PDA

View Full Version : Mac Users with PC's: Switch Fully or Not?

pimentoLoaf
Feb 9, 2003, 08:47 PM
In other words, when your PC system goes, will you upgrade to another PC while still using a Mac, or will you move everything over to an Apple environment?

Also, post if you have done something like either already.

synthetickittie
Feb 9, 2003, 09:20 PM
well me my pc broke down a few weeks ago... when I was already disliking windows so much and wanted a mac... so when its went down it finally pissed me off enough to spend my money to order a new 1.42 powermac

Nermal
Feb 11, 2003, 05:52 PM
I've just bought my first Mac, an iBook. it hasn't arrived yet but I plan to sell my PC and use the Mac exclusively. I've researched all the apps I use and there's only 2 that require Windows, and I can use Remote Desktop for them I think.

dkeninitz
Feb 17, 2003, 09:52 PM
I just bought my first Mac, a PowerBook G4 1ghz w/ 15.1" screen.

I haven't actually "switched" from PC's though I might someday. I've been using PC's for nearly 20 years. I'm not a professional computer guy, but I'm sort of a hobbyist who enjoys tinkering with the things. I started out w/ DOS 1.1 but now use Windows XP Pro on all my home machines. I'm also sort of an early adapter, so I tend to upgrade pretty frequently.

My personal home office set up right now is a Dell 1.9ghz unit w/ a 20" Viewsonic flatpanel display and assorted other goodies. My kids use my previous Dell, a 1ghz machine w/ a 19" Dell CRT.

Prior to the PowerBook I was using an IBM Thinkpad T21. The whole Mac thing had always intrigued me, and the introduction of the Unix-based OS X got me even more interested. When I started looking for a new laptop, I quickly realized there wasn't anything in the PC world to compare to the PowerBook from a pure hardware standpoint. Try finding a PC notebook that weighs 5 lbs., has a super high quality 15" screen, 4 hr. batterly life, DVD writer, metal case, etc. It ain't out there! So, I said what the heck and decided to spring for the TiBook. The availability of Office X was the deciding factor. I use Office in part because 99% of my clients do, and I share a lot of files.

Now to the machine itself. Again, from a hardware standpoint I'm blown away. It's sturdy, light, and well made. The screen is awesome, and the battery life is amazing. I'm getting 3.5 or so hours of continuous use with the processor and display at full bore, and with the Airport card humming most of the time.

A couple of concerns. I love the look of the OS X interface, but I'm not sure I buy into the notion that Mac's are easier to use. I immediately miss the ability to right click on the mouse to get a pop-up menu with useful commands. For example, in Windows if I want to delete a file or a folder I can right click on it and then slide down to "delete". On the Mac I've got to drag it to the trash icon. This difference is even more noticeable when using the track pad, where dragging requires either a sensitive double tap or else is a two handed operation. There are a lot of little differences like this. On the other hand, I don't have to fool with the registry and drivers, a definite big plus.

It may be my imagination, but this machine seems slower than a typical PC when using Office. For example, applying formatting or inserting a row in an Excel sheet usually often brings up the little clock symbol, with a short delay while the command executes. On my PC, even my 867mhz T21, these actions are instantaneous, even when working with huge files. What's up with that?

Finally, the lack of OS X software is kind of disheartening. There seems to be plenty of OS 9 stuff out there, and I know it will run on my machine in Classic mode, but to me that's like running Windows 98 stuff on XP. I bought this thing largely because of the beauty of OS X, so it's a bummer not to be able to find software. I see high-end image editing and DTP stuff, but that's mostly it.

If there was more software native to OS X available, I'd probably be thinking about retiring the Dell in favor of a dual processor 1.25ghz machine with the 20" studio display.

Don

I've

pimentoLoaf
Feb 18, 2003, 03:46 PM
For right-clicking:

Run off to the store (I prefer MacZone.com (http://www.maczone.com)) and look for either a wireless or corded Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer mouse. When you right-click with this, it's equivalent to pressing control whilst clicking; a similar menu of commands pops up (including something to delete files).

