Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
I recently saved two 8500/120's from the scrap heap. They had no HDs but were loaded with a considerable amount of RAM 200+MB in each. I installed an Seagate 1 GB HD and an Quantum Fireball 540MB HD in one of them. I set the Seagate as the Master but I can not get the Quantum to mount. My OS is 8.1, it runs fine, but would like the extra HD for extra space. My question is what are the jumper settings for the Quantum, as a slave drive? The Quantum mounted once when installed and never again after that. The ID is 4 and Seagate (Master) is 2.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Does it appear under the Drive Utility?

I have had this "nonexistent" drive issue before and have had to simply re-initialze it.

Otherwise, more experienced people here could probably help ya better :D

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
There is no Master and Slave on a SCSI buss.

You have set the IDs to 4 and 2 which are good; the CD is conventionally ID3, you can check all of the above assignments with SCSIProbe. You won't have Drive Utility - you may have Apple HDSC Setup or Drive Setup - the version will be dependant on your OS version. (check versiontracker.com for older utilities.)

The Quantum not showing up could be a termination issue, or a dead drive.

More on SCSI and termination

http://www.essentialmac.com/fix/scsi.html
http://www.macintoshos.com/troubleshooting/scsi/scsi.html

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Dane D. said:
I set the Seagate as the Master but I can not get the Quantum to mount. My OS is 8.1, it runs fine, but would like the extra HD for extra space. My question is what are the jumper settings for the Quantum, as a slave drive? The Quantum mounted once when installed and never again after that. The ID is 4 and Seagate (Master) is 2.
The thing to keep in mind is that the master/slave concept is unique to IDE/ATA types of drives and are not part of SCSI.

In the case of the 8500, the CD-ROM drive is usually SCSI ID 3, which leaves most of the other seven IDs open.

Issues that could be giving you problems are if the Quantum drive is not compatible with Macs (there are utilities to get around that) or if the internal SCSI bus is not terminated correctly (which may be the case if you saw the drive once but not now).

Considering the size of the drives you are working with, you may not want to spend to much time fighting them... you can get a 4 GB SCSI drive for a few bucks now.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
I checked with the Drive Utility app and it is there, but not mounted. The HDs were free, besides this computer is replaceing the Performa 630CD my little girl has been using. It runs her games and educational software much better than the Performa. When I read about the jumper settings in the PDF file I found on the Quantum drive, it mentioned setting it up either as a master or slave. I thought I set it as slave, I'm pulling it to double-check the settings and will post again. The 8500/120 were are work horses til the G4s came out, granted by todays standards it is slow but my kids like it and besides I hate to see a Mac put out to pasture.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Dane D. said:
When I read about the jumper settings in the PDF file I found on the Quantum drive, it mentioned setting it up either as a master or slave. I thought I set it as slave,
Then you were reading the document for the wrong model of drive.
Make sure you are referencing the SCSI version documentation. The 8500 does not have an ATA / IDE controller, so unless it has a 3rd party PCI card with an ATA controller, the drive has to be SCSI.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
Just pulled the HD, my mistake on HD identification. Here is the corrected info; Quantum 1GB SCSI Fireball with OS 8.1 and Seagate ST5660N 540MB SCSI. Sorry about that.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
O.K. here is a screenshot of jumper settings:
seagatest5660n5bm.jpg

I have my jumpers on ID #4, and terminator disable. Is this correct? I did format this drive as HFS. This drive is before the HD with the OS so I assume I had to disable termination. I know the drive works cause it mounted once and I copyed files to it.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
Just for future reference the jumper settings are: set the ID # and 'power from drive connector'. This worked, the HD mounted on startup and works fine. Thanks all for the help. Now I can use the drive as my video capture HD. This unit has the AV card in it and has an older version of Avid videoshop installed. I networked it with my eMac and G3, installed iCab for a browser. Everything works, now if I can get some more SCSI HDs for the second 8500/120 I have, I'll have a nice little network for my family. I do have one other question concerning monitors for these older Macs. Since they don't have the 15 pin plug-in, is there an adaptor for using modern CRTs?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Dane D. said:
I do have one other question concerning monitors for these older Macs. Since they don't have the 15 pin plug-in, is there an adaptor for using modern CRTs?
It's called a MacSync adaptor, or a DB15 - HD15 VGA monitor adaptor, should be avialble fro about $10 +/- $5 from eBay or a Mac computer store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.