PDA

View Full Version : 900Mhz iBook G3....... I bought one.

macgeek2005
Apr 20, 2006, 12:07 PM
I know this is kinda invalid to be posting here, because i've already bought it, but i'm feeling a little skeptical.. so I thought i'd just ask what you guys think.

I just bought for $484 (including shipping and insurance), a pre-owned 12 inch 900Mhz G3 iBook. It has everything the way it came originaly. Radeon 7500/32mb, 256mb of ram, 40GB hard drive, and Combo drive.

Do you think what I did was a good idea? Keep in mind that i'm not planning to get a macbook pro until they have Merom, so I got this to hold me over until then.

Thanks,

edit: I don't have it yet, I only ordered it yesterday.

baby duck monge
Apr 20, 2006, 12:19 PM
I would say you overpaid by a bit, BUT it's not a bad computer. As long as you're not looking to do anything terribly intense on it, and if you're planning on ungrading to a new laptop in the vaguely near future, you should be fine. Though I would look into adding a bit more RAM to that bad boy - you will see a vast improvement by knocking it up to 640MB.

I used the 800mhz version as a backup computer until recently (though I had wireless, which was nice), and it served its purpose nobly.

Arnaud
Apr 20, 2006, 12:22 PM
Hi,

It all depends on what you plan to do with it...
I've got one, albeit 700MHz, in addition to my iMac G5 1.8GHz.

I like the fact that it's small and compact, and still decent for all I plan to do with it - i.e., what I need to do when away from the G5, like word processing, excel, small graphic works, video playing and the like -.

It runs fairly well, I must say, for these tasks, even Illustrator and Photoshop (for small tasks, and with some time for the filters). But I go back to the iMac for video edition and heavier works.

You might want to max up the ram, though. And beware: iLife'06 won't run on it.

Hope it helps,
Arnaud.

Arnaud
Apr 20, 2006, 12:24 PM
The thing is, a laptop never loses all value, as it's always portable. The same cannot be said for (more powerful) desktop units (about the value, and also the portability of course :) )

A.

macgeek2005
Apr 20, 2006, 12:26 PM
Hi,

It all depends on what you plan to do with it...
I've got one, albeit 700MHz, in addition to my iMac G5 1.8GHz.

I like the fact that it's small and compact, and still decent for all I plan to do with it - i.e., what I need to do when away from the G5, like word processing, excel, small graphic works, video playing and the like -.

It runs fairly well, I must say, for these tasks, even Illustrator and Photoshop (for small tasks, and with some time for the filters). But I go back to the iMac for video edition and heavier works.

You might want to max up the ram, though. And beware: iLife'06 won't run on it.

Hope it helps,
Arnaud.

iLife 06 won't run on it? Why not, is it in the system requirments?

edit: How easy is it to install ram in an iBook? I've never done it, nor seen it done.

Eidorian
Apr 20, 2006, 12:39 PM
iLife 06 won't run on it? Why not, is it in the system requirments?

edit: How easy is it to install ram in an iBook? I've never done it, nor seen it done.You need a G4 for iLife '06.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/50.4.0.html

macgeek2005
Apr 20, 2006, 12:41 PM
Alright thanks! I can't afford a 512 chip right now... for some reason they're like $90, and the 256's are $27. Maybe i'll get a 256, and have 384mb in my computer.. that wouldn't be so bad would it?

Eidorian
Apr 20, 2006, 12:43 PM
Alright thanks! I can't afford a 512 chip right now... for some reason they're like $90, and the 256's are $27. Maybe i'll get a 256, and have 384mb in my computer.. that wouldn't be so bad would it?It'll be a little sluggish but you'll survive.

macgeek2005
Apr 20, 2006, 12:45 PM
It'll be a little sluggish but you'll survive.

Wait a second. The computer operates fine with 256. Going to 384 would be an upgrade, making it work fairly well. Am I wrong?

