Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emaja

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Here is an article describing the new State of New York law requiring wireless security measures be enabled. Starting in October, businesses will have to enable firewalls or disable the SSID and post signs telling users that they should have firewalls and other protective measures installed on their computers.

I know that this is an outgrowth of the technology outpacing the average user's ability to understand it. There are still way to few people using updated anti-virus and spyware removal tools on their Windows PC after years and years of having it hammered down their throats.

Of course, the firewall is a good idea for Mac users as well, but an absolute requirement for Windows users.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think the router people make setting up wireless security way more complicated than it needs to be. A wizard that does MAC filtering and sets up a WPA2 network should be very, very easy to write, and it should be easy to set up a router so that this configuration is the default one, with a walkthrough for the user, and a system to route users to alternate configurations when this one doesn't work for some reason....

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
mkrishnan said:
I think the router people make setting up wireless security way more complicated than it needs to be. A wizard that does MAC filtering and sets up a WPA2 network should be very, very easy to write, and it should be easy to set up a router so that this configuration is the default one, with a walkthrough for the user, and a system to route users to alternate configurations when this one doesn't work for some reason....

So right you are. Also IMO it could be possible for Broadband providers to demand that those that buy their services to require a certain level of security.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.