PDA

View Full Version : Review: XIII

MacBytes
Apr 21, 2006, 04:44 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Games
Link: Review: XIII (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060421174404)
Description:: Review of the impressive cel-shaded conspiracy shooter from Feral.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

neonart
Apr 21, 2006, 06:17 PM
I wonder if the blood and gore can be turned down in this game. Looks interesting, but a little excessive in that department for my personal taste.

nagromme
Apr 21, 2006, 07:07 PM
That's one reason I prefer Doom 3 over Quake 4, and appreciate UT2004: the ability to disable all gore. (It's not just nice when you feel like not desensitizing yourself further... it's also nice when you want to be able to play in FRONT of a mixed audience.)

I like XIII's concept of playable flashbacks.

Dunepilot
Apr 21, 2006, 07:15 PM
That's one reason I prefer Doom 3 over Quake 4, and appreciate UT2004: the ability to disable all gore. (It's not just nice when you feel like not desensitizing yourself further... it's also nice when you want to be able to play in FRONT of a mixed audience.)

I like XIII's concept of playable flashbacks.

I have this game for the Gamecube, and it's very good - actually quite underrated.

It's funny, because it reminds me of a comic-style shooter I had on the Mac many moons ago. I can't remember what it was called for the life of me, but it must have been out around the time of Marathon 2 (may have used the Marathon engine).

Does anyone have a clue as to this game's name?

Santaduck
Apr 21, 2006, 07:44 PM
Now I saw this game before on a Feral preview disk, and it was beautiful but I later forgot about... it was beautiful with severe tweaking of the engine which resulted in beautifully cel-shaded (think comic) graphics. They did a great job on this, much better than that old Robin Hood cartoon mod. POW!

Anyways, I agree the game was underrated, and the preview did not do justice to the storyline.

Now I want to buy this game, after reading this review, and listening to the same reviewer's Mac Games Radio broadcast on this game about a month ago. Why?

The storyline is apparently Robert Ludlum-esque, with the conspiracy theories ratcheting up a notch at every step, and of course, you wake up with no memory. But it's done WELL. The storyline really drew him in, and now I'm very curious about this game again.

Nermal
Apr 21, 2006, 09:04 PM
I feel like I'm inside some sort of time warp. Nevertheless, I now want to play XIII again :)

SPUY767
Apr 21, 2006, 09:17 PM
I uninstalled this game to get more space on my HD about a year and a half ago. . .

jhu
Apr 21, 2006, 09:36 PM
uh, this game was released on 11/2003.

neonart
Apr 21, 2006, 10:29 PM
For those of you who have played it, can the gore be removed or lowered? Thanks!

greatdevourer
Apr 22, 2006, 01:22 AM
For those of you who have played it, can the gore be removed or lowered? Thanks! I was playing it on my 360 the other day, and I don't remember any gore at all :confused: A little blood, but it's very TS2 in it's style of violence

MacQuest
Apr 22, 2006, 01:54 AM
It's funny, because it reminds me of a comic-style shooter I had on the Mac many moons ago. I can't remember what it was called for the life of me, but it must have been out around the time of Marathon 2 (may have used the Marathon engine).

I remember a cell shaded game back around the time of Marathon that I really enjoyed. I can't remember the name, but it had an asian warrior theme to it, or something along those lines.

I remember using those ninja throwing stars and all kinds of stuff like that and running around an ancient oriental palace.

Is that the one you're talking about? It was cool and I had never seen that cell shading effect before. When XIII was announced a few years back and I saw some screenshots, i immediately thought of that other game.

Kagetenshi
Apr 22, 2006, 08:45 AM
I wonder if the blood and gore can be turned down in this game. Looks interesting, but a little excessive in that department for my personal taste.
There's no gore and only moderate blood, none of it realistic.

~J

Eric5h5
Apr 22, 2006, 02:44 PM
I remember a cell shaded game back around the time of Marathon that I really enjoyed. I can't remember the name, but it had an asian warrior theme to it, or something along those lines.

I remember using those ninja throwing stars and all kinds of stuff like that and running around an ancient oriental palace.

Is that the one you're talking about? It was cool and I had never seen that cell shading effect before. When XIII was announced a few years back and I saw some screenshots, i immediately thought of that other game.

The only thing I can think of that fits that description is Shadow Warrior, but that's not cell shaded. In fact (and rather ironically), you couldn't effectively do a cell shaded game without a reasonably modern 3D engine, so that rules out anything in the Marathon era.

--Eric

nagromme
Apr 22, 2006, 03:20 PM
I have this game for the Gamecube, and it's very good - actually quite underrated.

Are you thinking of Oni? That's newer than Marathon 2 though.

Eric5h5
Apr 22, 2006, 05:24 PM
Are you thinking of Oni? That's newer than Marathon 2 though.

Also not cell shaded, though the graphics are somewhat stylized.

--Eric