PDA

View Full Version : animated movies

weezer160
Feb 7, 2003, 07:58 PM
what software would i have to buy, if i wanted to start making animated movies? any suggestions or knowledge would be appreciated

Mr. Anderson
Feb 7, 2003, 11:00 PM
What sort of animated movies do you want to make? 2D, 3D, traditional? There are lots of options, lots of price ranges.

Try and be more specific so we can point you in the right direction.

D

weezer160
Feb 7, 2003, 11:37 PM
animated movies to be specific. i'm also not sure if there are specific types of animation, but you know, something not too advanced, but i don't want to work with complete stick figures. something that'll show off my creative abilities to be short.

Mr. Anderson
Feb 8, 2003, 09:18 AM
again, there is a huge difference with the 2D and 3D and a whole lot to learn. I do 3D animation and I'm no where near where I'd like to be in terms of skill. I probably will always be learning. :D

So do you want 2D - flash animation type movies or something like Toy Story (but more simple) That's the basic difference.

D

teabgs
Mar 1, 2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by weezer160
animated movies to be specific. i'm also not sure if there are specific types of animation, but you know, something not too advanced, but i don't want to work with complete stick figures. something that'll show off my creative abilities to be short.

I know this is a bit late....but I am just now seeing this for the first time...

AHEM: Buahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!
:D :D :D

.....sorry bout that...couldn't help it...

Weezer, we got some stuff to worry about before we consider software (or hardware for that matter) so that you can animate.

First, you need to learn ABOUT animation before you can animate.

Animation World Magazine (http://www.awn.com)

That is your best place to look for now. There's enough learning there to last you a while. When you're done goto a bookstore and Get "The Animator's Survival Kit" By Dick Williams

read it and re-read it until you understand what animation is...and how to do it...maybe. ;)

......I somehow doubt he'll read this since there hasnt been a response in almost a month...sigh...a wasted good post.

Mr. Anderson
Mar 3, 2003, 08:51 AM
Ah, the Animators Survival Kit, I've read parts of that but not the whole thing, don't own a copy. I'll have to go and take a look at it again. Thanks for reminding me about that one.

D

teabgs
Mar 3, 2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Ah, the Animators Survival Kit, I've read parts of that but not the whole thing, don't own a copy. I'll have to go and take a look at it again. Thanks for reminding me about that one.

D

hehe no prob.

I don't actually own it either...but we have a copy at work.....and I've been meaning to buy it for over a year now....oh well, Eventually...

It is a great book though....I should own it..

Mr. Anderson
Mar 3, 2003, 09:23 AM
Ha, just went to Amazon.com and ordered it - it was only $21.00 and I got free shipping. That works for me! Probably get it next week though.

D :D