PDA

View Full Version : iPod Speaker suggestion

mashinhead
Apr 24, 2006, 12:19 PM
My dad, wants an ipod, and a speaker/dock for it. I was wondering if anyone out there has a speaker system for it, that could suggest a really good high end one.

WillMak
Apr 24, 2006, 12:30 PM
what is your budget?

mashinhead
Apr 24, 2006, 02:23 PM
what is your budget?

Well i'd say 400+ i mean i don't want to spend 1k or anything, but willing to pay for quality

MinorBidoh
Apr 24, 2006, 04:01 PM
this U.S or U.K money?
with 400 it might be worth thinking about hi-fi separates - namely a mid of the line amp. Harmon Kardon do some gorgeous looking ones.

if not for docks, id suggest the Bose Sounddock or iPod HiFi, both at about £250 quid i think.

dukebound85
Apr 24, 2006, 04:26 PM
I would suggest getting an rca cable abd hooking it up to your auxillary inputs on your stereo system. By far the best sound quality

Peyton
Apr 24, 2006, 04:43 PM
I have the bose sound dock and love it! It looks better than the hifi imo, and the remote is cool. is smaller, fits on a desk nicely, and especially if you have a white ipod, it looks fabulous. ;)

dcv
Apr 24, 2006, 05:00 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again... and I'll keep saying it... Altec Lansing iM7 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=180278) :) Better looking than the iPod Hi-Fi, better sound quality than the Bose SoundDock and yet similar (or actually slightly lower) price tag. It acts as a dock for the iPod and will charge it. It's also portable and can run on DC power.

mashinhead
Apr 24, 2006, 06:30 PM
this U.S or U.K money?
with 400 it might be worth thinking about hi-fi separates - namely a mid of the line amp. Harmon Kardon do some gorgeous looking ones.

if not for docks, id suggest the Bose Sounddock or iPod HiFi, both at about £250 quid i think.

it will be bought in the UK. As for the stereo suggestion, that is always an option, but my understanding is that this will be used as a small bedroom stereo and not as the main living room speaker. So i'm looking for bookshelf

Peyton
Apr 24, 2006, 06:34 PM
clarification on the bose sound dock... it does not interact with your comp at all. it charges, plays music etc, but no usb to your computer. thought you might want to know...

zap2
Apr 24, 2006, 06:38 PM
Bose Sound Dock i love it!!

How ever it is missing the feature of Audio Out(meaning it could hook up to a Computer or non Dockable iPod/ other music player )

Get the iPod Hi-Fi

mashinhead
Apr 24, 2006, 07:54 PM
clarification on the bose sound dock... it does not interact with your comp at all. it charges, plays music etc, but no usb to your computer. thought you might want to know...

Yeah i don't think that will be a problem, as long as it has a remote. sound quality is the big issue

NicP
Apr 25, 2006, 12:55 AM
check this out

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/ipod-speakers.ars

WillMak
Apr 25, 2006, 01:45 AM
70 bucks = logitech THX Z-2300. A cheap but good sounding system.

MinorBidoh
Apr 25, 2006, 11:02 AM
if sound qulity is really issue, id recomend a small denon mini hi-fi, for just about 350, with DAB and incredible sound quality.
testing is always the best way, i would shop around in department stores and ask them to demo it for you (can bring your own ipod or cds to most). then buy online where its usually cheaper!

john lewis, fenwicks, harvey nics, selfridges etc often have experienced and knowledgeable staff.

Ripmax2000
Apr 25, 2006, 01:03 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again... and I'll keep saying it... Altec Lansing iM7 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=180278) :) Better looking than the iPod Hi-Fi, better sound quality than the Bose SoundDock and yet similar (or actually slightly lower) price tag. It acts as a dock for the iPod and will charge it. It's also portable and can run on DC power.

I hate the sound of the IM7. I demo a lot of iPod speakers at work, and eveyone who hears the IM7 hates the sound of it. Plus we keep having to replace them because the latch that holds the iPod inside keeps breaking.
iPod Hi-Fi is great if you want an all-in-one solution, but I would just get some decent speakers and plug them through the line-out on the dock, if you can live with 2 satt speakers and a sub, then that will get you much better quality.

Tmog
May 2, 2006, 08:13 AM
I could not really consider anything else than the Ipod HiFi. Sounds great, looks great. I mean an Ipod is not only another MP3 player, it is a design and the Ipod HiFi is made to match it. Just like you only would use original parts for a Ferrari………..