Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Probie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Ok, so today, my iBook superdrive started making really horrid scratching noises when a CD was in it, then taking over 5 minutes to eject it. Then, a few hours later, it started making a similar noise with no CD in it.

Now, the screen keeps shutting off, until I manuslly pull the battery out, and restart the computer.

Battery charge is NOT a problem

Thanks!!

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Thanks?
Run, don't walk to the nearest Apple store and turn that sucker in. Hope you have a warrany.

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
I agree, take it to Apple, sounds like the sd is going
if you don't have apple care.....
time to look into saving for the new macbook maybe?

[off topic - 200th post - woot, only took 4 years:D ]

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
As others have said, go to the Apple Store and ask for H-E-L-P. :eek: The problem sounds beyond the scope of MR (at least, beyond my scope). :)

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
I agree with everyone: Get it to some professional support.

BUT BEFORE THAT: Backup anything you want to keep!

Sounds like you can't save things to CD/DVDs anymore, so I'd use a flash drive, email, ipod, or anything else you can think of because the solution may be to throw away your current drive... :eek:

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
discoforce said:
I agree with everyone: Get it to some professional support.

BUT BEFORE THAT: Backup anything you want to keep!

Good call discoforce, because if you fail to back your data up before sending your iBook in for repair, you will most likely lose all of your data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.