PDA

View Full Version : Apple to launch TV ads for Mac next week

MacBytes
Apr 27, 2006, 08:59 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple to launch TV ads for Mac next week (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060427215911)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

tk421
Apr 27, 2006, 10:16 PM
This is the first computer ad they've had in a while. I'm excited to see it!

p0intblank
Apr 27, 2006, 10:22 PM
YES!!!!!!!! :D

This seriously excites me so much. Apple needs more ads for the Mac. That Intel one is nice and all, but we need to see actual products and what they can do... like iLife '06 in 30 seconds... the Mac mini in the living room... how the iMac is an all-in-one computer... stuff like that. :)

I'm hyped!!!!

EricNau
Apr 27, 2006, 10:27 PM
Finally! It's about time!

I would like to see a whole series of commercials for the Mac that all follow the same format, but each describe a different part of OS X (expose, dashboard, spotlight, iChat AV, iLife, .mac, etc. etc.).

nagromme
Apr 27, 2006, 11:43 PM
I'll bet any money this coincides with new consumer MacBooks next Tuesday!

And they will sell in unholy numbers.

MacBoobsPro
Apr 28, 2006, 06:13 AM
I think Apple would really benefit from having loads of different 10/20 second TV spots of people actually using their mac and OSX.

It would be so easy to demonstrate how easy OSX and macs are to use.

For example the ad could start with just type saying "When is Jenny's flight coming in?" It can then fade out to an OSX screen showing someone opening dashboard typing in the flight number in that flight tracking widget. 2 seconds later. Theres the answer.

Another could be how easy iTunes is to use. Ad could start showing a CD being inserted into a mac. Then someone clicking import, watch it import, eject the CD then play the music from the hard drive. 20 seconds max!

Just little clips like this would have a massive impact. They would basically teach PC users who are afraid to switch because they are unfamiliar with OSX.

Another good one I just thought of would be someone coming in from work and as they enter the room the mac turns itself on (because its preset to come on when the guy gets home) the guy picks up his remote opens front row and puts on a movie while he grabs a beer from the fridge or something.

Theres so many possibilities. I wish I worked for Apple!
:cool:

sunfast
Apr 28, 2006, 06:26 AM
Excellent news.

The whole Mac / OS X experience lends itself so well to advertising like this. Can only be a good move for apple.

BenRoethig
Apr 28, 2006, 07:55 AM
Lets hope its not the "everybody else sucks, come to use if you're not stupid" like the last ones. That would drive the customers away.

MacBoobsPro
Apr 28, 2006, 08:28 AM
Lets hope its not the "everybody else sucks, come to use if you're not stupid" like the last ones. That would drive the customers away.

Yeh hope not. Like I said above OSX sells itself Apple just need to get people to see it in action on TV so when they go back to there PCs they wonder why they have to piss about burning a CD when it only took two mouse clicks on a mac.

lmalave
Apr 28, 2006, 08:57 AM

And they will sell in unholy numbers.

Yes. No other scenario makes sense. I really don't see Apple using a mass-market advertising campaign unless it's to push a mass-market product. And I don't see the Mac mini, iMac, or MacBook Pro being the focus of an advertising campaign. Those machines' designs haven't changed for years, and I don't see the focus of Apple's campaign being "yeah, they look the same but now it has Intel Inside" (even though that is a compelling new reason).

More likely, Apple will debut sleek, eye-catching, colorful MacBooks aimed squarely at the mass market. I see the MacBooks being huge with broad appeal for large segments of the population. Supposedly, the designs were meant to appeal to female consumers. And no doubt it will be a hit among students as well.

Pyrix
Apr 28, 2006, 09:04 AM

Don't be silly - Powerbook G5s next Tuesday fo' sure! ;)

avensis087
Apr 28, 2006, 09:34 AM
excellent! i've been waiting for actual MACINTOSH commercials for quite a while. everybody is familiar with the iPod + iTunes commercials, but now it's time to get the word out about MacBook or whatever else apple has in store for us. it's about time!

mr

withinavoid
Apr 28, 2006, 10:31 AM
Great news, Apple really needs to get Mac commercials out there. Windows users get an Expose clone and think how cool it is, not even knowing that we've had that capability for over a year on the Mac. Apple needs to show the Mac desktop experience, along with iLife, and how pain-free computing can be while still having cutting edge features.

nagromme
Apr 28, 2006, 10:38 AM
I don't think ads should show OS X in action in any kind of detail--because for MOST people (non-technophiles, non-Mac fans) it would just glaze their eyes over. Watching someone else have a great on-screen experience would be just about as boring as watching someone else have a mediocre one--and little would sink in.

Mentioning OS X features (in small doses) is fine, but showing it in action? That's best done AFTER you hook people--it's not itself the hook.

A pure teaser/image campaign could even work, leading people to Apple.com where the details can be better presented.

I'm thinking of the iPod nano ads. What does that tell you about specs and advantages? Not much--but I bet it was effective in getting people to look up those details online.

Peace
Apr 28, 2006, 10:50 AM
We will see what the ads are when "24" airs Monday night.;)