PDA

View Full Version : A bigger laptop than the 17" Powerbook?

princealfie
Apr 21, 2006, 12:31 PM
Eurocom M590K Emperor seems to be on the bigger thing than even the 17" Powerbook. 2 graphics cards? Ouch MBP.

Of course there is no way to run Aperture but 2 graphics cards and the potential to have 4 internal hard drives is very scary... Of course, this laptop is the emperor penguins of laptops.

Perhaps time for a 19" Powerbook?:eek:

MIDI_EVIL
Apr 21, 2006, 12:34 PM
Eurocom M590K Emperor seems to be on the bigger thing than even the 17" Powerbook. 2 graphics cards? Ouch MBP.

Of course there is no way to run Aperture but 2 graphics cards and the potential to have 4 internal hard drives is very scary... Of course, this laptop is the emperor penguins of laptops.

You should post a link.

http://www.eurocom.com/newsroom/press/show_press.cfm?id=151

Rich.

Temujin
Apr 21, 2006, 12:36 PM
http://www.eurocom.com/products/future/specselectfuture.cfm?model_id=172

MIDI_EVIL
Apr 21, 2006, 12:40 PM
and the potential to have 4 internal hard drives is very scary... Of course, this laptop is the emperor penguins of laptops.

No, you read that wrong. Only one HD.

Hard Drives: total # 1

Max capacity/rpm.......160GB; 7200rpm

Rich.

dornoforpyros
Apr 21, 2006, 12:41 PM
Personally I think 17" is too big for a laptop. Once you get to this range you should just accept that it's not really a portable computer so much as a computer that's easier to move then a standard desktop. I guess if it's your main machine and your really just moving it from home to office and vice/versa then machines like this make sence.
But I for one don't want to be lugging a 17" LCD around, do you?

ucscc10
Apr 21, 2006, 01:22 PM
this thing is wayy too big! 17 is hardly portable (heck, even a 14 on college desks can be big), and 19 would just be a monster, IMO. i hope it comes with a cart for when you have to move it:p

m-dogg
Apr 21, 2006, 03:15 PM
I'm waiting for Apple to roll out a MacBook Ultimate! :D A laptop with a 30" LCD! :eek: Who says you can't take it with you?!?!?

Seriously, though, I think 15" is the limit in my opinion...

Airforce
Apr 21, 2006, 03:18 PM
There was a thread not too long ago with one or two people really wanting Apple to come out with something like this. I'd never want it, that's for sure.

T-Stex
Apr 21, 2006, 06:11 PM
I'm waiting for Apple to roll out a MacBook Ultimate! :D A laptop with a 30" LCD! :eek: Who says you can't take it with you?!?!?

Just pair up a MacBook Pro with a 30" ACD. It'll look better than this 19" notebook, and probably cost about the same.

calebjohnston
Apr 21, 2006, 06:28 PM
That's not even a laptop anymore at that size. It's just a desktop that all fits on the desk.

zap2
Apr 21, 2006, 06:28 PM
That a iMac with battery on it not a laptop;)

But really the 17'' is almost to big, if you need a 19'' Screen, its time to get a desktop sorry!

trainguy77
Apr 21, 2006, 06:36 PM
If you want a nice big screen just bring a 20" imac with you? Bring a UPS for power.:D

portent
Apr 21, 2006, 06:36 PM
Only 14.3 pounds!

trainguy77
Apr 21, 2006, 06:38 PM
Only 14.3 pounds!
I always knew I had to work out more.

O and your forgot the UPS you will need one with lots of life add 20 pounds!

Gurutech
Apr 21, 2006, 06:41 PM
when I become billionare, I will buy one of these behemoth laptops.. just to brag about it....

:D

Timepass
Apr 21, 2006, 06:56 PM
Only 14.3 pounds!

but as others have points out wieght at that size is not as imporanted. I think the 17in is to large to be a good laptop. It is good to be a desktop replacement that is easy to move from one location to another.

