PDA

View Full Version : WTF? old eMac g4 faster then my imac intel?

kksolano
Apr 20, 2006, 04:20 PM
My new imac intel is great, but the only thing that really bugs me is that its not too quick at loading up webpages & display. Same with podcast uploads..
My eMac is quicker!

ok. i have some things different.. i'm using a eithernet connection with a speedtouch wireless hub; where my emac was using a usb moden.

Help! this computer should be kicking the can out of my eMac performance wise.. Any ideas?

mkrishnan
Apr 20, 2006, 04:26 PM
Okay, I have to ask the stupid question, because I didn't understand the answer from your post.

So the eMac had a USB modem, and the iMac has wireless connection to an ethernet router.

Is the upstream network the same? That is, are you using the same DSL/Cable/whatever service for both? Cuz if you're not, well, yeah, that's going to make a difference. ;)

I would also try plugging the Mini in, temporarily, by wire. Depending on how fast your internet connection is, you might possibly, in theory, be choked by WiFi... WiFi maxes out at 54 megabits per second, or about 7 megabytes per second. But the speed drops off dramatically and quickly with range and signal quality.

EDIT: Sorry for the confusion...never mind.

kksolano
Apr 20, 2006, 04:37 PM
the emac had a USB modem and the iMac is using a different wireless hub connected to the net via a ethernet connection. (personally i think using airport on a desktop is pointless) Only the imac is connected to the internet, but the preformance dfference is noticeable.