PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop coming in Universal Binary

MacBytes
Apr 21, 2006, 04:32 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Photoshop coming in Universal Binary (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060421173249)
Description:: Adobe to release flagship software in a format that lets it run on both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

stoid
Apr 21, 2006, 04:37 PM
Nothing to see here, move along.

Just a rehash of what we already knew. :rolleyes: Adobe to release a UB of Photoshop in the first half of next year. This is news why?

projectle
Apr 21, 2006, 05:39 PM
OMG Ponies!

This reminds me so much of a day 3 weeks ago where all that was fake came out to play and all that was not news was told in such a way that it almost seems like it is... almost.

We all knew that Photoshop and the rest of the Creative Suite was on the way, and that it would follow its 18 month release schedule.

I mean come on, we are talking about Adobe, not Microsoft.

mvc
Apr 21, 2006, 06:44 PM
From the article:

"However there are some products that we have today that we have not been able to afford to continue to develop to make available on the Mac. A great example being FrameMaker. The majority of FrameMaker users use Windows as an OS but there is a small percentage that want to use FrameMaker on the Mac so they can use Boot Camp."

This is a worrying paragraph. If a big player like Adobe thinks this way about low volume mac versions of software, what are the small players going to do?

dr_lha
Apr 21, 2006, 07:15 PM
From the article:

"However there are some products that we have today that we have not been able to afford to continue to develop to make available on the Mac. A great example being FrameMaker. The majority of FrameMaker users use Windows as an OS but there is a small percentage that want to use FrameMaker on the Mac so they can use Boot Camp."

This is a worrying paragraph. If a big player like Adobe thinks this way about low volume mac versions of software, what are the small players going to do?
I've seen this attitude before, but then it was "If Mac Users want to run program X, they should use Virtual PC". I don't think anything has changed.

sord
Apr 22, 2006, 12:18 AM
OMG Ponies!
You must have misread - the article is from April 21st, not April 1st :D

bousozoku
Apr 22, 2006, 12:29 AM
Adobe has recently released several new products in Universal Binary form, and Chizen appeared on stage with Steve Jobs during Apple's Worldwide Developers' Conference to back Apple's switch to the Intel platform.

This made no sense. I think that they must have substituted Adobe for Apple.

p0intblank
Apr 22, 2006, 01:03 AM
What a misleading thread title!!!!!! :mad:

Seriously... don't do that. :(

wedge antilies
Apr 22, 2006, 02:36 AM
The title got me all excited, thinking they had a definitive date, or had moved it forward.
Then i read it AND ugh.....:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :( :( :( :(

mjstew33
Apr 22, 2006, 11:11 AM
Who cares, I mean we all knew they'd make one...

Billy Boo Bob
Apr 22, 2006, 11:37 AM
I've seen this attitude before, but then it was "If Mac Users want to run program X, they should use Virtual PC". I don't think anything has changed.
Well, the fact that VPC is painfully slow and not usable for most apps, and Boot Camp / Parallels route is not slow, I'd say there has been a change.

nsb3000
Apr 22, 2006, 03:18 PM
Well, the fact that VPC is painfully slow and not usable for most apps, and Boot Camp / Parallels route is not slow, I'd say there has been a change.

But it is still not out-of-the-box functionality. I mean, Adobe doesn't really expect that people are going to buy VPC or use boot camp to run their software on a mac. the thing to remember here is that Adobe and Microsoft build software for Mac OS because it's profitable...because there are enough people that want to use it on a mac that it makes business sense. You would have a more legitimate argument if you could run any windows XP application with no need to install boot camp or VPC or anything... if you could just run it out-of-the-box that might pose a threat to Apple.

bousozoku
Apr 22, 2006, 03:44 PM

He's just trying to place the issue somewhere else, as usual. Is FrameMaker all that important on Mac? Probably not. Was Premiere developed for the 3 years before Adobe claimed that Apple forced them out of the market segment with Final Cut Pro? No. If you don't do anything and alternatives come along, why complain?

It was interesting to see Chizen discount Mac users with this:

Many of our customers use Macintoshes and we believe that Mactel will provide for a greater performance and better experience and that will be good for Adobe's customers which means it's good for Adobe," Chizen said in Tokyo.

No longer most of their customers, only most?