PDA

View Full Version : How Apple found 50 acres in Cupertino and why they paid for ...

MacBytes
Apr 25, 2006, 02:51 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: How Apple found 50 acres in Cupertino and why they paid for it (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060425155106)
Description:: Steve Jobs said last week that Apple Computer had to beat long odds to find the site of its second campus in Cupertino -- and the company's chief executive wasn't kidding. Apple also paid big bucks.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

iGary
Apr 25, 2006, 02:52 PM
Half a billion is chump change...for Apple.

NYmacAttack
Apr 25, 2006, 03:38 PM
What a complex deal. 50 acres is a ton of land. Should be a real nice campus.

IJ Reilly
Apr 25, 2006, 03:42 PM
They may have to have the land rezoned? Considering that at least part of it was already approved for residential development, that seems almost certain. I hope Apple's agents checked Cupertino's General Plan -- they might have a long road ahead of them if the land isn't currently designated for office-commerical development.

vniow
Apr 25, 2006, 03:44 PM
Where the hell did they find 50 unused acres in Cupertino?!? :confused:

Photorun
Apr 25, 2006, 03:48 PM

That's what I'd like to know. I checked Google Earth, flew around, and the only thing I can think of is Apple's developed a fourth dimension portal powered by a secret Intel chip we don't know about. I'm hoping they put it in a Macbook Pro so I can finally visit Zippy the Clown.

iGary
Apr 25, 2006, 03:50 PM

The property is not undeveloped...they talked about the cost of removing buildings, etc.

CanadaRAM
Apr 25, 2006, 04:00 PM
They may have to have the land rezoned? Considering that at least part of it was already approved for residential development, that seems almost certain. I hope Apple's agents checked Cupertino's General Plan -- they might have a long road ahead of them if the land isn't currently designated for office-commerical development.
Depending how they reallocate the parcel, they could still put residential into a portion of it, i would guess.

How would you like to buy your home from Apple?

Think of it -- Steve would introduce some insanely great new features in the Apple iHouse™, like integrated iPod docks in all rooms, MagSafe plugs on all appliances, white on white decor, with perforated aluminum cupboards, and one-button garage door openers.

But then, the lower drawers of all the cupboards would suddenly fail to open, the wireless phones would give you a 'low signal' warning if you were more than 10 feet from the base station, you would have to reset the furnace's PRAM every time it went to full-on in the middle of summer, and the popcorn popper would constantly kernal panic.

Then of course, you could call AppleHomeCare. The first level rep would have you open and close all the doors in the house, vacuum the carpet, change the bedding and reset the programming on the VCR before they would address the lower drawer problem.

You could be escalated to a senior support rep, but he will send you a shipping box to send the furnace back to them, and you'll get an equivalent refurbished furnace in three-four weeks.

If you have three serious incidents, you may be eligible for a replacement iHouse, however any furniture or clothing you leave in the iHouse won't be transferred to the new one.

And the popcorn popper ? It's a software issue, you must have installed an incompatible brand of butter.

IJ Reilly
Apr 25, 2006, 04:10 PM
The property is not undeveloped...they talked about the cost of removing buildings, etc.

Here's the area. Plenty of buildings!

iGary
Apr 25, 2006, 04:13 PM
And the popcorn popper ? It's a software issue, you must have installed an incompatible brand of butter.

*falls down laughing*

WildCowboy
Apr 25, 2006, 04:14 PM
But then, the lower drawers of all the cupboards would suddenly fail to open, the wireless phones would give you a 'low signal' warning if you were more than 10 feet from the base station, you would have to reset the furnace's PRAM every time it went to full-on in the middle of summer, and the popcorn popper would constantly kernal panic.

Let's hope iGary doesn't move to Cupertino...I'm not sure he could take his house going through the same troubles as his computers. But then again, he wouldn't have to deal with the talking car anymore...but maybe still the raccoons...

plinkoman
Apr 25, 2006, 04:48 PM
...and the popcorn popper would constantly kernal panic.

