PDA

View Full Version : For Apple's Windows Strategy to work: Replace Microsoft Off...

MacBytes
Apr 28, 2006, 11:28 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: For Apple's Windows Strategy to work: Replace Microsoft Office and Buy Adobe Systems (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060428122855)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

BenRoethig
Apr 28, 2006, 11:58 AM
If in the financial realm of possibility, bringing adobe into the fold wouldn't be a bad idea. A professional Office suite with Filemaker at its core could work if Apple is willing to take the steps needed.

asencif
Apr 28, 2006, 12:05 PM
While the author does put some things together well, it still seems very far fetch and the one killer app the Apple would need is a replacement for Outlook as the Exchange server and MAPI protocol is used by 90% of businesses. Buying Adobe is something many have brought up in the past and well if it can be done than they should do it. Apple would have the Creative market entirely with that.

backupdrummer
Apr 28, 2006, 12:16 PM
I wonder if there would be any anittrust issues with this.

I would be happy if Apple just bought Freehand from Adobe so that it isn't killed off by Adobe.

ppc_michael
Apr 28, 2006, 12:25 PM
Oh, that's all Apple has to do is suddenly develop the Office killer and buy Adobe? That's so easy! Why hasn't this been done already!? :rolleyes:

IJ Reilly
Apr 28, 2006, 12:35 PM
Intriguing as always, but this time I can't agree with Cringely. For one thing, I think the market would hate an Apple-Adobe merger. In addition to the cost and "culture" issues that always dog big mergers, the question is automatically raised, "what about the Windows versions of [fill in Adobe product]?" The market would have a difficult time persuading itself that Apple didn't buy the company to kill off some key Adobe product for Windows. And who's to say that Adobe would be open to a merger? A hostile takeover would be a dead weight around Apple's neck for years. This would be very bad news. I'd use the same example Cringely did: Oracle.

Also, Cringely mysteriously fails to mention the major elements of an office suite that Apple already has in place. OpenOffice? I don't think so. Apple hasn't visibly moved one inch in that direction.

brett_x
Apr 28, 2006, 12:42 PM
I think the author needs to be more informed of all of the applications in question between the two companies. Did he really say that Aperture could die so that PhotoShop could reign? Apparently he hasn't heard of Lightroom http://labs.macromedia.com/technologies/lightroom/

jholzner
Apr 28, 2006, 01:18 PM
I think the author needs to be more informed of all of the applications in question between the two companies. Did he really say that Aperture could die so that PhotoShop could reign? Apparently he hasn't heard of Lightroom http://labs.macromedia.com/technologies/lightroom/

He obviously doesn't understand what Aperture is. It's not even competing with Photoshop.

Analog Kid
Apr 28, 2006, 02:37 PM
I've got to admit that I don't know what Apple is up to with BootCamp as a long term strategy, and while I think it offers the potential for big dividends as far as switchers on the fence it is the application developers I'm most worried about.

That said, Cringely consistently falls in the "one day we'll all have flying cars" camp and his articles never carry much weight with me.

Wouldn't mind having his job though-- getting paid for just making stuff up? I'm in.

dashiel
Apr 28, 2006, 04:01 PM
it's cringely. 'nuff said.

if anything i think apple buying adobe is something adobe wants. vista is going to introduce the whole XAML/avalon/metro suite of tools that are aimed squarely at adobe's core market segments (photoshop, PDF, flash). because microsoft's suite was designed from the ground up to be an interactive development platform it's looking better than the confused state of adobe/macromedia's offerings.

i personally don't think adobe it going to be able to get the macromedia merger done in time to compete with the microsoft suite. an apple purchase that leveraged the technologies behind flash, photoshop and illustrator in a seamless final cut studio like package and exported to XHTML and flash would make sense.

sonicsessions
Apr 28, 2006, 04:33 PM
oh god... more of Cringley's hairbrained machinations. You know, I did like his hosting of PBS's story on the birth of the computer industry several years ago... but if I have to read another Cringley article on how Apple will have to bring back the Newton to survive or how Microsoft is going to buy Apple's calculator program, but only to smooth over relations, etc, I think I'm going to curl up in the fetal position for a while.

swingerofbirch
Apr 28, 2006, 05:42 PM
I use Office on the Mac occasionally, but I have to wonder: what makes Office such a killer set of applications?

I see Microsoft's advertisements that Office 97 users are like dinosaurs in the stone age....but what has really changed?

Why is Office better than any generic rip off?

lmalave
Apr 28, 2006, 06:40 PM
I use Office on the Mac occasionally, but I have to wonder: what makes Office such a killer set of applications?

I see Microsoft's advertisements that Office 97 users are like dinosaurs in the stone age....but what has really changed?

It's not that MS Office is better. It's that MS Office is the de facto standard, and only MS Office can guarantee 100% compatibility with MS Office. Though I *am* impressed with OpenOffice. Just about every Word or even PowerPoint that document I've opened has rendered correctly.

If it is true that future versions of Office will confirm to an open ECMA standard, then I think that will open the door to do what Cringely is proposing. But as someone mentioned above, document compatibility is only part of the equation. The key is to have a Mail/Calendar program that is compatible with Exchange. And email is only part of that equation - almost all mid to large companies also use Exchange's calendar/scheduling functionality extensively. I think that's going to be a much tougher nut to crack, since right now I think Microsoft's own Entourage is the only OS X software that fully integrates with Exchange...

AlmostThere
Apr 28, 2006, 07:49 PM

MS Office has had a massive amount of software developed for it, such as financial models in Excel using visual basic or c++. It is not just a matter of replacing a spreadsheet or word processor but enabling all that development to be reused. Office is very much a platform, much like Windows itself.

nagromme
Apr 28, 2006, 09:04 PM
I liked Macromedia just fine. I liked Adobe just fine. That doesn't mean I like seeing them merge.

I wouldn't like seeing Apple gobble Adobe either.

macnulty
Apr 28, 2006, 11:54 PM
Like other posters have alluded to, Cringley (as usual) just glosses over the realities in business computing in a sort of literary masturbation. What if, what if, what if? It's not just a matter of substituting "B" for "A" because in any industry it never is; there is a culture, an ecosystem around which this stuff is built that changes at the speed of evolution.

maestro55
Apr 29, 2006, 03:53 PM
I have been using OpenOffice.org on the Linux platform since its early days (back when it was StarOffice.. which I started using on Windows, and then on Linux, and now OpenOffice.org). Assuming that the average user of Office makes use of the basic tools that OpenOffice.org offer, I think it would be a good movie for OpenOffice.org to be included in with Mac OS X. I would love to see more of these open source applications built in with OS X.

As for Apple buying Adobe, I would rather see Apple come up with even more software that directly competes with Adobe. Already Final Cut Pro has gained more respect than Premier (or so I would assume). Aperture isn't meant to replace PhotoShop, but I would like to see Apple work on a program that could replace PhotoShop. Something like InDesign made by Apple would be nice, too.