PDA

View Full Version : Schools can't resist bargain on laptops

MacBytes
Apr 29, 2006, 12:58 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Schools can't resist bargain on laptops (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060429015800)
Description:: A laptop for $48? The answer is yes - and we're talking more than 30,000 of them.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

macnulty
Apr 29, 2006, 08:43 AM
Henrico could learn some . . . lessons, :D

CallmeKenneth
Apr 29, 2006, 10:52 AM
I guess $48 is a bargain, although a 4-year old iBook must be pretty clunky now. Would they have G3s in them? Hardly any use except for word processing and internet...

bigandy
Apr 29, 2006, 04:46 PM
WOW! It is definitely a bargain.

I think they do have G3 processors, if I'm not mistaken, all iBooks released contained G3's. Yes, it may be a little slow, but you can install Tiger on them, and I doubt schools will be using them for much other than spreadsheets, word processing, internet and other light applications. Most of them came with a 20GB HD, which isn't too bad.

You can check out the detailed specs at www.apple-history.com

maybe you should take a look at apple-history.com... because not "all iBooks released contained G3's". :p

i'm using a G3 400 iMac w/ 320mb RAM and a 10Gb hdd. and it's running quite fast under tiger. I use it for my email, to keep my PMG5 quad 2.5 for Final Cut stuff only, and I'm really not left around waiting for things to load. which surprised me. :) pleasantly.

Nermal
Apr 29, 2006, 05:57 PM
The G4 iBooks weren't out until 2003, maybe 2004, so these will definitely be G3.

calebjohnston
Apr 29, 2006, 06:04 PM
"They are four years older . . . and a little slow," said the schools' technology director, Stephen Smith, "but they are still functional and, for $48 apiece, they are a good investment."

For 48 dollars, he can ****.

"good investment". Try incredible?

phatpat88
Apr 30, 2006, 02:22 AM
"They are four years older . . . and a little slow," said the schools' technology director, Stephen Smith, "but they are still functional and, for $48 apiece, they are a good investment."

For 48 dollars, he can ****.

"good investment". Try incredible?

Seriously, one could QUICKLY turn around the iBooks AS IS on ebay for $150-200++

calebjohnston
Apr 30, 2006, 10:01 AM
Aye cap'n.

macgeek2005
Apr 30, 2006, 01:31 PM
I guess $48 is a bargain, although a 4-year old iBook must be pretty clunky now. Would they have G3s in them? Hardly any use except for word processing and internet...

AHHHHHHHHHHH. How brainwashed can someone be?????? God ****ing Damn It.

Am I gonna get banned for trying to wake people up to reality?

NEWS FLASH!!! THERE IS NOT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "OLDER" COMPUTERS, AND "NEWER" COMPUTERS. ONLY THE PRICE.

STEVE JOBS POPS UP NEXT TO YOU, SAYS "NEWER STUFF IS BETTER", AND YOU HAND HIM A QUICK $2000. IT'S ****ING INSANITY.

HOW CAN YOU ****ING SAY THAT THAT G3 CAN ONLY DO WORD PROCCESING AND INTERNET? DO YOU REALISE THAT YOU ARE 100% WRONG?

GOOD

OUT.

GAHHH... I hate people sometimes.

Blue Velvet
Apr 30, 2006, 01:36 PM
NEWS FLASH!!! THERE IS NOT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "OLDER" COMPUTERS, AND "NEWER" COMPUTERS. ONLY THE PRICE.

Oh really? Render time for a recent Carrara Pro file on my friend's G4 450 at home? 6 & 1/2 hours.

At work on the dual 2.5 G5s? Less than 20 minutes. While he continued to work in Photoshop and Quark for magazine layout.

Not much difference. No, not at all.

macgeek2005
Apr 30, 2006, 01:42 PM
Oh really? Render time for a recent Carrara Pro file on my friend's G4 450 at home? 6 & 1/2 hours.

At work on the dual 2.5 G5s? Less than 20 minutes. While he continued to work in Photoshop and Quark for magazine layout.

Not much difference. No, not at all.

Nice. Now, take a G3 iBook and do all the things that normal people use their computer for, and it'll work.

Internet, Word Proccesing, iLife, DVD playing, and it'll even play some games.

So, for most people, it's a brainwash.

Blue Velvet
Apr 30, 2006, 01:53 PM
Nice. Now, take a G3 iBook and do all the things that normal people use their computer for, and it'll work.

Internet, Word Proccesing, iLife, DVD playing, and it'll even play some games.

Normal people? I think you're trying just a little too hard to feel good about your recent purchase by dissing other people's needs. In caps, no less.