PDA

View Full Version : HELP...my 60gig video is all jacked up!!!

pseybold
Apr 26, 2006, 01:21 AM
hey all. any help would be greatly appretiated. i have a gen 5 60gig iPod. all of a sudden my ipod would skip and not play songs freeze up and all that jazz. i reformatted it and then would start to load it back up. half way through updating it, it would freeze up. i reformatted it about 15 times. reinstalled itunes twice and reinstalled OSX. any other ideas before i drop another 4 hund-o on a new one?

Shamus
Apr 26, 2006, 01:54 AM
I doubt wether you would have to drop another 400 hundred on a new one.
This sort of thing would be convered under warranty.

So you have reset it, re-installed OSX, re-installed iTunes, and tried to update the iPod software, right? If all of those havent worked, then maybe this is a case for the Apple centre.

mfacey
Apr 26, 2006, 01:57 AM
You state that it always freezes up when you're syncing with iTunes. Have you paid attention to the specific song file its transferring when that happens. I've had this issue with my 3G once. Turned out one of the song files was corrupt which subsequently crashed my ipod and osx! If it's always on the same song, try excluding that song from the sync procress and see if it helps.

cheekyspanky
Apr 26, 2006, 06:27 AM
I'm having the same problem with mine but with images, not songs - I've reinstalled iTunes, reformatted the iPod 3 times, etc etc and still no joy.

It stops updating, then iTunes freezes, then I have to just unplug the iPod and force quit. The iPod seems to half update though, then the next time i Plug it in it fills a bit more..then freezes then after a while the iPod is full!

Nightmare!

Mord
Apr 26, 2006, 07:34 AM
if you have droped it and it's not covered under warranty and your have morals ect and are not willing to lie for your own ends you can do some repartitioning to effectively corden off the effected region, first off repartition the ipod in disk utility into 8 partition and run a daignostic on each to find where the problem lies

then partition around it, google it for more info and the terminal commands to paritition around the problem.

oh and if that does not work i'll give you 50 bucks for it plus shipping to the uk i have a 5GB HD from a 1st gen so i could make the smallest ipod video ever.

pseybold
Apr 26, 2006, 02:39 PM
yea...it

pseybold
Apr 26, 2006, 02:43 PM
yea...it isnt a specific song, it freezes on a different song every-time. i bought it when the video was first released so i doubt its under any warranty anymore. i know they will charge an arm & a leg at the genius bar to look at it. i tried the disk utility thing but im only so tech savvy with that jammy. any other ideas?

puckhead193
Apr 26, 2006, 02:51 PM
its still covered under warranty. You have one year for parts/ipod so it should be covered unless you dropped it really badly, or did something else like that.

http://www.apple.com/support/ on the right you can type in the serial number and see how many days left of warrenty on your ipod...