PDA

View Full Version : iPod broken. Again.

Bengt77
Apr 29, 2006, 01:29 AM
Hey people,

I'm getting quite frustrated with the iPod as a product. I'm at my second iPod (5G, before that a 3G which I still use ocasionally), but actually, I'll soon be at my fifth unit. My 3G went berserk on me twice, so I've used three different 3G iPods. And now my 5G seems to hate me, since it won't respond to anything anymore (and yes, I've tried everything). Man, I'm getting really annoyed by Apple's apparent lack of good iPod QC. I've never had any problems with their computers, but their iPods really seem to s*ck.

Is it common to have so many problems with the iPods? Me girlfriend blames me for always wanting to rush out and buy the first generation of new products, but that's *********, I think. A product should only come to market when the bugs are worked out, right? Right.

So, my 5G is heading back for Cork, Ireland next week. Will probably - again - receive a new unit. The customer service is great; can't say anything bad about that, really. It's just the quality control; man, it must be really bad.

I love my iPod(s) to pieces, but this gets me kind of worried. Will I buy a third iPod when this one ultimately breaks or when I find it time to replace it? It won't be the no-brainer it was when first purchasing the 3G. I was overanxious to get the 5G, so didn't really let my bad experiences with the 3G unit influence my purchase. But next time, I'll have to think twice before shelling out big time for another iPod. And another. If you get what I mean.

:(

caveman_uk
Apr 29, 2006, 01:56 AM
You must have really bad luck as I've got a 3G ipod and it still works fine. Loads of people I know have them too and no-one's ever mentioned any problems (apart from the obvious like scratching too easy).

Some people just seem to get the lemons I guess (Thanks for doing that BTW as it means I'm less likely to get one ;) )

The only thing I wish was better made is the old iPod remote - I think I've been through four of the damn things...

Bengt77
Apr 29, 2006, 02:08 AM
You must have really bad luck as I've got a 3G ipod and it still works fine.
Yeah, I guess so. I'm not too thrilled about having it (the bad luck), though.

Some people just seem to get the lemons I guess (Thanks for doing that BTW as it means I'm less likely to get one ;) )
You're welcome. :rolleyes:

MacAficionado
Apr 29, 2006, 08:38 AM
I don't know. When one person has had so many problems with iPods it makes me wonder wether it's the iPods or the user. I have two 3G (10 & 15GB) without a single problem, ever.

I don't want to bash you, but when sombody is having these many problems you have to wonder, if you're doing everything right, it may be environmental or just flat out having a lot of corruption in your music files. Of course, nobody admits to ilegally downloading 99.9% of their music libraries though. But whatever! I know the iPod is a solid product, people just have to treat them as the expensive device that they are, people think they can be treated as cell phones, they are wrong.

Bengt77
May 1, 2006, 02:13 AM
I don't know. When one person has had so many problems with iPods it makes me wonder wether it's the iPods or the user. I have two 3G (10 & 15GB) without a single problem, ever.

I don't want to bash you, but when sombody is having these many problems you have to wonder, if you're doing everything right, it may be environmental or just flat out having a lot of corruption in your music files. Of course, nobody admits to ilegally downloading 99.9% of their music libraries though. But whatever! I know the iPod is a solid product, people just have to treat them as the expensive device that they are, people think they can be treated as cell phones, they are wrong.
Oh, I know they're expensive and delicate devices. I do treat them as such. It's just really weird, all the problems. And about corrupted music files. I don't know, how could they be of any problem to a music playing device? Besides, all music I've ever ripped or downloaded plays just fine, so it should be of no problem. (By the way, I think not even 50% of my music is downloaded. Most of it is ripped cd's I already own. Have a lot of them, so it's not that I never helped feeding the record companies.)

And what do you mean about environmental? Don't know what you mean. But anyways, some of my friends have had problems with their iPods too. One has a crack on the inner side of the display, so that could never have been from misuse, but Apple refuses to repair it. An other had his iPod die on him some time ago. So it's not that it never happens. I guess I'm just unlucky. And maybe the bad batches are shipped overseas, and the US gets the good ones?!...

brett33
May 2, 2006, 09:41 PM
I had a 2nd Generation 20GB which I had no problems with.

Next was an original Mini (Green if that matters) had to send that one in under warranty cause of a bad drive. Got it repaired and still have it.

Sold the 20GB got a 4th Gen 40GB, died a wee bit out of warranty, and I have not had it repaired (bad HD).

4GB Nano, a week ago it had lines across the bottom third of the screen, sent it in and they sent a replacement

1GB shuffle died completely dead, they sent a replacement, sent in the dead one.

30GB 5th Gen, had it a week, and it's still working.

So, I guess you aren't the only one to have had issues, although I admit that I may be a bit tougher on them than most people. Keep 'em in the camera bag etc.

student_trap
May 3, 2006, 04:13 AM
hmmmm, i have 2 3G's and a 4G and a shuffle and they are all great (so far!), ive had no problems whatsoever! My girlfriend and my sis both have 20gig ipods (a 3G and a 4G respectively) and they treat them like trash...really. They throw them in and out of bags, across tables etc etc etc and their ipods just keep on ticking!

so no complaints here