PDA

View Full Version : Normal battery life?

viccles
Apr 23, 2006, 12:40 AM
Hi I just got my video ipod so I'm wondering if this is normal. I listened to music for about an hour and played around in videos (Didnt actually watch a full one) and the battery meter was already red! Is this normal? I'm not sure if the actual battery was flat or just the meter. Can anyone offer me some advice? When I got the ipod I fully charged it

quagmire
Apr 23, 2006, 12:58 AM
Well playing around with the videos makes the HD spin constantly. Thus eating up battery life. So I would say it is normal. Also, from what I observed from my 5G, is that if I do a heavy task on my 5G with spinning up the HD constantly, the battery meter would drop, but if I let it sit around for a bit, it would go back up a little bit.

balamw
Apr 23, 2006, 05:44 PM
It helps if you remember that the battery meter doesn't actually tell you how much juice is left, but is more an indication of "if you keep doing what you have been doing recently, your battery won't last" type indicator. As quagmire points out, playing with videos, switching songs, playing games, etc.. things that use the controls heavily and don't make much use of the cache or leave the backlight on tend to drain the batteries.

I do wish it had a more detailed quantitative indicator like the iBook, even though the iBook is frequently wrong. One of the few batteries that has been quantitatively right is the battery on my Sony camcorder, which is usually right to within a minute.

B

viccles
Apr 23, 2006, 10:15 PM
Awesome thanks for the advice :D