PDA

View Full Version : An oldbie's 12-inch PowerBook story

Demon Hunter
Apr 20, 2006, 06:55 PM
I wanted to share my exuberance with the community. Hopefully it will help balance the problem threads!

I've used Macs for 14 years (I'm 20), so my bias borders on the fanatical. Just so you know.

My new 12-inch PowerBook came from China yesterday, with 100GB HDD and 1.256 RAM. I couldn't be happier.

So far, the construction is flawless. No dead pixels, no warping or wobbling. The LCD is very sturdy, much more so than my 17-inch. The trackpad button has an excellent click, also better than the 17-inch. The latch closes with the right amount of pressure for a tactile feel. The backlight is slightly dim at the bottom, but I think that's to be expected. It's quite bright... it decimates my dad's new 12-inch iBook. All the seams are even, and the lid closes evenly. It passed the Extended Hardware Test no problem.

The far edges of the keyboard are a little flimsy, but I think that's normal too.

I also want to touch on .Mac. Now, I worked at the Apple Store so I know how to sell this. I know the ins and outs, but it still catches me by surprise. For $69 it was a no brainer. To those who cite separate, free services: you're missing the point. It's all about integration!

It's so clever and easy. The e-mail, the iDisk, the websites. They are really pushing Backup 3, and it's unbelievable. Incremental backup, restore versions, multi-source network strategies? Are you serious? I miss the old interface a lot, though.

These features may not benefit everyone, but wow. I can access my Address Book and Bookmarks anywhere, which is important because I'm a commuter student. My presentations and term papers are automatically stored on iDisk daily. I can use .Mac groups for my student organization, and iCal to publish an up-to-date event schedule for everyone to see. I can publish a research blog or photocast with a single click. The aliases prevent me from ever receiving unwanted e-mail, in theory.

They all work together like clockwork: .Mac, iLife, iWork, OS X. Kind of scary.

This old Mac user (not really) is still giddy. :D Bring it on, MacBook with 945 GMA.

macgeek2005
Apr 20, 2006, 06:59 PM
I always have loved the 12 inch powerbooks. I'm jealous of you. I would have bought one if I had the money.

I'm glad it's working out perfectly for you (as it should). :)

brikeh
Apr 21, 2006, 03:08 AM
I recently bought a 12 in pb too, I love it. :o

student_trap
Apr 21, 2006, 04:13 AM
the 12in powerbook is such a well made machine. This is why seeing some mbps with the lid that warped shocked me...i just expected everything to be perfect - like it is on my powerbook. I really believe that they are churning out 12in powerbooks at an almost 100% perfect rate over in china. Good Work. I will be truely disapointed if there isn't some sort of 12/13" mbp, a 13" macbook just wont cut it for me!:(

Bern
Apr 21, 2006, 04:20 AM
I love my 12" Powerbook. It's travelled to many countries with me in the past year since I bought it. Next year I'll be in the market for a Macbook Pro and will miss the convenience of a 12".

Queso
Apr 21, 2006, 04:21 AM
As soon as the first PB12"s appeared at my local Mac store in 2003 I got out my credit card. Mine's now more than 3 years old and still the best computing purchase I ever made. Stunning laptop.

Demon Hunter
Apr 21, 2006, 05:23 AM
Let's all start a 12" PB club. :D

T-Stex
Apr 21, 2006, 07:21 AM
Let's all start a 12" PB club. :D

Count me in. I was originally a little skeptical about the 12" model, but after using mine for about 3 months with no problems whatsoever, I don't think I'd want to go to a bigger screen. I've got a Dell monitor here for when I'm working at my desk, and it's so much easier travelling with this one compared to the 15" PowerBook I got rid of.

calebjohnston
Apr 21, 2006, 07:23 AM
...mm :).

I just bought a 12" PB and the screen doesn't sit right and the harddrive sounds like it's ready to go.

Very happy with mine ! :):):)

grrrrr

Over Achiever
Apr 21, 2006, 07:34 AM
Nice purchase! I'm looking forward to the new MacBooks ... lugging this 17" pb around the U is getting old =)

brikeh
Apr 21, 2006, 08:02 AM

I just bought a 12" PB and the screen doesn't sit right and the harddrive sounds like it's ready to go.

grrrrr

What? That doesnt sound right? Give apple a call!

