PDA

View Full Version : G5 30 GB & Limited space on my Laptop

Anthony1234
Apr 21, 2006, 02:41 PM
Hi,

A few weeks ago, I went to the USA for a business trip (great country to visit by the way).
I decided to buy the black Ipod 5G / 30 GB from San Fransico Apple shop.

The situation:
-I have limite space on my PC (IBM Thinkpad 40GB) to store all my music (at the moment over 12GB).
-I would like to free some space from my PC and remove all my music from my PC.
-I would like to keep all the music in my iPod (my iPod could be used as the master database of my music and not my PC).
-I upload regulary my iTunes with Podcasts and synchro my iPod.
-I have an external hard drive (250GB) to back-up my music and pictures.

The problematic action:
-I removed all music (except the Podcasts) from my PC.
-I syncronise my iPod with my iTunes.
On my big suprise, all music (except the Podcasts) were removed from my iPod.:mad: (fortunately I had them on my external hard drive and place them back to the PC):) .

My question:
How should I program the synchro function of my iTunes to update only my Podcasts and some designated new album?
Knowing that
1) the iPod used as the master of the data´
2) the majority of my music will not be in my PC
3) the external hard drive is seldom connected to the PC

Thank you for your responses.

Please let me know if the question has already been responded.

Regards,

Anthony

Over Achiever
Apr 21, 2006, 02:58 PM
I did that same thing too. If you don't change your music often, then set the music synchronizing to manual. Then just click and drag your music library, and add new music the same way. I do the same thing.

The podcasts should still update automatically, not sure tho'.

Oblivious
Apr 21, 2006, 03:06 PM
Well, one way to do it would be to create a sim-link so that your music folder is on the external hard drive. Then you could keep all of your music in iTunes, and synchronizing to your iPod would be a snap, assuming you had your external HD with you. Other than that, I think manual updating would be the only way.

Over Achiever
Apr 21, 2006, 03:10 PM
Well, one way to do it would be to create a sim-link so that your music folder is on the external hard drive. Then you could keep all of your music in iTunes, and synchronizing to your iPod would be a snap, assuming you had your external HD with you. Other than that, I think manual updating would be the only way.
How does the sim-link work exactly?

sonictonic
Apr 29, 2006, 10:04 AM
I think by "sim link" he/she means alias? :confused:

I too am in this exact situation with my iBook and would like to do this. Only update my podcasts and leave the music on my iPod since it isn't updated or changed nearly as often.

So I'm gonna keep an eye on this post.

Anthony - have you done it yet? Did things go smoothly?

tonywalker23
Apr 29, 2006, 10:12 AM
im almost positive that music update can be set to manual and podcast can be set to sync auto.

Chundles
Apr 29, 2006, 10:20 AM
It's in the iPod preferences. Manually Update songs and Playlists.

I have my music set to manually update and my podcasts set to auto update. Very easy to do.

sonictonic
Apr 29, 2006, 10:31 AM
It's in the iPod preferences. Manually Update songs and Playlists.

I have my music set to manually update and my podcasts set to auto update. Very easy to do.

Yeah but are your podcasts in a different location than your music?

Chundles
Apr 29, 2006, 10:46 AM
All my music is on my iPod - very little of it is still on my laptop. All my podcasts however ARE on my laptop.

If my laptop HDD dies (twice now, fingers crossed it's fine now - seems to be) I just use Senuti to get it all back off the iPod.

BurtonCCC
Apr 29, 2006, 12:07 PM
By the way, if you want to lower the amount of space your music takes up, convert it all to 128kbps AAC. Don't do it all at once though because iTunes makes a copy, essentially doubling how much space it takes (until you delete the original).

I had almost 40GB of music and this cut it down to 28GB.

Daniel.

balamw
Apr 29, 2006, 05:50 PM
I think by "sim link" he/she means alias? :confused:
FWIW you can't do a true Symbolic Link/Alias in Windows. Windows does offer links, but these can't be the same name as the file or folder they point to, and you can do the equivalent of hard links (multiple directory entries pointing at a single file or folder on the same file system) but then you can't point to another file system/drive.

B