PDA

View Full Version : Sony Readies iPod Rival

MacBytes
Apr 29, 2006, 12:50 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Sony Readies iPod Rival (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060429015032)
Description:: Sony is preparing to take another swing at Apple Computer's iPod digital music player, a top Sony executive said today.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

greatdevourer
Apr 29, 2006, 01:30 AM
I think the description says it all - another swing. The others weren't too successful, were they?

avensis087
Apr 29, 2006, 01:31 AM
i'm pretty sure that every 'ipod rival' has turned out to be quite the opposite. where's that iriver i heard so LITTLE about? lol

mr

wedge antilies
Apr 29, 2006, 01:39 AM
I'd expect this sort of rhetoric from Sony.
Ho Hum another iPod killer...yet they don't expect their YEARLY digital player sales to be bigger than Apples QUARTERLY sales.

That being said, I think that Sony is a very inconsistent company, and althoough they have overblown failures occasionally (lack of adoption for Beta, UMD and MiniDisk) when they succeed, they hit a homerun (Trintitron, PlayStation and Walkman).

So I hope that Apple continues its innovation in the iPod, as I think the biggest danger for iPod's marketshare is complacency and tiredness from consumers (ie, some people will buy another MP3 player only because it is NOT an iPod).

-Red 2.

Chundles
Apr 29, 2006, 01:52 AM
Sony's thought processes when designing a "typically Sony" portable mp3 player:

Name: NW-1701 - wow, that's a catchy name, all the kids are going to call mp3 players "NW-1701's" instead of "iPods" now.

Design: "Lets make it in lots of colours with lots of buttons so that it looks really techie. Oh, and make sure it hangs off a lanyard, everybody wants something heavy hanging around their necks bouncing back and forth"

Software: "Meh, who cares about software?"

danielsan26
Apr 29, 2006, 02:08 AM
I am a-weary of this moon. Would he would change!

.Andy
Apr 29, 2006, 02:11 AM
Sony's thought processes when designing a "typically Sony" portable mp3 player:

Name: NW-1701 - wow, that's a catchy name, all the kids are going to call mp3 players "NW-1701's" instead of "iPods" now.

Design: "Lets make it in lots of colours with lots of buttons so that it looks really techie. Oh, and make sure it hangs off a lanyard, everybody wants something heavy hanging around their necks bouncing back and forth"

Don't forget the file types.

Sony Music: "Instead of it supporting mp3, AAC, Ogg, FLAC, WMV - lets come up with our own propriety media type. If we make it impossible to use no one will bother breaking it and we'll be 100% free fo piracy."

CallmeKenneth
Apr 29, 2006, 11:02 AM
I think it's a good thing that Sony continues to <try> to beat the iPod. It helps to keep Apple on its toes. Hopefully the guys at Cupertino have the business sense to know that just 'cos you're at the top today, it won't necessarily guarantee you will be tomorrow. The turnbulent history of Apple has proved this. The only way you can keep the lead is through constant innovation - which is why Apple has to release the much-hyped video iPod.

An ipod killer killer, so to speak...

neoles
Apr 29, 2006, 11:26 AM
Methinks Sony's best shot will be their up and coming Walkman phone W950 and subsequent walkman phone series.

http://www.autoglobal.com/fotos/6500/6584.jpg

4gig HD with wifi, movieplayer, telephone, bluetooth etc... built into a neat and small package. The most important is that is syncs with Macs over Bluetooth and once connected with the Mac via its USB cable, becomes a "mass storage" device. File transfers for songs and videos would be fast through its USB2.0 standard. Another advantage would be its bluetooth stereo streaming... I can listen to this baby wirelessly, through a bluetooth headset (like the Moto HT820). I know that sound quality isn't top notch but believe me, its every acceptable...

Perhaps its just me... I don't see myself carrying the ipod with me all the time. BUT... I will carry my mobile phone with me all the time. I am a true blue Mac fan and I love my Mac... but if only Apple would come up with a iPhone, I know I'll be the first to get it. (Pls don't tell me about the crappy Moto iPhone... the Madonna ad was great but the phone is major crap...). Thus, Sony actually has the advantage here...

p0intblank
Apr 29, 2006, 11:34 AM
I'll believe it when I see it.

motulist
Apr 29, 2006, 02:49 PM
I don't see myself carrying the ipod with me all the time. BUT... I will carry my mobile phone with me all the time.

Ever have your iPod battery run out? Now imagine that the same battery is supposed to power your iPod AND your phone. Until batteries improve you wont see too many products succeed that are sold on the basis of being a phone + media player. If your music player runs out of juice it's no big deal. If your phone runs out of juice it is a very big deal. IMO.

redAPPLE
Apr 29, 2006, 02:51 PM
is the "iPod rival" the new "iPod killer"?

aswitcher
Apr 29, 2006, 03:12 PM
Methinks Sony's best shot will be their up and coming Walkman phone W950 and subsequent walkman phone series.