For example it is really good when lets say going from Collage back to home for a break. Take your computer with you. For the most part it is always going to be on your desk. Or if you deside you want to work in another room in the house you can easily move it down there with out a mess of cables. And yes even with the 19in working on the bed is still very do able. A desktop cannt do that.

the 17in is not ment to move around and carry every where with you and people who do I question you sanity or if you are just trying to show off. For me I like 15in it is a good balance bettween the 2 sizes. Small enough to be easy to carry around everyone and large enough to still really work on. 12-13in is just to small for my taste for major working. 15in I can make it a desktop replacement if need be.

trainguy77
Apr 21, 2006, 08:28 PM
but as others have points out wieght at that size is not as imporanted. I think the 17in is to large to be a good laptop. It is good to be a desktop replacement that is easy to move from one location to another.

For example it is really good when lets say going from Collage back to home for a break. Take your computer with you. For the most part it is always going to be on your desk. Or if you deside you want to work in another room in the house you can easily move it down there with out a mess of cables. And yes even with the 19in working on the bed is still very do able. A desktop cannt do that.

the 17in is not ment to move around and carry every where with you and people who do I question you sanity or if you are just trying to show off. For me I like 15in it is a good balance bettween the 2 sizes. Small enough to be easy to carry around everyone and large enough to still really work on. 12-13in is just to small for my taste for major working. 15in I can make it a desktop replacement if need be.

Yes I have been thinking about this for awhile. I will be buying a laptop later this year and I want a 17" because it will be my only computer however I would be bringing it to school everyday. So it may get to big. But I have a big backpack so that may not be a problem.:confused: I don't know which to go for. At least I have a couple months to decide.:o

generik
Apr 21, 2006, 10:51 PM
Only 14.3 pounds!

Wow.. weighs more than a sack of rice :eek:

iHeartTheApple
Apr 22, 2006, 12:55 AM
Yes I have been thinking about this for awhile. I will be buying a laptop later this year and I want a 17" because it will be my only computer however I would be bringing it to school everyday. So it may get to big. But I have a big backpack so that may not be a problem.:confused: I don't know which to go for. At least I have a couple months to decide.:o

I am in your situation, currently...Perhaps I can offer some advice based on my experience:

I'm a grad student and I own a 17" PB and a few desktop PC's at home; however, the PB is my main computer because it's *all* I ever use. I bring it to my office everyday and, up until very recently (I've had it for near on 6mos. now), I haven't found it to be an issue. The weight (for me, at least) is a non-issue...It's light and thin; that's all that counts. The screen real estate is amazing...i mean, amazing! :eek: Safari, iChat, iTunes, Sherlock, TeXShop, and Matlab all on one screen with very little overlap allows me to work faster and more efficiently than I ever did on my old 15" Sony laptop. :)

Having said that, I have recently become enamored by the concept of a very portable, all-in-one computer. I'm a huge fan and daily user of the Apple Newton and I'm a huge supporter/fan of tablet pc's in general (and an Apple iTablet, specifically). Since the Newton is not powerful enough to be a stand alone and there *is no* iTablet, I've begun to eye my officemates' 12" and 15" PB's.

The screen size is a huge perk on the 17", but I tend to want to bring the lappy to more places nowadays (previously the Sony was essentially stationary) and as such, I feel sort of handicapped by its large size. It's more than a little cumbersome to place on your lap or desktop in a typical library study cubical or while sitting outside to simultaneously enjoy the great weather and be productive (more the former than latter :o :D ).

I've had a lot of time to fiddle with the 15" MBP, so I already have formulated my opinion on that size. So, now I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new pro-level model of the 13.3" MacBook and the 17" flagship MBP (just in case :o ). Sorry for the long post, but I figured it might help you or others a bit...