Most Mac software is available via mail-order, and this has alot to do with when the Mac was first introduced. Apple 2e/2c, Atari 400/800, Commodore Vic20/64, and IBM PC software was filling the shelves, and then came the fifth-wheel (so to speak) with its software; question became, "where do we stick this stuff?" So retail outfits ignored it, eventually focussing on A2e/2c & PC material, and via mail (and now internet) was the only way to go.

Need more toys? Try:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore/
http://www.apple.com/guide/us/
http://www.maczone.com

Of course, there are other online venues than MacZone, but their terms of service seem better than most, and their prices are generally a bit lower.

pivo6
Feb 18, 2003, 04:21 PM
I switched in October to a 17in iMac and gave my kids my old PC. I know that may be a crappy thing to do to them, but they are 5 and 3 and only play a few games at this point.

My 5 year old is pretty good with Adobe Photoshop Elements though. (Mac version)

Glenn

dkeninitz
Feb 18, 2003, 04:26 PM
pimento loaf,

Thanks for the tips. I've got a MS Cordless optical lying around, so I'll give it a try.

Also, thanks for the software links -- I'll check 'em out.

Rags
Mar 10, 2003, 04:26 PM
I switched from a Athlon T-bird 1Ghz with Windows 2000 and Debian Linux to a PowerMac G4 867Mhz with OS 10.2. The PC is at or over two years old (I don't remember exactly when I built it) and my Mac is about three months old since I bought it. Full specs on the Mac are 1Gb RAM, 80Gb HDD, Radeon 9000 with ADC, Samsung SyncMaster 900NF display, Apple keyboard, and Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer.

At first I hated OS X but it has without doubt grown on me. My biggest gripe was having to drop the habit of opening an app and having it be full screen. I like to think of it as with MS Windows, an app is in a panel rather than a window. Once I got used to the "zoom" button function, hiding the dock so it isn't in my way anymore, and resizing windows rather than trying to use the zoom button as a maximize button I've been much more comfortable and can actually enjoy my computer experience.

In other words, when your PC system goes, will you upgrade to another PC while still using a Mac, or will you move everything over to an Apple environment?

Old PC stays and the Mac wont replace what I want to do with it now or in the future any time soon. So to answer the question, I'll be updating the PC while still lovin' the Mac :) My reasons: 1) Linux and 2) First person shooter games. I may be able to move to a completely Mac environment for the second reason sometime in the near future but for the first, I don't see myself ever unless I decide to switch my web servers over to the Mac platform in the future. I use a PC to "mess up" by installing/configuring patches, new versions of software, and so forth before I do the same to my production machines.

[edit: fixed quotes and apostrophes]

scem0
Mar 10, 2003, 04:45 PM
Im gunna buy a mac as soon as I can afford one. That is gunna
be a while due to my age (I'm 15), and lack of employment.

Well, I can always work for my dad, for a good wage, but I am not
motivated - my Dad works me hard. ;).

JSRockit
Mar 15, 2003, 08:52 AM
I switched over to using an iBook last year...and then sold the iBook and got a 12" pBook. Now I am looking for my next PC laptop. I will continue to use both. I could be happy using either one, but see no reason to not use both.

anneleonard
Mar 24, 2003, 05:10 AM
I've just switched, 3 days ago, and I'll never look back!
Firstly, I was considering keeping my PC and getting a mac notebook, but then I realised that I don't really need something portable. Then I thought it would look way too nerdy to have a mac desktop and my PC desktop. So I thought- what would I still want to do on my PC if I had a mac? Is there anything a PC can do that a mac can't? And the answer was: no! So I thought I'd sell my PC when I got a mac- that was only 3 weeks ago! Once I got it in my head that I wanted an iMac, I had to have it quickly. Unfortunately, since I reformatted my PC to sell it to someone else, it had a complete nightmare and the motherboard frazzled :confused: ! i'm just going to sell it off in bits now to different people. so - i'd ask yourself the same question - what can you do on a pc that you can't do on a mac? there's fewer and fewer reasons NOT to switch now. what with windows files compatibility, more affordable prices, more apps, etc, there's never been a better time :D

