PDA

View Full Version : Konfabulator 1.0

sparkleytone
Feb 10, 2003, 01:34 PM
as expected, this software RULES. the only widget i am using at the moment is the weather widget, but the others are awesome too.

shareware kinda sux, but arlo rose has put in MAD work.

go get it.

www.konfabulator.com

http://homepage.mac.com/alanbrent/.Pictures/konf.png

Mr. Anderson
Feb 10, 2003, 02:02 PM
Very cool stuff. Looking forward to playing with it. :D

D

MacAztec
Feb 10, 2003, 02:12 PM
This software kicks ass. I am using the stock quote, the iTunes remote, and the weather thing. Check it out!

Phazer80s
Feb 10, 2003, 02:31 PM
Upon my first run of Konfabulator, the Debug window appeared. It stated:

"Failed to load: /Users/[my home account]/[the install location]/Konfabulator.app/Contents/Resources/Welcome.widget/Contents/Welcome.kon
XML Parse Error: 1: Failed to open file"[/SIZE]

Now the Konfabulator icon appears in the menubar. It's fully accessible, but I can't track down where the default Widgets are. The "Open Widget" command opens the Home/Documents folder and I see nothing related to Konfabulator there. The 3rd party Widgets function without problems, but where oh where are the defaults?

Any idea what gives? :confused:

vniow
Feb 10, 2003, 03:17 PM
The widgets that come with it now are kinda useless, more playthings than anything else but the thing definately has a lot of potential, especially since people can write their own widgets for it.

FelixDerKater
Feb 10, 2003, 03:37 PM
The Widgets folder should be in the Home/Documents folder.

This is some awesome software. It has awesome potential. Right, now, there is still a need for more widgets. It would be kinda nice if they added support for technologies such as Flash or QT, but that is for later releases. Right now, I'm happy with it. Great job, Arlo Rose and crew.

Mr. Anderson
Feb 10, 2003, 03:40 PM
very nice stuff - although I agree that there needs to be some more widgets, but hey, Rome wasn't built in a day, right?

I'm definitely using the calendar and the digital clock is nice, might keep that too. The others are mostly fluff and eyecandy. The battery is very cool, but useless. It would be more entertaining if it had bubbles animating through it.

D

springscansing
Feb 10, 2003, 04:44 PM
Konfabulator was the first program to crash Jaguar EVER on my computer. Figures.

What else should I have expected from the same people that made Kaleidoscope?

It's not very useful (yet), and its not entirely stable either.

I'd avoid it if you do anything serious with your computer.

sparkleytone
Feb 10, 2003, 06:04 PM
i havent had anything remotely wrong happen so far with konfab. in fact its probably the most arduously tested software to be released by 'some guy' in a long time. he spent alot of time debugging and making sure that most people would get a good experience out of the box.

also, i am impressed that the software doesnt make my g3 cough and sputter like most new eye candy.

pyrotoaster
Feb 10, 2003, 06:06 PM
Konfabulator is one of the few shareware apps I'll actually shell out my hard-earned cash for. It isn't nearly complete yet, but it has tons of potential, and a real future.

I haven't had any serious problems, but the iTunes remote keeps trying to boot iTunes 2, out of my Classic Apps folder. I moved iTunes 2 to the Trash, and now the remote boots it from the trash (not a pretty sight).

Besides that, I'm enjoying Konfabulator, and it looks like a lot of other people are, too. While there's no way to know exactly how many people have downloaded the app, over 5000 have already grabbed the widget "ChainShot" (which is pretty fun).

I can't wait to see more widgets developed. And while I don't know jack squat about writing Java Script, I look forward to skinning some widgets.
Congratulations to Arlo Rose and crew!

alset
Feb 10, 2003, 06:39 PM
I'd like to see Vanity Dockling move in as a widget. These are basically docklings without the dock. VD is the only one I ever kept. Anyone know enough Java to work on a simple project for me? 8)

Dan

chewbaccapits
Feb 10, 2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by vniow
The widgets that come with it now are kinda useless, more playthings than anything else but the thing definately has a lot of potential, especially since people can write their own widgets for it.

