PDA

View Full Version : Macromedia Freehand MX released

crassusad44
Feb 10, 2003, 10:30 AM
Macromedia has announced Freehand MX. Hopefully with better support for OS X than the last version...

http://www.macromedia.com

fuge
Feb 10, 2003, 02:24 PM
which is better? freehand or illustrator?

kettle
Feb 10, 2003, 02:29 PM
Two weeks after I update Studio to MX and get Freehand 10 "FREE"
only 100 quid for the an up grade to Freehand MX:(

kettle
Feb 10, 2003, 02:32 PM
I prefer the feel of the macromedia, and MX will be better at working with Flash but I think Illustrator is the tool for a print pro.

eyelikeart
Feb 10, 2003, 05:09 PM
personally...I think Freehand 10 is a piece of *****...it's unstable in X...unstable in 9...they switched the damned keyboard shortcuts...

they lost it after version 9 I feel...it's sooooo slow....

I'm a Macromedia fan myself though...I don't like Illustrator much...not after I've been working in Freehand for 4 years...

I wonder what "improvements" they made for the MX version...

kenkooler
Feb 10, 2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by fuge

Personally I prefer Illustrator but I think its a matter of taste, they are both good products.

AmbitiousLemon
Feb 10, 2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by kettle
Two weeks after I update Studio to MX and get Freehand 10 "FREE"
only 100 quid for the an up grade to Freehand MX:(

it was announced at MWSF January 7th. they were handing out cds and papers on it. sucks that you bought at a bad time but it was pretty much your fault since you didn't do your homework before buying. Had you checked you would have discovered quickly that a FH MX release was imminent.

sorry if this seems harsh but it gets tiresome hearing people complaining about product updates all the time, expecially when they made such a bad buying decision in the first place.

Fall
Feb 10, 2003, 07:13 PM
Lucky I'm an Illustrator man

...and don't know the first thing about Freehand...

...cos my Studio MX package should arrive today.

DAMN IT

And booooo to that guy who bagged the other guy for 'poor purchase time.' Just because he didn't do his 'research' (like me now apparently) doesn't give you the right to put a bullet through his head.

kettle
Feb 10, 2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
sorry if this seems harsh but it gets tiresome hearing people complaining about product updates all the time, expecially when they made such a bad buying decision in the first place.

Not harsh because it's only really a comment (rather than a complaint) on the use of a trial product, I hadn't used Freehand up until the point of getting a bonus version with the Studio MX upgrade, presumably to demonstrate an integrated suite of applications. I would have gladly tried Freehand MX as an alternative to Illustrator, (which I already use), had the cost been a little more realistic. It is a shame that my curiosity for the application will end with a taste of poor integration and stability.

What is tiresome is that a Moderator on a disscussion forum can attempt to dismiss a comment that has no conclusion with a statement of the obvious and no useful extension to the disscusion. A person making a comment detailing the disappointment of a poorly timed purchase will be acutely aware of the need for "homework" as much as a motorist in a road traffic collision is aware that they were traveling too quickly to stop safely, and that to be really safe they should have done their "Homework" and never bought a car in the first place.

Thanks any way.
Has anyone else had information on a cheaper upgrade path for those who have only just started using Freehand 10 and would like to try the integration features with the other MX applications?

Wash!!
Feb 10, 2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by fuge

Freehand is more flexiable and forgiven.:D

Fall
Feb 11, 2003, 12:17 AM
Illustrator is shiny :)

I'm not sure what that means, alls I know is that I've never really given Freehand a chance...just taught myself Illustrator and gone from there...

Wash!!
Feb 11, 2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Fall
Illustrator is shiny :)

I'm not sure what that means, alls I know is that I've never really given Freehand a chance...just taught myself Illustrator and gone from there...

Freehand allows you to do things in a easer way than illustrator. Illustrator makes you work too much to achive the effect you want.

Den-Chan
Feb 11, 2003, 01:58 PM
If any of you use Illustrator and Quark to do graphics/layout design then you should try Freehand. Basically its both programs combined and like one user said you can do things in fewer steps then you can do in Illustrator. Plus freehand has mutliple page layout so that is a bonus. Freehand 10.0.1 was very stable under os X so people who had problems probably have ver 10.0. In the end its all a matter of which one you preffer. Some folks like windows..and we choose a mac. Freehand just helps me get the job done way faster then Illustrator.

my 2 cents

Kid Red
Feb 11, 2003, 02:16 PM
Perhaps some of you freehand users can enlighten me. How do you use the selction tool? I mean literally? In photoshop, you click and dra a selction then release and you see the animated selection. In Freehand, a line follows the selection tool 9which is weird) then after I make my slection and release the mouse button, the slection goes by by. So how the hell do you select an object to cut it out from the background?

Wash!!
Feb 11, 2003, 02:47 PM
First of all Photoshop is a Raster image editor the selection tool behaves differently in a vector image editor or illustration program like freehand. Have said that here it goes

You select and object by clicking on its boder and there you have you move, enlarge it, reduce it. also if you double click on the object the transfor achors appear that lets you rotate, skew it, resize etc..

there is also an option if you double click on the selction tool in the tool pallet a little window appears that lets you change how it works (see attached picture) this lest you drag a box around the object or objects you want to select like photoshop. also if you have a group of objects you hold the option key and it lets you select the individual objects without ungrouping them.

have fun with.:D