MXOS%2fZLJUAUkNAb4Q%2f10pTowTInOljfT4%2fHWniIo9cIigGnBDytd2Thjta1D3lPcvxj2seSLqHT8pY Bta5N0fc3ytSWt3vsiMq4OXwC940aC4DH7RgqPV3%2bRazy0E19TkYFb9BvIf%2fow8OCVnTvbguW4RoiYdC62NnV5AV8XHtKYAl Pg7SIzzAKa68cUvFkiDrz0eAmFFz#map1-link

electronboy
Apr 20, 2006, 08:22 AM

What's wrong with 2 Infinite Loop? That's the benefit to having a vanity address, you can make it what ever you want.

ClimbingTheLog
Apr 20, 2006, 09:06 AM
What's wrong with 2 Infinite Loop? That's the benefit to having a vanity address, you can make it what ever you want.

The campuses are a going to be a mile apart. Infinite Loop is the name of the road. You can't have two roads a mile apart with the same name. E911 would forbid it, even if it made sense in our universe.

If this were 10 years ago Kawasaki might have been able to convince them to call it "1 Macintosh Way". But "1 iPod Way" just doesn't make sense. They'll take name suggestions from employees.

Only Real for me - Flip4Mac doesn't stream it right on my machine.

Not surprisingly the Real stream works really well in comparison, until the server gets overwhelmed and drops the connection. Too bad the company is so butthead-driven.

philbeeney
Apr 20, 2006, 10:14 AM
"We're pretty thrilled," Jobs told the city council members. "Since we're your largest taxpayer, I thought you might be happy for us."

Why do I find that comment funny.? At least Steve's RDF is still in good shape. :D

Chris Bangle
Apr 20, 2006, 11:26 AM
The plots a funny shape. I reckon it will be made of aluminum and lucite with a bit of wood. I reckon it will be a giant powermac on its side and the holes are the windows and the usb ports are doors.

steveh
Apr 20, 2006, 12:12 PM

There's no room anywhere at that end of the Valley to build something the size of the Pentagon.

Which is pretty much what it would take.

Looks to be about 35 acres, including the parking lots around the outside of Infinite Loop...the interior cluster of buildings is about 13-14 acres.

The site was originally built by Four Phase Systems, when they relocated from their original site on Tantau.

Four Phase was acquired by Motorola Computer Systems, and when they were moved out to Arizona, Apple got the facility. It made sense; Apple was scattered all over Cupertino, mostly a block west, several of their buildings were strung along De Anza Blvd across the street.

Moving a headquarters like this would be very difficult. The Peninsula is a very desirable place to live. If they decided to move Apple out of state to someplace cheaper it could be catastrophic. With a company like Apple most of the value is in the people. If a large fraction of them quit you lose a vast amount of knowledge.

While most of the cost is people, the #2 cost is facilities; Apple is spread out as is, though not a badly as a lot of other sizeable companies. This is going to be expensive, but not as bad it might be.

Almost wish I was back working at Apple. Almost.

tom_s
Apr 20, 2006, 01:00 PM
There's always

Disk Drive

We're talking about Apple, it would be SuperDrive.

iDrinkKoolAid
Apr 20, 2006, 02:51 PM
Do non-executive Apple employees work in cubicles?

Apple is amazing in the way that they treat their engineers really well. Most engineers get their own office, or have an office mate at the worst.

ClimbingTheLog
Apr 20, 2006, 02:54 PM
Apple is amazing in the way that they treat their engineers really well. Most engineers get their own office, or have an office mate at the worst.

With windows and wall-height whiteboards.

It's amazing - it turns out if you don't treat engineers like caged animals they perform better. Who'd'a'thunk?

Macinbest
Apr 20, 2006, 06:01 PM
It better have an icon garden :D

the.snitch
Apr 20, 2006, 07:29 PM
We're talking about Apple, it would be SuperDrive.

Thats a sweet suggestion!

AtHomeBoy_2000
Apr 20, 2006, 11:47 PM
Here is an arial view of the location of the new Cupertino Campus...
Apple East (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=19200+Pruneridge+Ave,+Cupertino,+CA+95014&ll=37.331164,-122.008045&spn=0.009452,0.023775&t=h&om=1)

Is this the locations your speaking of. If so, I'm with steve that they were very lucky to be able to acquire all those buildings side by side. And The location couldn't be better. They are both next to freeway on/off ramps, making it perfect proximity to the original campus.

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/3852/map25tg.th.jpg (http://img83.imageshack.us/my.php?image=map25tg.jpg)
edit: Better pic
DAMN! you beat me to it! :p

dejo
Apr 20, 2006, 11:51 PM

You think they are taking over that apartment complex on the west side also? I wonder...

Marble
Apr 21, 2006, 02:22 AM
I hope they do something creative with the space. The current layout of the new lot isn't quite as stylish from the air as the gorgeous Infinite Loop.

Bosunsfate
Apr 21, 2006, 09:30 PM

I assume you mean, wouldn't a different location in Silicon Valley be cheaper? Becuase moving out this area altogether makes no sense at all and trying to compare real-estate costs or taxes is a non-issue.

As someone else pointed out as well. The move alone would be costly, not just in $ but more importantly in intellectual capital.

ClimbingTheLog
Apr 22, 2006, 04:28 PM
I hope they do something creative with the space. The current layout of the new lot isn't quite as stylish from the air as the gorgeous Infinite Loop.

The Infinite Loop Campus is roughly square in shape. You did watch the video where Steve says they're going to take down the existing buildings and start with a new design, right?

Willis
Apr 23, 2006, 02:39 PM
i like the way Steve is wearing his usual black shirt, blue jeans in the webcast.

bketchum
Apr 25, 2006, 08:58 PM
i like the way Steve is wearing his usual black shirt, blue jeans in the webcast.

I like how healthy and good humored he is. I was worried he was sick.