Regarding the OP: Wow! :confused: :eek: that's a monster of the laptop...My limit is definitely 17...

plinkoman
Apr 22, 2006, 01:10 AM
first of all, to the op, where did you get the idea that this thing can have 2 graphic cards and 4 hard drives? you have the choice between 2 graphics cards, but you can't have both http://www.vwvortex.com/zeroforum_graphics/screwy.gif

second, to all those who keep saying the 17" isn't portable... have you ever used one? I own one, and i happen to think it is very portable. it's an inch thin, weighs less then most 15" pc laptops, and provided you get a nice sleeve instead of a massive bag, it is every bit as portable as a 12" laptop. the only difference is when i go home at night, i don't need to plug into an external display, or have a separate computer to display two full pages of text side by side. :cool:

Nermal
Apr 22, 2006, 01:34 AM
where did you get the idea that this thing can have 2 graphic cards

"featuring Nvidia's revolutionary SLI (Scalable Link Interface)Video Technology with two Nvidia GeForce Go7800GTX GPUs each equipped with 256MB of superfast GDDR3."

plinkoman
Apr 22, 2006, 01:40 AM
"featuring Nvidia's revolutionary SLI (Scalable Link Interface)Video Technology with two Nvidia GeForce Go7800GTX GPUs each equipped with 256MB of superfast GDDR3."

my mistake, it did not say anything of the sort on the first posted link, and it seems somewhat unusual for it to say that in one page but not another.

far be it for me to expect logic on the part of their web designers...

Timepass
Apr 22, 2006, 12:37 PM
first of all, to the op, where did you get the idea that this thing can have 2 graphic cards and 4 hard drives? you have the choice between 2 graphics cards, but you can't have both http://www.vwvortex.com/zeroforum_graphics/screwy.gif

second, to all those who keep saying the 17" isn't portable... have you ever used one? I own one, and i happen to think it is very portable. it's an inch thin, weighs less then most 15" pc laptops, and provided you get a nice sleeve instead of a massive bag, it is every bit as portable as a 12" laptop. the only difference is when i go home at night, i don't need to plug into an external display, or have a separate computer to display two full pages of text side by side. :cool:

I going to have to say yes I have used one of those massive laptopls and size of it hurts portiblilty. Reason for it is pulling it out and working on it anywhere can be a problem when space is limitied. Thinkness is normally not an issue or wieght not a big issue to me. But raw area it would take up is a problem.
A 17 incher is harder to deal with at airports or pulling it out and set it on your lap.

The counter question is have you ever used one of those untral potible laptop and see what people mean by that.

The 17in is a great desktop replacement dont get me wrong there. But if you already have a desktop why get a 17 in laptop. You want great portiblilty over screen size. I like 15in is a balance bettween utra portible and then just a moveible desktop.

But like I said about I question people who take a 17in laptop with them everywhere I just think it plan stupid. Heck any one to takes there laptop with them everyone they go I think is not smart but when you go to the 17in is just showing off.

galstaph
Apr 22, 2006, 12:52 PM
Wow, the ultimate solitare machine:p (why else use windows?)

A trifle too big if you ask me, but hey I guess if you have the money why not.

I'll stick with my mac, besides I would just get a desktop 20" imac instead and save a few $$ if I wanted anything like that (a luggable as I like to call them)
How much REAL battery life do they expect from this behemoth? 30min?

A bloated pc for bloatware if you ask me

crazycat
Apr 22, 2006, 01:08 PM
I wish you can get a 17" MacBook Pro with a projector built-in so that you can project a 30" screen onto a wall or pull out a white fabric that allows you to project onto that :)

Josias
Apr 22, 2006, 01:11 PM
I think 17" is great for pro's that wanna lot of workspace. Though, anything above that would be kinda extreme. The you should just get a 20" iMac or a MacMini with 23" ACD.

trainguy77
Apr 22, 2006, 10:37 PM
I am in your situation, currently...Perhaps I can offer some advice based on my experience:

