PDA

View Full Version : Annoying bright spot in the middle of my iBook's screen

Voidness
Apr 20, 2006, 06:09 PM
In the past few months, my iBook screen has developed a quite annoying bright "spot" near the middle of the screen. I have no idea what caused it in the first place, but I'm sure it wasn't there when I first got my iBook. The bright "spot" is basically a short vertical line, which vaguely resembles an exclamation mark. It's clearly visible when the area behind it is white.

I have the latest rev 12" iBook, and it's still under warranty. But the problem is, there doesn't seem to be an Apple service center in the area I'm living in. So what do you suggest I do?

disconap
Apr 20, 2006, 06:39 PM
Call Apple and tell them the problem. If it's still under warranty, they'll either talk you through a repair or send out a box with a prepaid shipping tag for them to receive, repair, and/or replace.

Counterfit
Apr 20, 2006, 07:11 PM
This sounds very much like the white spot problem on the first Aluminum 15" PBs, which was fully covered. I figure they'll overnight a box to you so they can replace the display assembly.

Voidness
Apr 21, 2006, 05:05 AM
oops, double post, sorry...

Voidness
Apr 21, 2006, 05:05 AM
I checked the page for the Powerbook white spot issue, it's similar to it, but not as intense.

The problem is, Apple doesn't have a call center in the country I'm in right now. There turns out to be several Apple Authorized Service Providers, but I heard one person there saying they won't service a Mac that wasn't bought from them :mad: So then I checked Apple's hardware warranty policy, and here's what it says:

Apple or its Apple Authorized Service Providers will provide warranty service on products that are tendered or presented for service during the Warranty Period, as permitted by law. If the product is portable, meaning that it can operate independently without a power cord, you may obtain warranty service worldwide.

MacBoobsPro
Apr 21, 2006, 05:30 AM
In the past few months, my iBook screen has developed a quite annoying bright "spot" near the middle of the screen. I have no idea what caused it in the first place, but I'm sure it wasn't there when I first got my iBook. The bright "spot" is basically a short vertical line, which vaguely resembles an exclamation mark. It's clearly visible when the area behind it is white.

I have the latest rev 12" iBook, and it's still under warranty. But the problem is, there doesn't seem to be an Apple service center in the area I'm living in. So what do you suggest I do?

Is this 'white spot' phenomenon not just dead pixels? Have you tried just gently rubbing the area on the monitor? This can sometimes bring the pixels back to life. They can be either stuck on or off! Sounds like they are on.

Voidness
Apr 21, 2006, 05:53 AM
Is this 'white spot' phenomenon not just dead pixels? Have you tried just gently rubbing the area on the monitor? This can sometimes bring the pixels back to life. They can be either stuck on or off! Sounds like they are on.
They're definitely not dead pixels or stuck pixels. As I mentioned above, it's a slightly bright vertical line which vaguely resembles an exclamation mark. It's not a different colour from the rest of the screen, it's just brighter.

I also tried rubbing the area, doesn't seem to have any affect. But I noticed that the longer the screen is on, the more visible it gets.

FFTT
Apr 21, 2006, 06:24 AM
I would be sure to document your problem with Apple immediately, then
get it taken care of under warranty.

The replacement of my daughter's 1.33 GHz 12" iBook display would have cost $465.00 if Apple had not covered it under warranty.

The repair was done by Apple's repair service center and it took 2 weeks round trip
because of a delay in getting a part.