JSRockit
Mar 24, 2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by anneleonard
So I thought- what would I still want to do on my PC if I had a mac? Is there anything a PC can do that a mac can't? And the answer was: no!

what can you do on a pc that you can't do on a mac? there's fewer and fewer reasons NOT to switch now. what with windows files compatibility, more affordable prices, more apps, etc, there's never been a better time :D

While a Mac can do everything a PC can do...that isn't the point There are some great PC programs out there for audio purposes that I will not give up yet that are not available for mac. That is why I continue to use a PC as well as a Mac. The way I see it, when it comes to audio, it is like using two different synths, or two different Samplers...both platforms give you something different.

Giaguara
Mar 24, 2003, 07:30 AM
after moving to os x, i still used linux on my pc for half a year - then i sold the pc laptop and am now 100 % mac os x. ;)

ewinemiller
Mar 24, 2003, 07:42 AM
I bought a Mac because I needed it to build and support my products on the Mac side (about 1/3 my customers). I do use it for a little more than compile and test. iMovie and iDVD are nice, but I still use Premier on the PC when I want to do something complicated. iTunes is nice, but I don't see anything above and beyond Windows Media Player and I actually prefer WMP. I end up using the Mac mostly for a file server, but even that may stop since the last big copy I did created a ton of weirdly named 0 length files that can't be manipulated by a windows machine so keep me from copying the files back to my PC without sitting down on the mac and cleaning up the folder.

For me, I can't be as productive on the Mac as I can on the PC. Visual Studio.NET is a much better environment for me than the CodeWarrior on the Mac so I end up building on the PC and then compiling for Mac later. Just typing on the Mac slows me down, the copy and paste functions feel awkward to me and the other thing that drives me nuts is the End and Home keys going to the End and Home of the document instead of the line. How useful is that? Is there a shortcut for end and beginning of the current line on the Mac?

A powerbook running Virtual PC intrigues me because I could support both platforms on the road, however two things keep me from making a purchase. First, price for performance, I can get a much faster PC laptop for the same price. My year and half old PIII 1ghz laptop outruns a G4 1ghz for the things I do so I can't justify upgrading to a slower machine, hopefully the 970 will solve that problem. Second, the first thing I do with a Mac is throw away the one button mouse and add a nice two button scroll mouse, I can't do that with a laptop. I don't see anything solving this problem, why Apple insists on maintaining the single button mouse 15 years after I saw my first two button mouse is beyond me.

anneleonard
Mar 24, 2003, 08:15 AM
JSRockit, my point was that *for me*, there wasn't anything I wanted to do on a computer that I couldn't do on a mac. For other people it might be different, like you, because there are aspects of things you want to do that you must/prefer to do on a pc. everyone needs to make their own decisions on what they want to get out of a computer.

iJon
Mar 24, 2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by scem0
Im gunna buy a mac as soon as I can afford one. That is gunna
be a while due to my age (I'm 15), and lack of employment.

Well, I can always work for my dad, for a good wage, but I am not
motivated - my Dad works me hard. ;).
do appleloan, its the easiest way to get mac and the quickest.

iJon

Over Achiever
Mar 24, 2003, 08:41 AM
While I think my 17" powerbook is frikkin awesome, and I did buy it to replace my aging PC laptop (whose fan broke down, and the 800 x 600 LCD was becoming cramped), theres nothing that will stop me from buying another PC desktop. Nothing. :)

So I guess I'm not a full fledged "switcher" yet. :)

hacurio1
Mar 24, 2003, 09:54 AM
I use my Mac MOST of the time!!! I love OS X, but I must admit I have a PC a well!! There is nothing I like about my PC, except that there are some games not available for Mac, and itís all a matter of preferences. I know there are some cool games out for the Mac, but I love Command and Conquer (BTW they just came out with a new version) and itís not available for Mac. But I do everything else in my Mac. Movies, animations, some programming (nothing professional though,) VJ stuff, DJ mixing (hobby,) Photo editing, and of courseÖsome Gaming. I love my Mac to death and there is nothing else like it! I'm not a hardcore gamer therefore I don't use my PS2 too often, but there are some RTS games that make me nuts!!!:)

daniel77
Mar 24, 2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by iJon

iJon

dont u not only have to be:
-18 years old
-have a stable job
-and unbelievable credit to get an apple loan?

