Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zoowatch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Sheffield, UK
I am intending to buy an external DVD drive from LaCie for compatibility reason.

The main purpiose of this is to watch DVDs with Apple DVD Player.

I have read many problems in the Apple Discussion forum, especially the issue that the DVD drive is not recognised.

Has anyone tried doing so with any luck?

Zoowatch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Sheffield, UK
livingfortoday said:
I have not tried to use a Lacie drive, but I have an external firewire DVD drive, and I have no problems watching DVD's through it.

hi that's reassuring to know
which brand of external DVD drive are you using?

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Hi, I have a LaCie Porsche DVD burner (FW) and it plays all dvds fine, as it opens the Apple player up to watch them with. It doesn't show the drive on my desktop but shows the dvd or whatever I have in there on my desktop. It's been great so far as the drive is a NEC 3500 in it which has been given good reviews in the past.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Another owner of a LaCie Porsche FW burner, and I also occasionally use it for watching DVDs. One thing though, especially with DVDs that are a bit dirty/scratched (like DVDs you get from a rental or your public library often are) is that VLC is much more forgiving than Apple's DVD Player. Often a damaged DVD will freeze up DVD Player to the point where I have to force quit it, while VLC, after a little hiccup, plays happily on... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.