Eidorian
Apr 20, 2006, 12:47 PM
Wait a second. The computer operates fine with 256. Going to 384 would be an upgrade, making it work fairly well. Am I wrong?I used an iBook G3 500 MHz with 10.3.9 and 384 MB of RAM. It was sluggish from time to time. That's with just Finder and Safari open. I believe it was due to the lack of Quartz Extreme though.

macgeek2005
Apr 20, 2006, 12:49 PM
I used an iBook G3 500 MHz with 10.3.9 and 384 MB of RAM. It was sluggish from time to time. That's with just Finder and Safari open. I believe it was due to the lack of Quartz Extreme though.

What's Quartz Extreme? Will I be able to get it?

Eidorian
Apr 20, 2006, 01:08 PM
What's Quartz Extreme? Will I be able to get it?Yes, you have a Radeon in that iBook.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartz_Extreme

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/quartzextreme/

baby duck monge
Apr 20, 2006, 01:10 PM
What's Quartz Extreme? Will I be able to get it?

Quartz Extreme is a method of taking some of the load from graphics work off your processor, and yes your computer will support it. As to your question about RAM installation, it's exceedingly simple, and only requires a small screw driver.

macgeek2005
Apr 20, 2006, 01:14 PM
Quartz Extreme is a method of taking some of the load from graphics work off your processor, and yes your computer will support it. As to your question about RAM installation, it's exceedingly simple, and only requires a small screw driver.

Is Quartz extreme built into tiger? Cause i'll be installing Tiger the minute I get the computer (It comes with Panther on it).

Eidorian
Apr 20, 2006, 01:23 PM
Is Quartz extreme built into tiger? Cause i'll be installing Tiger the minute I get the computer (It comes with Panther on it).It's been in OS X since 10.2.

macgeek2005
Apr 20, 2006, 01:25 PM
Oh right! The 500mhz ibook doesn't have a radeon. Alright.. well I won't get any ram for starters, and see how it runs.. if it's a bit too slow, i'll get a 256, if it's alot too slow, i'll get a 512.

Thanks for the help.

human657
Apr 20, 2006, 01:34 PM
you'll be glad you did. I promise.

FF_productions
Apr 20, 2006, 01:37 PM
The more ram, the better, have at least 512 if you want acceptable performance.

macgeek2005
Apr 20, 2006, 01:49 PM
The more ram, the better, have at least 512 if you want acceptable performance.

Damn, I really don't have the money for it though. I have $16!!! That's all! Like seriously. I could sell my Extended Lord of the Rings Trilogy or something.. but I don't really want too.

Play Ultimate
Apr 20, 2006, 02:17 PM
My wife uses the computer that you have.
It uses iLife '05, etc. Has I think 640MB of Ram. Works fine with OS10.3.9 no problems. (Didn't see a need to go to Panther since we can't get DSL/Cable at the house. Not willing to pay for satellite yet.)

Be aware of the logic board issue. On that computer there is a known problem of a wire breaking across the hinge and the screen going out. (We've had it repaired twice in the <3 years that we've had it, most recently two months ago.)

Take a look at the Apple website here:
http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

Note that the program ended in 2005, or 3 years after original purchase;which is probably coming up real soon on that computer.

Also, it takes the original Airport card only, which Apple no longer makes.

macgeek2005
Apr 20, 2006, 02:23 PM
My wife uses the computer that you have.
It uses iLife '05, etc. Has I think 640MB of Ram. Works fine with OS10.3.9 no problems. (Didn't see a need to go to Panther since we can't get DSL/Cable at the house. Not willing to pay for satellite yet.)

Be aware of the logic board issue. On that computer there is a known problem of a wire breaking across the hinge and the screen going out. (We've had it repaired twice in the <3 years that we've had it, most recently two months ago.)

Take a look at the Apple website here:

Note that the program ended in 2005, or 3 years after original purchase;which is probably coming up real soon on that computer.

Also, it takes the original Airport card only, which Apple no longer makes.

What exactly do you mean by "Note that the program ended in 2005, or 3 years after original purchase;which is probably coming up real soon on that computer."??