4gig HD with wifi, movieplayer, telephone, bluetooth etc... built into a neat and small package. The most important is that is syncs with Macs over Bluetooth and once connected with the Mac via its USB cable, becomes a "mass storage" device. File transfers for songs and videos would be fast through its USB2.0 standard. Another advantage would be its bluetooth stereo streaming... I can listen to this baby wirelessly, through a bluetooth headset (like the Moto HT820). I know that sound quality isn't top notch but believe me, its every acceptable...

I wish this did Apples DRM as well...that would really be an iPod killer for me then.

chasemac
Apr 29, 2006, 03:16 PM
******* Sony!!:mad:

TopGear
Apr 29, 2006, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I've played around with the W800 -- very nice -- and I love my S-E z520. If only Cupertino came out with a phone...

avus
Apr 30, 2006, 02:30 PM
******* Sony!!:mad:

How much meaningless and idiotic can you get, sir?

roach
Apr 30, 2006, 03:07 PM
Walkman W950

I got a 3 year old mp3 player and I been holding out for a cell/mp3 player combo and this Sony is looking good. I want at least 2 gig, and the 4 gig size is a bonus. Battery wouldn't be a concern, I got my cell pluged all the time beside my desk and I'm sure it will have enough juice for my other uses. Design is so so...maybe if it comes in other colors, it might make it look better.

DNC70
Apr 30, 2006, 03:51 PM
Yep, Not Sony. I have a Sony HD-5- it sounds great, but the software is absolutely hopeless. Inconsistent, buggy, slow. Won't buy another Sony HD walkman again.

j26
Apr 30, 2006, 03:58 PM
Ever have your iPod battery run out? Now imagine that the same battery is supposed to power your iPod AND your phone. Until batteries improve you wont see too many products succeed that are sold on the basis of being a phone + media player. If your music player runs out of juice it's no big deal. If your phone runs out of juice it is a very big deal. IMO.

A software dooda that cuts off the iPod part when you get below say 20% battery??
Assuming a 5 day battery life as a phone, that's a day left - surely sufficient time to find a charger.

Or 5% cut-off if you like living dangerously;)

BurtonCCC
Apr 30, 2006, 04:04 PM
I'd totally use this as a phone. As an iPod replacement? Highly unlikely. I'm so sick of this phone/camera/video/music player combination crap.

Daniel.

jaydub
Apr 30, 2006, 04:11 PM
Indeed. My cellphone and iPod serve very different purposes, and I will never make use a a device that combines them. It seems like the more components they add to a cellphone, the less it excels at performing any of them effectively.

iJawn108
Apr 30, 2006, 05:03 PM
Sony is great but their MP3 players don't really appeal to me at all. 1 they are more expensive than iPods and 2 they don't look as slick as the ipods and have no battery replacement deal. No thanks Sony iPod my MP3 will be when I decide to buy one.

dshootist
May 1, 2006, 12:11 AM
the biggest problem i see with the whole phone/mp3 player/video gagetry, is the upgradability. most people i know will change phones at least once a year (whether through loss, boredom or obsolescence). if you're going to make a truly "upgradable" media hub, start with the upgrade aspect...

neoles
May 1, 2006, 03:07 AM
Battery:
I believe phone users operate rather differently as compared to ipod users. For one, as an ardent user of the P910 at present, I have a charger both at home and at work... if not for the fact that I have just changed my car and dismantled the car kit, I would have a charger in the car as well. I charge my P910 everyday and even have a spare battery at hand. The spare battery has been in my drawer for a year now, cos the event for me to use it has been nil... then again, I am not an ardent music listener like a lot out there who popped the earphones of their ipods hours in a row... but all in all, it is very manageable where battery life is concerned...

Upgradability:
Sony Ericsson provides software upgrade over the internet now. ie, you update the software for your phone yourself when it becomes available. This is MUCH better than the days when you have to send/go down to the service centre to get it done. As to newer phones appearing all the time, the same goes for all MP3 players including the ipod. I believe that for the past year, ipod's newer models appear even faster than the mobile phone which I have - the P910. I am like waiting forever for the P990 to be launched by Sony Ericsson... that was until I saw the news about W950 walkman phone... frankly, I am in a delimma which I will be hitting...

P990 has everything including wifi, 3G and a 2m pixel cam... but I am attracted to the feel and the branding of the walkman phone... only time will tell which way I go...

steve_hill4
May 1, 2006, 12:22 PM
The article states that Sony will concentrate on their current strong areas like battery life. Don't make me laugh. Their 20GB model currently states 35 hours, but that is ATRAC3PLUS at 48kbps. It actually states on the box for 128kbps mp3, (and so also aac if it did it), it drops to about 18 hours. I would actually say in reality it is closer to the iPod in length, (30GB with 14 hours).

To be fair they do come out as more reliable than the iPod, but that is only if you can get past the problems of working the device/software. Also, after software issues the number one flaw is battery life. Most we get returned say they only get about 2 hours out of it.