I'm a grad student and I own a 17" PB and a few desktop PC's at home; however, the PB is my main computer because it's *all* I ever use. I bring it to my office everyday and, up until very recently (I've had it for near on 6mos. now), I haven't found it to be an issue. The weight (for me, at least) is a non-issue...It's light and thin; that's all that counts. The screen real estate is amazing...i mean, amazing! :eek: Safari, iChat, iTunes, Sherlock, TeXShop, and Matlab all on one screen with very little overlap allows me to work faster and more efficiently than I ever did on my old 15" Sony laptop. :)

Having said that, I have recently become enamored by the concept of a very portable, all-in-one computer. I'm a huge fan and daily user of the Apple Newton and I'm a huge supporter/fan of tablet pc's in general (and an Apple iTablet, specifically). Since the Newton is not powerful enough to be a stand alone and there *is no* iTablet, I've begun to eye my officemates' 12" and 15" PB's.

The screen size is a huge perk on the 17", but I tend to want to bring the lappy to more places nowadays (previously the Sony was essentially stationary) and as such, I feel sort of handicapped by its large size. It's more than a little cumbersome to place on your lap or desktop in a typical library study cubical or while sitting outside to simultaneously enjoy the great weather and be productive (more the former than latter :o :D ).

I've had a lot of time to fiddle with the 15" MBP, so I already have formulated my opinion on that size. So, now I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new pro-level model of the 13.3" MacBook and the 17" flagship MBP (just in case :o ). Sorry for the long post, but I figured it might help you or others a bit...

Regarding the OP: Wow! :confused: :eek: that's a monster of the laptop...My limit is definitely 17...

Maybe I will go with a 15" and then buy a 17" or 19" monitor for at home, as when I am out it will only be used for typing a word document or maybe browsing the web(probably only word)

diehldun
Apr 23, 2006, 01:16 PM
I bought my 17" PB to replace my desktop and laptop, and I haven't found the size/portability to be an issue at all (it regularly goes on airplanes/trips). I'm very pleased overall with it.

trainguy77
Apr 23, 2006, 03:17 PM
I bought my 17" PB to replace my desktop and laptop, and I haven't found the size/portability to be an issue at all (it regularly goes on airplanes/trips). I'm very pleased overall with it.
You Guys do keep me thinking. I think the size thing is a personal thing so i will have to go play with one at a store and see if i can cart it around ok.:D

plinkoman
Apr 23, 2006, 04:51 PM
I going to have to say yes I have used one of those massive laptopls and size of it hurts portiblilty. Reason for it is pulling it out and working on it anywhere can be a problem when space is limitied. Thinkness is normally not an issue or wieght not a big issue to me. But raw area it would take up is a problem.
A 17 incher is harder to deal with at airports or pulling it out and set it on your lap.

The counter question is have you ever used one of those untral potible laptop and see what people mean by that.

The 17in is a great desktop replacement dont get me wrong there. But if you already have a desktop why get a 17 in laptop. You want great portiblilty over screen size. I like 15in is a balance bettween utra portible and then just a moveible desktop.

But like I said about I question people who take a 17in laptop with them everywhere I just think it plan stupid. Heck any one to takes there laptop with them everyone they go I think is not smart but when you go to the 17in is just showing off.

i have used an ultra portable before too. my first laptop was an ancient compaq with an 8" screen (and a 2" bezel :p ). To be honest, i am never in a situation where i even notice a difference. and of course, portability is really only a matter of opinion, but mine is that it is way more portable then most people give it credit for. I've never had difficulties using it on a desk or in my lap, i can even hold it in one hand while typing with the other. it is light, and thin and i carry it everywhere in a nice thin sleeve; it at no time feels big to me. but please, if you don't agree with me, thats fine, but don't call me stupid or a show off just because i don't think it's too big and you do. :cool:

princealfie
Apr 24, 2006, 11:20 AM
Looks like Apple got that 17" one out now.