I don't quite understand.

baby duck monge
Apr 20, 2006, 02:33 PM
What exactly do you mean by "Note that the program ended in 2005, or 3 years after original purchase;which is probably coming up real soon on that computer."??

I don't quite understand.

He means that if you haven't already passed it, you're quickly coming up on the date after which you will no longer be eligible for the repair. You probably won't need it, though, so don't worry about it too much.

And as far as the RAM goes, I ran my 800mhz one with only 128 until I could afford the 512 stick to add to it. It was slow as all get out, and you could only really run one program at a time, but it worked. When I got the 512 to add it was like getting a whole new computer! So stick with what you've got until you can go all the way, and then don't hesitate to max it out. Be sure to keep your eyes open at dealram.com for good deals.

macgeek2005
Apr 20, 2006, 02:36 PM
He means that if you haven't already passed it, you're quickly coming up on the date after which you will no longer be eligible for the repair. You probably won't need it, though, so don't worry about it too much.

And as far as the RAM goes, I ran my 800mhz one with only 128 until I could afford the 512 stick to add to it. It was slow as all get out, and you could only really run one program at a time, but it worked. When I got the 512 to add it was like getting a whole new computer! So stick with what you've got until you can go all the way, and then don't hesitate to max it out. Be sure to keep your eyes open at dealram.com for good deals.

Okay, so the logic board thing doesn't happen on every unit right? Good. In that case, it won't happen on mine, because my computers never have problems. It's not that i'm lucky in getting perfect units, I just believe that they will not have problems, and as long as I believe, it happends.

About the ram... yeah, i'll stick with the 256 for now, and then upgrade to 640 later. All i'll really be doing is typing, playing some old games (Reckless Drivin, Cro-Mag Rally etc), and maybe composing in Sibelius 3, which runs fine on older systems.

macgeek2005
Apr 21, 2006, 10:30 PM
Hey guys, sorry for double posting, and bringing this thread back up... but this is giving me a headache. What are the chances that my logic board is gonna fail, and my screen will go black, and i'll have thrown $484 into the garbage?

Did this problem happen on EVERY unit? Please tell me it wasn't that common a problem.........

thanks..... :confused:

topicolo
Apr 21, 2006, 11:07 PM
hey macgeek, I sent you a PM about some ram for your ibook if you're interested.

macgeek2005
Apr 21, 2006, 11:17 PM
Hey guys, sorry for double posting, and bringing this thread back up... but this is giving me a headache. What are the chances that my logic board is gonna fail, and my screen will go black, and i'll have thrown $484 into the garbage?

Did this problem happen on EVERY unit? Please tell me it wasn't that common a problem.........

thanks..... :confused:

Does anyone have anything to say about this post of mine?

coachingguy
Apr 21, 2006, 11:25 PM
I used that machine with 384 Ram and an airport card for nearly 3 years of intensive daily work. We still have it, it's my wife portable. We're running 10.3.9 on it. As a teacher, I ran multiple apps, with many windows open all of the time. That machine was bullet proof for me. I replaced the logic board one time. It worked great thereafter and continues to run great. I actually bought a 15" PB 1.67 maxed out, had it for about two weeks and basically exchanged it for a iBook G4 and a G5 iMac 2.0ghz.

We've all read the horror stories about the few people who had their logic board replaced many multiple times. I'd wager though that most were one replacement or no replacement. I think you'll be perfectly happy with your new (To You) iBook. Most iBook people LOVE and trust them to work without reservation.

I would totally agree to go to at least 384 or more RAM. But don't worry and Be Happy and Enjoy your new iBook:D :D

Coachingguy

macgeek2005
Apr 21, 2006, 11:34 PM
I used that machine with 384 Ram and an airport card for nearly 3 years of intensive daily work. We still have it, it's my wife portable. We're running 10.3.9 on it. As a teacher, I ran multiple apps, with many windows open all of the time. That machine was bullet proof for me. I replaced the logic board one time. It worked great thereafter and continues to run great. I actually bought a 15" PB 1.67 maxed out, had it for about two weeks and basically exchanged it for a iBook G4 and a G5 iMac 2.0ghz.

