Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blitzydog

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Hey guys,

Was hoping you'd be able to help me out here.

Here's the situation: I'm moving into a 3 bedroom duplex with two friends. The landlord has a 10mb line into the place to share between between the three 3-bedroom units. Now, the problem is that this landlord does NOT allow you to make a wifi hotspot. Apparently stuff happened in the past where neighbours and such got onto an unsecured wifi network someone had and a lot of crap ensued. So yah, stupid policy. I even asked if it was okay if I used 128bit encryption, but he said it's easily breakable.. (is it actually?) So yah.

So, obviously I'm not going to live in a place with no wifi - **** him. So tell me if this works: I have my G4 iBook, and will be purchasing a 17inch intel iMac in the next 2-3 months. The imac will stay stationary in my room with a hard-wired ethernet connection, while I want the ibook to be able to roam the house. Can the iMac take in the ethernet connection, establish a computer-computer connection with the ibook, and allow the ibook to indirectly access the internet through the imac? Is this possible? So essentially the ibook would connect to a computer-computer network but still have access to the internet - and it would be a secure connection.

Thanks guys!
-bdog

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
blitzydog said:
So, obviously I'm not going to live in a place with no wifi - **** him. So tell me if this works: I have my G4 iBook, and will be purchasing a 17inch intel iMac in the next 2-3 months. The imac will stay stationary in my room with a hard-wired ethernet connection, while I want the ibook to be able to roam the house. Can the iMac take in the ethernet connection, establish a computer-computer connection with the ibook, and allow the ibook to indirectly access the internet through the imac? Is this possible? So essentially the ibook would connect to a computer-computer network but still have access to the internet - and it would be a secure connection.

I'm pretty sure that's possible, but you're still setting up a wireless network. The key is to turn off SSID broadcast so that nobody else will see it.

blitzydog

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
ahh hmm.. Okay fair nuff. Can you do that easily in apple's system prefs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.