now assuming this 15 year old even has a job, the fact that he has little credit if any is pretty contradictory to him being able to get an apple loan. correct me if i'm wrong.

scem0
Mar 24, 2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by JSRockit
While a Mac can do everything a PC can do...that isn't the point There are some great PC programs out there for audio purposes that I will not give up yet that are not available for mac. That is why I continue to use a PC as well as a Mac. The way I see it, when it comes to audio, it is like using two different synths, or two different Samplers...both platforms give you something different.

A Mac can't do everything a PC can, and vice versa.

They both have their pro's and con's.

LethalWolfe
Mar 28, 2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by iJon

iJon

:eek:

Appleloan rapes you up the butt worse than a 300lb guy named Bubba at the state pen! Plus, MBNA will NEVER leave you alone. Ever. You'll be dead and MBNA will still send spam to your grave. Get a job and save up the $$$ or get a job then get a credit card and every few months you'll get a "credit check." The checks will have a really good APR on them and whatever you buy w/those checks will go onto yer CC and be locked at that APR for a set period of time (sometimes it's 6 months, other times it's for the life of the debt).

I used a "credit check" last year to by my first Mac at the wonderful APR of 4.9% for the life of that debt. :)

BTW, I have a Mac and a PC and I have some PC only hardware and software that I'll keep using until a Mac equivilant is released. Once that's done my PC days are most likely over (until I get a lot of disposable income and build a monster gaming rig:D).

Lethal

ddtlm
Mar 28, 2003, 01:38 AM
ewinemiller:

For me, I can't be as productive on the Mac as I can on the PC. Visual Studio.NET is a much better environment for me than the CodeWarrior on the Mac so I end up building on the PC and then compiling for Mac later.
I've found that I like Project Builder a lot more than Code Warrior (which I'm not very familiar with anyway) and Vis Studio 6. I'd say PB is a lot like VS6 in overall operation, but I find it to be better done.

Just typing on the Mac slows me down
I hate that. The slowness of the interface that hangs out at the edge of my perception, so that things always feel slow but are hard to actually catch in the act of being slow.

JSRockit
Mar 28, 2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
:eek:

Appleloan rapes you up the butt worse than a 300lb guy named Bubba at the state pen! Plus, MBNA will NEVER leave you alone.
Lethal

iJon works for Apple...that is why he suggested the Apple Loan.

irmongoose
Mar 28, 2003, 06:38 AM
iJon works for Apple...that is why he suggested the Apple Loan.

hehe, no. He doesn't. His parents just own a Mac retail store, so he sometimes has more info than most of us.

irmongoose

JSRockit
Mar 28, 2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by irmongoose
hehe, no. He doesn't. His parents just own a Mac retail store, so he sometimes has more info than most of us.

irmongoose

Same ****. I didn't mean he was some kind of Apple big shot...I just meant that he had a connection to Apple.

irmongoose
Mar 28, 2003, 07:32 AM
Same ****. I didn't mean he was some kind of Apple big shot...I just meant that he had a connection to Apple.

Aight dude, calm down, heh. Didn't mean anything serious... ;)

irmongoose

JSRockit
Mar 28, 2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by irmongoose
Aight dude, calm down, heh. Didn't mean anything serious... ;)

irmongoose

I'm calm...didn't mean to offend you.

JohnIrvine
Mar 28, 2003, 08:18 AM
I made "The Switch" with the release of the flat-panel iMacs a little over a year ago now.

I couldn't be happier. About ten months after I bought my iMac, I just didn't want to be without a Mac at any time, so I bought an iBook, too. (This is particularly relevant to me, because -- while I've always been into computers -- I've never loved one enough to buy a laptop too.