Rea
Apr 21, 2006, 08:15 AM
Any advie how I can get one of these? How did you buy it in China?
am wondering if to wait for the new generation of Mac-intel processor or go ahead with this one.... sounds like you are happy..

dmw007
Apr 21, 2006, 09:39 AM
I don't have a 12" PowerBook G4,
but I do have a 12" iBook G4 and I love it! :)

Glad to hear about your good experiences with your PowerBook dferrara. :)

mrspur
Apr 21, 2006, 10:18 AM
Let me join the bandwagon too... I just purchased a brand new 12" PB this past week and am really happy with the purchase so far!

We had been trying to hold out as long as we could to purchase the looming MacBook, but absolutely needed a computer this week. Our needs are basic and the PB more than satisfies them. Furthermore, the PB is an established computer on the market, not nearly as susceptible to the potential newborn kinks the new MB's might very well encounter.

We had been borrowing an ibook G4 from my wife's work and loved that little sucker too. I will say that in a side-by-side comparison, the G4's internet reception greatly surpassed that of the PB's, but we're still satisfied with our purchase.

ironic23
Apr 21, 2006, 11:40 AM
i used to have a PB 12" and i thought its design was much better than my current MBP's. In what way you may ask. Well, the fact that the 12" is much smaller than the 15" warrants the hinges to be in the middle. But the fact that the MBP is so wide and has hinges in the middle causes the lid to warp. They should've had the hinges on far ends of the lid rather than to have it in the middle. The stress concentration in the middle will cause the lid to warp more easily.

MikeAppz
Apr 21, 2006, 12:16 PM
A friend of mine has the 12 inch Powerbook and it looks soooo sweet. I have been so close to buying a refurbished one severaly times as I am looking to make the switch soon. I want to hold out for the new MacBook, not necessarily to buy it, but I'm sure the Powerbooks will drop in price after their release. I bet you could get a 12 inch Powerbook for merely 1,000 bucks after the Macbooks come out.

Miles Davis
Apr 21, 2006, 02:59 PM
A couple of questions:

1. How hot is the 12 PB? Compared to an iBook/PB/MBP?

2. Is the display really that much better than the current 12 iBook? I thought they were the same display.

I just got an MBP and am pretty dissapointed with the "odd sound issues" and the heat issues. Also, I find myself longing for the portability of my old iBook, but I love this keyboard and the solid feel of a PB/MPB. This is one of the first good threads I have read on here about the 12PB, more than not I read that it is the "turd" of the portable lines. Any more thoughts would be great, I have been thinking of picking up on of the refurbs for $1199.

Thanks,
M

interlaced
Apr 21, 2006, 03:20 PM
Yay for this thread. I meant to sell my 12" once I got my MBP but I can't let it go. It's so cute and little.

Demon Hunter
Apr 21, 2006, 05:39 PM
If/when they discontinue it, we should make a 12" PB user group. :D

grrrrr

Sorry to hear that. Are you sure our PBs didn't get switched in the mail? I always get the bad ones. :p

I would try and claim DOA!

1. How hot is the 12 PB? Compared to an iBook/PB/MBP?

2. Is the display really that much better than the current 12 iBook? I thought they were the same display.

The 12" PB would be perfect for you. :)

1. I'm not quite sure yet, but they both run quite cool. Not uncomfortable at all (with the last gen).

2. Compared with the ones I've seen, yes. The difference is profound. Very dim. Our 12" iBook could have a defective panel, but my dad didn't care to follow up on it.

They should've had the hinges on far ends of the lid rather than to have it in the middle. The stress concentration in the middle will cause the lid to warp more easily.

Yeah, that's so true. The 17" has two latches to compensate, but the 15" has the warping.

We had been trying to hold out as long as we could to purchase the looming MacBook, but absolutely needed a computer this week. Our needs are basic and the PB more than satisfies them. Furthermore, the PB is an established computer on the market, not nearly as susceptible to the potential newborn kinks the new MB's might very well encounter.

Exactly! I hesitated for a bit, but after hearing about the integrated graphics and larger screen...

Any advie how I can get one of these? How did you buy it in China?
am wondering if to wait for the new generation of Mac-intel processor or go ahead with this one.... sounds like you are happy..

I bought it in the United States, but they're made in China. If you can wait a few more months, I would hold out. But then again, a pro model with 12/13.3" screen isn't likely, based on the latest rumors. Don't look back, whatever you decide. :)

Nice purchase! I'm looking forward to the new MacBooks ... lugging this 17" pb around the U is getting old =)

Cool, I go to the U as well. Also did the 17". :) I ended up leaving my books at home... the laptop by itself is a breeze. But I still didn't use it in lecture much.