Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lundo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
NYC
At this facility, the tape decks are in a rack about 50 ft from the FCP suite. I've run a 15' FW cable plus two 15' Repeater cables between the two (amps built in to the connector, FW-powered). We've had no problems with the DV sources, but when capturing/screening HDV from a JVC HD-50 deck, video at the FCP has intermittent breakup streaking through it every few seconds. It works fine when the JVC is brought into the FCP room and connected with a short FW cable.

Anyone have experience with remote FW interconnection? Do I need to buy a more expensive pair of repeater boxes to make the HDV work?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
It might just be a limitation of HDV since the GOP compression isn't as robust as the compression used for DV. If, using the same deck, DV plays back fine, but HDV does not then I'd assume that's the problem. If the deck has to live in the machine room and the FCP suite has to live in it's current location then your only options seem to be using more powerful repeaters or just physically moving the deck whenever you need to use it w/FCP.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.