Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
I just wanted to announce my foray into the world of digital photography with a DSLR (the cheap P&S died a few weeks back), and to thank everyone for this handy little forum.

Through this forum I learned about the steve's digicams & dpreview review sites, as well as getting folks thoughts/opinions/experiences on the many DSLRs out there.

I picked up my D50 yesterday, and I couldn't be happier. :D It's very similar to the N90s I used to shoot around with, so the learning curve has been pretty easy so far.

I never posted the "which camera should I buy" question, because folks suggestions were pretty clear already. So thanks for all the help you gave me while I trolled through the forum. :)

Happy shooting!

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
Don't know if it's crackin but...

Hey Dops & Dodger, thanks.

Dops: I played with the D70s for a little bit, and also the D200, but I too couldn't justify the expense. A lot of fun to play with 'em though :D

Dodger: Congratulations! I haven't taken more than a few pics (135 minutes seemed like a loooong time to wait for the battery to charge :p ).

Here's one of the first pics. My little cat almost scratched the lens shortly after this pic, so I may be investing in a lens filter shortly. Ah the money pit begins... :)

Attachments

• crackin.jpg
    crackin.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 206

Leraste

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2006
Los Angeles
discoforce said:
Here's one of the first pics. My little cat almost scratched the lens shortly after this pic, so I may be investing in a lens filter shortly. Ah the money pit begins... :)

Lovely picture. :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
discoforce said:
I never posted the "which camera should I buy" question, because folks suggestions were pretty clear already.

Thank goodness. :p Glad you read one of the other threads on this topic, and I'm happy with my D50. There are some things that I miss on the D70s, but because of cost, I really don't regret buying the D50 over the D70s. I can live without that other stuff.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
How bad is the noise on high ISOs?

Can you get a lot of blurr when shooting with open aperture?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Congratulations! Have fun with your new camera and take advantage of it being digital -- no more film processing costs -- to experiment to your heart's content. You can learn a lot by having the immediate feedback available through the LCD or later when you're viewing your stuff in the computer.

DEFINITELY put a filter on your lens; this is excellent protection. It's the first thing I do when I get a new lens. I'd rather deal with and replace a scratched or gummy filter than a scratched or gummy lens surface.

Enjoy!

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
eXan said:
How bad is the noise on high ISOs?

Can you get a lot of blurr when shooting with open aperture?

Absolutely no idea, but there are some good reviews that I read here that address the noise levels.

Abstract: Yup, the D70s was definitely cool, and I liked the grid view and the DOF preview. But I'm also pretty happy with the smaller lighter body of the D50. And the lower price... ;)

And Leraste, thank you very much :)

Clix Pix said:
DEFINITELY put a filter on your lens; this is excellent protection. It's the first thing I do when I get a new lens. I'd rather deal with and replace a scratched or gummy filter than a scratched or gummy lens surface.

Yeah it was funny I hadn't thought of that already, but I guess I was still thinking in P&S mode and not back in the land of SLRs. I'm glad my lens was only kitty-smudged rather than kitty-scratched :eek:

revfife

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
In a far country
Don't let anyone give you a hard time...the D50 is an excellent camera at a heckaofa price. :) The internals are just as good as D70s in most respects and its a newer camera. I know a couple of pros that keep a D50 as their backup.

Enjoy and take lots of photos!

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
revfife said:
Don't let anyone give you a hard time...the D50 is an excellent camera at a heckaofa price. :) The internals are just as good as D70s in most respects and its a newer camera. I know a couple of pros that keep a D50 as their backup.

Enjoy and take lots of photos!