Within the first month, I had switched everything but my personal finance application (Microsoft Money) over to the Mac. I bought Virtual PC and ended-up never using it. While I had Quicken for the Mac, it just didn't (and still doesn't) feel right.

About three months later, I just decided that I didn't want to have anything to do with the PC anymore, and I made the last part of The Switch and put my finances into Quicken for Mac anyway. I still don't love Quicken -- there's a real lack of quality personal finance software in the Mac world -- and I still do prefer Microsoft Money, but my preference for the Mac itself outweighs the particular software package.

I do keep the PC around, as my wife has a problem with LCD panels (they give her a headache), and my two-year old daughter wants to play games. Sure, the games she has work on both a Mac and a PC, but she insists on "loading it herself" and a two-year old is just a little too brutish on equipment for its own good. Therefore, if she's going to destroy something, she can destroy the PC and not the Mac.

I guess that sums it up the best....I've taken over the Mac 100%, and I'm fine with my kid tearing-up the PC. (Ever heard the sound a CD-ROM drive makes when two discs are inserted at the same time?)

When the PC dies, I know that I won't replace it with another (this one I built myself, even). What I will most likely do is give my daughter the iMac and then buy a new PowerMac for myself.

As a side note, I now have six notches in my belt. I've switched six other PC users to Macs, and without exception, they've all been extremely happy that I made the introduction.

OS X was definitely the catalyst. I just am not a big fan of System 9 and below. The sheer power of the UNIX low level code, combined with the sheer elegance of Aqua, is what sold me on switching. The design of the flat-panel iMac finally pushed me over the edge into "gottagetonerightthisminute" mode.

Last month, I even eBayed an Apple Newton just to have one. I got a great deal on a more than complete package for one in perfect condition, and I'm now looking at my Palm with an evil eye. My daughter might even get the Palm pretty soon, too. ;) It's just a shame that there is only third-party software support for the Newts; I'd really like an Apple-approved syncing solution. (Actually, I'd REALLY like a new Apple-branded PDA with native iSync compatibility and all of the design features that made me a Jobsian.)

mogrefy
Apr 12, 2003, 06:55 PM
Just purchased my first mac, a 12" powerbook and should have it any day now. Right now I'm running a P4 2.53Ghz, 512 DDR 2700, 120Gig 7200/8mb HD, Radeon 9700 Pro, 21" Viewsonic monitor.

So as I see it... I just need a KVM switch to switch between my desktop wintel machine, my redhat linux box, and my new powerbook.

I can't wait to get my powerbook and it will be great to have a light system that i can do all my programming work and play while on the go - but there is something to be had from a nice intel desktop for gaming etc. I think all these machines can live together in peace - just hope the pc doesnt get jealous of the pb!

iJon
Apr 12, 2003, 07:33 PM
no, i would listen to the other people about apple loan. i have never done it before. but i hadnt heard bad things until thsi thread so its up to you. i just said do appleloan because its good if you have any money. no down payment and no penalty for prepayment. im sure there are more people on this site that know more about than loans then a 17 year old.

iJon

mogrefy
Apr 12, 2003, 07:49 PM
I applied for an apple loan... I have good credit, never a late payment but I am a student with low income so my interest rate they were going to charge was 24%!!!!

Needless to say I went the credit card route which is 0% interest until april 2004 and 11% after that.

scem0
Apr 14, 2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by daniel77
dont u not only have to be:
-18 years old
-have a stable job
-and unbelievable credit to get an apple loan?

now assuming this 15 year old even has a job, the fact that he has little credit if any is pretty contradictory to him being able to get an apple loan. correct me if i'm wrong.

I am pretty sure your right. And with the posts about the apple
loan service following iJon's posts, I probably wouldn't use
apple loan if I could. :( ;)

JSRockit
Apr 14, 2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by scem0
I am pretty sure your right. And with the posts about the apple
loan service following iJon's posts, I probably wouldn't use
apple loan if I could. :( ;)

Just steal some loot instead.