Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KSource

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
Getting into the digital photography field. I will be purchasing a 20D shortly with a few assorted lenses. I'm not totally new to the field, however since I am on a short term budget I'm not sure what type of lighting I should go for.

I will be doing mostly studio potrait or indoor type shots, it will mainly be portraiture either indoor or outdoor.

At first I was looking at a rather cheap studio light setup, two heads, battery etc. However, I will be using another photographers studio for a bit and he has a pretty good setup already. So I figured I might just get a standard flash that can either be used on the hotshoe or used wireless through a pocket wizard. However it will lack the power of a studio setup, but I guess outdoors I would be looking to just fill light anyways right? If I do night shots would the standard (higher end) flash really be able to work? or should I do studio lighting.

What should I start with? I think the strobe kit was like 1.3k vs a decent flash going for 400-500?

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
I have a 580EX w/ a LSIIPJ and it's a pretty good setup for outdoor work in low to no light (ie nighttime). I'd prefer to have strobes for outdoor too, but it's just not practical for me financially so I just have to do with what I have.

I really like the LS though, very neat product and a good buy especially at its cost. I would recommend it, worked great at my cousin's wedding recently.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
For studio lighting, I know that many people like the Alien Bees lights, which are fairly inexpensive. They come in various kits which you can configure to your specific needs and budget. I don't have a URL handy but if you google Alien Bees that should bring up the manufacturer's website.

Edited to add: just went ahead and googled it myself: it's http://www.alienbees.com

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
Norman makes a portable flash that uses a monster battery pack, but it can be used in the studio as a Mono-light or with multiple heads via a wireless trigger.

http://www.photo-control.com/battery_systems_compkits.asp

I haven't found the pricing yet.

Edit: found the price...MSRP $1173.00. Yikes, I only paid $2000 for my Dyna Lights...but that was 12 years ago (but they still crank out the light.)

Check out Novatran, too. That was the first set I bought back in 1982. Nice little set. Perfect for the beginner.

http://www.novatron.com/ns/product.php

MSRP $996.80

I'm sure you can find something used a lot cheaper.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Depending on how quick of a recycling time you want, and ease of use - look at wireless flash systems for your Canon (or for you Nikon users).

IMO TTL flash makes life easier for flash work. One great resource for inspiration is the Nikon: The Speed of Light DVD (http://www.penncamera.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=6345). Sure it is based on the Nikon wireless TTL system, but the techniques can be applied to the Canon system of the ST-E2 wireless transmitter and the 400/500 series EX flashes.

Studio flashes (like the AlienBees, Profoto, Elinchrome) offer some great light modifying options - like softboxes, grids, and the such. But in the right hands, and the more limited tools that "shoe-mounted" flashes for modifying the light - the results can be there IMO.

KSource

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
yea actually I've read a bit on the alien bee ones and some other ones. The kit I was actually looking at was a dyna light since they have a student program that I can cash in on. However, I think I will stick with a strobe setup since I have a feeling I'm going to be doing more indoor type shots. If I really need to do outdoor...I'll just drive into a good unit later for that.

I was leaning towards either the kit for the dyna light or getting a used Norman powerpack with a two heads and softboxes. However, the portable Norman looks pretty appealing.

Neways, thanks for the suggestions. :)

kd5boc

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2006
2 Work lights (w/ clamp) from Walmart with those new GE Truelight 100W bulbs. $15
1 Old TV Tray $5
Black poster board $3
WB setting on digital Camera

139294480_b939b6c180.jpg

Worked out nicely for this. My Main light is 45* on right side about 4 feet away. My fill is behind the camera about 8 feet.

139312487_b969ce03f9.jpg

I has a flourescant shop light on the table facing up for this one.

Give it a shot and see how it works for cheaper before you buy the full set. You might be amazed on what you can learn by using stuff around the house. LOL

KSource

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
looks great, but how would it work for a potrait of sort.

I guess I could use some sort of tungsten light unit. Cheaper but no flash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.