AHAHAHAHAHA

wow... :D :p

Santaduck
Apr 25, 2006, 05:31 PM
Nice article, thanks for the link.

It provides yet another example of why the SJ Mercury is known as one of the best newspapers in n. america...

Willis
Apr 25, 2006, 06:34 PM
Apple iHouse.... love it.

solvs
Apr 25, 2006, 10:34 PM
iHouse
That was a long way to go for a joke, but it was worth it. My Sister keeps trying to get me to move up there where she is. I totally would if this was true. Not that I could afford one. I don't even know how much they cost, but I'm sure they're too expensive.

Plus I'm waiting for Rev. B cuz I hear Rev A sucks.

sord
Apr 26, 2006, 01:43 AM
Plus I'm waiting for Rev. B cuz I hear Rev A sucks.
Just wait - they are in the process of moving from a superior and more efficient architecture to a more exploited one that saves you some money with its power saving abilities, and some time as its lower drawers now open up to 5 times faster than what they used to!

But be careful - the iRobbers are very familiar with this architecture and they could dissasemble your iHouse pretty easily, adding in secret iDoors (also known as iOverflows) just waiting for you to pass them so they can get in and take over. Word has it they can get in by going underneith your house too with their PowerUnderflows.

If you want an office you may want to consider getting a PowerOffice before they get upgraded. Currently you can get up to 4 cubicles in one area with no wire mess for your electronics but they are planning to change over, following the iHouse transition. You may get stuck with 2 cubicles and some visible wires if you wait.

Also, now with the new upgrades, you might finally be able to put an iCondo in the same lot as your iHouse! Details are flimsy at the moment but a beta iHondo/Live Base (undecided on which name at the moment) has been released to the Apple supplied living quarters for their employees currently seeking living locations.

Oh and rumor has it they are renaming the iHouse to either Apple House or Cupertino House. The new PowerOffice could also be renamed to either Apple House Pro or Cupertino House Pro.

In the apartment side of the story though, the Creative ZenHouse has been discontinued after Apple's PodHouse showed to hold more furnature, and last longer. That is until you need to replace your generator for your power. Like the iHouse replacement, Apple will replace the PodHouse with a refurbished one within 3-4 weeks however nothing you keep in it will be brought over.

----

Coming soon! Free disposal of your iHouse, PowerOffice, or PodHouse will soon be available for when you decide to leave if no one will be moving in after you.

gman71882
Apr 26, 2006, 03:05 AM
Steve can now build himself an underground fortress and have a 50 Acre pond above it. That way no more secrets get out... :eek: :D
The next ipod with be WATERPROOF hehe:cool:

SPUY767
Apr 26, 2006, 06:53 AM
Depending how they reallocate the parcel, they could still put residential into a portion of it, i would guess.

How would you like to buy your home from Apple?

Think of it -- Steve would introduce some insanely great new features in the Apple iHouse™, like integrated iPod docks in all rooms, MagSafe plugs on all appliances, white on white decor, with perforated aluminum cupboards, and one-button garage door openers.

Then of course, you could call AppleHomeCare. The first level rep would have you open and close all the doors in the house, vacuum the carpet, change the bedding and reset the programming on the VCR before they would address the lower drawer problem.

You could be escalated to a senior support rep, but he will send you a shipping box to send the furnace back to them, and you'll get an equivalent refurbished furnace in three-four weeks.

If you have three serious incidents, you may be eligible for a replacement iHouse, however any furniture or clothing you leave in the iHouse won't be transferred to the new one.

I trust that your day job is not that of a comedian and humbly suggest that you keep it. ;-)

jdechko
Apr 26, 2006, 09:12 AM
and one-button garage door openers.

My favorite line. :D But only after defending for years the fact that people only need one button, Apple will finally release a 2-button mouse, I mean, remote.

backupdrummer
Apr 26, 2006, 09:45 AM
New York was just a warm up. Just imagine the size of the glass cube Steve will be able to build there.

You heard it here first.