We've all read the horror stories about the few people who had their logic board replaced many multiple times. I'd wager though that most were one replacement or no replacement. I think you'll be perfectly happy with your new (To You) iBook. Most iBook people LOVE and trust them to work without reservation.

I would totally agree to go to at least 384 or more RAM. But don't worry and Be Happy and Enjoy your new iBook:D :D

Coachingguy

Thanks! That makes me feel better... sorta. You did say that the logic board did blow for you eventually right? Is that what you meant, when you said you had it replaced?

What does it take to "fix" it when it does it's thing, whatever that is?

coachingguy
Apr 21, 2006, 11:48 PM
It was a Monday morning, about 18 months into my ownership. The screen just went black. Being a Macrumors follower, I knew what had happened. I called Apple, answer about 6 questions. They sent me a box on Tuesday, I made the FedEx guy wait while I boxed it up. I had it back Thursday morning by 10:30am. No cost, no harm, no foul. And, and I didn't have...drum roll please... Applecare...:rolleyes: So getting it fixed was not a problem. If your machine is going to go, it's already done it. My new logic board works fine.

Here's Apple's link on the topic.

I'm guessing they are probably figuring they've already repaired all the bad ones. Look at it this way, I liked the iBook so much, I stayed with the line instead of the PB.

Good Luck and Enjoy, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Coachingguy

macgeek2005
Apr 21, 2006, 11:55 PM
It was a Monday morning, about 18 months into my ownership. The screen just went black. Being a Macrumors follower, I knew what had happened. I called Apple, answer about 6 questions. They sent me a box on Tuesday, I made the FedEx guy wait while I boxed it up. I had it back Thursday morning by 10:30am. No cost, no harm, no foul. And, and I didn't have...drum roll please... Applecare...:rolleyes: So getting it fixed was not a problem. If your machine is going to go, it's already done it. My new logic board works fine.

Here's Apple's link on the topic.

I'm guessing they are probably figuring they've already repaired all the bad ones. Look at it this way, I liked the iBook so much, I stayed with the line instead of the PB.

Good Luck and Enjoy, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Coachingguy

Wow, so apple will just repair it for free if it dies? Cool. Thanks for the help.. I can't wait to get it. I'll let you know how it's working, once I get it.

macgeek2005
Apr 22, 2006, 02:19 PM
Oh, does anyone know what speed the hard drive in the iBook is? Is it 4200rpm?

Thanks.

Eidorian
Apr 22, 2006, 02:22 PM
Oh, does anyone know what speed the hard drive in the iBook is? Is it 4200rpm?

Thanks.Yep, it's 4200 RPM's.

Mernak
Apr 23, 2006, 03:21 PM
i dont know about the price you payed, but the actual computer works great. I am currently typing this post on a iBook G3 800mHz with 256 RAM (my main computer. granted i would like to add some ram or figure out how to stop the computer from having so much inactive ram(ill post about this soon im sure). but all things considered its still useful for anything not to processor intensive.
just my $0.02:)

GnarleyMarley
Apr 24, 2006, 07:49 AM
I'm actually really considering a g3 ibook at the moment, I can't wait any longer for the "macbook". Plus I'm going to be taking summer classes this year, so I'd like to have something to make that a little better...

Would ebay be the best bet?

And would y'all have any advice on what to look for? I'm new to the whole mac world.

Thanks.:)

Eidorian
Apr 24, 2006, 09:26 AM
I'm actually really considering a g3 ibook at the moment, I can't wait any longer for the "macbook". Plus I'm going to be taking summer classes this year, so I'd like to have something to make that a little better...

Would ebay be the best bet?

And would y'all have any advice on what to look for? I'm new to the whole mac world.

Thanks.:)How much are you willing to spend?

GnarleyMarley
Apr 24, 2006, 09:31 AM
How much are you willing to spend?

$300ish