I don't know but everytime she WRITES "widget" it just sounds sexy...:rolleyes:

jaykk
Feb 10, 2003, 06:58 PM
My CPU runs 100% all the time with this software, so i decided to uninstall.

vniow
Feb 10, 2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by chewbaccapits

I don't know but everytime she WRITES "widget" it just sounds sexy...:rolleyes:

It's the shoes.

Phazer80s
Feb 10, 2003, 10:49 PM
Whoo-hoo!!! PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! :D

After a day of wrangling I tried ONE MORE clean install. I deleted the prefs file, the whole shebang. I downloaded Konfabulator from the site, this time it used the ResExcellence mirror instead of another (not that this really matters; both .dmg files werte exactly the same size.)

This time I placed Konfabulator in the Applications folder instead of a folder set aside for UI utilities. On the first install I placed it in said custom folder, not Apps. Strangely, my second 'clean install' of Konfabulator didn't work despite putting it in Applications. Maybe the second time around wasn't so clean after all…

FattyMembrane
Feb 11, 2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by jaykk
My CPU runs 100% all the time with this software, so i decided to uninstall.
that sounds very odd. if you can remember exactly what the circumstances were, i'm sure that arlo and perry would appreciate an email so that they can fix the problem. on average, kon takes up about 0% of the cpu and very little ram on my 500mhz imac, which is amazing. as much as i've tried to hype konfab, i may wait until either some really cool widgets come along, or until it hits 1.1 (which will include some great features, like text input).

pantagruel
Feb 11, 2003, 10:36 PM
hmm, what exactly is so cool about this program anyways? just cluttering up my desktop......

Mudbug
Feb 11, 2003, 10:53 PM
:) How cool is this? It makes my 'puter even that much more informative, even when I'm not doing anything but sitting around reading something in the general vicinity of the screen.

This may be the fastest I've ever paid the shareware fee on anything (excluding cdfinder - that rocks, too) :p

Beej
Feb 12, 2003, 12:38 AM
This stuff is sweet. I changed the iTunes remote display to be a ver sexy blue colour, changed the font, and made the volume slide up after announcing the name of a song rather than just jumping straight back up.

More software should be this easy to butcher. If only I could chop 95% of the features out of M$ Word this easily...

We can dream. :)

cb911
Feb 18, 2003, 12:33 AM
sweet!!! :D

i've been waiting for this for ages!! :)

i'm gonna get it as soon as i get home...

senseibiz
Feb 19, 2003, 01:00 PM
I have a question, How do you change the preferences for each widget. for example the weather, how do you change the city. do you have to purchase konfabulator to unlock the prefrences.
Thanks you

dynamicd
Feb 19, 2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by senseibiz
I have a question, How do you change the preferences for each widget. for example the weather, how do you change the city. do you have to purchase konfabulator to unlock the prefrences.
Thanks you

It's easy...just do Control C.

FelixDerKater
Feb 19, 2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Beej
This stuff is sweet. I changed the iTunes remote display to be a ver sexy blue colour, changed the font, and made the volume slide up after announcing the name of a song rather than just jumping straight back up.

More software should be this easy to butcher. If only I could chop 95% of the features out of M$ Word this easily...

We can dream. :)

Do you plan on submitting these changes to the Konfab gallery? It would be cool if we could try out your modified widget.

zach
Feb 27, 2003, 03:20 PM
i would be very grateful if someone would post a skinned itunes remote with a jaguar fur skin... i spent a while but couldnt do it.....

welfaremike
Feb 28, 2003, 02:41 AM
I downloaded Konfabulator the day it came out. Man, that thing is more over rated than "It". Remember "it"? We don't know what "it" is, but "it" will be the greatest invention the planet has seen...turned out to be a piece of **** hi-tech scooter. Konfabulator is the exact same thing. Pretty much every widget I've downloaded sucks my ******* six ways to Sunday, plus the widgets take up sooooo much desktop real estate that I feel like I've got WinXP's start menu going. I mean, do I want to look a fat, lazy cat to see my CPU usage, or use Apple's sleek CPU Monitor app? I think I'll go with apple on that one.

Maybe I'm wrong. But I don't think I am. Everything I've seen so far from Konfabu****er can be done with OSX's included software or be seen on a website. I do hope, though, that something good can come out of this software. In fact, I'm betting on it...we just haven't seen it yet.