Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I bought an iMac from someone, and it included Jaguar install discs. I already have Jaguar install discs, and want to sell the ones that were included with the iMac (don't need both). I have seen eBay auctions for Jag, and some are listed as "full install" and some as "upgrade."

Is this the full install, or the upgrade? I have a legitimate teacher edition, and I am not about to try to sell that one (kind of illegal).

Attachments

• dsc03015.jpg
    dsc03015.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 241

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
there is no upgrade to jaguar, there is only the full install package. you should have two disks with the fur "X" logo on them (called install disk 1 and install disk 2). there should also be a grey cd in the jaguar box that contains the developer tools. from the picture, it looks like you have both install disks, but if you don't have the dev tools, i would suggest mentioning that if you are going to sell it on ebay (dev tools are not essential, but some people will want them).

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
there is no upgrade to jaguar, there is only the full install package. you should have two disks with the fur "X" logo on them (called install disk 1 and install disk 2). there should also be a grey cd in the jaguar box that contains the developer tools. from the picture, it looks like you have both install disks, but if you don't have the dev tools, i would suggest mentioning that if you are going to sell it on ebay (dev tools are not essential, but some people will want them).

Not true..... you can have upgrade discs..... these were available directly from Apple if you bought a mac in a certain timeframe last year, and your machine shipped with a pre-OSX 10.2 OS.

My brother has the 2 upgrade discs for Jaguar, and they say 'Upgrade' on them....

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
those are full install disks...but actually fattymembrane, there were upgrade disks for jaguar that wouldnt do a clean install on their own. they were tossed in the boxes with macs that were sold around teh time jaguar was realeased but they didnt install it for you (though it was relatively easy to pull out the small file that checks for an existing OS and burn the disk thereby giving you a full install version)

edit: looks like iGav just beat me to it!

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
i stand corrected. i was unaware that apple distributed upgrade disks. it seems like it would have been easier to just ship the standard version with the computers, but i'm sure apple had a reason. thanks for the info.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
i stand corrected. i was unaware that apple distributed upgrade disks. it seems like it would have been easier to just ship the standard version with the computers, but i'm sure apple had a reason. thanks for the info.

It certainly would have been easier for them to ship with a proper version just thrown in the box.... when my bro bought his eMac in October, it had OSX 10.1.4 installed.... no sign of 'Jaguar' that had already been shipping for a couple of months..... only by chance did I find the Up-To-Date program on Apple UK's site had been extended until November so for like £15 you could get 'Jaguar' which was a damn sight better than paying the full monty..... My bro made the deadline by a day.... can you say lucky or what!! :D :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.