Thanks revfife, though so far nobody's giving me a hard time. I haven't had nearly as much time as I'd like to play with it so far, but it's been a pleasure. Especially since I upgraded from an Olympus D380. Just a little different :D

d380_front_blk.jpg

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
discoforce said:
Thanks revfife, though so far nobody's giving me a hard time. I haven't had nearly as much time as I'd like to play with it so far, but it's been a pleasure. Especially since I upgraded from an Olympus D380. Just a little different :D

d380_front_blk.jpg
I went from a 1MP fixed lens fixed focus Kodak D210P to my digital rebel, then to the 30D.
kodak_dc210plus.gif

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I can imagine that if you've never had an SLR before that it would be quite a different experience moving from a small digital P&S to a DSLR! In my case, I had used Nikon SLRs many years ago, then got hooked on digital but couldn't afford a DSLR at that time (they were prohibitively expensive back then). For the first several years only pros had DSLRs and then with Nikon the D100 kind of kicked things off for serious amateurs; the D70 really was the impetus for many enthusiasts to buy their first DSLR, whether or not they'd had a previous SLR. I don't know what the equivalent model to the D100 in Canon would be but I think that there was a parallel process going on there, too, so that Canon fans who had used Canon SLRs or those who had used one of Canon's many fine P&S were also beginning to reach for a DSLR, too. I know that the Digital Rebel was the model which really made digital photography a reality for many people, but I don't know if there were a model prior to that equivalent to Nikon's D100.

My own particular progression went from using the Nikon N90 and N90s SLRs to buying and loving my first digital camera, the Coolpix 900, then a year or two later going on to the CP 990, followed by the 995, the 4300, the 8700 and the 8800. The "swivel" models (900, 990 and 995) were my favorites and in my opinion, the best Coolpixes Nikon made....the CP 8700, while it had a form factor resembling an SLR/DSLR certainly did not have the responsiveness of a true SLR, nor did the CP 8800. My disappointment in the latter is what spurred me to one day walk into my local Penn Camera and say, "show me the D70...."

Hee, hee, I have to laugh at myself now when I remember standing there, holding this thing which felt both oddly familiar and yet strange.... It immediately reminded me of my beloved N90, but of course some things were different. I held it up, turned it on, and because of so many years using digital cameras, automatically looked at the LCD. "Uh...." The sales associate smiled and said, "there's no live preview in a DSLR; you have to use the viewfinder and then AFTER you've done the shot is when you see the image." Oh.... LOL!

Took the D70 home and immediately felt a joy in photography that I'd been missing with the 8700 and the 8800, reveled in the responsiveness of the camera and in the way it produced excellent resolution in my images....

The 8700 and the 8800 sit collecting dust now, but every now and then I do pull out my beloved CP 990 or 995, as there is something really special about those swivel bodies -- they were quick, responsive little cameras which took pretty darned good photos in spite of their small number of pixels.

Anyway, that's my journey from SLR to digital P&S to DSLR....

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Clix Pix
Congratulations! Have fun with your new camera and take advantage of it being digital -- no more film processing costs -- to experiment to your heart's content. You can learn a lot by having the immediate feedback available through the LCD or later when you're viewing your stuff in the computer.

Enjoy!

Thanks Clix Pix, after reading this I just got a filter today after pool therapy (the shop is just next door to therapy :D ) as I never though about this...same as some coming from a P&S, it's not my first thought like a spare battery would be :eek:

Dodger: Congratulations! I haven't taken more than a few pics (135 minutes seemed like a loooong time to wait for the battery to charge ).
Yes that is a long time when you first open the box with a look of gleem :p I'm looking for a spare or a couple/package deal with two.

Here's one of the first pics. My little cat almost scratched the lens shortly after this pic, so I may be investing in a lens filter shortly. Ah the money pit begins...
Nice picture, cute cat and yes the spending starts but in a good way. Now I really need to get more SD cards as I have a heavy finger, so does my gf as she is looking to take a summer course at the college she teaches at for beginners getting into digital photography ;) Good luck and enjoy...

revfife

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
In a far country
I would highly recommend a magic lantern guide as well. It is money well spent and will familiarize you with the camera far better than the basic guide included.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
Artful Dodger said:
Good luck and enjoy...

Got the lens filter today and sticky screen protector today, so my new baby is a little more cat-proof.

Revfife: Thanks for the Magic Lantern suggestion. I've gotten several of their guides a while ago, and they were really helpful. I think I'm going to play with it a while first then see if I need the extra help. My weakness is I can get to researching too much and end up shooting less... :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.