PDA

View Full Version : Any reports of an iBook ever dying from screen spanning doctor?

Dustintendo
Apr 21, 2006, 07:33 PM
i had mine running with it for a while, but im concerned that i might have been shortening the lifespan of my machine, as the fan was running more, but i have also noticed the fan running a bit more even when the ibook is not spanning, and i figure it might be because my room has been pretty warm lately. anyone with experience with spanning wanna give me a little insight?

mkrishnan
Apr 21, 2006, 07:40 PM
I've used it all semester for three hour lectures on Friday mornings for the undergrad class I teach, without issues. I don't even think it's ever caused the fan to run during class. My fan turns on sometimes when I use my iBook on the couch, but that's more a ventilation issue, and there's no external screen.

I tend to doubt there is a substantial loss of product life from using the spanning doctor....

YS2003
Apr 29, 2006, 08:38 AM
I am still puzzled why Apple turned off the screen spanning mode on iBook lines as the factory setting. This can be just an aggressive product differentiation between PB and iBook lines. But, still, if the iBook can handle the screen spanning mode with the external screen, they should have made it available from the beginning. There are mixed comments on how screen spanning mode on iBooks affects the longevity and integrity of the machines. It is possible Apple dertmined this factory setting based on the hard facts instead of the simple marketing strategies. The Ti PB models were able to run the screen spanning mode even though some of those older models have less powerful graphic cards.

Erendiox
Apr 29, 2006, 09:03 AM
I'm pretty sure that Apple disabled screen spanning on the ibook to make it easier to market the powerbook. Also, screen spanning on the ibook, while perfectly useable, isn't exactly the smoothest experience with only 32mb vram. I use screen spanning with my ibook alot. Never given me any heat issues. It's basically putting more stress on your graphics card to drive the extra display which may be why your fans are turning on. IMO, nothing to be worried about. :)