PDA

View Full Version : Hi Fi Encoding

aminadab
Apr 21, 2006, 10:35 PM
Hi, I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I'm having trouble generating keywords to search with. I'm looking for the best possible audio encoding software. I have an ipod and some etymotic reference headphones. I currently rip at apple "loseless" and find the quality to be ok/fine. Are there any other products I should be looking at? I'm not worried about space; I'm going for quality. I just need the app to be able to let me put the files on my ipod. Thanks very much from a novice.

NicP
Apr 21, 2006, 10:41 PM
Hi, I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I'm having trouble generating keywords to search with. I'm looking for the best possible audio encoding software. I have an ipod and some etymotic reference headphones. I currently rip at apple "loseless" and find the quality to be ok/fine. Are there any other products I should be looking at? I'm not worried about space; I'm going for quality. I just need the app to be able to let me put the files on my ipod. Thanks very much from a novice.

You cant get higher quality than lossless, with lossless you get exactly the same as what is on the cd, thats why its called lossless!

sjpetry
Apr 22, 2006, 12:54 AM
Use WAV.

And no matter what people say their will always be something lost in anything that is less than the original (in size) .

And I bet that the output of a iPod is not Audiophile.

JordanNZ
Apr 22, 2006, 06:48 AM
Use WAV.

And no matter what people say their will always be something lost in anything that is less than the original (in size) .

Lossess is just that... It doesn't degrade the data (ie sound). It's just like zipping a wave file, it comes out exactly the same as it did before it was compressed.

And the headphone amp in the iPod is extremely high quality.

solaris
Apr 22, 2006, 06:52 AM
Use WAV.

And no matter what people say their will always be something lost in anything that is less than the original (in size)
Ever heard of zip, rar, etc.?
A lossless audio encoder work in the exact same way. Compressing the content to a smaller filesize, but keep the content intact so it can be decompressed to its original state.

howesey
Apr 22, 2006, 07:18 AM
Use WAV.

AIFF if your on a Mac.

Remember though, a WAV file can contain any form of encoded sound such as MPEG, WMA, RAW etc. It's only a container file type.

howesey
Apr 22, 2006, 07:19 AM
And the headphone amp in the iPod is extremely high quality.
However the DAC is awful.

Revlimit Punk
Apr 22, 2006, 09:41 AM
There is zero difference in quality between uncompressed formats (AIFF, WAV) or lossless formats (such as Apple lossless, flac, ape...) and the original source CD.
If you are noticing a difference, either your playback software is flawed or your brain is tricking you into thinking there is a difference (but there isn't any).

NicP
Apr 23, 2006, 12:06 PM
Use WAV.

Lol, how very wrong you are, i suggest you learn a thing or two about compression

Let me give you a quick example

"does lossless compression work? Yes! lossless compression does work!"

Take the above statement

Lets say "does " = 1
"lossless compression " = 2
and "work" = 3

I can now say "123? Yes! 213!"

What was once 69 charactors is now 50 (if we include the assignments we did)

So we have less than the original size, yet no data is lost! This is a very crude example of lossless compression